Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish and physical appearance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Pighead wrote: »
    Pighead's not usually one to brag but seeing as you've asked, yes Pighead is indeed stunning. If he were a chocolate he'd be a caramel barrel. If he were a bird, he'd be a majestic swan. If he were a field he'd be a beautiful field full of healthy barley.

Why try and squish the barrel, brendan? Why kill the swan? Why piss in the barley-field? Embrace Pighead's beauty and only then will you learn to love yourself.

The doctor said that im to stop loving myself after the last time he had to sew it back on, I will however embrace you if the offer still stands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Another ugly cunt generalising and putting others down to make themselves feel like they're normal.
    They could be a ride...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Daroxtar wrote: »
    And as i said already

Watch it. I won't warn you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

im ****ing ugly aka fugly
    i admit it though

but the girls in ireland are ok some stuners...some not so stunning :P same everywhere

but in some other countrys...its like all are perfect....besides big martha or gertrude (depends what country) behind the counter in the chippers

basically i see it as down to percentage
    a slightly higher percent of the stunners in some countrys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm no Adonis but sure f*ck it, looks fade eventually and I'd rather go out with somebody with some brains. If I can get looks & brains then wahey!

To bring it back to the OP, I disagree that the Irish are the ugliest nation, some Irish girls are absolutely stunning. By contrast some are definitely not attractive. Same as most societies really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Generally speaking the irish are short & stocky whilst the english are tall & lanky

one thing i noticed when i was there last is that there is alot of baldies over there compared to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

thethedev wrote: »
    Scottish women are as ****ing hot as ****

Slapper != Hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Once we are healthy and mind ourselves many of us are rather photogenic! Can't say I'm unhappy with the way I look, work hard at it and reap the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

fryup wrote: »
    Generally speaking the irish are short & stocky whilst the english are tall & lanky

one thing i noticed when i was there last is that there is alot of baldies over there compared to here.

That's pretty true about the Irish being short and stocky. One thing that typically occurs to me when in (Northern) European countries is how tall everyone seems compared to what I'm used to looking to. This was particularly pronounced in the Netherlands: I'd swear that the average male height there is 6'1" or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

To bring it back to the OP, I disagree that the Irish are the ugliest nation, some Irish girls are absolutely stunning. By contrast some are definitely not attractive. Same as most societies really.
    I agree .You can take the average Irish person , male female and once they put some effort into their grooming ie hair ,complexion, teeth and a sense of style ,they look as good as any of their British /European / American Counterparts .Some irish girls are just stunning to look at anyway and dont have to try to hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I wouldnt say the Irish were ugly in the looks department.
    The real failing Irish men and woman have is the complete neglect of their bodies once they get to their mid to late 20's.
    Some of the people I went to school with 15 years ago now look about 10 years older than me,no discipline at all.
    Big potato heads,jowls,beer bellies,grey ,balding.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

There is a very small difference between Irish and British people, there are a lot more of the tall, blonde people in Britain, possibly Scandinavian descendants. We, of course also have a few of these, just not as many.

The biggest difference in Irish and British ladies is that (in general) the average British girl is better groomed than the average Irish girl. I think they set the bar a bit higher. This might go some way to explaining why (as someone previously stated) they all look the same, given, the makeup, eyelashes, fake tan and dyed blonde hair.

While on a J1 visa a few years back you could instantly tell the difference between the English and the Irish girls from a distance on the beach, the English were tanned, had long straight shiny hair, the Irish were sun burned, had frizzy hair, Bikinis that didn’t fit and bellies. (I’m sure the Guys were the same!)

You see major differences in grooming standards Dublin in areas of different social class.
    What’s the difference between identical twin girls, separated at birth, one brought up in Summerhill, the other in Blackrock?
    One will have probably attended a private all girls’ school where (naturally enough) peer pressure and catty competition will drive the desire for a girl to improve her appearance. If she’s overweight she has a higher chance of developing an eating disorder than her twin. She'll act more lady like and will conform to a higher general standard.

Twin number two will probably eat from a deep fat fryer for most of her teenage years…… FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

pipelaser wrote: »
    What’s the difference between identical twin girls, separated at birth, one brought up in Summerhill, the other in Blackrock?

One will have probably attended a private all girls’ school where (naturally enough) peer pressure and catty competition will drive the desire for a girl to improve her appearance. If she’s overweight she has a higher chance of developing an eating disorder than her twin. She'll act more lady like and will conform to a higher general standard.[/font]

Twin number two will probably eat from a deep fat fryer for most of her teenage years…… FACT.

Loved that movie........ was De Vito the one from Summerhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

pipelaser wrote: »

shocking.
    she is so poor she can't even afford a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Melange wrote: »
    That's pretty true about the Irish being short and stocky. One thing that typically occurs to me when in (Northern) European countries is how tall everyone seems compared to what I'm used to looking to. This was particularly pronounced in the Netherlands: I'd swear that the average male height there is 6'1" or thereabouts.

It's actually pretty untrue; the Irish are on average taller than most nationalities in mainland Europe.
    The Scandinavians are on average marginally taller than the Irish.
    Dutch are the tallest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Pighead wrote: »
    Whatever you're into brummytom. Pighead will never judge you.
    http://www.dublins98.ie/wp-content/files/2009/08/Mary-Harney1.jpg

I dont get it, its a photo of mary harney, whats so funny about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

We're taller, where does this idea we're short come from? Celts rock!

Zardoz wrote: »
    I wouldnt say the Irish were ugly in the looks department.
    The real failing Irish men and woman have is the complete neglect of their bodies once they get to their mid to late 20's.
    Some of the people I went to school with 15 years ago now look about 10 years older than me,no discipline at all.
    Big potato heads,jowls,beer bellies,grey ,balding.

It seems to be that Irish people for the most part dont see a problem with going on a 2 week holiday and getting slaughtered every night.
    Battered sausage special is also considered an acceptable dinner or lunch and a fryup need be the only breakfast on a cafe menu and the masses will be satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Melange wrote: »
    this article, which suggests that the British aren't doing too well on the looks front, at least compared to the Scandinavians

I'm shocked and horrified by such an article.

I've been to both Britain & Scandinavia & would definitely say British girls are better looking.

Just check out my holiday pics for proof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

gene pool as well....
    romans...italians.... europeans....
    middle ages...high society moving...
    scandinavian decent in britian...
    here too.... not as much
    and then from the colonial period it was a super power....so lots of emigration...

"the english like to take over a people... and then get angry when they follow them home"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I dont get it
    You must be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I've been to loads and loads of places over the years, and I've never seen a city like Dublin for stunningly beautiful women. There's hoards of them.

The drawback is most of them have 'standards' and all that shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I've been to loads and loads of places over the years, and I've never seen a city like Dublin for stunningly beautiful women. There's hoards of them.

The drawback is most of them have 'standards' and all that shíte.

In Dublin they are just noticeable due to the high population density, which is normal in every city, Irish people go away on vacation and come back "Jasus the wimmens in X city" but in reality it is just due to seeing large volumes of people.

Seeing a really beautiful woman in rural Ireland is harder due to low population density and the fact that alot of younger people are away abroad and studying in colleges in places like Dublin. This year I could not get over the amount of beautiful Cork and Kerry women at the All-Ireland final, it really was surreal.

It is all not very relevant anyway as beauty is just a small part of a person, being compatible with the person and having shared personalities etc. is key.

I was in a bar in Liverpool recently and noticed these two stunning blonde girls ,early 20s and from their well groomed , tanned , healthy appearence assumed they might be either ' well bred ' English or Scandinavian girls
    While standing next to them at the bar , I said hello and after asking were they were from they replied 'Kerry ' .

Well I got the well bred bit right :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I've never seen a city like Dublin for stunningly beautiful women. There's hoards of them.

ya maybe, but i bet most of them aren't irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The mingers far outweigh the adonis's in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

fryup wrote: »
    ya maybe, but i bet most of them aren't irish

There's an easy distinction.

-Beautiful woman; not Irish, probably Czech, Swedish or a Spanish student

-Not particularly beautiful woman until doused in €48,500 worth of Brown Thomas clothes, ugg boots and Estee Lauder'd to the max, looks as though smiling may just kill her- Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All I know is: a comment or comments - negative or positive - regarding a particular trait in relation to an entire population made by some randomer, named or anonymous, should be rigorously monitored and analysed, e.g. some French woman listing the faults she finds with the Irish.

Particular attention should be paid when the statement is made by an English person in relation to the Irish.

Ah yeah but sure Irish fella's couldnt give a **** about how they look either.

Men and women in alot of cases just go out and get drunk and score other drunk people.

But appearences are everything .If guy/gal goes out looking like a slob he/she will attract like .If some slobby drunkard approaches somebody who has a sense of style and attractivness about them looking to score, they shouldn't be surprised if they are rebuked , male or female

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Latchy wrote: »
    But appearences are everything .If guy/gal goes out looking like a slob he/she will attract like .If some slobby drunkard approaches somebody who has a sense of style and attractivness about them looking to score, they shouldn't be surprised if they are rebuked , male or female

or a She Male ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I'm actually 6ft 4, blond, well built, and quite attractive.

Kiss my muscular ass, daily telegraph..

yes...but your from da south of sanity :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

brummytom wrote: »

The whole "black Irish" look (fair skin, blue eyes, dark hair) can be stunning.

Wayhey, I love you Tommy! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Wayhey, I love you Tommy! :cool:

Black hair?

Some Spaniard had their way with you ancestor!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

The standard of girls in Dublin nightclubs is unbelievable. Seriously beautiful girls everywhere

This "all the Polish girls are cracking" idea is a myth. I've worked with plenty of Polish and Czech girls and they were complete manly bowlers, big shoulders and chunky legs on them

There's good and bad everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

laugh wrote: »
    Black hair?

Yup!! And blue eyes.
    laugh wrote: »
    Some Spaniard had their way with you ancestor!

Hmmm.. not so sure about that, I'm quite pale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

brummytom wrote: »
    There's no such thing as an English appearance anyway - we're so multicultural here, it'd be impossible to try and describe a typical English person.

Disagree with that, there certainly is an English look. Back in Canada we actually are legitimately multicultural as we're a new nation and we're accepting of other nationalities, we never had a chance to develop our own "race" (not the right word but you know what I mean). You'd never really peg anyone as "Canadian" just by looking at them.

But when I was in England for six months, there was a definite English look, especially to the girls. Typically, the natural hair colour would be a bit of a mousey brown. Eyes are large but not particularly wide-set and mouth is typically small and a bit thin-lipped. Bone structure is relatively fine though it does vary a bit. You can pretty much tell an English girl by looking at them; men are a little bit more difficult but not by a whole hell of a lot.

Irish definitely have a distinct look, you could spot most of them a mile away. Small, fine-boned features, short stature as a rule, dark hair, light eyes. Teeth.. usually leave a bit to be desired. Irish women are stunning, imo, that or the ones here in Mullingar are exceptional. Lovely faces altogether. Men.. some are very good-looking but on average nobody particularly stands out. The Irish bone structure definitely suits women more; it amazes me that Irish men don't find them attractive as I think they're gorgeous.

EDIT: Also, the Irish tend to be the only "race" that mix black hair with full-body freckles. It's so bizarre!

liah wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, the Irish tend to be the only "race" that mix black hair with full-body freckles. It's so bizarre!

Thats the inbreeding and beastiality mixed with alcoholic sperm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

netwhizkid wrote: »
    This year I could not get over the amount of beautiful Cork and Kerry women at the All-Ireland final, it really was surreal.
    key.
    Latchy wrote: »
    I was in a bar in Liverpool recently and noticed these two stunning blonde girls ,early 20s and from their well groomed , tanned , healthy appearence assumed they might be either ' well bred ' English or Scandinavian girls
    While standing next to them at the bar , I said hello and after asking were they were from they replied 'Kerry ' .

There we go, keep on coming with the Kerry compliments!

Anyway people I know from other countries do makes comments that girls in Ireland are generally unattractive compared to most places. My Dad for one, but he's just an eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Disagree with that, there certainly is an English look. Back in Canada we actually are legitimately multicultural as we're a new nation and we're accepting of other nationalities, we never had a chance to develop our own "race" (not the right word but you know what I mean). You'd never really peg anyone as "Canadian" just by looking at them.

But when I was in England for six months, there was a definite English look, especially to the girls. Typically, the natural hair colour would be a bit of a mousey brown. Eyes are large but not particularly wide-set and mouth is typically small and a bit thin-lipped. Bone structure is relatively fine though it does vary a bit. You can pretty much tell an English girl by looking at them; men are a little bit more difficult but not by a whole hell of a lot.

Irish definitely have a distinct look, you could spot most of them a mile away. Small, fine-boned features, short stature as a rule, dark hair, light eyes. Teeth.. usually leave a bit to be desired. Irish women are stunning, imo, that or the ones here in Mullingar are exceptional. Lovely faces altogether. Men.. some are very good-looking but on average nobody particularly stands out. The Irish bone structure definitely suits women more; it amazes me that Irish men don't find them attractive as I think they're gorgeous.

I particularly stand out on average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think we're all rides :)
    Speak for yourself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

God, how insecure would you have to be, to have your 'beauty' evaluated by a website?

Very!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

What about these?

Futurism wrote: »

South Park has ruined every opportunity I get to meet people. Someone ALWAYS fecking references that the second they find out where I'm from, then I have to deal with people breaking out into "Blame Canada!" all night. :(

• Advertisement

South Park has ruined every opportunity I get to meet people. Someone ALWAYS fecking references that the second they find out where I'm from, then I have to deal with people breaking out into "Blame Canada!" all night. :(

I love winding up Canadians! Its so easy, just ask them if they are American, and when they say Canadian say 'where is that?"

I love winding up Canadians! Its so easy, just ask them if they are American, and when they say Canadian say 'where is that?"

The only reason it winds us up is because we've had to deal with it no matter where we go. It's not funny, original, or clever, and we're sick of formulating responses to it. EVERYONE does it.

It's like if every single person you met outside of Ireland insisted that you were a leprechaun or the guy from Lucky Charms.

Gets old very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

The only reason it winds us up is because we've had to deal with it no matter where we go. It's not funny, original, or clever, and we're sick of formulating responses to it. EVERYONE does it.

Calm down EH!

It's like if every single person you met outside of Ireland insisted that you were a leprechaun or the guy from Lucky Charms.

Gets old very quick.

cool so it works then!

from my experience Canadians get pissed off if you think they are American

When in America people might mention leprechauns, I giggle inside and maybe tell them stories about leprechauns

theyre 2 different reactions

• Advertisement
Advertisement