Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to declare loans in other countries on an Irish mortgage application?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I moved to ireland in January and me and my fiance are planning to buy a house next year (she's Irish). I already have a mortgage on a house in England and also have a personal loan, I have no loans in ireland. I was wondering weather this will be checked when the mortgage company send off for a credit report and weather it will affect getting a mortgage approved.

thanks
    Audiboy

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You may or may not know this but your not a first time buyer if you own somethign in Ireland and I think that has an impact on your appliation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you have bought a house anywhere previously, you are not an FTB.

Yes it could affect your borrowing capacity, afaik, a credit check should unearth these details to the bank (although I'm not sure how much credit info IE/UK banks share).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

astrofool wrote: »
    If you have bought a house anywhere previously, you are not an FTB.

Yes it could affect your borrowing capacity, afaik, a credit check should unearth these details to the bank (although I'm not sure how much credit info IE/UK banks share).

You can get private credit checks done in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

audiboy wrote: »
    I moved to ireland in January and me and my fiance are planning to buy a house next year (she's Irish). I already have a mortgage on a house in England and also have a personal loan, I have no loans in ireland. I was wondering weather this will be checked when the mortgage company send off for a credit report and weather it will affect getting a mortgage approved.

thanks
    Audiboy

I was in the opposite situation a number of years ago. Owned property in ireland, moved to UK and wanted to buy. UK banks were able to access all info from Irish banks. I was advised beforehand as well by a bank employee that this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 audiboy

thanks for advice so what your saying is that i should declare all overseas loans and mortgages to my broker when applying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 audiboy

So what your saying is that i basically need to declare this to my broker when applying

I always thought i would be classed as a first time buyer as i don't and never owned a property in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So what your saying is that i basically need to declare this to my broker when applying

Not to do so could be considered fraud.
    I always thought i would be classed as a first time buyer as i don't and never owned a property in ireland

Your fiance would be considered a first time buyer before you marry, but once married your UK house will count against both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Your fiance would be considered a first time buyer before you marry, but once married your UK house will count against both of you.

afaik they will not be entitled to the stamp duty relief on a joint purchase, but she will benefit from the full interest relief

Advertisement