Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Blatter wrote: »
    I agree that talent is useless unless it's fulfilled, I never said otherwise. All I said is there is a very good reason why United payed £20M for Anderson. He has all the raw talent to become a world class midfielder, and certainly a better midfielder than Lucas could ever be. Whether he fulfills that potential or not is irrelevant to my point.
    So how can you tell that Anderson will get better but Lucas will stagnate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lucas has a nice smile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Anderson is better than Lucas. Fúck me but that takes the biscuit.

In his 4 years at United he has never been a first team regular, fringe player maybe but regular no.

Do you really believe what you're saying because surely not.

Lucas is light years away ahead of Anderson. Lucas is a future Brazil captain. Anderson will be lucky to be on the fringes of the Brazil team in 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why are people comparing Lucas to Anderson?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

K-9 wrote: »
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    and he only cost £5million when you put in into perspective about 1/4 of the price of anderson who was bought roughly the same time and only half million more than woy paid for poulsen

He started it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Because some people think defensive and attacking midfielders should be generalized together.One is a exceptional defensive midfielder with limited attacking ability and the other is an injury prone inconsistent attacking player.
    Next you will be comparing Squirtle and Johnson...They are both defenders ... :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yet another stormer of a game today. Fast becoming the player we don't really have cover for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lucas is light years away ahead of Anderson. Lucas is a future Brazil captain. Anderson will be lucky to be on the fringes of the Brazil team in 5 years.

Anderson reminds me a lot of Diego (Ribas da Cunha) who is at Wolfsburg. A lot of potential, but despite a couple of seasons at Werder and a huge transfer to juventus where he played well for 1/3rd of the season, Diego has never really lived up to it.

Anderson plays well sporadically and wasn't even the best Man Utd player on the pitch against Spurs. If he is such a special player, why was he not brought on against Barca in the ECL final?

Liverpool spent £5 million on Lucas. Looks a bargain now.

Utd spent £20 million on Anderson. Nearly 4 times as much and they haven't gotten half the player, in terms of effort and endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

IIRC, this is Anderson's first full pre-season with the club. In that, he hasn't been injured or away on international duty or whatever. I think this season is a very big year for him tbh and I genuinely reckon we could see him chip in with 10 goals this season. He has all the attributes to succeed in England and with a few goals to build his confidence up he could be a fantastic player and exactly what United need.

As for Lucas, really just jumped on the bandwagon last year myself. Finally started to see how well he was actually performing. He does his job brilliantly and is exactly what Liverpool need. Credit to him after the stick he received in the seasons prior from all corners. Shows great mental strength. Here's hoping Anderson does the same and bangs in a few goals this season for people to get off his back about being so shocking in front of goal.

Anderson reminds me a lot of Diego (Ribas da Cunha) who is at Wolfsburg. A lot of potential, but despite a couple of seasons at Werder and a huge transfer to juventus where he played well for 1/3rd of the season, Diego has never really lived up to it.

Anderson plays well sporadically and wasn't even the best Man Utd player on the pitch against Spurs. If he is such a special player, why was he not brought on against Barca in the ECL final?

Utd spent £20 million on Anderson. Nearly 4 times as much and they haven't gotten half the player, in terms of effort and endeavour.

A good point. The thing about Diego is that he is a lunatic so that's why he has fallen off the wagon.

In fairness to Anderson he was excellent against Spurs. I'm not into eagle eye levels of hyperbole, it wasn't the second coming of Pelé, but it was a good performance.

But it is his first good performance is I don't know how long. 2 years ago people were saying he would be world player of the year within 5 years.

Anderson doesn't have a good attitude and has never produced consistently.

Lucas kept the head down, improved all the time, showed great attitude and is now the best player in his position in the league, alongside De Jong.

• Advertisement

Anderson was the best player against Spurs. You can buy into the english media and say Welbeck was but Anderson ran the show. His passing was excellent, he ran the Spurs midfield into the ground(they weren't able to keep pace with his dribbling), he chipped in the goal and put in a fantastic shift. He was certainly the best player on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭skippy15

Anderson is an ok player, but the money they paid and time to get any return dont even think would get that sell on value
    But ye agree what was mentioned we don't have cover for Lucas and is one or first names on team sheet-

skippy15 wrote: »
    Anderson is an ok player, but the money they paid and time to get any return dont even think would get that sell on value
    But ye agree what was mentioned we don't have cover for Lucas and is one or first names on team sheet-

He's still only 23 tbf. He has looked much more focused and happy this season overall. As for sell-on value, I don't think there will be any problems there, I can see him at United for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Right, I'm not reading 40+ pages of this :P But the OP was pure quality, I love Lucas and always have. He's a beast in the middle of the field and always looks up for it, future captain material -just putting that out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

d22ontour wrote: »
    Because some people think defensive and attacking midfielders should be generalized together.One is a exceptional defensive midfielder with limited attacking ability and the other is an injury prone inconsistent attacking player.
    Next you will be comparing Squirtle and Johnson...They are both defenders ... :p

They play in different systems so it's stupid comparing them.

Lucas wont get many assists. It's assists to assists that are important! Like against Arsenal, the pass to Meireles.

He suffered a bit when Alonso went and Masch was still there. When Masch went he could be the DM and he showed what he learned from Masch, reading of the play and interceptions are excellent.

If Adam and him develop an understanding you'll see him getting forward a bit more. He needs trust in his CM partner. Didn't really have that in Meireles or Spearing last year.

Where Gerrard fits in is the interesting one!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It's assists to assists that are important!

This is something nearly all football fans disregard. The pass before the pass is just as useful.Evra has been muck for 2 years apparently yet he does this quite often... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I'm not into eagle eye levels of hyperbole, it wasn't the second coming of Pelé

So you have a dig at eagle eye's supposed hyperbole, and in the same sentence completely misrepresent what he said about Anderson? :o

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anderson has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in the game, Lucas is making the most of what he has.

He is a very good player and has become very consistent, he hasn't been error prone over the last 12 montsh or so and that was his problem before. He just made some mistakes that proved costly and at a club like Liverpool those mistakes will always be highlighted.

Anderson last Monday night put on a show that not many are capable of. Just a phenomenal performance.
    #15 wrote: »
    So you have a dig at eagle eye's supposed hyperbole, and in the same sentence completely misrepresent what he said about Anderson? :o

How is that not hyperbole in the extreme?

Anderson was excellent on Monday against what could be described at best as a poor Spurs midfield. It wasn't a phenomenal performance.

Anderson will not become one of the best midfielders in the game and I'll eat my proverbial hat if I'm wrong.

He's had a decent start to the season and all of a sudden lads are creaming themselves over the thought of an Anderson and Cleverley midfield when neither have done fúck all time at the coalface.

Lucas has been there for nigh on three years. He's developing into a quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

d22ontour wrote: »
    This is something nearly all football fans disregard. The pass before the pass is just as useful.Evra has been muck for 2 years apparently yet he does this quite often... :o

Evra has been fairly shít since the World Cup compared to the couple of seasons before that. Just because he makes the penultimate pass for a goal doesn't mean that he hasn't been playing bad. He is a defender after all, I'd prefer to see him improve on his defending a bit before worrying about assists of assists...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dreamers75 wrote: »
    i would like Sevilla to sign Lucas, the idiot fans are right lucas is ****e sell him tbh.

To Sevilla please ;)

Him and Romaric would be sweet :D

Still deadly, guessing you dont want to sell him now ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Still deadly, guessing you dont want to sell him now ? :(

Thankfully the Texans were ****ed out before they had the chance to do something so stupid!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Thankfully the Texans were ****ed out before they had the chance to do something so stupid!

Wasn't there talk of him going to Stoke for £4 million last summer. Just goes to show how ludacris the situation was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Wasn't there talk of him going to Stoke for £4 million last summer. Just goes to show how ludacris the situation was.

When Roy had just took charge I remember an Italian club (Palermo I think) were sniffing around him. A few months later it surfaced that Christian Purslow apparently had indicated to Roy that bids should be considered for him, but thankfully Roy wanted to keep him. ONe of the few things he got right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

In fairness to the lad, he has been Liverpool's best outfield player for two years now. Surely this can just be put to bed. He's a good player. He'll never get the praise he should get, but that the nature of the position he plays.

Will never be as good as Makelele though. (Care to bite?)

When Roy had just took charge I remember an Italian club (Palermo I think) were sniffing around him. A few months later it surfaced that Christian Purslow apparently had indicated to Roy that bids should be considered for him, but thankfully Roy wanted to keep him. ONe of the few things he got right.

Didn't know that. Sorry Roy, all is forgiven. By all, I of course mean some, and by some, of course I mean a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lucas kept the head down, improved all the time, showed great attitude and is now the best player in his position in the league, alongside De Jong.
    Lucas is not near De Jong's level yet and prob never will be.

He is probably on the same level as Mikel although I'd favour the latter over him too.

I'm not in any way dishing Lucas by saying that, he is a very good player but not as good as some people are saying. The treatment he got at Anfield a couple of years ago was so wrong but now we have Liverpool fans who defended him at the time going way ott about how good he is. He is a solid slightly above average Premier League performer but nothing more than that.

I don't support either club and I've no agenda here I'm just saying it as I see it.

I never said Anderson was ahead of him over the last few years either. Anderson still has to go out and do it for a season but his performance last Monday was sensational. People here then come on and say it was this player and that player for Spurs. Fact is they weren't let play by Anderson and they couldn't stop him either, he was just that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He is a solid slightly above average Premier League performer but nothing more than that.

Arse he will win a world cup doing exactly what he does now and pretty much did when this thread was started.

hes a smashing player always has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He is probably on the same level as Mikel although I'd favour the latter over him too.

I'm not in any way dishing Lucas by saying that, he is a very good player but not as good as some people are saying. The treatment he got at Anfield a couple of years ago was so wrong but now we have Liverpool fans who defended him at the time going way ott about how good he is. He is a solid slightly above average Premier League performer but nothing more than that.

I don't support either club and I've no agenda here I'm just saying it as I see it.

I never said Anderson was ahead of him over the last few years either. Anderson still has to go out and do it for a season but his performance last Monday was sensational. People here then come on and say it was this player and that player for Spurs. Fact is they weren't let play by Anderson and they couldn't stop him either, he was just that good.

No surprises there ^^

I will give you one thing ... Your consistent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

he is a better ball player than both de jong. De Jong is prob better defencively but lucas is still relively young.

I would not swap lucas for mikel in a million years i think he is a far better player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Have to disagree. Mikel is complete rubbish. That was a great bit of business Man U did to get rid of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

As a liverpool fan who watches games regularly I have to say there is some merit to what eagle star says. However theres also some merti to what poster slating him have to say about Lucas.

Fans went OTT slagging Lucas in the past, it was ridiculous for a lad coming from a different footballing culture who only cost £6million.
    However fans are now going over the top claiming he is world class and a "beast" of a player.

I am not slating him, Lucas is a good solid player, the type any successful team needs to provide graft and presence in front of the back four. And he will improve with games, such is the nature of the role he plays. But I do laugh a little but when folks claim he is world class, he is not unfortunately. But there are alot of really good players who don't fall into that bracket.

Lucas came here with a big rep, he arrived here as south american footballer of the year, a goalscoring box to box midfielder and he has had to adapt his game to fit into the side. Some things about him that are most definately world class are his temperment, his attitude and his application. He has shown himself to have tremendous character to bounce back from the pasting he got.

Anyone who has been to games also will appreciate Lucas for his off the ball running which is fantastic. TV camera's don't pick up such eye catching ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

doc_17 wrote: »
    Have to disagree. Mikel is complete rubbish. That was a great bit of business Man U did to get rid of him!

In fairness, Mikel is not at all rubbish. He will get better and better. He is playing in a big side and doesn't catch the headlines.

If he was playing with Stoke or Bolton or the likes people would rave about him.

Like Lucas, he will get better and better with age when his positional sense and tactical awareness improve. Key attributes for players in this role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hahahahaha Woy stand up to Purslow? i highly doubt it, from what i remember teams wouldnt pay what we wanted and Lucas didnt want to go anywhere...

i could be wrong, but i dont believe for a second Roy stood up to anyone during his time at LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

darced wrote: »

This is the kind of lunacy I refer to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Absolute rubbish, i was never Lucas' biggest fan i always though he was too inconsistant but he has really come into his own now ironing out those little inconsistencies in his game. Too mention him in the same breath as Poulsen is garbage and to say that if Poulsen would fit in if given a run of games is also laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

lucas for me is comparable to fletcher at united. underrated by most but appreciated by a few. like fletcher lucas has improved as he settled and matured. im sure united fans would like a fully fit fletcher in the centre of midfield this season

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Jayob10 wrote: »
    In fairness, Mikel is not at all rubbish. He will get better and better. He is playing in a big side and doesn't catch the headlines.

If he was playing with Stoke or Bolton or the likes people would rave about him.

Like Lucas, he will get better and better with age when his positional sense and tactical awareness improve. Key attributes for players in this role.

just to throw this in here, mikel has to be the slowest footballer i have ever seen, he just runs at a consistant pace, if he needs a burst, he has none, its almost comical watching him!

That is incredible poo you've just smeared this forum with.

• Advertisement

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Lucas was rarely as bad as the criticism would suggest.

The most valid criticism of him was that he gave away a few fouls in dangerous areas, which considering the position he plays, ain't much of a criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Anderson was the best player against Spurs. You can buy into the english media and say Welbeck was but Anderson ran the show. His passing was excellent, he ran the Spurs midfield into the ground(they weren't able to keep pace with his dribbling), he chipped in the goal and put in a fantastic shift. He was certainly the best player on the pitch.

if Anderson and Cleverly come up against a full strength Chelsea, City or Liverpool midfield they will get destroyed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Lucas v Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

mada999 wrote: »
    if Anderson and Cleverly come up against a full strength Chelsea, City or Liverpool midfield they will get destroyed....

Really? Clev and Anderson played for 45 mins against City in the Community shield when 2-0 down....

Not saying they are the real deal, far from it but the nonsense above has to be corrected.

It seems Lucas is overrated by Liverpool fans and underrated by United fans...

No no, Lucas is still under rated by most Liverpool fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Poulsen was good, good not great btw, at Sevilla. He went to Juventus and was pants. Has been pants at Liverpool as well.

He's in his 30's and his legs have gone.

Lucas was a star turn at Gremio and their captain as a teenager. It's taken him a while to adapt to the EPL and the weight of expectation but he has developed into a very good player. Much better than Poulsen when the latter was in the Bundesliga at his peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Poor mans Gareth Barry

Advertisement