Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lucas was my MOTM yesterday. Stunning performance. Doesn't get enough plaudits really imo. Would like to see him continue that type of performance throughout now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    In fairness Al he did have an infuriating knack for giving away careless fouls in suicidal areas of the pitch, and he was still doing that as recently as last season. Hopefully he's improved that aspect of his game and we'll see less of it.

Anyone wanna list me off all these fouls he gave away which always resulted in goals being scored against us?

I can think of 2 off the top of my head, one of which wasn't a foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Anyone wanna list me off all these fouls he gave away which always resulted in goals being scored against us?

I can think of 2 off the top of my head, one of which wasn't a foul.

Ah here, how the fcuk am I meant to remember every single game? :D Off the top of my head, Aston Villa at Anfield last season springs immediately to mind.

Yea, that was the one I mentioned where I said that it wasn't a foul.

Any others?

I'm serious, if people are saying he gives away so many stupid fouls that cost us goals & points, i'd expect them to stand out & that people would remember them. I genuinely can't think of any?

Certainly no more than would be normal for someone who plays in his role.

I think it was just a stupid criticism that was levelled at him at some stage that stuck, kind of like the "he never passes forward", or the "he hides away" one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Any others?

I'm serious, if people are saying he gives away so many stupid fouls that cost us goals & points, i'd expect them to stand out & that people would remember them. I genuinely can't think of any?

I think it was just a stupid criticism that was levelled at him at some stage that stuck, kind of like the "he never passes forward", or the "he hides away" one.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51438090107#!/group.php?gid=51438090107&v=wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Any others?

The chap is legend in my eyes, where some players coming into a new country would have faded into oblivion the chap stood and was counted upon even after being booed at Anfield when he came on as a Sub. Not only this season but he has being ever improving since December 2008. The performance that swung me around was his peformance at Newcastle that day, his best in a red shirt in my eyes for many reasons but one in particular it changed his Liverpool career.

Easily shot at because he is young, Gerrard was **** last season but no one critcised him but focused their attention on a young lad who bar Pepe Reina last season was without doubt our best player.

The Muppet wrote: »

Two idiots from Manchester set that up, probably the same people who lambasted Fletcher too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

On the other hand, there was one other indisputable foul in that game that directly led to a goal by a Liverpool midfielder, possibly forgotten about..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    The chap is legend in my eyes, where some players coming into a new country would have faded into oblivion the chap stood and was counted upon even after being booed at Anfield when he came on as a Sub. Not only this season but he has being ever improving since December 2008. The performance that swung me around was his peformance at Newcastle that day, his best in a red shirt in my eyes for many reasons but one in particular it changed his Liverpool career.

Easily shot at because he is young, Gerrard was **** last season but no one critcised him but focused their attention on a young lad who bar Pepe Reina last season was without doubt our best player.

Lucas was good last season but Masch was better IMO.

Highlights of Lucas yesterday, he was top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Two idiots from Manchester set that up, probably the same people who lambasted Fletcher too.

The Administrator is from Liverpool, the two from Manchester are only Officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Facebook groups? Really? Far as groups go, they have fuk all members at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Any others?

Not jumpin on the lads back here, but since I assume it's a game, I have one, :), silly tackle at Blackburn leading to equalising penalty iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

My god i have no problem admitting Lucas was very good against Chelsea but a highlight reel... Embarrassing! 3:18 to 3:20 FTW! On a highlight reel!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Thats nonsense, alot of the regulars in the liverpool thread pointed at gerrard before anybody else last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My god i have no problem admitting Lucas was very good against Chelsea but a highlight reel... Embarrassing! 3:18 to 3:20 FTW! On a highlight reel!!!!

I don't think it's actually highlights, it's just everying he did in the game, both good and bad. He just did much more good than bad so looks like a highlight reel.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Thats nonsense, alot of the regulars in the liverpool thread pointed at gerrard before anybody else last year.

I was referring to the media on that one because I know a lot of people on here and on IK knew he was **** last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

He had a good game yesterday and for his sake I hope he can maintain that form.

He came to England as an attacking midfielder and since then had to become accustomed to the physical nature of the league, a very difficult position to adapt to and not to mention adjusting to living in England.

I was referring to the media on that one because I know a lot of people on here and on IK knew he was **** last season.

Fair enough. I think reality is though that gerrard took more flak in here than he was due and a few others didnt get enough. Probably only 2 or 3 had decent seasons. Who has the armband is irrelevant imo, other players need to step up (like they have done in the last month), they never did it last year and that includes the manager.

The reason Gerrard took so much stick last year was because in many peoples opinion, he simply wasn't putting in the effort which is entirely unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which? That Gerrard was moaning/slacking/moodyarseing or that people pulling him up on it?

• Advertisement

The reason Gerrard took so much stick last year was because in many peoples opinion, he simply wasn't putting in the effort which is entirely unacceptable.

Him and several others. Picking out one from a bunch for 'special' criticism is just looking for somebody to blame, when in actual fact, the manager had an equally bad season, aswel as, well theres lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Genuinely I can't think of anyone else who didn't appear to be trying, thatvwas Gerrards biggest issue last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

kilburn wrote: »
    Did someone teach him how to play over the summer?

Maybe it's Roy?

Although he played well under Rafa last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

ziggy wrote: »

It was the Brazilian football player of the year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_de_Ouro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Although anyone playing in Brazil can win it, nationality doesn't matter. Think Tevez won it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

That wasn't the south american player of the year award, if it exists.

He did in fact win the bola de oura, a Brazilian league player of the year award decided by Placar, which was what initially perked my interest in him.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's a brazilian award, not continental:

wiki

original
    http://placar.abril.com.br/bola-de-prata/edicoes-anteriores/?2006

edit- bugger, too slow, but extra points for original portugese link to prevent usual 'don't believe wiki' replies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I think it is important to note that this is decided by a magazine.

I honestly have no clue the stature that its held with in Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Only mis-placed 8 passes in the last 4 games is a fairly impressive statistic too, just read it there and was surprised. Particularly as he has come on a good bit in the range of passes that he is trying (and mostly succeeding with). Mis-placing 2 passes a game is (dare I say it) better than Alonso used to do and Lucas seems just as happy to get stuck in. Maybe in a few years time....

Genuinely I can't think of anyone else who didn't appear to be trying, thatvwas Gerrards biggest issue last season.

Well 'assumption' is the mother of all fk ups isnt it. Should it just be ignored he was taking injections before games in november and december?. Its not really the sign of somebody who doesnt care. The manager committed a grave mistake by trying to replace the void of alonso, in a patient. Lucas was far from ready and insua was asked to do too much too soon, thats down to the boss and played a large part in a bad season, a bigger part than anything gerrard is 'accused' of.

You keep trying to bring this around to
    the former manager for some reason? It's nothing to do with it.

It's not an assumption, I watched Gerrard virtually every minute of last season and I know what I saw. and he simply wasn't trying like he should have been, often not arsed making runs, not tracking back, not closing people down, it was poor from him. And why people weren't as forgiving about his awful form. 100% effort is the minimum he should give every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I think there was a patch of the season towards the end where Gerrard seemed to pick up his performances, i seem to remember him playing well in CM a couple of times. It just seemed as though he was completely fed up which there's no real excuse for, not surprising though considering the seasons he had for us before, carrying the team all those years must have been draining. Obviously Torres coming in was a weight off his shoulders but with him being injured left right and centre, Xabi gone and Rafa underperforming too i can understand why he must have thought "fuck this".

I'm delighted to see him back on form, because some of the stick he's been getting after last season is completely out of order.

It's not an assumption, I watched Gerrard virtually every minute of last season and I know what I saw. and he simply wasn't trying like he should have been, often not arsed making runs, not tracking back, not closing people down, it was poor from him. And why people weren't as forgiving about his awful form. 100% effort is the minimum he should give every match.

Why wouldnt i bring the manager into it? If the manager doesnt have the balls to drop the player or cannot motivate alot of the other players, what use is he?. The manager has plenty to do with morale around the place.

Disillusionment set in. Lots of players became unhappy for whatever reason, agger said as much only a few weeks back before a europa game.

• Advertisement

And so it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Only mis-placed 8 passes in the last 4 games is a fairly impressive statistic too, just read it there and was surprised. Particularly as he has come on a good bit in the range of passes that he is trying (and mostly succeeding with). Mis-placing 2 passes a game is (dare I say it) better than Alonso used to do and Lucas seems just as happy to get stuck in. Maybe in a few years time....

But that can be a very misleading stat too, as a lot of the time Lucas will play it back or sideways - and it really is a nonsense to compare the stats to Alonso, who would almost always be looking up and trying to make things happen.

Lucas was dreadful at the start of the season (a bit of 2nd season syndrome, as last season was his first season when he established himself as a worthy starter, so perhaps not unusual that he took his eye off the ball a bit).

Being dropped for Poulsen seems to have given him the kick up the rear - he was decent v Blackburn, good against Bolton and very good against Chelsea.

I think there's more to come too, as he proved against Chelsea that he can hit decent passes and keep moves going and even generate attacks - rather than slow them down or be too cautious as would have been a criticism of him in the past.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Why wouldnt i bring the manager into it? If the manager doesnt have the balls to drop the player or cannot motivate alot of the other players, what use is he?. The manager has plenty to do with morale around the place.

I don't care if Fred Flinstone is managing the club. 100% effort is the minimum requirement from him. He is the club captain. He is earning £100k plus per week. There is no excuse for lack of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

previous couple of posts moved to Superthread.

none of that had anything to do with Lucas, seen as he definitely had no problem with Benitez, so i'd suggest we all drop it now from in here.

continue in the next room if you so wish, but i think i speak for a few when i say this particular line of discussion has been done to death more than most! and that's saying something!

Yeah AL you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

He's still only 23.

A lot of better players than him have taken a year or two to adapt to the league before showing their true colours.

If he can keep performing like he has last few weeks we have a very good player on our hands.

Only thing is at home against teams that sit back he wont be as effective, reckon Meirels should be given the centre mid job then

Bump.

What a player.

Outstanding today again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bump.

What a player.

Outstanding today again.

You just know The Muppet is reading this, half seething, half setting up a new account as we speak.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Probably the best player I have have ever witnessed playing and to do it against high flying Bolton too. Wowzers.

The days when I used to cringe in a tight tackling situation are long over.

Le King wrote: »
    Probably the best player I have have ever witnessed playing and to do it against high flying Bolton too. Wowzers.

Now you see that was not big or clever but as it was posted by yourself I'll let you off. It would be unfair to expect much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Good lad. Your lot start creaming yourselves over one good game by Welbz and Clevs, yet when we praise our defensive midfielder who has been imperious for nigh on two seasons you get yo sarcastic on.

The lad was pilloried left right and centre. This thread should act as a shrine to those who said he couldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

He's come on very well since he signed. I used to think he was a donkey myself but his performances over the last year have changed my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

mike65 wrote: »

Now you see that was not big or clever but as it was posted by yourself I'll let you off. It would be unfair to expect much better.

Some people are touchy? Slight joke involved Mike.

Bit of a hypocritical dig though.

Good performance again today. Solid player. Could be playing for bigger and better things :pac:

Look this is the internet you need to post a ;) or summat. I can't mind read and you follow a team with a chronic lack of "Lucas". :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement