Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French document for the oral?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

My French teacher has started asking us to decide on a document to use for the oral (cause we're doing practice orals atm) He said it can be a picture, and I was thinking of bringing a picture from a concert I went to. But I was wondering what kind of stuff the examiner would ask me about it? Like how I got there, queuing up, the actual concert etc?

Or is there a better document anyone could suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Pick something that you find easy to talk about but that you have a lot to say on at the same time........a hobby/pastime maybe...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I was originally going to use that as my document for the oral. My teacher told me to prepare answers on the band (name each member) or singer, talk about their music, how you got to the concert, when it was, who you went with, problems with alcohol and drugs at concerts, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

If you've ever been to France?? Something that you have LOADS to talk about and are passionate about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

you dont have to bring a document!!! :mad:

mink_man wrote: »
    you dont have to bring a document!!! :mad:

It's a good idea to. It means you have about 2-3 mins worth of stuff you've completely prepared to talk about, and have less of the general chit-chat to wade through. It was a godsend in my oral :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

look up the french film le scaphandre et le papillon watch it and see what u think.its very moving and u could u use it!or try other french films!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

I was originally going to use that as my document for the oral. My teacher told me to prepare answers on the band (name each member) or singer, talk about their music, how you got to the concert, when it was, who you went with, problems with alcohol and drugs at concerts, etc.

I think I'd definitely be able to talk the most about the concert :)

laura93 wrote: »
    I think I'd definitely be able to talk the most about the concert :)

No, I found a different picture that let me talk about more things instead. Although if the band/singer from the concert is from somewhere interesting (for example mine was Nightwish, who are a Finnish band), you could mention how you were on holidays there one time (if you were) after the main concert stuff. There are loads of ways to lead the conversation in the oral so it works for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭laura93

No, I found a different picture that let me talk about more things instead. Although if the band/singer from the concert is from somewhere interesting (for example mine was Nightwish, who are a Finnish band), you could mention how you were on holidays there one time (if you were) after the main concert stuff. There are loads of ways to lead the conversation in the oral so it works for you!

It was a Pink concert, since she's American, I could probably be like "I'd love to go to America, I have relations there" or something? Thanks for all of your help :) French is probably my weakest subject, so anything that will help me do better is great :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laura92XxX

i'm doing mine on new york talking about a family holiday as hopefully it'll lead into my family and ill have to talk about them or where id like to travel...thats the plan anyways :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

To the OP: is it not slightly late to just be starting to work on your document?If you're confident enough with it, then go for it by all means. Don't forget to work on all the other stuff too!
    laura92XxX wrote: »
    i'm doing mine on new york talking about a family holiday as hopefully it'll lead into my family and ill have to talk about them or where id like to travel...thats the plan anyways :(

In all likelihood, you'll already have discussed the subject of your family by the time you get to your document. It's not usually the first thing the examiner talks about, they usually leave it until the end.
    I wouldn't bank on just these questions. Such a picture could lead to questions like (off the top of my head):
    - what did you do in New York?
    - what famous places did you visit?
    - would you like to go there again?
    - was it expensive?
    - do you think less people are going to New York to shop because of the recession?
    - what are the differences between New York and where you live? Or between America and Ireland?

I can't think of anymore right now.. and I'm not saying you will be asked anything difficult, I'm just pointing some things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

MavisDavis wrote: »
    Such a picture could lead to questions like (off the top of my head):
    - what did you do in New York?
    - what famous places did you visit?
    - would you like to go there again?
    - was it expensive?
    - do you think less people are going to New York to shop because of the recession?
    - what are the differences between New York and where you live? Or between America and Ireland?

I can't think of anymore right now.. and I'm not saying you will be asked anything difficult, I'm just pointing some things out.

True, but in all fairness, we could be asked anything off topic, even from saying the simplest things. For example, we could be asked about our school day, timetable etc. and then that could lead on to the government's plans for education.

OP, if you're well prepared, it will show. Remember, 2 weeks at Easter:)

Advertisement