Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I say:

Lucas isnt good enough to have on the first team week in week out if you want a team that will challenge for the title. TRUE

Lucas was not a good enough replacement to have for Alonso, because he's not as good as him, so this weakens our team (dont mention Aqualani being his replacement, he wasnt in the picture til november) TRUE

Dont give me, he's young, he's improving, we dont have the money!
    None of that changes the fact that he's not good enough to be a 1st team player!!!

So we can go around in circles all year but i'm still right Slicric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lucas was not a good enough replacement to have for Alonso, because he's not as good as him, so this weakens our team (dont mention Aqualani being his replacement, he wasnt in the picture til november) TRUE

no sh*t, nobody on planet earth would argue that statement, alonso is the best player in the world in his position (defensive playmaker) so obviously whoever comes in and tries to play that position will not be as good as him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Who's saying Lucas is shít? Lucas is boss. Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thanks guys, but i can't do it anymore.

i can't stand to hear the same stereotypical argument again saying Lucas is sh*t etc etc etc.

to the point where i wish you guys hadn't responded to her.

i was just going to leave it at that, and hope the thread got forgotten about.

SlickRic wrote: »
    thanks guys, but i can't do it anymore.

i can't stand to hear the same stereotypical argument again saying Lucas is sh*t etc etc etc.

to the point where i wish you guys hadn't responded to her.

i was just going to leave it at that, and hope the thread got forgotten about.

Ah but look at you, you just cant leave, here you are again!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    no sh*t, nobody on planet earth would argue that statement, alonso is the best player in the world in his position (defensive playmaker) so obviously whoever comes in and tries to play that position will not be as good as him

Yet when i mention him leaving being a cause of weakness for the team, i get told that we wouldnt have any more points than we do now if he was still on the team. BullSh*t!

Ah but look at you, you just cant leave, here you are again!

i'm not making any points about it anymore.

try responding to the arguments put forward there.

i'm leaving it.

i'm not making any points about it anymore.

try responding to the arguments put forward there.

i'm leaving it.

Leaving AGAIN are you??

Yet when i mention him leaving being a cause of weakness for the team, i get told that we wouldnt have any more points than we do now if he was still on the team. BullSh*t!
    Not necessarily. Unless you're some sort of mystic? Alonso may have set up a winning goal in a game we lost, or he may have got injured, the fact is we will never know so it's a deadend argument.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Unless you're some sort of mystic? Alonso may have set up a winning goal in a game we lost, or he may have got injured, the fact is we will never know so it's a deadend argument.

Well the team fell apart after he left, thats enough evidence for me.
    I reckon we would have done better, but sure he's gone now and we're left with Lucas while Aquaman is crocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Lucas will be quality in a few years, look at Fletcher, he was muck until he was around 25, Lucas is only 22, the same can be said of Anderson I think.

Say what you like about last season with Alonso, and this season with Lucas, you can't comparison the two camaigns and you can't compare the two players.

But anyone who is still blind to the fact Lucas has been one of, if not the best performer this season are idiots. He's been the most consistent player in the squad, and has stayed uninjured - all testament to his work rate, his character and his self belief to overcome the haters and to up his game - most players would've just thrown in the towel after day one.

Lucas is not ****, he's steadily improving into one of the best centre midfielders in this particular Premier League season. Against Everton he was fantastic, against Utd he was fantastic, and there have been many games in between. Alonso won player of the year last year at Liverpool, and at the moment this season's is going to Lucas. I'm in admiration of how much he's come on, not many players get a second chance especially after getting booed off at Anfield of all places - by the HOME CROWD! He has all the genuine qualities a team needs in a midfielder, and they don't all add up to goals, creating goals and scoring more goals.

Also, Lucas wasn't Alonso's replacement. Aquaman was. Turns out we had a better holding midfielder in the squad in Lucas.

Give extreme credit where it's due, the lad must have the determination of a lion to do what he's done.

Smegball wrote: »
    Lucas will be quality in a few years, look at Fletcher, he was muck until he was around 25, Lucas is only 22, the same can be said of Anderson I think.

Noone can be sure of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Well the team fell apart after he left, thats enough evidence for me.
    I reckon we would have done better, but sure he's gone now and we're left with Lucas while Aquaman is crocked!

Yes Liverpool are weaker without Alonso - any team would be imo but him not being there is not the sole reason ye are playing the way ye are.

Gerrard & Torres are Liverpools 2 best players by a distance - no one would argue this. This season Torres has been his usual best but has been in and out with injuries - this has had a negative impact on the team. Gerrard on the other hand has played terribly all season compared to recent seasons - this has had a negative impact on the team also.

Some other players on the team namely a lot of ye'r centre halfs have been a bit all over the shop this season with injuries & off form performances.

All this has knocked the clubs morale & confidence.

These are the reasons Liverpool are playing the way they are at the moment

If Lucas wasnt in ye'r squad i have no doubt ye would be worse off. Ye have started to grind out the results lately & even though they havent been pretty wins they are helping the team out of the rut. Confidence and more attractive football go hand in hand & Liverpool are getting more confident week by week now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well i ain't arguing that, liverpool are a stronger with alonso in there; its also no surprise that gerrard is half the player he is without alonso playing regularly beside him, alonso was a fantastic link between back and front and allowed gerrard the freedom to play his natural game

alonso was criminally under-rated especially among opposition fans, we had utd fans on here last year claiming michael carrick was a better player ffs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Came close with that shot near the end. Anyone know what his shots on goal stats are at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Came close with that shot near the end. Anyone know what his shots on goal stats are at this stage?

Well there was that one last night, so I think it now stands at 1 in 26 League games.

:)

noodler wrote: »
    Well there was that one last night, so I think it now stands at 1 in 26 League games.

:)
    suppose we should be thankful for small mercies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

alonso was criminally under-rated especially among opposition fans

Can't say i ever heard anyone i know say that.He is a quality player ijs.

we had utd fans on here last year claiming michael carrick was a better player ffs :rolleyes:

:eek:

Say it isn't so, Say it isn't so !!!!!!

Major fook up by Rafa in trying to sell him to buy Barry tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not this again....

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »

Major fook up by Rafa in trying to sell him to buy Barry tbh.

he was pretty ordinary for 12-18 months before the Barry saga.

in hindsight yes, it's a pity, but I've a feeling Alonso would've left for Spain at some point. maybe it ended up being earlier than it could've been.

but trying for Barry made sense at the time, as Alonso was not the player we saw last season for the previous year/year and a half.

and you're right, I don't think many underrated Alonso, especially last year. everyone knew how well he was playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

he was pretty ordinary for 12-18 months before the Barry saga.
    in hindsight yes, it's a pity, but I've a feeling Alonso would've left for Spain at some point. maybe it ended up being earlier than it could've been.

but trying for Barry made sense at the time, as Alonso was not the player we saw last season for the previous year/year and a half.

and you're right, I don't think many underrated Alonso, especially last year. everyone knew how well he was playing.

Ordinary by the standards he set in his first and last seasons, but when he played during the period you mentioned he was still one of the better players in the team.

There is also the small matter of the long term injuries he had during the two more ordinary seasons he had.

The Lucas/Alonso comparison that others have touched on,is not one I am really going to get into though. Everyone knows which one is the better player, but from a Liverpool pov it doesn't matter as only one plays in red now, and that guy has done enough this season not to warrant the flak he still gets from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

if u were to run a poll now for player of the season,i would hazzard a guess that reina and lucas would probably be the two front runners.they have been the two constants who have put in a performance week in week out imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

GEM_13 wrote: »
    if u were to run a poll now for player of the season,i would hazzard a guess that reina and lucas would probably be the two front runners.they have been the two constants who have put in a performance week in week out imo..

For me it would be Reina by a very long way, but Lucas would be the next best player this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

TBH it shows how bad liverpools season has been when Lucas, who lets be honest while he has had a good season shouldn't be more than a squad player has been one of your stand out players.

I am not criticising him, he has done well but he shouldn't be in the running for your player of the season award given the level of player around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not this again....

Jesus, not THIS again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Kess73 wrote: »
    For me it would be Reina by a very long way, but Lucas would be the next best player this season.

Has to be Reina for me too but Lucas for his consistency

The lad came of age last night. Scored a goal :D

the thing is, people rate him now for last night, simply because he scored.

it grates me a bit, because everything else he did, all the good things, he's been doing for most of the season.

it grates me a bit, because everything else he did, he's been doing for most of the season.
    To be fair the lad has received his fair of stick. Took his goal very well. Who knows this could be the beginning of something beautiful ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

it grates me a bit, because everything else he did, he's been doing for most of the season.

Well I always thought he was more akin to Gerrard than these Alonso comparisons you hear. Surging runs, good finish, etc..Gerrard would probably never be dropped obviously.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well I always thought he was more akin to Gerrard than these Alonso comparisons you hear. Surging runs, good finish, etc..Gerrard would probably never be dropped obviously.

i made this suggestion earlier in the season; putting Gerrard back, and pushing Lucas further forward.

it still don't think it's a bad thing to try, considering Gerrard isn't exactly in undroppable form right now.

Anyone remember that English PL player who played in defence and scored a rake of goals when he was converted to attack. In the 90s as far as I remember. Is it time to push Lucas further up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anyone remember that English PL player who played in defence and scored a rake of goals when he was converted to attack. In the 90s as far as I remember. Is it time to push Lucas further up front.

Dion Dublin? Or was that the other way round?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ziggy wrote: »
    Yes thats whom I thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Gary Doherty??

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

[/QUOTE]SlickRic viewpost.gif

it grates me a bit, because everything else he did, he's been doing for most of the season.[/QUOTE]

+1 on these remarks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

No they're not?

um, yes they are.

the match thread is filled with people lauding Lucas.

i was with a mate watching it last night, he can't stand Lucas, and in fact rips the p*ss out of me for supporting him. he called him great last night too.

i even got a couple of texts from fans saying how well he played.

i just chuckled.

you score a goal, and all of a sudden people see the other stuff you're doing in a different light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I don't think people are going to suddenly over-rate Lucas after one goal.

However, I was impressed by him last night, and he took his goal with great aplomb - confidence & composure to round the 'keeper, and a cool finish.

The thing is, he's been let of the leash a few times this season, and to be honest, when pushing forward he looked really good.

I was never a fan of his really, but when he gets forward, he really does cause problems and I'm warming to him more and more this season.

Its when he's told to sit back and defend that he's a burdon (he can't tackle in fairness).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Good work horse,
    Goal looked pure class at first,, replay showed it was very lucky ball cleared goal keeper, i thought he dragged it around keeper with conviction,, but he didn't , ball went over the keepers hand :D
    He deserved his goal though,,, can't knock the lad,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

]Lucas had come to bury Cesar

Henry Winter....made me laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lucas is not a natural defensive midfielder but he has done a job there. He is an attacking midfielder and has done well Whenever he has played there. I would really like for him to get 3 or 4 games in an attacking role as I believe he could excel there. You wouldn't expect Mascherano to play as an attacking midfielder but it is expected of Lucas to play as a defensive one. The lad is getting better and better after a very sluggish start.

• Advertisement

I was genuinely delighted for the lad last night when he scored. He's come on so much this year.

It would be great if him and Mash managed to score a few more tbh, maybe it'll give hima bit more confidence in front of goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There's a lot of "appreciation" threads going round here lately. Wayne Rooney, Lionel Messi, Roy Hodgson..... but even though Lucas isnt as bad as some people make out to be, this thread is just embarassing. He's not awful, he's not awesome, he's just had an above average season for a team thats had a below average season. No wonder he's stoof out. He does NOT deserve an appreciation thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Archimedes wrote: »
    There's a lot of "appreciation" threads going round here lately. Wayne Rooney, Lionel Messi, Roy Hodgson..... but even though Lucas isnt as bad as some people make out to be, this thread is just embarassing. He's not awful, he's not awesome, he's just had an above average season for a team thats had a below average season. No wonder he's stoof out. He does NOT deserve an appreciation thread.

But that's the point, he gets so much stick. I think the thread is more about how he was being under rated than how great he actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

But that's the point, he gets so much stick. I think the thread is more about how he was being under rated than how great he actually is.

He's equally as over rated as is he is under-rated imo. He's nothing special. I have no problem complimenting Liverpool players - there are some terrific footballers at the club. So far, despite his progression, Lucas is still a long way from being terrific. If Liverpool fans insist on labelling him one of the best players at the club this season, thats just further proof of the awful year they've had and how many other players arent performing.

Archimedes wrote: »
    He does NOT deserve an appreciation thread.

to be fair though, it isn't one.

it was created to, i think;

1) put all the Lucas related sh*te that compiled in the Liverpool thread somewhere.

2) give everyone a chance, again without derailing the main superthread, a chance to have their say on a player who seemed to divide players on a ludicrous level.

the main crux of the thread is that he doesn't deserve the controversy he gets, merely because he's, as you say, average enough right now, with the potential to become a very good player. nothing more, nothing less. the mere fact the thread had this much interest, near enough 600 posts now, is ludicrous for such a player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement