Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A season and a half of excellent performances at least, I think you'll find.

How do you see Lucas as inferior to Parker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

kryogen wrote: »
    Do you see my empty water jug?

No? Oh well, ok, but it still holds more water then your argument

Do you see where I say 'what a stupid point'?

No? Oh well it's right there ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Do you see where I say 'what a stupid point'?

No? Oh well it's right there ^^^

dig-up-stupid.jpg

Dig up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It appears the Liverpool fans have gone a wee bit 'Lee Carsley Syndrome' on Lucas. Not a spectacular player, could do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

He won an award that is ultimately irrelevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

I'd love to have Mascherano back at Anfield, as cover for Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

G.K. wrote: »
    I started modding this week, but I'm not sure how that is relevant.

No relevance just wondering, congrats.
    Anyway, Lucas is the best DM in the EPL. Beats the rest at a canter except Song and Tiote, and he's definitely ahead of them. (I don't class Toure as a DM.)

I'd rate Darren Fletcher higher and I can tell you you I dont rate Darren Fletcher.
    Mascherano generally only makes the team because he is used as a CB, such is Busquets' quality.

Yes but Lucas wouldnt even make the bench.
    Lucas would play ahead of all of Real's CM options except Alonso and maybe Khedira.

That actually made me laugh.
    What facets of his game are not up to scratch in your view?

Just about everything - He's a defensive mid so all he has to do is tackle for people to say he's playing well, easy enough to be honest and thats why there's a thing I read here called Lee Carsley Syndrome.

He can tackle but that all he does really, 90% of the time he does a 5 yard pass sideways.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

No relevance just wondering, congrats.

I'd rate Darren Fletcher higher and I can tell you you I dont rate Darren Fletcher.

Yes but Lucas wouldnt even make the bench.

That actually made me laugh.

Just about everything - He's a defensive mid so all he has to do is tackle for people to say he's playing well, easy enough to be honest and thats why there's a thing I read here called Lee Carsley Syndrome.

He can tackle but that all he does really, 90% of the time he does a 5 yard pass sideways.
    hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Why Al why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Well yeah, but then Lucas is injured at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How is he limited?

His passing wouldn't be much above average. He has improved since joining Barca, but he is kind of the equivalent of a fullback who is grand defending but offers very little going forward. Grand for the defensive side, and does his duties well but can't burst forward the way Parker can, and can't control the tempo of a game the way Lucas can, and he isn't as agile as Lucas.

Players like Masch and De Jong are fine and have their uses, but are never going to be the same as players who can perform multiple functions.

• Advertisement

You clearly don't watch Lucas or understand the DM position.

Clearly he's not been putting in MOTM games every game, but he has been consistent, and consistently good for the large part since the start of last season. In every aspect of his game I see him as being superior to Parker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lee Carsely Syndrome must = I know very little about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He's a defensive mid so all he has to do is tackle for people to say he's playing well, easy enough to be honest and thats why there's a thing I read here called Lee Carsley Syndrome.

Might I suggest you expand the scope of your signature to include your posts about football?

CSF wrote: »
    His passing wouldn't be much above average. He has improved since joining Barca, but he is kind of the equivalent of a fullback who is grand defending but offers very little going forward. Grand for the defensive side, and does his duties well but can't burst forward the way Parker can, and can't control the tempo of a game the way Lucas can, and he isn't as agile as Lucas.

Players like Masch and De Jong are fine and have their uses, but are never going to be the same as players who can perform multiple functions.

That is a fair enough argument, but especially as he's been playing CB mostly, that's not really a problem. Barca's DM role also doesn't necessitate advanced play either. But point taken all the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

rossie1977 wrote: »

Neville's analysis on Lucas performance that night and on a MNF soon after it was exceptional too.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You're in a minority of Liverpool fans with that opinion then. He's been brilliant most of the time from the 09/10 season onwards. Your description of him I'd use to describe him before that point, and being behind Alonso and Masch at the time was far from a shame. He was easily our player of the year last year, and this season until his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

-Ade- wrote: »
    Neville's analysis on Lucas performance that night and on a MNF soon after it was exceptional too.

Opr

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just gonna name a few other big games that he was brilliant in..

vs Man U (A) 08/09, 10/11 (in FA Cup, did the work of 2 men thanks to Gerrard getting sent off).
    vs Man U (H) 09/10, 10/11
    vs Man City (H) 10/11
    vs Inter Milan (A I think) 07/08
    vs Atletico Madrid (H) 09/10?
    vs Chelsea, numerous times that I've lost count now.
    vs Arsenal (A) 08/09, 10/11
    vs Everton (A) 11/12

Suggest watching those matches back. My favourite besides City this season was the 4-1 performance again United at OT. First 15 odd mins aside, from there on in he was magnificent. Gotta very little credit from fans. I thinkJamie Redknapp did make note of his performance though but called him Xabi Alonso by mistake(though I did have my doubts at the time).

The lad has been excellent for us for the past two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Well he was voted our player of the year last year so safe to assume he put in a few more performances like that. Before his injury we were challenging for top 4 quite comfortably. Since his injury our points average has dropped off the face of a cliff.

Watch that Neville analysis above in conjunction with all the other good stuff you see in the video which shows all his other contributions. Think about the awareness, discipline, fitness etc it takes to put in that performance. For the role he's asked to perform he's among the most complete players in the world.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

90% of the time xavi makes a 5 yard pass sideways.I think its a sign of a good player when he can have the discipline to not try the spectacular all the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The chap is f*cking crap!

Had to lol at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Nailz wrote: »
    It appears the Liverpool fans have gone a wee bit 'Lee Carsley Syndrome' on Lucas. Not a spectacular player, could do a job.

You will find quite a few of the posters defending Lucas aren't even Liverpool fans, there are even a few Man Utd fans here getting behind Lucas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good player but he's one of those who gets better the longer he's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Paully D wrote: »

No no, he was brilliant when he was still in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Paully D wrote: »

I really don't agree with you on this one!! He's been brilliant for us this season and you only have to look at the match thread the night he did his ligament in to see how Liverpool fans knew that his loss would be immense!! There was no hindsight needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

cough *ahem.

Leiva wrote: »
    cough *ahem.

He may be a sh*te footballer but his contributions round here are top notch.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He may be a sh*te footballer but his contributions round here are top notch.

It's great to see Lucas, Carroll and Suarez all posting here on Boards!

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's great to see Lucas, Carroll and Suarez all posting here on Boards!

Yeah, a definite step up from that United player that used to post on here....can't quite recall his name though.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lucas is better than Parker, end of. I say this as a Spurs fan. Parker is incredibly limited, he would be very good for a mid-table side, but not anyone challenging for CL, at least not imo.
    I'd rate Mascherano higher than Lucas though, Masch's passing ability has improved immensely, he often goes for a cross field ball these days and more often than not pulls them off. Added to that his reading of the game has increased even further now that he operates as a CB. There was a good piece posted about him recently in the Barca thread, here it is.
    Have a look at his performance in this clip, against one of the best counter attacking sides this season in La Liga and away from home. He was exceptional.

As for Alonso, he's far better than Lucas and I don't think I need to justify saying that.

THFC wrote: »
    Lucas is better than Parker, end of. I say this as a Spurs fan. Parker is incredibly limited, he would be very good for a mid-table side, but not anyone challenging for CL, at least not imo.
    I'd rate Mascherano higher than Lucas though, Masch's passing ability has improved immensely, he often goes for a cross field ball these days and more often than not pulls them off. Added to that his reading of the game has increased even further now that he operates as a CB. There was a good piece posted about him recently in the Barca thread, here it is.
    Have a look at his performance in this clip, against one of the best counter attacking sides this season in La Liga and away from home. He was exceptional.

As for Alonso, he's far better than Lucas and I don't think I need to justify saying that.

Yes, in every area except mobility and maybe in the air? But in the technical areas Alonso is easily superior.

In my blog recently I acknowledged Mascherano's long passing (In the 1st leg against Chelsea he was excellent in that regard), I'd still put Lucas' attacking game quite a bit ahead of his though.

• Advertisement

Yes, in every area except mobility and maybe in the air? But in the technical areas Alonso is easily superior.

In my blog recently I acknowledged Mascherano's long passing (In the 1st leg against Chelsea he was excellent in that regard), I'd still put Lucas' attacking game quite a bit ahead of his though.

Are you really only 17 or 18??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Stop grooming him Monkey!

Mr Alan wrote: »

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mr Alan wrote: »
    paedo%25252520bear%252525202.jpg

Yes, I'm 17, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Why is this relevant exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think the Fletcher and Lucas comparisons have some merit, though I think Lucas before his injury would have gone on to surpass Fletcher's ability in 2008-10 it will be interesting to see how he comes back...

Yes, I'm 17, why?

Because you're like some kind of prodigy!! I feel like i'm talking to Gab Marcotti!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

quarryman wrote: »
    You can only have an opinion on football if you're this tall logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yes, I'm 17, why?

Pretty sure its a compliment cause you seem to have a knowledge of footie that most lads your age wouldnt have.

You can only have an opinion on football if you're this tall logic

No, it's because i think he's one of the best posters on the forum and i can't believe he's only 17.

• Advertisement
Advertisement