Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Names

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering where is the best place to buy a domain name? (ie or com)

Thanks,

Valerie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 policymaker

hosting 365

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You will find there are loads of companies doing domains and hosting in Ireland..rather than just taking advice from people shouting out names of companies id check the price for the domain you require, if possible get the .ie and .com of the domain you are looking for.

blacknight
    hosting365
    letshost

would be the main ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

Axwell wrote: »
    You will find there are loads of companies doing domains and hosting in Ireland..rather than just taking advice from people shouting out names of companies id check the price for the domain you require, if possible get the .ie and .com of the domain you are looking for.

blacknight
    hosting365
    letshost

I don't use .ie any more, but if I was buying I would use letshost.ie they were the first to drop the prices to a good level and bring in some real competition.
    I have used them before to buy .ie and found their service very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 policymaker

blacknight
    hosting365
    letshost

Hosting 365 are are streets ahead of blacknight and letshost in service and cost Axwell - also they are reknowned in the Irish tech world for their excellent service to new users to hosting, hence my answer to the question.
    Who hosts ask about money or the Irish Internet Association? - now you clearly are full of non sense if you direct a new user to blacknight. anyways.....some people give one line brief answers and some dont, you dont so keep your opions of others to yourself

Hosting 365 are are streets ahead of blacknight and letshost in service and cost Axwell - also they are reknowned in the Irish tech world for their excellent service to new users to hosting, hence my answer to the question.
    Who hosts ask about money or the Irish Internet Association? - now you clearly are full of non sense if you direct a new user to blacknight. anyways.....some people give one line brief answers and some dont, you dont so keep your opions of others to yourself

They are looking for a domain, they never mentioned hosting. I gave them my opinion of the 3 main people to compare. You will find on a forum like boards thats what happens, people give their opinions. If you dont like people giving their opinion then maybe boards.ie isnt for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

Hosting 365 are are streets ahead of blacknight and letshost in service and cost
    don't know about costs but Hosting 365 have one of the worst reputations around, the way they handled all the major problems they had last year destroyed them.
    I spend about 10k a year on hosting and look around every year for best price and I wouldn't deal with hosting 365 has I am a former very unhappy customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

I use letshost for .ie domain, godaddy for .com and I check out domain on lcn.com because their name-checking is the slickest I've seen.
    All the above for domain purchases, not hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dakor

If you are just purchasing a domain name then it doesn't matter who you use as they all provide the exact same service. Go for the cheapest.

Policymake above names the three main companies in Ireland that provide domain names, check those out first and then Google for '.ie domain name'

If you are purchasing hosting then 'caveat emptor' shop around, get advise. Customer service and constant security upgrades should be your highest priority. Pay a little extra if you have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Accountancy

Thanks very much for replies.
    I now have another question.
    What is the diff between hosting and buying?
    If i buy do i won indef? Or is it a early thing?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Letshost are the cheapest for IE domains and have been for a good while.
    Prices here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

You buy your domain name (company.ie)
    You host your website. ( where your website is stored so it can be accessed on the web)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dakor

Thanks very much for replies.
    I now have another question.
    If i buy do i won indef? Or is it a early thing?
    Thanks.

When you buy a domain name, it belongs to you or your company. You still have to pay a yearly fee to keep it though. Once you stop renewing your domain name you will lose it.

Hosting is the process of placing your website on a server. A server is just a powerful computer that serves websites to the Internet. Hosting can usually be purchased from the same company that you buy your domain from. However, you can purchase your domain from one company and host your website with another.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Accountancy

I now understand.
    Thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Didn't see them mentioned here but I use myhost.ie. I orginally bought domain name from irishdomains but was spending over 60 euro a year just for having the domain name registered.
    Now that I am pretty close to starting trading I contacted Irish domains and they were going to charge me an extra 150 euro plus VAT for the hosting of the site. I think I paid myhost.ie about 60 euro for a year including VAT.
    Will be paying about 25 euro a year for the domain registration with them.
    Any opinions on myhost anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

It depends on what you want but I would go with a .com and a hosting package from bluehost. I use them and have used several hosts. Bluehost is by far and away the best.

I know they are not Irish but the Irish hosting providers are on the more expensive end of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It depends on what you want but I would go with a .com and a hosting package from bluehost. I use them and have used several hosts. Bluehost is by far and away the best.

I know they are not Irish but the Irish hosting providers are on the more expensive end of the scale.

If you're targeting an Irish market you're going to want either a .ie, or hosting based in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kustomized.ie

I went with register 365 are these the same guys as hosting 365 if not does anyone have any experiance with them? they seem to take a long time to approve the domain...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

I went with register 365 are these the same guys as hosting 365 if not does anyone have any experiance with them? they seem to take a long time to approve the domain...

Hosting365 do not sell domain names they sell dedicated hosting

They used to own Register365 but sold it to Names.co.uk last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Hi,i was checking out the domain name I wanted on a few of the sites recommended here and I have found the one I want for about €30,I would not be using it for a couple of months,I just basically want to secure the name and was going to get it just for a year to start with,I presume I would have first preferance to renew this name with the company?.
    Also I dont see any extra email addresses,do you have to buy extra ones with the domain name?.
    And lastly,I will be doing some business in Northern Ireland,is my ie name ok for this or should I be looking for .com?
    Just checked lethost,they say its available for €12.50

If you own the name then it is due for renewal a year from the date you get it - when the renewal is due you will be notified a few weeks before that and given the chance to renew it. If you dont then it goes into a grace period before being released back out into the available domains.

Email addresses are part of the hosting not the domain - you need to have hosting attached to the domain and its there you setup the emails.

.ie is fine but you should probably get the .com as well just so no one else does and if you plan to be trading elsewhere or have a brand that you think will grow outside of Ireland.

Just a note if you are going for the .ie you will need to have registered a company or a business name with the CRO to be entitled to get the .ie domain.

• Advertisement

If you own the name then it is due for renewal a year from the date you get it - when the renewal is due you will be notified a few weeks before that and given the chance to renew it. If you dont then it goes into a grace period before being released back out into the available domains.

Email addresses are part of the hosting not the domain - you need to have hosting attached to the domain and its there you setup the emails.

.ie is fine but you should probably get the .com as well just so no one else does and if you plan to be trading elsewhere or have a brand that you think will grow outside of Ireland.

Just a note if you are going for the .ie you will need to have registered a company or a business name with the CRO to be entitled to get the .ie domain.
    Thanks for the reply Axell,I am hoping to bring in investors soon and then deal with the website,i just thought to have the name secured for them would look good.
    Its mainly an Irish concern and the brand is not massivly critical outside Ireland but i am going for a trademark at the patents office.
    So I guess I securing the name with Letshost for 12.50 for the year is a no brainer really and worry about the hosting when we start setting up the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you want to protect your interests you should look beyond .ie domains and try to get both the .com

If you don't get it then someone else could easily ..

Blacknight wrote: »
    If you want to protect your interests you should look beyond .ie domains and try to get both the .com

If you don't get it then someone else could easily ..
    Thanks for the tip Blacknight.

Advertisement