Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for my son..?

• 11-11-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭

OK
    As a few of you know I will be buying a car for my son shortly as he will be 18.
    Circumstances seems to change daily with choice of car after getting advice on here and from friends.

Anyhow.
    We are back to the SEAT Ibiza stage again 1.0 Litre.

I rang around today and went online as well for a few quotes.

1.3 -1.4 cars ( Mitsi Colt 1.3 and Citroen Xsara 1.4 ) as samples. = €2500 + :eek:

1.0 Litre Ibiza €1940 << This quote was got online ... Changed his details from male to female with the same criteria as him, and was horrified to see a female could get the same car insured for €900+ !!! almost 1 grand cheaper..

So
    I did a check.

Now. I do have my own car with full ncb so wont be using that.

I went for a new policy with him as a named driver.
    was above board with all questions. Used no driving experience for myself or him. Put down I had a full licence for 33 years ( true )
    2 points on my licence
    TPFT came back at €753..!! :cool:

Question is,
    Would this be legal?
    would he in fact be insured?

Couple of pointers here before anyone jumps to conclusions.
    He will NOT be driving on his own until he passes his test.
    Then I will arrange his own policy or sign this one over to him or something. ( will cross that bridge when we come to it )

I assume the car has to be in my name?

Anything I am missing out on here ? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

car would have to be in your name,

there was a thread here earlier about this but if he drives on his own the insurance will be void/invalid and insurance company could drop both of you if he is caught.

but it all seems fine,

being a named driver is pretty much the same as having your own policy !

my own insurance would be €3300 on my own (18 year old male, full license, 3 months, clean on a 1.6 vectra. as a named driver with my dad it would actually be €3500 :O )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I would think you would have to be the main driver of the vehicle (which you wouildn't be in this case) to have it totally legal. You could have trouble in the event of your son having an accident.

In the long run, your son will eventually need to get insurance in his own name and have to start building up his own no claims bonus which will be expensive in the early years of his own policy anyway.

You might be better biting the bullet, though I absolutely accept that this is difficult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Avns1s wrote: »
    I would think you would have to be the main driver of the vehicle (which you wouildn't be in this case) to have it totally legal. You could have trouble in the event of your son having an accident.

In the long run, your son will eventually need to get insurance in his own name and have to start building up his own no claims bonus which will be expensive in the early years of his own policy anyway.

You might be better biting the bullet, though I absolutely accept that this is difficult!

Well,
    As I said, Anytime he will be driving it I will be the one in the passengers seat. That is until he (if) passes his test and gets a full licence.. On that occasion the insurance would be transferred to his name and he can take it from there. At least it would (should) be reduced due to him having a full licence.

Why would I be in trouble if he had an accident with me in the car? :confused:

Not picking here.
    I just dont want any mistakes which could end up in court or anything ;)

vectra wrote: »
    Why would I be in trouble if he had an accident with me in the car? :confused:

You'd be the main driver and responsible for anyone else who drives your car (or his car in this case)... for you to be the main driver on the policy you'd need to be the owner of the car through the log book which will make it your car and you'd be again responsible for who drives your car.

If he were to crash your car on your policy the insurer will look to see why he was driving the car when it crashed and so on.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    You'd be the main driver and responsible for anyone else who drives your car (or his car in this case)... for you to be the main driver on the policy you'd need to be the owner of the car through the log book which will make it your car and you'd be again responsible for who drives your car.

So as long as I own the car everything should be fine?
    If he were to crash your car on your policy the insurer will look to see why he was driving the car when it crashed and so on.

But he would be ok as he would be a named driver, yes?

As long as I would be in the car at the time of the accident?

• Advertisement

So as long as I own the car everything should be fine?

yes.
    But he would be ok as he would be a named driver, yes?

yes.
    As long as I would be in the car at the time of the accident?

if your in the car with him then its no problem really if he crashed but if he was on his own and he did crash then it would mean bad news.

but with you there its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boru05

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but some insurance companies have serious issues with you having two cars in your own name insured with different companies. Check ye olde fine print of your own policy first. That's assumin you go down the two cars route of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

You seem to have covered everything but remember, the named driver cannot be the driver that uses the car the majority of the time, this should be "insured" person who btw needn't be the official owner buit it's probably easier if they are.

boru05 wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but some insurance companies have serious issues with you having two cars in your own name insured with different companies. Check ye olde fine print of your own policy first. That's assumin you go down the two cars route of course...

that shouldnt really affect anything...
    phog wrote: »
    You seem to have covered everything but remember, the named driver cannot be the driver that uses the car the majority of the time, this should be "insured" person who btw needn't be the official owner buit it's probably easier if they are.

the insurance company will not be ringing asking who's driving the car at any given time... again it wouldnt really make a difference.

nice thoughts though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Vectra, you'll be absolutely fine doing what you're doing. Buy the car. It'll be yours. Take insurance on it and add whoever you want as named drivers on the policy. If that includes your son with his learner permit, grand and dandy. Pay the premium and make sure he's accompanied until he passes his test. All good.

Once he passes the test, he can get behind the wheel and drive away all he wants. This crap about primary user/main driver is utter twaddle and pub talk. If an insurer issues a policy and accept a named driver they absolutely can not dictate a proportion of time that named driver can use the car relative to the policy holder. Doesn't happen. Why? Because it can't be measured, proven and therefore can't be enforced. So they don't waste their time - That's a fact.

The rest of ye, reciting second hand waffle and schoolyard drivel doesn't help anyone and won't turn you into an authority on the subject. Scaremongering stories like this have done the rounds for at least the last 15 years I've been listening to them. In that time nothing has changed - It's still just a rumour that does the rounds, scaring off those who are foolish enough to believe it. So come on now, save it for the pub....

• Advertisement

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Vectra, you'll be absolutely fine doing what you're doing. Buy the car. It'll be yours. Take insurance on it and add whoever you want as named drivers on the policy. If that includes your son with his learner permit, grand and dandy. Pay the premium and make sure he's accompanied until he passes his test. All good.

Once he passes the test, he can get behind the wheel and drive away all he wants. This crap about primary user/main driver is utter twaddle and pub talk. If an insurer issues a policy and accept a named driver they absolutely can not dictate a proportion of time that named driver can use the car relative to the policy holder. Doesn't happen. Why? Because it can't be measured, proven and therefore can't be enforced. So they don't waste their time - That's a fact.

The rest of ye, reciting second hand waffle and schoolyard drivel doesn't help anyone and won't turn you into an authority on the subject. Scaremongering stories like this have done the rounds for at least the last 15 years I've been listening to them. In that time nothing has changed - It's still just a rumour that does the rounds, scaring off those who are foolish enough to believe it. So come on now, save it for the pub....

Now thee's the post I was waiting for
    Thanks Gil_Dub
    Also thanks to robbie_998 for all the replies
    And to all that contributed.
    Now I can sleep with no concience :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yes.

if your in the car with him then its no problem really if he crashed but if he was on his own and he did crash then it would mean bad news.

but with you there its ok.

Why would it mean bad news?
    Only if he's accompanied by some who had full licence (min 2 years), he's fine to drive as named driver.

boru05 wrote: »

Only if you're cheating and trying to use the same no claims bonus on 2 different policies.
    If you have 2 policies, at the same time, but use your NCB just on one of them, you are absolutely fine then.

phog wrote: »
    You seem to have covered everything but remember, the named driver cannot be the driver that uses the car the majority of the time

Why not?
    Show me which part of any insurance policy says that named driver cannot use car even all the time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Quick one to throw in the pot.... if your son has an accident ( not wishing anything here)on your policy.... will you have to declare it on your other policy and fututre policies as, they some insurance companies ask, have you had any claims??? even though your son was driving and had an aciident, it is your insurance policy and as a result your Claim.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

CiniO wrote: »
    Why not?
    Show me which part of any insurance policy says that named driver cannot use car even all the time....

It is not the policy you need for this it is the proposal - whether online or paper it will ask driver details - within this it will ask regularity of use of the vehicle.

Secondly the proposal will ask is the only vehicle you own etc

In answering these questions you are entering into a legal contract of which the answers to these questions form the basis, the motor policy (and thereafter policy booklet) is issued to you on the back of this. Hence you have a duty at all times to notify the insurer if situation changes.

The issuing of an insurance policy is on principle of 'Utmost good faith' basically the insurer accepts everything you tell them without question at point of issue of the policy. They are entitled to investigate at point of any claim.

In proving true vehicle ownership a review such as who paid the maintenance costs, fuel etc would be reviewed.

Realistically the insurer will have rated the policy on the 'worst' driver anyway, the only benefit to insure a vehicle for your child is if you hold a no claims bonus which you are willing to give up (you definitely cannot use it for 2 policies).

if there is a claim then any statements or incident reports to garda/insurance regarding loss of car etc should be initiated by registered vehicle owner - even though in reality the child is often the de facto owner.

robtri wrote: »
    Quick one to throw in the pot.... if your son has an accident ( not wishing anything here)on your policy.... will you have to declare it on your other policy and fututre policies as, they some insurance companies ask, have you had any claims??? even though your son was driving and had an aciident, it is your insurance policy and as a result your Claim.......

Two separate NCB/D's in the case of two separate policies. So, if his son crashes the 'learner car' and there's a third party claim to settle for example, the NCB for the policy on that car alone is impacted.

Even if his son were to go as far as to write off that car and three others in an accident, it won't affect the OP's NCB on his primary vehicle policy, at least not unless he then wanted to add his son as a named driver on the remaining car/policy. In which case legally they'd need to inform the insurer that the proposed named driver had been involved in an accident etc etc. In which case, the NCB wouldn't be affected, but the premium would be hiked through the roof potentially.....

In any instance, unless a claim is made against a policy, the NCB should remain intact.

Two separate NCB/D's in the case of two separate policies. So, if his son crashes the 'learner car' and there's a third party claim to settle for example, the NCB for the policy on that car alone is impacted.

Even if his son were to go as far as to write off that car and three others in an accident, it won't affect the OP's NCB on his primary vehicle policy, at least not unless he then wanted to add his son as a named driver on the remaining car/policy. In which case legally they'd need to inform the insurer that the proposed named driver had been involved in an accident etc etc. In which case, the NCB wouldn't be affected, but the premium would be hiked through the roof potentially.....

In any instance, unless a claim is made against a policy, the NCB should remain intact.

Thats an interesting point there that robtri made

When renewing a policy I would be asked. "And claims or convictions"
    Do I answer yes or no.

A) Answer yes to be above board as it did not specify A policy.

B) Answer no knowing there was and they never said specifically which policy.

Hmm.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Thats an interesting point there that robtri made

When renewing a policy I would be asked. "And claims or convictions"
    Do I answer yes or no.

A) Answer yes to be above board as it did not specify A policy.

B) Answer no knowing there was and they never said specifically which policy.

Hmm.. :confused:

The answer is you should declare it - if you do not and the insurers find out then they are entitled to cancel your policy and avoid any claims. The '2nd' policy is also in your name, it is your contract therefore and you are responsible for any claims under it whether caused by you directly or a named driver.

In reality the chances that they will ever find out (short of you telling them) are slim, there is no information sharing in Ireland between Insurers.

Its a risk you will have to consider taking, and only you can make that decision - the black and white is that you should tell them.

Why would it mean bad news?
    Only if he's accompanied by some who had full licence (min 2 years), he's fine to drive as named driver.

sorry i ment if the son in this case was on his own and driving the car and crashed then it would mean bad news

but if he did have a fully licensed driver for min 2 years and crashed then it would most likely be treated like a normal accident.

• Advertisement

thebiglad wrote: »
    The answer is you should declare it - if you do not and the insurers find out then they are entitled to cancel your policy and avoid any claims. The '2nd' policy is also in your name, it is your contract therefore and you are responsible for any claims under it whether caused by you directly or a named driver.

In reality the chances that they will ever find out (short of you telling them) are slim, there is no information sharing in Ireland between Insurers.

Its a risk you will have to consider taking, and only you can make that decision - the black and white is that you should tell them.

How bloody wrong can a man be? Jeeebus.

If you're driving the second car and have an accident, you'll need to advise your insurance company for your first car and your second car when it comes to renewal time for both policies or if you're changing insurers mid term. They ask if YOU have had any accidents/claims/convictions etc. If you have an accident driving ANYONE's car, you need to tell your insurer truthfully when they renew etc. Otherwise you're making a false declaration and so on.

An ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SITUATION is that if your SON is driving the second car and has an accident, you DO NOT need to tell the insurer for your first car that YOU had an accident, because YOU didn't - Your son did, and that only impacts on the policy for the SECOND car along with the NCB for same. The son having an accident will only be relevant in relation to your first policy if you want to add him to that policy also as a named driver.

Also, there IS information sharing between insurers.

Why do people keep making things up and then trying to pass them off as a statement of fact, when you're patently wrong? :mad:

In the OP's case, there's absolutely no reason not to tell the truth, so don't be scared off by false assertions such as:

"The '2nd' policy is also in your name, it is your contract therefore and you are responsible for any claims under it whether caused by you directly or a named driver"

That's utter rubbish. Your insurer is responsible for meeting and paying out for the claims - You pay the premium, they accept and cover the risk.

Vectra, think of it this way. If your son crashes the car into a parked van or whatever, the insurance will cover the 3rd party costs and you'll pay the price by loss of any NCB earned under that policy, an increased premium at renewal for that policy and potentially the cost of repairs or loss of the second car..... But the other policy on your car remains unaffected - You haven't had any claims/accidents/convictions, have you?

This isn't rocket science....

Vectra, think of it this way. If your son crashes the car into a parked van or whatever, the insurance will cover the 3rd party costs and you'll pay the price by loss of any NCB earned under that policy, an increased premium at renewal for that policy and potentially the cost of repairs or loss of the second car..... But the other policy on your car remains unaffected - You haven't had any claims/accidents/convictions, have you?

This isn't rocket science....

Thanks
    actually as someone stated that on the proposal there would be a section asking if i have another car..Well.. I cannot see it anywhere in Quinn website.

Another example

Pug 306 on his own = €2511

Insure as my car and him as named driver €950 +

Thanks for all the help everyone. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Dont be listening to internet experts' legal advice - ask your insurance company or a broker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

To make a comment or two as aside from the legalities or illegalities as the case may be of your proposal Vectra.

You mention that you intend to buy the car for your son. Now this has never really struck me as a good idea. I know when I started driving (at 20) much of my peer group had cars bought and insured for them by their parents and they crashed rings round them, many of the accidents were quite serious. I think there is a lot to be said for a young person going out and earning the value of the car and in general I believe they would be more careful with it if they had. I probably have left myself open to ridicule with that comment though and I can't say I know your sons psyche.

Also could you quite honestly say that you or a fully licensed driver will accompany your son when driving at all times? I think in reality there will be sometimes that he would hop into the car himself "cos hes only popping down to the shop". I don't want to be a complete pesamist and God forebid but you might find this is the time an accident will happen.

Just to compare my own situation when I started driving. My father was a named driver on my uncles policy and I started driving with him as the main driver on my policy (his named driving experience helped in this regard). I was the owner of the car and it was registered in my name. This never caused me a problem but I don't think was fully above board all the same strictly speaking. For all intents and purposes I was the only driver of the vehicle (I don't think my father ever even sat in the drivers seat). Being quite honest unlike your situation there was not a lot of difference between this set up and driving under my own name as I managed to get my full license before I started driving and as father was on a provisional and had previously had a few minor accidents. In hindsight I should have probably started driving in my own name day one as there was less than a grand in it. To give you an indication off how insurance has come down. I was 20 years old (male also) on a full license and it was 2,200 euro under my fathers name. Would have being circa 3,000 in my own name. This was however in a car type 2 seater van with Quinn Direct. If it was a 5 seater car, even a 1.0 litre polo you could bump this figure up to 4,000 euro and if it was on said polo and I only had a provisional license you could bump the figure up to 5,000 euro. If it was anyway bigger car again the skys the limit if I was quoted at all on it! This was only in 2002.

You also mention the differnece between male and female. My advise is not to bother even trying to compare or reconcile the two as the difference is so immense. Fair enough young male drivers are statistically more likely to have a serious accident but by hell could some young female drivers give them a run for their money. Granted insurance companies need to go by statistics but if young males do not have an accident their insurance should come down immensly when building up their ncb (came down but not immensly in my case) or even they should be given money back I think. Conversly so if a young driver or indeed any driver has a serious accident due to downright incompetence their insurance should be absolutely loaded to the hilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AndyWhite

To make a comment or two as aside from the legalities or illegalities as the case may be of your proposal Vectra.

You mention that you intend to buy the car for your son. Now this has never really struck me as a good idea. I know when I started driving (at 20) much of my peer group had cars bought and insured for them by their parents and they crashed rings round them, many of the accidents were quite serious. I think there is a lot to be said for a young person going out and earning the value of the car and in general I believe they would be more careful with it if they had. I probably have left myself open to ridicule with that comment though and I can't say I know your sons psyche.

Also could you quite honestly say that you or a fully licensed driver will accompany your son when driving at all times? I think in reality there will be sometimes that he would hop into the car himself "cos hes only popping down to the shop". I don't want to be a complete pesamist and God forebid but you might find this is the time an accident will happen.

Just to compare my own situation when I started driving. My father was a named driver on my uncles policy and I started driving with him as the main driver on my policy (his named driving experience helped in this regard). I was the owner of the car and it was registered in my name. This never caused me a problem but I don't think was fully above board all the same strictly speaking. For all intents and purposes I was the only driver of the vehicle (I don't think my father ever even sat in the drivers seat). Being quite honest unlike your situation there was not a lot of difference between this set up and driving under my own name as I managed to get my full license before I started driving and as father was on a provisional and had previously had a few minor accidents. In hindsight I should have probably started driving in my own name day one as there was less than a grand in it. To give you an indication off how insurance has come down. I was 20 years old (male also) on a full license and it was 2,200 euro under my fathers name. Would have being circa 3,000 in my own name. This was however in a car type 2 seater van with Quinn Direct. If it was a 5 seater car, even a 1.0 litre polo you could bump this figure up to 4,000 euro and if it was on said polo and I only had a provisional license you could bump the figure up to 5,000 euro. If it was anyway bigger car again the skys the limit if I was quoted at all on it! This was only in 2002.

You also mention the differnece between male and female. My advise is not to bother even trying to compare or reconcile the two as the difference is so immense. Fair enough young male drivers are statistically more likely to have a serious accident but by hell could some young female drivers give them a run for their money. Granted insurance companies need to go by statistics but if young males do not have an accident their insurance should come down immensly when building up their ncb (came down but not immensly in my case) or even they should be given money back I think. Conversly so if a young driver or indeed any driver has a serious accident due to downright incompetence their insurance should be absolutely loaded to the hilt.

As a young male driver myself i completely agree with this quote. Im 18 and trying to save up for my own car now. Im not getting, nor looking for, any help from my parents on it. Ive been saving for quite a while and im still not quite there yet but some of my friends have had cars bought for them and its a joke how they act with them.
    If i manage to save up all that money myself, id be sure not to waste it by slamming the car into a telegraph pole.

also, have a look on quinn direct. Theyr by far the cheapest for young male drivers. Im getting quoted 1400 for a 1.2 in my name with my mam as a named driver. Ive had a full licence since february and over a years named driving experience so that should be the difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

claims department staff are not stupid.

Its when a claim is made that all the "lies" or falsehoods are spotted.

Your policy can be cancelled from date of inception an all own damae claims declined. 3rd party claims must be handled but the insurer has a right of recovery against the policyholder.

Short term gain can be long term pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

AndyWhite wrote: »

also, have a look on quinn direct. Theyr by far the cheapest for young male drivers. Im getting quoted 1400 for a 1.2 in my name with my mam as a named driver. Ive had a full licence since february and over a years named driving experience so that should be the difference though.
    TRy britton insurance. They are cheaper than most for younger drivers it seems from both personal experience and other users on here

Max Power1 wrote: »
    TRy britton insurance. They are cheaper than most for younger drivers it seems from both personal experience and other users on here

Just had a quick check. For third party cover: 3300. I think i'll stick with quinn. Thanks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Hello, I had a look through the posts here and can tell you from experience that if your son crashes the car you will loose your NCD on both policies.
    Don't be under the illusion that insurance companies don't share details, if a serious collision occurs you will find out very fast that they DO talk to each other. That's what solicitors get paid for.

Also your opening post suggests that you are going to lie starting off saying that you have no driving experience. Tell them the truth and you should get a discount, anyone is entitled to own as many cars as they want.

Just a passenger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

You can choose to protect to your no claims bonus too although it costs a little bit more. There is nothing wrong or illegal about a parent taking their child onto their policy and it is very very common. You will have to be the registered owner of the car but that makes no difference. O

ne thing though is for christ'ssake if you have any respect for your sons life do not put him into a 1litre car especially an Ibiza, survivability in a crash in one of those is poor and having the "power" :eek: of a 1litre engine will more likely be a contributing factor to a crash as when he goes overtaking and hits the gas he will find your average food mixer to have more power. A 1.9tdi Golf would be something more I'd be thinking, oh and make him stump up some of the cost also! Sorry for pontificating but its just my opinion.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    You can choose to protect to your no claims bonus too although it costs a little bit more. There is nothing wrong or illegal about a parent taking their child onto their policy and it is very very common. You will have to be the registered owner of the car but that makes no difference. O

ne thing though is for christ'ssake if you have any respect for your sons life do not put him into a 1litre car especially an Ibiza, survivability in a crash in one of those is poor and having the "power" :eek: of a 1litre engine will more likely be a contributing factor to a crash as when he goes overtaking and hits the gas he will find your average food mixer to have more power. A 1.9tdi Golf would be something more I'd be thinking, oh and make him stump up some of the cost also! Sorry for pontificating but its just my opinion.

Give an 18 year old with a provisional license a 1.9 golf? Im sorry but thats downright insane. he may be slightly more likely to survive in a crash but he's way more likely to be in a crash in the first place and kill the other person involved. Not only that but the insurance would jump up loads again.
    I'm 18 and trust me, id love a golf. But i would not buy one. far too risky. The temptation to drive fast would be far too much.

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    Hello, I had a look through the posts here and can tell you from experience that if your son crashes the car you will loose your NCD on both policies.
    Don't be under the illusion that insurance companies don't share details, if a serious collision occurs you will find out very fast that they DO talk to each other. That's what solicitors get paid for.

Also your opening post suggests that you are going to lie starting off saying that you have no driving experience. Tell them the truth and you should get a discount, anyone is entitled to own as many cars as they want.

I was never under the illusion of any such thing of companies not sharing info.

Also
    I did state in my original post that I would be with him 100% of the time until such time that he passes his test..Then the policy gets either cancelled or transferred to his name.

And when you say i was going to "Lie"
    Not quite accurate.
    I did say i had my licence for 33 years.
    New policy with no experience.
    If I do put down I have experience or was on some other policy then they will look for my NCB before they give me discount. So I thought the lesser of two choices is to simply take out a new policy.

As for the cars someone was talking about.
    I was only checking prices.
    Nothing concrete yet as to what to buy.
    Possibly a Pug 306 1.4

Why is that?

You are earning NCD on your policy. Say you've got 5 years. Then you decide to buy another car and get insurance for it.
    They won't allow you to use your NCD for both cars.
    I don't really understand why, but whatever.

But if thats how it works (NCD separate for every policy) why would someone loose NCB on both policies if he crashes only one car?

I think you don't know what you're talking about.
    I stared driving when I was 17. It was my dad's Fiat Cinquecento 0.7litre. Engine had 30 horse power, and accelerated 0-60mph in 30seconds.
    Anyway I learned to drive in this thing with no problems, and didn't kill myself.
    I also think, i was very good way to learn to drive and get ready for faster cars.

I think you don't know what you're talking about.
    I stared driving when I was 17. It was my dad's Fiat Cinquecento 0.7litre. Engine had 30 horse power, and accelerated 0-60mph in 30seconds.
    Anyway I learned to drive in this thing with no problems, and didn't kill myself.
    I also think, i was very good way to learn to drive and get ready for faster cars.

have to disagree for the sake of the clutch and brakes.

my first car was and still currently is 1.6 vectra and its brill learner car which is kinda weird but the pedals are the same in it as in most cars. micra's are crap for learning in because the clutch is absolute crap and the brakes are soo sharp that your skidding while bearly even touching the brakes.

Vectra maybe you should drive your own car then have a go at a micra and see the difference... you wouldn't want you kid in it and also with a bad safety rating and high insurance cos insurance companies ""KNOW"" that young males use these to learn in (not all cases but most) and run up the insurance cost regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

having the "power" :eek: of a 1litre engine will more likely be a contributing factor to a crash
    I disagree completely, and here's why...
    when he goes overtaking and hits the gas he will find your average food mixer to have more power.
    ...so, he won't be able to even consider overtaking unless he has clear lines of sight for about three miles in front of him :D.

Much rather that than believing that his tdi rocket (:rolleyes:) can safely overtake 20 meters from a bend.

I take your point whizkid, power can help get you out of trouble when you misjudge things. BUT an inexperienced young male driver is much more likely to come to grief from too much confidence than from too little power.

Vectra maybe you should drive your own car then have a go at a micra and see the difference... you wouldn't want you kid in it and also with a bad safety rating and high insurance cos insurance companies ""KNOW"" that young males use these to learn in (not all cases but most) and run up the insurance cost regardless.

Thanks but no thanks
    there never was and never will be an option of a Micra for him ;)

Thanks but no thanks
    there never was and never will be an option of a Micra for him ;)

hhmmm.... im confused

what i ment there is DO NOT GET HIM A MICRA OR ANY CAR OF THAT CATEGORY

as i said i learned in a vectra and the vectra is very similer to nearly all saloons and so its easier to just jump in a saloon and driver rather than having to re-learn the brakes and clutch :)

hhmmm.... im confused

what i ment there is DO NOT GET HIM A MICRA OR ANY CAR OF THAT CATEGORY

as i said i learned in a vectra and the vectra is very similer to nearly all saloons and so its easier to just jump in a saloon and driver rather than having to re-learn the brakes and clutch :)

Ah,
    Right. Sorry if I picked you up wrong.
    I agree.
    The only reason an ibiza was an option was merely Insurance costs being kept down,

On saying that Last year I bought a new SEAT Cordoba 1.4 TDIs and it is a breeze to drive :)

Why is that?

You are earning NCD on your policy. Say you've got 5 years. Then you decide to buy another car and get insurance for it.

But if thats how it works (NCD separate for every policy) why would someone loose NCB on both policies if he crashes only one car?

You loose your NCB if you make a claim, it doesn't matter how many policies you have. I'm telling you from experience that if you don't give full disclosure about claims and then a serious accident occurs your insurer will not have to cover you.

Yes you are entitled to a no claims discount on another policy, it's a discount given because you have not made a claim in the recent past.

Just a passenger

• Advertisement

Why is that?

A NCB is not given on the vehicle, it is given on to you. You the policy owner has the discount not the car. If you have claim free driving you are entitled to reap the benefits of that. If an insurer doesn't want to give you a discount on a second policy let them know that you will take your business elswhere. Lots of people have a second policy on a little sports car for weekends or a van or even a motorhome that all have incorporated their NCB discounts because they haven't made recent claims on their policy/ies.

Just a passenger

A NCB is not given on the vehicle, it is given on to you. You the policy owner has the discount not the car. If you have claim free driving you are entitled to reap the benefits of that. If an insurer doesn't want to give you a discount on a second policy let them know that you will take your business elswhere. Lots of people have a second policy on a little sports car for weekends or a van or even a motorhome that all have incorporated their NCB discounts because they haven't made recent claims on their policy/ies.

As far as I am aware you can only use your ncb on one policy at a given time :confused:

And when you say i was going to "Lie"
    Not quite accurate.
    I did say i had my licence for 33 years.
    New policy with no experience.
    If I do put down I have experience or was on some other policy then they will look for my NCB before they give me discount. So I thought the lesser of two choices is to simply take out a new policy.

Piece from your 1st post:
    "I went for a new policy with him as a named driver.
    was above board with all questions. Used no driving experience for myself or him. Put down I had a full licence for 33 years ( true )"

I'm sorry to argue but please read back over your 1st post on this. You said you have informed or will inform the insurance company that you have "no driving experience". How am I not accurate?

Get him a small car to start off with upto a 1.2L anyone putting a teenager into the driving seat of a 1.9tdi is mad.

Good luck with it.

Just a passenger

As far as I am aware you can only use your ncb on one policy at a given time :confused:

? Have you asked insurance company?

Just a passenger

Piece from your 1st post:
    "I went for a new policy with him as a named driver.
    was above board with all questions. Used no driving experience for myself or him. Put down I had a full licence for 33 years ( true )"

I'm sorry to argue but please read back over your 1st post on this. You said you have informed or will inform the insurance company that you have "no driving experience". How am I not accurate?

Get him a small car to start off with upto a 1.2L anyone putting a teenager into the driving seat of a 1.9tdi is mad.

Good luck with it.

Well,
    If you look at my post in the context it was meant to read you will notice that The Reason I did put in the part you are pointing out you will see I put it in because it was as a new policy.
    Not one where I cannot show my NCB as it is already used on my other car.

Tell me then.
    What should I put in?
    ? Have you asked insurance company?

No,
    Only filled in an online quote

OK
    Just rang Quinn there.
    Person told me I can take out a second policy.
    Fill in the proposal EXACTLY as I did with No driving experience as i cannot use my NCB.
    IF
    I was the only driver on both policies and was insured with them on both then I would get a 10% discount.
    also
    they would give me another discount called something like "Driver experience discount" they would give me something like 5 years of discount.

If I put a named driver on there
    ie.
    My wife
    my son.
    Then the discount is removed but I would still get the 10% off for holding both policies with them.
    He advised me to push my own insurer to take out a second policy and ask them for a discount for holding 2 policies.

So
    I guess if I have full Bonus protection on my main policy then all should be well?

Great stuff, only thing to do now is keep her between the ditches:pac:

Just a passenger

Great stuff, only thing to do now is keep her between the ditches:pac:

Shhhhhhhhh..!
    :D

Advertisement