Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keane as a goalscorer!!

Options
  • 11-11-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

So alot seem to be questioning whether keane should be messin about on the startin line up at the moment or not but this makes an interestin read. stats from the season so far

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12038_5688495,00.html

Couldnt copy the part i wanted in correctly, so scroll down the page abit! its the top ten shots to goals ratio....he doesnt have a too bad a rate to be in the top 10! s'all i'm sayin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

whitey21 wrote: »
    So alot seem to be questioning whether keane should be messin about on the startin line up at the moment or not but this makes an interestin read. stats from the season so far

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12038_5688495,00.html

Couldnt copy the part i wanted in correctly, so scroll down the page abit! its the top ten shots to goals ratio....he doesnt have a too bad a rate to be in the top 10! s'all i'm sayin

I don think many are doubting his raw ability, but at the moment Harry should be picking the team on form, and if so, Keane would'nt be in the team for me.

Does'nt mean he wont play a huge role in our season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

I also spent some time on TheTimesonline/fantasy league looking at some stats (very sad!).

And Keane also compares very favourably with our other strikers on successful passes completed/per minutes on pitch and assists/per minutes on pitch.

Not sure what the problem is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Regardless of what people say his scoring record speaks for itself.

Ok, so he can't outsprint Lennon, Walcott, Henry, Torres etc, etc
    and yes
    he doesn't have a 78mph cannon ball shot like a Tony Yeboah
    or even the
    physical strength of Drogba

But the man has the natural instinct/vision to be in a goal scoring position at the right time. The most important ability for any goal scorer. Clive Allen, Ian Rush, Van Nistelrooy etc etc were all great goal scorers who had similar vision.

Sure Robbie has brutally missed some 'sitters' but then again other players wouldn't have got themselves into the position in the first place and unlike some of the great scorers I've mentioned, Robbie contributes a lot more to the team other than goals.
    He provides more assists than other strikers,
    he give's a 100% on the pitch always,
    he's far more inspirational than most of our other players,
    he shows more passion about the game than most of our players,
    he doesn't have an injury curse like some players,
    he trains far harder than any other team member,

Ok, I'm going on somewhat, I don't think Robbie is the best striker we have ever had but I do think he's better than average and certainly a lot better than what's on offer at most other EPL clubs.

His apparent drop in form, seem's to have been more noticeable since we lost Modric to injury. Intelligent players work well together. Don't be suprised if when Luka's back, you suddenly see a massive improvement in Mr Keane.

In the meantime we should be giving all the support we can and it will get better.

COYS

Yep, in an age of mult-millionaire players posing around not giving a sh1t about the club or the fans, I love the fact Keano plays with the same old-fashioned passion & determination.

I think this must have a great positive influence on some of the other tarts around him in the dressing room & on the pitch.

Alright, so not every flick comes off or chance gets put away. But he's always trying to unlock the door of defences rather than play safe or not get into the position in the first place!

Martin Jol called him one of his 'leaders' and i think Harry sees it the same way.

Judging by all the negativity, everything must not be coming off for him just now, but I agree, keep supporting him people!

p.s Lets try sticking Peter Crouch on the left wing or centre midfield and see how he handles it & what kind of 'form' he's in ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

robbie has that abilty to frustrate you for a full 90 minutes and do nothing the whole game....then pop up in the 92nd minute with a toe poke in a tight game....priceless...scores some great goals too..touches of genius... i find he often comes too deep for the ball because he can hang on the shoulder of a defender to outsprint him on a through ball...so quite often hes too far from goal to do any damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yep, in an age of mult-millionaire players posing around not giving a sh1t about the club or the fans, I love the fact Keano plays with the same old-fashioned passion & determination.

Yeah he really showed his loyalty when he begged to go to his boyhood heroes last summer, 2 months after saying he wanted to stay at WHL for life.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Yeah he really showed his loyalty when he begged to go to his boyhood heroes last summer, 2 months after saying he wanted to stay at WHL for life.
    Yep, he found out the grasser isnt always greener - whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

love that post but i am a keane fan (believe it or not!;))

i think he does add alot to the team but i feel he is under performing at the min. bundles of talent but i could name a few strikers i prefer to be one on one with a keeper.

Yep, he found out the grasser isnt always greener - whats your point?

You talk about his passion and determination. I am saying all that went out the window when he showed his true colours last summer. With that mask now gone all he should be picked on is ability or form.
    I for one will always cheer him when he puts on the Spurs or Ireland shirt but I will never ever take him seriously again if he starts spouting rubbish about how he belongs here etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

with keane one on one with the goalie, the goalie has a 70% chance of saving it in my opinion. with defoe the goalie would have 20%

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    with keane one on one with the goalie, the goalie has a 70% chance of saving it in my opinion. with defoe the goalie would have 20%

If only JD could shake off the obsession with smashing the ball into the net though and take a leaf out of Greaves or Linekers book that percentage would even be better. He cost us a win at Highbury a few years ago when one and one and also at Stamford bridge. All that was required was a side foot, he is obsessed with putting foot through the ball imo.

If only JD could shake off the obsession with smashing the ball into the net though and take a leaf out of Greaves or Linekers book that percentage would even be better. He cost us a win at Highbury a few years ago when one and one and also at Stamford bridge. All that was required was a side foot, he is obsessed with putting foot through the ball imo.

i would say that he gets that obsession from les ferdinand. les was also into the crazy hard shots and never place the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Looks good when they go in, in fairess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Keane has always gotten a lot of hassle in the last few years. People going on about how he never performs for Ireland and that he betrayed Spurs by leaving for Liverpool. I genuinly dont get what the hell these people are talking about. He has scored time and time again to get us out of tough spots, and works his hole off when a fair few of the Irish players dont seem to give a ****. He's been brilliant for Spurs over the years, helping us get through some bloody tough times.

And so what if he wanted a shot at Champions League football at his boyhood team of Liverpool. It wasnt going to happen at Spurs (at the time), and he didnt leave in a bad way. And then he came back, and yet again worked his ass off. Granted, his performances the last few games havent been his best, but he is an asset to any team (when he's not treated like ****....Benitez).
    Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

bull sh..t

bull sh..t

great post you ape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

believe me i have seen Defoe miss his fair share of one on ones due to the fact mentioned above,that he smashes every ball.I believe Robbie is a cleverer finisher.That's my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I cannot believe I am having to say this...
    great post you ape

Another post like that on here and you can find somewhere else to post, this forum does not exist for you to abuse other posters.

You talk about his passion and determination. I am saying all that went out the window when he showed his true colours last summer. With that mask now gone all he should be picked on is ability or form.
    I for one will always cheer him when he puts on the Spurs or Ireland shirt but I will never ever take him seriously again if he starts spouting rubbish about how he belongs here etc etc.
    I completely agree with you. But we were debating Keane's effectiveness on the pitch (whether its for Spurs, Ireland, Liverpool or who-ever), not his loyalty.

I think the question of debating any professional footballer's loyalty is easy - NONE of them have any!

A professional footballer will always put himself, family and career ahead of the fans or any one club, thats a fact of life i'm afraid so there's no point in getting hung up over every defection.

Even the ultimate Mr Tottenham, 'King of White Hart Lane', Glen Hoddle left Spurs in '87 for his personal dream of playing abroad. Now a player's dream seems to be to play Champions League football.

I think aslong as a player gives 100% for the club he's at, and respects the fans (i.e not celebrating a goal in front of your previous fans) then thats pretty much all we can ask for from the modern day footballer.

I cannot believe I am having to say this...

Another post like that on here and you can find somewhere else to post, this forum does not exist for you to abuse other posters.

and what about the post from terry mccarthy who said my post was bull ****. that person started it in all fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

and what about the post from terry mccarthy who said my post was bull ****. that person started it in all fairness

Attack the post, not the poster. That is a long-standing boards rule, he could have expressed himself a lot better but you have no excuse.

I'm not having this discussion with you, either in public or in private. We are all Spurs fans, curb your responses with that in mind.

fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

bagged a nice one for ireland tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

Havent been on this for a while after i posted it, but it is interesting enough topic and just like tonight, popped up to score again!!! And the whole should he start or shouldnt he start debate goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Not only did he score but he gave some great passes, and yet again he ran his ass off.

i suppose the next thing people will start to say is that kevin doyle had a great game

in my book running your ass off is only 25% of being a footballer. there is no point in just running around the place if you keep giving the ball away and have no end result . doyle didnt hit one shot on target, missed a sitter of a header and just ran around like a headless chicken. he put so many passes astray it was embarrassing. anyone that thinks that this is good play hasnt a clue about football.

look at the way anelka played. he didnt have to use a half of what energy that doyle used as he can actually play football and hit the target several times which last time i checked was important for a striker to be able to do :-). every time he got the ball he looked very dangerous. i know this is not much to do with this post but in all fairness robbie scored a nice little goal but missed at least two sitters after that. not a good enough return

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

i suppose the next thing people will start to say is that kevin doyle had a great game

in my book running your ass off is only 25% of being a footballer. there is no point in just running around the place if you keep giving the ball away and have no end result . doyle didnt hit one shot on target, missed a sitter of a header and just ran around like a headless chicken. he put so many passes astray it was embarrassing. anyone that thinks that this is good play hasnt a clue about football.

look at the way anelka played. he didnt have to use a half of what energy that doyle used as he can actually play football and hit the target several times which last time i checked was important for a striker to be able to do :-). every time he got the ball he looked very dangerous. i know this is not much to do with this post but in all fairness robbie scored a nice little goal but missed at least two sitters after that. not a good enough return

I think we all agree that Kevin Doyle is no Nicolas Anelka and i'm pretty sure most of us agree that we'd be more confident with defoe , but if you see the link in the original post, it shows that keane is 3rd in the top 10 in the PL for shots/goals ratio! Now i think thats a good stat for one of our strikers to be having, and its a stat we all would like to see our spurs strikers have :cool:
    Talkin about their all-round contribution...we could be here for years i.m.o:rolleyes:

I think Keano is on a losing battle to win you over!!

Meanwhile he just keeps on getting into those positions and scoring and scoring and scoring........

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Robbie Keane is past it and to blame for not taking his chances over 2 legs against France. I could have sscored the goal he got against France. He should have had 3 or four over the 2 games.
    He misses equally as much for the yids. Not god enough. Runs his ass off???
    so does stephen hunt. we wont footballers not lab rats on wheels. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

strikers dont score evry chance they get..if they did everygame would have 20 goals in them every striker on that basis should have 3 or 4 every game..keane has scored 41 goals in 95 games for ireland...not a bad return and before you go down the road of he scored against little teams,he has scored against france italy germany spain all in important games..i would rather have a stiker(keane or doyle)who show commitment and passion for their team whoever that maybe ,than someone like the current berbatov who wouldnt moved two yards to recieve a stray pass,part of a strikers game isnt just scoring,hes there to upset and intimidate defenders..not one french defender had an easy time on the ball the other night because keane and doyle were closing down and hassling them..thats called defending from the front and part of the "team"game...well done lads i think you did a great job the other night...

Advertisement