Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

IMO just an opinion but he's always giving out looking for cards for players on the pitch and i haven't seen anything myself to think he's good enough for liverpool
    jank wrote: »
    Who really gives a $hit (apart from precious liverpool fans). Squad player, nothing more, nothing less but would not make the first XI for any other top four team...

Can we get on with non-liverpool threads now?
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Poor squad player but with time on his side to improve.

BTW, I neve knew his full name until now, Thanks for the info AL.;)
    Boggles wrote: »
    When the new manager comes in, he will be one of the first on the "TO SELL" list.
    astrofool wrote: »
    He's not good enough for a team that has title aspirations. He might be young, but he really hasn't stepped up given the amount of game time he's been given.
    Yep i agree totally!

Lucas wouldnt get near the Manchester United or Chelsea bench or Man City for that matter, why is that???
    Because he's not good enough for teams with title aspirations.
    RasTa wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the lad since he is effectively Alonso's replacement so obviously nowhere near good enough.

Funny shít guys. Hey Muppet, how is isolation. This sure must be a fun thread to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol he was ****e when I posted that, looked decent today at home to Bolton but let's not get as carried away as Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's been excellent for 2 seasons now Rasta. That's kinda my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

I will admit to not being a fan in his early days although I was never too sore on him....just thought he wasn't good enough at that time. I think I was right then.

However he has gotten better and he's worth his place in the side now.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He's been excellent for 2 seasons now Rasta. That's kinda my point.

The past two? I haven't seen enough of him over those. He has turned into a Masch type player from what I've seen lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Liverpools most consisten player of the last two seasons IMO, bar maybe Kuyt.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Lucas is boss. It's amazing how much he's changed since we bought him

doc_17 wrote: »
    I will admit to not being a fan in his early days although I was never too sore on him....just thought he wasn't good enough at that time. I think I was right then.

However he has gotten better and he's worth his place in the side now.

Young player who got better after his first season in a new league & as he got older?

Real shocker that!
    The past two? I haven't seen enough of him over those. He has turned into a Masch type player from what I've seen lately.

Take my word for it, he's been excellent & was officially our POTY last year.

He's not quite as good in the tackle as Mascherano, but his passing & vision are far superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'll hold my hands up & admit that I got it wrong about Lucas. Never believed he'd be good enough to make it at Liverpool but I'm very pleased to be wrong! Still only 24 yoa too!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

One other thing I'd like to address. There this myth that permeates throughout the minds of many the football fan that Lucas can't pass for shít. They are really rather wrong. Here is some pass completion stats

Today 80%,
    v Arsenal 86%,
    v Sunderland 76%, not great admitedly.

Against United last season, (3-0) 84%, in the same game Carrick was 77%
    Against Spurs away last season, 90%, in the same game Modric was 86%
    Agaisnt Arsenal away last season 81% whereas Fabregas was 75%.

It's an absolute myth that he's a poor passer of the ball.

One other thing I'd like to address. There this myth that permeates throughout the minds of many the football fan that Lucas can't pass for shít. They are really rather wrong. Here is some pass completion stats

Today 80%,
    v Arsenal 86%,
    v Sunderland 76%, not great admitedly.

Against United last season, (3-0) 84%, in the same game Carrick was 77%
    Against Spurs away last season, 90%, in the same game Modric was 86%
    Agaisnt Arsenal away last season 81% whereas Fabregas was 75%.

It's an absolute myth that he's a poor passer of the ball.

But one of the main gripes people had about about Lucas was that his passes weren't very constructive at times. In the past he had looked laboured passing but Kenny seems to be stamping this out of him.

I'd still rather have Masch though but life ain't like that.

Fair lay to Lucas anyway.

How many goals and assists does he have and what is his total games played?

The bigger myth is that all his passes are 5 yards or backwards.

It's good to see Sky highlighting just how good a player he has become. The brain dead amongst football fans will now follow their lead & change their opinion of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

that is not trolling its just being a tosser

Tell me this is a pisstake. Please.

• Advertisement

Tell me this is a pisstake. Please.

Sort of, more so taking the piss out of bambo's pointless post.

The only passes I remember today are two that went straight out of play. He is playing the Masch role so bringing out pass % are pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Do ye want to swap him for Carrick? I'm a Utd fan and think he's one of the most improved players at Liverpool.Nothing fancy but very effective in what he does and doesn't go looking for the hollywood pass unlike someone else at the club.

Comparing him to Mascherano is unfair,he's actually better (a more honest player) Mascherano has turned into one of the biggest cheats in football even managing to overtake Busquets in the diving stakes at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sort of, more so taking the piss out of bambo's pointless post.

The only passes I remember today are two that went straight out of play. He is playing the Masch role so bringing out pass % are pointless.

The Masch roll tends to be on the ground holding his leg lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

As a John Obi Mikel fan...I under Lucas fans annoyance :p Fact is these two players are similar & both do alot of the dirty work & are underated for their respective teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

There is no player in the league who plays his position better. FACT

• Advertisement

The bigger myth is that all his passes are 5 yards or backwards.

Don't want to get into a row here but that was a valid criticism of him ( at times) in his first few years in pool shirt. He was also very slow to move the ball at times and keep a good tempo to the teams play.

But he has improved that aspect of his play and he is great at disrupting the other teams and breaking up their play.

It's no big deal really....a couple of years ago some overrated him and others underrated him. He has settled and hopefully he can have a great season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Passing stats are pointless because most of his passes are short ones to the back or sides. If passing stats are brought up then assists should be too. What makes him a good player is excellent work rate, tackling and positioning

Nobody over rated him a couple of years ago. Nobody was saying at that time that he was a brilliant player, just that he was young & developing very well as a player. While at the same time being booed by the home fans at Anfield, ridiculed in the media & in fora online.

The people who said he'd not be good enough, who booed him and slated with some real venom at times should just all now admit they were being ****ing idiots.

And it should be a lesson learnt going forward, however, it's clear by the stick Flannagan & Henderson have been getting already this season, that it's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I know that my fellow fans have long been disciples of Lucas, but I never truly understood it. I thought of him of a solid player alright but not someone integral to our starting XI. But by jesus, the man was immense today, he dominated the midfield. So I've officially been converted. :pac:

And what a character, to quote an ac/dc song, it's been a long way to the top for Lucas. He's taken a lot of **** from his own club supporters and from rival teams, yet has still managed rise above it and constantly improve. He's truly a marvel to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well to be honest he got very little stick at anfield, there was a few but it was mainly the stay at home fans and the media that gave him a hard time, he always had a great following at any home games, it was clear he was made a scape goat when things went bad

Niallo, he got booed by a good chunk of the Anfield support on at least one occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well to be honest he got very little stick at anfield, there was a few but it was mainly the stay at home fans and the media that gave him a hard time, he always had a great following at any home games, it was clear he was made a scape goat when things went bad

I dont know how many games you watched but when Rafa first had Lucas in the team he was quite poor for long periods , he wasnt a scape goat at all.

He has come on massively in the past year , like a different player

and he only cost £5million when you put in into perspective about 1/4 of the price of anderson who was bought roughly the same time and only half million more than woy paid for poulsen

That's bollox.

He won us the derby at Goodison in what I think was his debut for a start.

He made some mistakes early in his time at the club, but that's nothing new & doesn't excuse how people wrote him off or slated him over that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

lol he was ****e when I posted that, looked decent today at home to Bolton but let's not get as carried away as Alan.

Not just one game, he was Liverpools player of the year last season and has kicked off this season in the same vein.
    He's worked hard and become a quality player who is a very important player for his club.

It's no mean feat playing for the Brazilian national team either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

redzerdrog wrote: »
    and he only cost £5million when you put in into perspective about 1/4 of the price of anderson who was bought roughly the same time and only half million more than woy paid for poulsen

Anderson around 20 million???...jesus.

I dont know how many games you watched but when Rafa first had Lucas in the team he was quite poor for long periods , he wasnt a scape goat at all.

He has come on massively in the past year , like a different player

Yes he was poor, but my point is he shouldn't have being made the scape goat, you could see the potential in the lad

Turtyturd wrote: »

iirc he wasnt a kick in the ass off it anyway

Niallo, he got booed by a good chunk of the Anfield support on at least one occasion.

Well people go on about the night we went top of the table againt west ham and we drew nil nil, how the team was booed of the field, I was there that night it was a pocket full of people, at full time 30 or 40 people can sound like a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Turtyturd wrote: »

Anderson is a much more talented player than Lucas is though. You are going to pay a much higher premium for the flair players. This season I'm pretty confident you'll all see why United paid £20M for Anderson.

On the subject of Lucas, he has improved immeasurably and deserves great credit.

Blatter wrote: »
    Anderson is a much more talented player than Lucas is though. You are going to pay a much higher premium for the flair players. This season I'm pretty confident you'll all see why United paid £20M for Anderson.

On the subject of Lucas, he has improved immeasurably and deserves great credit.

he is no not a better player than lucas imo and certainly not worth 4 times the amount

anderson might look like a flair player but he has been pretty ineffective in his utd career (3 month spell at the start and his last game excluded) to date with very little end product for someone who is suppose to be creative

Ah stop will you, Anderson is very limited, it's just ferguson has a habit of making very ordinary players looking better than they are

While I recognise Anderson may turn into an excellent player this season, Lucas is light years ahead of him currently & has been for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Anderson is a much more talented player than Lucas is though.

I'm a Man Utd. fan and I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I said that, although Anderson has started this season well Lucas is a mile ahead of him, Lucas was one of the best midfielders in the league last year, Anderson has done nothing of note yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

While I recognise Anderson may turn into an excellent player this season, Lucas is light years ahead of him currently & has been for quite some time.

A supposed attacking midfielder and a holding midfielder ?? Where is the comparison ? Performance wise you are bang on about Lucas but technical ability...

he is no not a better player than lucas imo and certainly not worth 4 times the amount

anderson might look like a flair player but he has been pretty ineffective in his utd career (3 month spell at the start and his last game excluded) to date with very little end product for someone who is suppose to be creative

Circumstances haven't been very kind to Anderson so far in his United career. Since he joined the club in 2007, he's never been fit for a full pre season, and anytime he got a string of games together during a season, he got injured.

Anytime he did get 8-10 games in a row, he looked very good.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah stop will you, Anderson is very limited, it's just ferguson has a habit of making very ordinary players looking better than they are

Nonsense

Lucas has been playing regularly for Liverpool for the last two years, while Anderson has been in and out -mostly out(due to injury) so Lucas of course is going to be the much more established player. So, light years ahead in terms of establishment and overall performance wise, yes I will agree with.

But looking at the first 3 games of Liverpool's and United's season, you couldn't say Lucas is currently light years ahead of Anderson ability wise. Not a chance. Anderson offers much more offensively as a central midfielder than Lucas ever will.
    Predalien wrote: »
    I'm a Man Utd. fan and I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I said that, although Anderson has started this season well Lucas is a mile ahead of him, Lucas was one of the best midfielders in the league last year, Anderson has done nothing of note yet.

Do you understand what the word 'talent' means? I guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lucas just does the simple things well though I think this season you'll see more of him getting forward and Adam or whoever is partnering him staying back now and again. Last season he had to stay back because that was his role or Spearing was with him.

He does his fair share of tackling but it's his reading of the play and his interceptions that are the best part of his play, that's a side of the game that doesn't draw huge plaudits but it's very important. Stood out today with Davies being so quiet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anderson has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the game, Lucas is making the most of what he has.

He is a very good player and has become very consistent, he hasn't been error prone over the last 12 montsh or so and that was his problem before. He just made some mistakes that proved costly and at a club like Liverpool those mistakes will always be highlighted.

Anderson last Monday night put on a show that not many are capable of. Just a phenomenal performance.

Do you understand what the word 'talent' means? I guess not.

Lucas is a proven talent, the jury is still out on Anderson. Fairly straightforward in my opinion.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anderson has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the game, Lucas is making the most of what he has.

He is a very good player and has become very consistent, he hasn't been error prone over the last 12 montsh or so and that was his problem before. He just made some mistakes that proved costly and at a club like Liverpool those mistakes will always be highlighted.

Anderson last Monday night put on a show that not many are capable of. Just a phenomenal performance.

Nonsense. Spurs were sh****te and if you judge players on their performance that night thenn Danny bloody Welbeck is on course to be player of the year.

A performance not many capable of? That statement is laughable to be honest.

• Advertisement

Lucas is a proven talent, the jury is still out on Anderson. Fairly straightforward in my opinion.

Lucas has been more consistent and has played more games so it is impossible for me to say that Anderson is more established or Anderson should be starting for Brazil ahead of Lucas.

However, Anderson has the potential to be a world class midfielder. He is much more 'talented' than Lucas. His vision, movement, passing and skill is on another level to Lucas. I didn't say Anderson is a more established player than Lucas, I said he was more talented ie. greater ability.

That is very straight forward in my opinion.

His vision, movement, passing and skill is on another level to Lucas. I didn't say Anderson is a more established player than Lucas, I said he was more talented ie. greater ability.

Anderson, aside from the last few games has been a very poor passer of the ball, he has had a tendency to make bad choices passing wise. Lucas has been a far better passer of the ball. Having more talent as you see it, is pointless if you don't fulfil it, which Anderson so far hasn't. I'm not going to try and argue that Lucas has more talent skillwise, but he is clearly the better player as it stands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    You just know The Muppet is reading this, half seething, half setting up a new account as we speak.... :pac:
    I think Liverpool fans have read enough of the muppets views on liverpool a few months back. He made them quiet clear!

We still remember!

Anderson, aside from the last few games has been a very poor passer of the ball, he has had a tendency to make bad choices passing wise. Lucas has been a far better passer of the ball. Having more talent as you see it, is pointless if you don't fulfil it, which Anderson so far hasn't. I'm not going to try and argue that Lucas has more talent skillwise, but he is clearly the better player as it stands.

I agree that talent is useless unless it's fulfilled, I never said otherwise. All I said is there is a very good reason why United payed £20M for Anderson. He has all the raw talent to become a world class midfielder, and certainly a better midfielder than Lucas could ever be. Whether he fulfills that potential or not is irrelevant to my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

eagle eye wrote: »

:pac::pac: Against Spurs who always always bottle it at old trafford and up against Kjancar and Livermore savage opponents savage players like.

Lucas is boss, good to see the lad prove his doubters wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement