Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT or HPAT?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 12:00am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I saw a thread which says that your leaving cert points do not 'expire', and was wondering which way I'd be better off applying to medicine:

I got 555 points in the leaving cert in 2002, and have a BE degree in electronic engineering.

I could either do the graduate entry option, taking the GAMSAT, but I'm not sure I'd be ready study-wise within the time available. (I haven't done chemistry in six years, and never did biology.)

The other option would be to apply on the basis of my leaving cert, do the HPAT and hope to 'top up' the points on the basis of that. I'd imagine the HPAT is less intense study-wise.

What way do you reckon I'd be better off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Red Alert wrote: »
    I saw a thread which says that your leaving cert points do not 'expire', and was wondering which way I'd be better off applying to medicine:

I got 555 points in the leaving cert in 2002, and have a BE degree in electronic engineering.

I could either do the graduate entry option, taking the GAMSAT, but I'm not sure I'd be ready study-wise within the time available. (I haven't done chemistry in six years, and never did biology.)

The other option would be to apply on the basis of my leaving cert, do the HPAT and hope to 'top up' the points on the basis of that. I'd imagine the HPAT is less intense study-wise.

What way do you reckon I'd be better off?
    IMO, the level of chemistry/biology/physics in LC is pretty much close to GAMSAT, the GAMSAT questions may seem complicated, but they arent

i will be doing GAMSAT after i finish mechanical engineering (actully i'll do GAMSAT during my degree), i have basic knowledge of chemistry/physics and i got a C1 in LC biology so theres only a bit of catching up to do, and if you think about it you will have to repeat chemistry, and either biology or physics for LC

and with gamsat there is a 1 in 3 chance of getting an offer, its alot easier to get into medicine than to get a drivers licence in some places!!!!!

you have to fulfil marticulation requirements for the same year (repeat chemistry + (biology/physics) + english/irish + foreign language)

and under grad is 5 year degree, so your paying full fees for 5 years

gamsat = 4 years, full fees for 4 years

i would say it would be more worth while to just study GAMSAT since i would dread doing german or english LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

My opinion would be do the GAMSAT route. It's less costly and defintiely quicker.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being too late to take GAMSAT in March, if you go for it now you have plenty of time to prepare.

I've also heard (don't know anything about it really) that HPAT is study proof so you never know how that is going to work out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

MicraBoy wrote: »
    My opinion would be do the GAMSAT route. It's less costly and defintiely quicker.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being too late to take GAMSAT in March, if you go for it now you have plenty of time to prepare.

I've also heard (don't know anything about it really) that HPAT is study proof so you never know how that is going to work out for you.
    HPAT is more like a glorified IQ test where GAMSAT is more like MCAT (but not as hardcore)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

MicraBoy wrote: »

So,if you have a good knowledge of biology,chemistry and physics,you have a decent chance of doing well in gamsat??Are there other areas in it which are similar to the hpat,in that they are study proof.Id like to get some more info on this as ill either be doing med in eastern europe next year (hopefully) or go down the graduate route.

Advertisement