Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun laws and individual freedom in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Nodin wrote: »
    ...and acted in a far more cunning manner, but served a much lesser sentence.

As this thread is getting entirely derailed, I think it best we agree to drop the subject.

That's tangential - you're headed off into the how and not the what of what he did. I stand over my assertion but I'm more than happy to stop discussing it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sparks is at a training camp in Finland, probably won't be debating here for the next week or so I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

BornToKill wrote: »
    Here's just one then:

'MacArthur decided to fund his lifestyle by robbery. First he decided to purchase a gun and responded to an advertisement by Dónal Dunne, a farmer ... who had a shotgun for sale.'

I'm not familiar with the case, but Sparks originally said 'there is no recorded case of a stolen but originally legally owned firearm being used in a crime.'

The above case doesn't prove that statement wrong (not that I'd be entirely sure the statement is correct, just that the case you're linking doesn't exactly work to disprove it). Firstly, if MacArthur bought a shotgun from Dunne, it's not stolen.

Secondly, if Dunne sold it to MacArthur without ensuring MacArthur had a shotgun license, it's no longer legally owned. Or so is my understanding of the regulations - you're not allowed sell a shotgun to someone who doesn't hold a license.

Edit: Incidentally, I can't find the part you've quoted in the article you linked - is it from a different source?

Another edit: A google search turned up the article - Wikipedia - which actually does state the shotgun was stolen. And used by MacArther to murder Dunne on the pretext of "examining" it. Christ.

Advertisement