Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone not drink and NOT an alcoholic?

Options
  • 11-11-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I dont drink I did for a bit as a teenager but even before my 18th birthday had given up. Does anyone else not drink just to not get the hangover or feel like crap?? People always seem to ask me "have u a drinking problem" if I say I dont drink!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sunflower09

im the exact same , hate the feeling the next day depressed, eating junk, theres nothing better than waking up on a sunday with a fresh head and loads of energy!

whats the point waste of money, fair enough now and then and for special occasions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If you pick what you drink carefully, you wont get a hangover.

For example, I never get a hangover when I drink decent rum or decent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Yeah thats mainly why I gave it up.
    These days I think i'm a bit alleregic to alcohol since then, as I get a bit of a headache if I have the smallest taste of it.

Anyhow defo don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Nope, not an alcoholic. Just really don't like the taste of alcohol. Not worth the money or the headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yeah, not an alcoholic, just never into drinking. Hate the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Not an alcoholic just terrified of drinking:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

i dont drink and never really did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i love the way people react when you tell them you don't drink. It's like you've told them you've got a fatal disease. they immediately get uncomfortable and try to change the subject.

it's actually quite amusing to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Roar wrote: »
    i love the way people react when you tell them you don't drink. It's like you've told them you've got a fatal disease. they immediately get uncomfortable and try to change the subject.

Heh, indeed. It's like you're no longer fit to be seen with :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Roar wrote: »

I always get that awkward stare when I tell somebody I don't drink.
    Some girls go 'awwwww' as if I'm an adorable puppy. Others say 'What do you do for fun?'. Christ, just because I say I don't drink, doesn't mean I can't have a good time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I don't not drink, but I've never felt the need to drink to a point where I'm drunk. Just don't see the point in it. Alcohol along with tobacco are the worst drugs you can get, there're better things out there for you. Though if anyone asks, I don't drink, saves me the explanation... And aye, I love the stare you get as if "are you ****ing mad o.O?" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Larkin91 wrote: »
    Some girls go 'awwwww' as if I'm an adorable puppy. Others say 'What do you do for fun?'. Christ, just because I say I don't drink, doesn't mean I can't have a good time :mad:

People cannot seem to grasp the idea that I don't like alcohol. Had my fair share of it up to about two years ago, the usual teenage stuff, nothing exciting, but now I don't see the point throwing money down the toilet basically! In exchange for a headache the next day! When I go out with friends and don't drink some look at me like I have cancer, others say " If your stuck for cash dont worry I'll sort ya out" :D

Too funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Just don't drink, think it smells awful and was a bit put off by seeing what it does to people in large doses. Which wouldn't be great as I'm apparently known for having an addictive personality. Not into the idea of losing any bit of control over myself either.

I'm a bit annoyed because the people who bother me about not drinking are the very ones that tell me that I have addictive tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

go in much for the word 'alcoholic'. Its a word that lets a lot of people off the hook, particularly in Ireland.

In Ireland an 'alcoholic' is somebody who drinks in the morning and pisses blood and passes out in a pool of his own wazz outside the train station. Everyone else is 'grand'

In reality there is a whole spectrum of alcohol-related behavioural problems. There isn't just "Alcoholics" and "Non-alcoholics".

In Ireland many, many people have a damaging relationship to alcohol: One where their emotional growth is stunted and they never learn to be properly developed human beings , because they are drunk for most of the defining moments of their lives: For many (or maybe most) Irish people alcohol intoxication defines the very parameters of their humanity: Joy , celebration, romance, sex, friendship, self-worth, relaxation, all are sublimated into one thing: Being drunk.

This is an extremely unhealthy way to spend your life as a human being, but in Ireland its the norm.

So in answer to the question, am I an alcoholic? In Irish terms no. In the terms of more mature cultures, yes I was, so I gave it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yeah I have been there.

After tasting drink it never appealed to me.

I also avoid it as it has the power to change peoples mind set. 95% of my best conversations with my dad were when he took beer. 95% of my worst conversations with my da came when he flipped our for no reason after taking drink. I never want any part of things that could make me that manic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

im not an alcho and i recently gave up drink again no idea how long it will last

there is a big history of alcoholism in my family and addiction in general so im well aware of this and tend to be cautious in that regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Im 18, decided recently to stop drinking after about 2 or 3 years getting drunk. I dont have a problem or anything like that i just dont like being drunk all that much and theres no point drinking if your not going to get drunk. about 2 months ago a friend of mine had a session and was thinking of giving up at the time, i went up anyway and within 2 hours got myself so drunk that i forget the whole night but was told i puked all over the place and had to be driven home(unusual for me as i drank a lot less than i usually would but drank fast). friend had another session there last week , hadnt drank since the last time i was there, drank 5 cans, didnt really enjoy them all that much and didnt feel very drunk either, so after that i pretty much decided to give up the drink since ive better things to spend my money on,

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'm 22. I drink occasionally, I've been drunk maybe 4 times since I hit 18 and there's no reason other than that I don't like the taste! Never gotten used to drinking, I hate not being in control of my faculties and when I see people reducing themselves to even less intelligent versions of themselves with copious amounts of alcohol.... it's kind of depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lostdesign

Used to drink alot in college but had a love hate relationship with it, I enjoyed it too much and it hated me, It just didn't aggree with my body. I get a hangover whether I have one beer or ten and its very difficult to explain that to your friends, they just think your pulling their chain.

Decided it was time to give it up, friends still dont understand but I dont care anymore, its such a waste of money and ruins the following day. I have the odd drink, but that just puts me off evenmore.

The day when the average Irish person doesn;t get scared when a friend says there not drinking tonight or dont drink will be a defining moment in our culture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I only start drinkin when I was 17, not much, but outta boredom / to be a rebel

I never drank much when I start clubbin

Been drunk like 2ice, and wasnt bad at all

Never been hungover

I don't drink as I dont want or need to

Theres too many benefits to not drinkin, and Zero for actually drinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So do all you guys still go to the pubs much?? Or what?

Just curious as to whether you go out and have a mineral or go to the cinema or whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'm personally more than happy to go to a pub of an evening for one or two pints of cider, if I'm going for a chat with friends. I'll do the same at a house meet. I avoid clubs like the plague, though house parties can be a laugh (and are the only time I'll drink excessively). I'm happy to go to the cinema, I love it actually, but am quite content to go alone so it doesn't matter whether it's a social thing or not. I'd rather meet people for lunch, coffee, dinner, and early drink, a late night in or a cinema trip. Most people aren't into lunches and dinners though.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I'm 26 and I've never drank. My parents both battled with the booze while I was growing up and spending weekends in the pub as a kid put me off for life.

I don't go to bars as much as my friends would but if I do go out I'll have a mineral and then water for the rest of the night. Doesn't bother me what anyone else thinks. Luckily, I've gravitated towards company who don't tend to drink to get drunk and might have one or two. I have quite a few friends who don't drink at all.

The culture in Ireland saddens me and it is so refreshing to go abroad and see the healthy attitude toward drink there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I've never drank, I find other things to do. I used to go to clubs but just got bored of them after a while, same old thing. Don't see the appeal of going to a packed room where you have to shout to hear your friends and deal with people who can't handle their drink. Go ahead and get "locked", just don't bother me. Bowling, pool, a film and many other fun places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I drink very little also. Just not into pubs and clubs at all really - except if it's a nice quiet cosy pub and not noisy! I feel like i'm old before my time sometimes! I have never been drunk - i just don't see the point. I like to have a drink at home at Christmas or whatever or if i'm out for a meal but that's it really. I've agreed to go out Stephens night with friends but am kinda dreading it as Stephens night is one of the busiest of the year - people converge on the city as if the pubs have been closed for a year! Unfortunately Ireland is not a good country to live in if you aren't into drinking till you can't stand up anymore!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Others say 'What do you do for fun?'. Christ, just because I say I don't drink, doesn't mean I can't have a good time :mad:

I get that one a lot. They don't believe me when I tell them I can have fun and happy times without alcohol!

Same with drugs. I don't take drugs yet often get hit with "what makes you happy so?"

I am always soooo close to saying if you need alcohol or drugs to make you happy, you need to see a psychiatrist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DarkSeraphim

I drank when i was younger like 15 but i haven't drank an alcoholic drink since the age of 16. It was nothing addictive just your regular experimenting as a kid. I am now going on 25 now and i am still not interested in drinking alcohol and i can honestly say i am sure i never will.

I can't see one good condition to drinking. I know some people say they need it to be social and get up dancing but it shouldn't cause you to damage your health just to do these things.

I Hate the feeling of being sick.. fever.. chills.. head ache.. bad stomach.
    No energy.. dehydrated etc so there is no way i would willingly bring that upon myself.

I go out like everybody else, i dance the night away. i leave the club on a natural high. i get food. i go home or to a house party. i always remember everything and i am totally in control and the most that will happen is i have a great night and wake up feeling tired.

I wish Ireland had more social events that didn't include alcohol. I mean i think most people drink due to bordom and the fact that pubs seem to be the most accessable places for people to get together and social.

Anyway i'll stop ranting on lol.. Hope everybody is enjoying the christmas holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

go in much for the word 'alcoholic'. Its a word that lets a lot of people off the hook, particularly in Ireland.

In Ireland an 'alcoholic' is somebody who drinks in the morning and pisses blood and passes out in a pool of his own wazz outside the train station. Everyone else is 'grand'

In reality there is a whole spectrum of alcohol-related behavioural problems. There isn't just "Alcoholics" and "Non-alcoholics".

In Ireland many, many people have a damaging relationship to alcohol: One where their emotional growth is stunted and they never learn to be properly developed human beings , because they are drunk for most of the defining moments of their lives: For many (or maybe most) Irish people alcohol intoxication defines the very parameters of their humanity: Joy , celebration, romance, sex, friendship, self-worth, relaxation, all are sublimated into one thing: Being drunk.

This is an extremely unhealthy way to spend your life as a human being, but in Ireland its the norm.

So in answer to the question, am I an alcoholic? In Irish terms no. In the terms of more mature cultures, yes I was, so I gave it up.

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

nah i dont drink either. did all the knacker drinkin I could when i was a teenager, but when I go out Id be first one on the dance floor, and have a deadly night, without needing drink at all. so just dont want to!
    Its crazy the difference in price of a night out too!
    Plus, I love the taste of Coke so for as far as taste is concerned im sorted there, I dont like the taste of drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Im 36 now and I have never touched a drop of alcohol and my mates never put pressure on me to have a drink. they accepted that I didnt want to drink and that was that. When I meet other people and they find I dont drink they ask why? do you have a drink problem?, they cant seem to understand that I just dont want to drink. As a bloke what I find most interesting is the attitude of some women when you are in a pub or club and you tell them that you dont drink, they then distrust you, thinking that you will try to get them drunk to have your way with them. I actually had on ex break up with me because I didnt drink, she said she couldnt handle it that I was sober when we were out. :rolleyes:

Advertisement