Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone not drink and NOT an alcoholic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

I for one was never really into drinking, done the usual stuff early on. Then found an activity I really enjoyed. Drink and it didn't mix. Also alot of issues in my family have been around drink, so for that I'm not pushed on it. I have been diagnosed a Coeliac and can't have beers. Can have cider but not pushed so I rather be a tee-totaler. Got the usual replies when I was younger oh your not drinking, ah go on you'll have one. Am No I won't. People realised that If I said No that was it, end of. Can have more fun and enjoy oneself with out been drunk. Don't see the appeal of it. What a waste of the next day as you die of a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Luluk

I'm 29 and I've never drank alcohol. Seeing the effect of the stuff on people I care about has turned me off it for life. Even the smell of alcohol makes me queasy.

I've had people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I don't drink. One guy even asked me if it was for religious reasons. People here just can't seem to grasp the concept. I worked in the Middle East for a few years and it was such a relief to get away from the pub culture, to live in a place where people find activities other than drinking to entertain themselves, where people enjoy good food and conversation etc. Now I'm back in Ireland I go to the cinema, theatre, concerts, bowling, pool, play videogames etc. You don't need alcohol to have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Never spotted this forum before. Quit about a year back but purely for health reasons; I'd had a bad flu and wasn't handling even a mere pint well. Decided to knock it on the head and I'm flying for it. No intention of ever going back either.

Certainly had my wild nights out but never had a drink problem, but as with many here I do get odds looks when I say I don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 site

how are ye all keeping?

I am in my mid 20s and have never touched drink. When I was at secondary school everyone in my class was drinking and the mentality was you were queer if you didnt, as a result I didnt go out. This left me in a situation where you were excluded from social circles in the class because you could not talk about what happened "the other night".
    I avoided going to my debs because of this. The pattern in Ireland is you either go with the flow or get out of the river. Its not that anyone says it to you but you know people have issues with you not drinking. Ireland is very small minded, it is only when you go abroad that you see this.

Work parties are the worst for me because you have to get on with the people you work with. I am an engineer in the construction industry but the Christmas parties are a fever of drink. The company pays for it so no one holds back on what they drink. You have a meal and then you watch a sight of chaos as drink after drink is consumed. meeting girls is tough too because after a while you are talking to yourself they get so drunk. What has happened to the human race that we need to get into this state to be one with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I used to drink a lot, mainly before and after football matches, especially on European trips. However, since I started running seriously in October '08, I stopped and I have to say, I don't miss it one bit. I feel it's a waste of money, it's definitely useless calories and I just couldn't cope with the hangovers any more. I have no intention of ever drinking again, water is my tipple of choice now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

The only time I encounter alcohol is at Holy Communion. Other than that, I leave it well alone. I tried different wines and cider in the past but I just didn't like them. What's more, being drunk was such a drag. And reading this forum I see I'm not the only Irishman who doesn't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

A lot of people who know they drink more than they should, despite their best intentions, tend to feel uncomfortable drinking in the company of non- drinkers. Its as if they feel they will be judged by the non drinker whereas drinkers will not judge or notice their drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

im only a teen and i hate drink yuck i just smoke more feck the drink fights depression hangover and its a poison 2 so no tank you dont want to put that crap in2 my body :D:D:D

Luluk wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I've never drank alcohol. Seeing the effect of the stuff on people I care about has turned me off it for life. Even the smell of alcohol makes me queasy.

hav to agree there seeing people get in the state they do isnt nice at all ill never go 2 a pub cos i hate even the taught of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

jay93 wrote: »
    im only a teen and i hate drink yuck i just smoke more feck the drink fights depression hangover and its a poison 2 so no tank you dont want to put that crap in2 my body :D:D:D
    yet you smoke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

I did drink till after my debs in '07.. but regardless of how I say it " I've not had a drink in nearly 3 years"... It always sounds like I was in AA!!! :D

I gave up because I got sick in the K club... :p

It's not required to have fun or give confidence in the slightest!

mink_man wrote: »
    yet you smoke?

i do yes but in my opinion drink does more damage mentally aswell and damage to other people i dont smoke a whole lot just a bit even when i did drink even younger than now which was not good just the taste smell everything about it turns me off now ..after drinking not alot im left with a spinning head then i have to puke surely not good for the body:(:(

site wrote: »
    What has happened to the human race that we need to get into this state to be one with people?

i have to say the same what has happened to us that we reck havoc of our bodys just for the sake of fitting in with people there are other alternatives to this poison i find it funny all the damage and money drink costs every1 i tink the world would be a better and happier place witout it

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

I don't drink, never have, I just never started. In school most of my friends were a bit older then me, and as they started drinking, I thought I was too young. However as time passed and I reached 18, I hadn't any interest in it and still don't really. I might have a sip of a drink the odd time, just to see what it tastes like, but I've yet to find one that I actually like.

Does anyone here find it frustrating that they have to justify their reasons for not drinking (not on this forum, just in life in general)?? If alcohol was invented today and manufacturers tried to get a license for it there is no way that it would be passed. Imagine trying to introduce a product onto our shelves that can affect your central nervous system enought to cause confusion and coma, blurred vision, memory loss, as well as damaging organs such as the liver and increasing the risk of certain cancers, it'd be a hard one to sell! Yet it has become such a part of our society that we have to justify our reasons for not having a drink! Sorry rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

never have but i wouldnt be that outgoing on nights out. out of habit at this stage, i just find it boring most of the time and talking to people who are drinking to get tough is hard, my sister and a friend of mine both have no problem being non drinkers and going out(maby its easier for girls :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

i dont drink and i am not an alcoholic.

i used to drink a bit, but always in control. i like beer and wine.

i did drink a little bottle of white wine on the plane to get myself to sleep but not really effective.

no problem to drink 7-up instead of alcohol in pubs (though i dont always go). i am a female.

i think manhood is showed by knowing your limits, controlling yourself and be responsible for your behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I don't drink and i'm not an Alcy

Used to drink but stopped about 5 years ago, probably had about 10 pints and a few glasses of wine in the past 5 years.

I worked on the doors for 12years and after that, seeing how people reacted when drunk totally turned me off it, also seeing what drink did to a very close family member turned me off it.

I've no bother at all in going into a bar and ordering a coffee or a coke

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sciff

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've no bother at all in going into a bar and ordering a coffee or a coke
    Very healthy attitude towards booze, scudzilla. Keep it up! ;)

I'm also a teetotaller and not an ex-alcoholic. I quit completely and forever 5 years ago, and had no single drink since. No intention to have one too.

When you meet the right kind of information about alcohol and compare it to what you see in life, you simply can't continue to literally poison yourself and get only an illusion of benefit. It's not the alcohol that makes people happy, it's those occasions themselves that are enjoyable, but which for the reasons unknown by most people are being associated with alcohol.

To drinkers: If you are curious enough, read the article I've attached below. It gives an explanation why we feel "highs" after having a drink. What actually happens in our brains.

I also recommend reading a book called "Easy Way to Control Alcohol" by the famous Allen Carr. It's not for alcoholics, it's for those, who start to doubt their drinking patterns and want to gain full control over them.

Best regards

Yan

Advertisement