Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

event wrote: »
    because people are idiots and people dont like to back down and admit they were wrong over the internet

Sigh, once again, is anybody slating him for Saturday?

Now theres a bloody myth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Dickerty wrote: »
    Lucas won't b***h if he misses a game, or demand more money, or spend all his time trying to engineer a move to Spain. He gets on with his job.

How do you know he doesnt do any of those things???
    SlickRic wrote: »
    you wear Mr Alan out? ;)

i've 'shadowed' you today, simply because you come out with stuff like below.

Fabregas is probably in the top 5 players in the world right now.

very few are that good at that age, and most of them come out of Barca.

nobody's saying Lucas is as good as that.

but he's doing his job, and better than most at Liverpool at the moment.

including your idol Stevie.

Stevie has had numerous injuries this season, he cant be expected to be at his best, but even when he's not playing well he is still always more likely to score or make a telling pass than Lucas.

Stevie has had numerous injuries this season, he cant be expected to be at his best, but even when he's not playing well he is still always more likely to score or make a telling pass than Lucas.

But not alot else sometimes, and even what he does do gets jumped on by whatever Sky/ITV commentator is on as the best thing.

Case in point is a block he made to stop a left-wing cross late on in the Everton game, Sky commentators wet themselves. It was a great block and all, just one or two of these more 'high profile' actions in a game usually hide the fact he has been doing alot of pottering about this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lucas' is deep lying, and makes plenty of good passes. many of them forward contrary to popular belief.

you don't seem to understand what Lucas does for the team when he plays. he harries, tackles, plays mainly simple passes keeping possession, coupled with more and more incisive forward passes, as well as selectively venturing forward.

Gerrard will get more assists because he plays further up the pitch.

noodler wrote: »
    Case in point is a block he made to stop a left-wing cross late on in the Everton game, Sky commentators wet themselves.

i laughed at that myself.

if Lucas had blocked 10 of the same he wouldn't have got a fraction of the reaction.

it's fine though, Lucas' name is getting sung from the Kop regularly now, so he'll get over it.

• Advertisement

But not alot else sometimes, and even what he does do gets jumped on by whatever Sky/ITV commentator is on as the best thing.

Case in point is a block he made to stop a left-wing cross late on in the Everton game, Sky commentators wet themselves. It was a great block and all, just one or two of these more 'high profile' actions in a game usually hide the fact he has been doing alot of pottering about this season.

But he also gets criticised because he's high profile and a lot more is expected of him. lucas can do f*ck all and people are raving about him on here, Gerrard isnt as good as usual and he's had the worst season ever.
    as well as selectively venturing forward.

LOL :pac:

Didnt think you had it in you to laugh at something! now i am shocked

LOL :pac:

it's what he does. it's what he's been asked to do. it's also a position he's had to develop into as it's not his natural position. his natural position is Gerrard's one.
    Didnt think you had it in you to laugh at something! now i am shocked

you bring out my serious side, what can i say.

if you didn't chuck out age-old clichés about players, you wouldn't see me so serious. ;)

it's what he does. it's what he's been asked to do. it's also a position he's had to develop into as it's not his natural position. his natural position is Gerrard's one.

you bring out my serious side, what can i say.

if you didn't chuck out age-old clichés about players, you wouldn't see me so serious. ;)

Thank god he's not playing in Gerrards position since he cant shoot to save his life!
    Age old, haha, Lucas hasnt been around long enough to say age old!!!

Players???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Again with your lies.

:P

if Lucas had blocked 10 of the same he wouldn't have got a fraction of the reaction.

it's fine though, Lucas' name is getting sung from the Kop regularly now, so he'll get over it.

To make the point even more prominent.
    With about 5 minutes to go, Anichebe turned Insua and bore down on goal.

Lucas made a last ditch block that stopped the shot on target.
    How did Sky praise him?

By calling him Agger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm with Noodler in saying that i didn't see anybody slating Lucas' performance on Saturday, so whats with all the people being on the offensive about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To make the point even more prominent.
    With about 5 minutes to go, Anichebe turned Insua and bore down on goal.

Lucas made a last ditch block that stopped the shot on target.
    How did Sky praise him?

By calling him Agger!

When he came on, and a few times afterwards, there was a dead funny chant of "here comes fat Purple Aki" :D

Was up there with the many airings of "tell yer ma, yer ma..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    The fact is that every successful team needs players like Lucas. They are like cogs in a wheel, it just wouldnt work without them

They won't set the world alight and of course will not be the first choice or be in line to start every game but when they do come in they do the job asked of them.

Steady squad players are such an important part of modern football. Lucas seems like the kind of lad who will just get on with his job and he wouldn't be complaining should he not start. Again, you need that from your squad players. He will continue to improve and expecting too much of him is just daft. Of course he has some faults but a lot of players do.

A team full of players playing the hollywood passes all the time just would not work. You need those to just keep things ticking over, pick up the ball and retain possession.

This is the basic point people are trying to make. He's 22, he's not world class (but no one is trying to say he is) and for the money we dont have its the best we can do.

We dont have a Fabregas or Iniesta or players like them because they are the only players like them.

We have Torres and Gerrard; no other team has players like them because they are the only players like them.

There is a serious confusion in where the bar is set here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

This is the basic point people are trying to make. He's 22, he's not world class (but no one is trying to say he is) and for the money we dont have its the best we can do.

We dont have a Fabregas or Iniesta or players like them because they are the only players like them.

We have Torres and Gerrard; no other team has players like them because they are the only players like them.

There is a serious confusion in where the bar is set here.

Where would Liverpool play Fabregas or Iniesta anyway?

Lucas is a deep-lying midfielder, in the 'Xabi Alonso' role. How many of those are there in the world? He's a very good player, but he's not world-class. His misfortune is to be made to replace a world-class player, and to be made a scapegoat for a team where the biggest passenger in midfield is beyond criticism.

Where would Liverpool play Fabregas or Iniesta anyway?

I'm sure we could squeeze em in.

His misfortune is to be made... a scapegoat for a team where the biggest passenger in midfield is beyond criticism.

Well put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i love the criticism from Fink; he's not Fabregas and he's not Gerrard, that's not criticism to 99.9999% of professional footballers. you do know why the term world class is used to describe these players, yes?

because there are only a handful of them around the world, not 6/7 in every good team...
    of a standard that ranks among the best in the world; of the highest order or importance

We all know that Fink secretly loves Lucas.
    The only reason that she's so vocal in her disent is that Lucas got married last summer.

I have never loved him more.

Still want to see some of that South American goal action I know he has in him though.

EDIT: I really shouldn't have been on here this afternoon arguing about Lucas before my interview. It was all I could think of.

"So why do you think you would be good for this position?" - "Lucas"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Why does this sorry excuse of a 'footballer' warrant his own thread whilst if anyone else creates a thread regarding a footballer they are told to post it in the relevant clubs forum whilst it is then promptly locked?

Why does this sorry excuse of a 'footballer' warrant his own thread whilst if anyone else creates a thread regarding a footballer they are told to post it in the relevant clubs forum whilst it is then promptly locked?

Why you are getting upset about it is more relevant!

Seriously though, even if loads of the points are repeated over and over - this thread still has more actual discussion than most.

• Advertisement

Dont even think about trying to get this into the Liverpool thread!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Why you are getting upset about it is more relevant!

Seriously though, even if loads of the points are repeated over and over - this thread still has more actual discussion than most.

I'm not getting upset, just wondering why Lucas gets his own thread, whilst during my time on here I have seen a thread about Tevez and IIRC, also one on Rooney get locked.

Fair enough, as you say there's a decent amount of actual discussion in the Lucas thread, but there also could have been in the aforementioned threads, if they were given a chance before being locked and the OP's being told to post about them in the relevant clubs forum.

Why isn't it the same with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm not getting upset, just wondering why Lucas gets his own thread, whilst during my time on here I have seen a thread about Tevez and IIRC, also one on Rooney get locked.

Fair enough, as you say there's a decent amount of actual discussion in the Lucas thread, but there also could have been in the aforementioned threads, if they were given a chance before being locked and the OP's being told to post about them in the relevant clubs forum.

Lucas >>>>>Tevez obv.

He needed his own thread.

You need to trust me on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm sure we could squeeze em in.
    Heh, looking at how Rafa plays tactically, I don't know that you could. :p
    Well put.

Thanks.

i love the criticism from Fink; he's not Fabregas and he's not Gerrard, that's not criticism to 99.9999% of professional footballers. you do know why the term world class is used to describe these players, yes?

because there are only a handful of them around the world, not 6/7 in every good team...

My main problem is that he's not Alonso!!!!! We get rid of an amazing player and then have Lucas in his place.
    We all know that Fink secretly loves Lucas.
    The only reason that she's so vocal in her disent is that Lucas got married last summer.

Yes because he's as good looking as he is a great player :pac:
    Him and Kuyt are the two hotties on the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You're some craic Fink I'll give you that. ;) And tbh, lookers like Lucas and Kuyt are refreshing to see in a game that's been taken over by precious pretty boys too lazy to put in a ****ing shift on the pitch.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    You're some craic Fink I'll give you that. ;) And tbh, lookers like Lucas and Kuyt are refreshing to see in a game that's been taken over by precious pretty boys too lazy to put in a ****ing shift on the pitch.

Not refreshing on the eye thats for sure. :pac:
    Which pretty boys are we talking about here??

My main problem is that he's not Alonso!!!!! We get rid of an amazing player and then have Lucas in his place.

one more time explaining this...

Alonso wanted to leave; he wasn't 'got rid of'. he was ordinary for 18 months, Rafa looked at alternatives, Alonso upped his game considerably and got his move back to his homeland.

we got 5 years out of him.

Lucas was not his 'replacement'.

he was to fill in while Aquilani got fit; which has taken a lot longer than it should have done, granted. but Lucas' role was meant to be in a rotation system in midfield i believe.

• Advertisement

one more time explaining this...

Alonso wanted to leave; he wasn't 'got rid of'. he was ordinary for 18 months, Rafa looked at alternatives, Alonso upped his game considerably and got his move back to his homeland.

we got 5 years out of him.

Lucas was not his 'replacement'.

he was to fill in while Aquilani got fit; which has taken a lot longer than it should have done, granted. but Lucas' role was meant to be in a rotation system in midfield i believe.

I'll explain one more time too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Who has been playing instead of Alonso all this time, Lucas, so he was Alonso's replacement though because Benitez stupidly bought a player who would be crocked for the best part of the season!

I didnt say he was got rid off and thats neither here nor there, the fact is if you lose a class player, replace him with class STRAIGHT AWAY or you have a weak link in the team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lucas has not been a weak link in the team.

This is what you seem to missing.

You criticise him for not scoring loads. I must have blinked & missed this attacking dymano that was Xabi Alonso.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Lucas has not been a weak link in the team.

This is what you seem to missing.

You criticise him for not scoring loads. I must have blinked & missed this attacking dymano that was Xabi Alonso.

The team as a whole has been weak this season!

Dont even try and compare the two, there's no comparison

We get rid of an amazing player

I didnt say he was got rid off and thats neither here nor there

yes you did.
    Who has been playing instead of Alonso all this time, Lucas, so he was Alonso's replacement though because Benitez stupidly bought a player who would be crocked for the best part of the season!

what alan said.

Lucas has not been the weak link, and yes, Rafa could be criticised for buying a pretty crocked Aquilani. but that is the risk he took getting him at a 'knockdown' price.
    the fact is if you lose a class player, replace him with class STRAIGHT AWAY or you have a weak link in the team!

or you strengthen other areas, as well as the midfield, with the money generated.

Aquilani was a risk that has not come off yet, but Lucas has done well.

Johnson was bought with some of that money, and he was a revelation until his injury problems.

Dont even try and compare the two, there's no comparison, Alonso was out

who is?

you're the only one who is.

Lucas was meant to fill in while Aquilani was injured, then be in squad rotation with Masch and Aquilani; i assume with Masch and Aquilani playing most of the games.

Lucas is 22, Alonso is an experienced international footballer.

you can't possibly compare the two, and nobody is trying to, except you, who seems to think everything can just be quick fixed.

and once again, Lucas has done very well. which you never seem to be able to admit. even the other people on this forum, some are sick of him too, have admitted he's been very good this season, along with the Kop itself.

yes you did.

what alan said.

Lucas has not been the weak link, and yes, Rafa could be criticised for buying a pretty crocked Aquilani. but that is the risk he took getting him at a 'knockdown' price.

or you strengthen other areas, as well as the midfield, with the money generated.

Aquilani was a risk that has not come off yet, but Lucas has done well.

Johnson was bought with some of that money, and he was a revelation until his injury problems.

The nit picker returns! well done, i wish i had some sort of medal to give you!
    A knock down price LOL

Do you not agree that if you replace class with average that you've weakened the team????
    Whats not to understand there.
    You've admitted that Lucas isnt as good as Alonso, therefore there's a weakness!

• Advertisement

Johnson is better than Arbeloa though.

So using your own logic, the team has not disimproved.

Glad you're finally onboard Fink! :D

Actually if anything Aquilani/Johnson/Lucas > Alonso/Lucas/Arbeloa, maybe we've improved! :D;)

Johnson is better than Arbeloa though.

So using your own logic, the team has not disimproved.

Glad you're finally onboard Fink! :D

The defence is better but the midfield is still weaker because Alonso is gone and Lucas is there instead!

Johnson been injured loads so he hasnt been that great yet!

You've admitted that Lucas isnt as good as Alonso, therefore there's a weakness!

of course the midfield is weaker without Alonso. nobody is disputing that. but it hasn't been our main problem.

what would you have done?

who'd you have bought, considering Alonso and Arbeloa were going to leave regardless...who would have been a guaranteed success, slotting straight into the midfield as if we never missed Xabi?

of course the midfield is weaker without Alonso

Thank you!
    Lucas has only made our midfield weaker this season.

I'm done here :)

A knock down price LOL

Ahh Fink.

If Aquilani was in a normal market he would cost £25-30million, but because of the operation he had on his ankle he was a bit cheaper.

Keep your ears open old girl.

• Advertisement

Thank you!
    Lucas has only made our midfield weaker this season.

I'm done here :)

you're acting ridiculous.

you shouldn't keep posting if you won't engage properly in the discussion, and continue to ignore points being made.

Alonso leaving has weakened our midfield, not Lucas. Lucas was there last year, and has improved this year. Aquilani's injury, and subsequent length of time bedding in the team, has weakened us in midfield.

but it's no use, common sense will never prevail here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Actually if anything Aquilani/Johnson/Lucas > Alonso/Lucas/Arbeloa, maybe we've improved! :D;)

Really?

I think thats a very hasty reaction based on whats happened this season. Both your signings have been injured a good bit so I think you should really reserve the judgement on whether its improved or not.

re: Johnson, i've not been as happy about a signing since Torres. he is ****ing brilliant. which may taint my view above ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Since the OP has clearly changed his mind, this thread should be closed.
    Lucas is ****e.

;)

you're acting ridiculous.

you shouldn't keep posting if you won't engage properly in the discussion, and continue to ignore points being made.

Alonso leaving has weakened our midfield, not Lucas. Lucas was there last year, and has improved this year. Aquilani's injury, and subsequent length of time bedding in the team, has weakened us in midfield.

but it's no use, common sense will never prevail here.

LOL look at your trying to squirm out of it by saying it a different way!
    Alonso leaving and being replaced by Lucas weakened our midfield because he wasnt as good as him! Its the same thing!!! There's your common sense!
    Aqualani was out of the picture till November and at the moment again!

LOL look at your trying to squirm out of it by saying it a different way!
    Alonso leaving and being replaced by Lucas weakened our midfield because he wasnt as good as him! Its the same thing!!! There's your common sense!
    Aqualani was out of the picture till November and at the moment again!

ugh. no squirming. you're changing the argument.

it's not lucas' fault we've a weaker midfield. that is the point.

blame Rafa for the injured Aquilani if you have to. i don't agree with that entirely, but it's more bearable than blaming Lucas.

ugh. no squirming. you're changing the argument.

it's not lucas' fault we've a weaker midfield. that is the point.

blame Rafa for the injured Aquilani if you have to. i don't agree with that entirely, but it's more bearable than blaming Lucas.

I do blame Rafa for Aqualani, and i blame him for only having Lucas to step in for Alonso and leaving us with a weakened midfield.

Lucas is hardly to blame, its not his fault he's sh1t! :D

/thread.

now.

please.

/thread.

now.

please.

So i won, you give up :D