Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaped hamster!!!

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine's hamster has escaped and is on the run for a couple of weeks now, she's tried putting food out to lure the hamster back to her cage but no luck, tried humane traps and no luck either, has anyone got any ideas how to catch her? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Are there still signs of the hamster around the place? Is it eating food that is left out for it? They can usually be lured back with food but if they go too far they will often disappear under floorboards and not be able to get back. I don't know of any other lure than food. They love chocolate...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My hamster got out once and lived in the chimney for a week :eek:

It took us ages to find him but we did eventually find him when he came back to get some bedding for his new home!

We lured him out slowly with some popcorn and caught him in a box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

phasers wrote: »
    when he came back to get some bedding for his new home!

We lured him out slowly with some popcorn and caught him in a box

Hhahaha, that is great.

My first hamster escaped quite a bit but he would always reappear within a day or two with some cajoling. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I only realised last Saturday that one of my dwarf hamsters had escaped when I saw him emerge out from under the telly.

Are there signs of the hamster around the place? If he's been gone a few weeks without trace, then I wouldn't consider that good.

They're nocturnal animals, so you should hear some trace/sign of them in the eveningtime/nighttime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Are there still signs of the hamster around the place? Is it eating food that is left out for it? They can usually be lured back with food but if they go too far they will often disappear under floorboards and not be able to get back. I don't know of any other lure than food. They love chocolate...

'cptr

NO CHOCOLATE! It is deadly poison & will kill them! It coats the inside of the pouch & causes a nasty infection :(

I get a bin - place food & tasty treats - maybe some apple or a grape use books to create a wide staircase up to the top - use a tiny amount of food every 2-3 steps & the hammy will fall in! I have used this method MANY times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Try the back of the couch...he has probably eaten a hole in it and has unpacked his cheeks full of food and is snuggled up in the foam!!
    That's where I found 2 of mine on separate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

FAYESY wrote: »
    NO CHOCOLATE!!

FAYESY is right, chocolate is bad for hamsters, however if you can't get a missing hammy out from behind the fireplace and a tiny bit of Dairy Milk does the trick then I consider it the lesser of two evils.

Any sign of the little blighter?

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

She's around at night alright, raids the dogs dish for food!! You've given me a great idea though, a bucket with soft bedding inside with "steps" up to the top and then put something like a sheet of paper that's stronge enough to support the bait, i.e. food but not the hamster, the plan is to draw the hamster out with the food up to the top of the bucket she falls in and mission accomplished!!! Well that's the plan anyway, I hope it works, thanks for the help everyone, i'll let ye know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I had to smile when I read the title of this thread. My own hamster had escaped last week and was on the run for a whole week which is a risky business in my house with all the Lurchers etc living here. I honestly thought that he had managed to get out through the open door but lo and behold, I found droppings in the cupboard under the sink and proceeded to trap him, including a trap with included a bucket, bedding and tasty food. He eluded all my attempts of re-capture and I was getting wuite piddled off as I had to keep the kitchen dog free because of the litte scut. Four days ago I was watching telly and who appeared on TOP of the telly?? Gabriel the hamster, now renamed Dr. Kimble aka The Fugitive. I captured him quite easily and he now sulking behind the bars of his cage. I hope you friend captures the hamster, they are quite inventive when on the run!

Advertisement