Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The Muppet wrote: »
    Don't livepool play two center mid's so Mach and aquilani would both be first choice .. No???:confused:

as mayordenis said, it's a question of semantics.

as you well know.

everyone knows the order in which it goes, with some inserting Gerrard into the list.

stop being difficult for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so the liverpool super thread has gotten rid of the team comparison, rafa debate and now lucas

god ye wont have much to discuss in there soon enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Muppet....i never said Lucas was 4th choice.

Fink is just talking ****e as per usual.

Headshot wrote: »
    so the liverpool super thread has gotten rid of the team comparison, rafa debate and now lucas

it just shows how much utter garbage is spouted in there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »

as you well know.

everyone knows the order in which it goes, with some inserting Gerrard into the list.

Hey slick I'm not being difficult, I asked a question based on a point made in the thread as I wanted to see if I was missing something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

as you well know.

It does make a difference though, he should never be second or third choice for Liverpool, 4th choice would imply he'd rarely get a start which would be good.

Don't be fretting there's plenty to discuss .:)

Hey slick I'm not being difficult, I asked a question based on a point made in the thread as I wanted to see if I was missing something.

i clarified your original question with...
    well masch and aquilani are 1 & 2.

lucas at 3.

some would put gerrard at 3, knocking lucas down a spot.

that's as complicated as it gets.

no need to be pedantic. you know full well what the vast majority of people are saying.

to which you asked another 'semantics' based question telling me masch and aquilani are first choice, thus making lucas second choice. i knew the order, you knew the order, yet you still asked the question again.

if you weren't being pedantic, fair enough and apologies, but it really came across as very argumentative, and trying to prove some sort of, as i say, semantic-based point.

Don't be fretting there's plenty to discuss .:)

Yeh like Voronin :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It does make a difference though, he should never be second or third choice for Liverpool, 4th choice would imply he'd rarely get a start which would be good.

Well I think otherwise, I think he's perfectly adequate cover with a few to becoming a more integral part of the team over the 1-3 years. He is good enough, he's been without a doubt in our top 3 players this season, if defence had of been on the ball a bit more we'd be talking about how seemless the transition has been and that he's done a great job, which he has.

However people would rather scapegoat the young brazilian than have a go at Carragher and more senior players, it's total bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yep, he should be 4th choice behind Lee Cattermole and Lorik Cana, then Liverpool would still challenging for the title.

Yep, he should be 4th choice behind Lee Cattermole and Lorik Cana, then Liverpool would still challenging for the title.

How many Liverpool fans would argue with that
    1st Choice-Aqualani
    2nd Choice-Cana
    3rd Choice-Cattermole
    4th Choice-Lucas

That would be fine with me :D

1st Choice-Aqualani
    2nd Choice-Cana
    3rd Choice-Cattermole
    4th Choice-Lucas

Ah come on, I wish I could believe your joking.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Well I think otherwise, I think he's perfectly adequate cover with a few to becoming a more integral part of the team over the 1-3 years. He is good enough, he's been without a doubt in our top 3 players this season, if defence had of been on the ball a bit more we'd be talking about how seemless the transition has been and that he's done a great job, which he has.

However people would rather scapegoat the young brazilian than have a go at Carragher and more senior players, it's total bull****.

Yeh Carragher has been awful i agree and others have been poor, doesnt take away from the fact that Lucas isnt good enough either.

Carragher has been a loyal servant and a brilliant player over the years so people wouldnt jump on his back as much i suppose.

i clarified your original question with...

to which you asked another 'semantics' based question telling me masch and aquilani are first choice, thus making lucas second choice. i knew the order, you knew the order, yet you still asked the question again.

if you weren't being pedantic, fair enough and apologies, but it really came across as very argumentative, and trying to prove some sort of, as i say, semantic-based point.

Slick you are normally one of the most level headed posters here so I will let the comments about my post slide.

I wasn't being argumentative or trying to prove any point, I was looking for claification on a point that appeared in a few posts.

• Advertisement

Yeh Carragher has been awful i agree and others have been poor, doesnt take away from the fact that Lucas isnt good enough either.

What exactly is he doing wrong?

1st Choice-Aqualani
    2nd Choice-Cana
    3rd Choice-Cattermole
    4th Choice-Lucas

We'd still be sitting 7th in the table with 19points but instead we'd all be going crazy over rafa spunking £12m on 2 midfielders we don't need when we could of spend it on half decent defensive cover or a decent 2nd choice striker rather then boosting or 3rd choice midfielder options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1st Choice-Aqualani
    2nd Choice-Cana
    3rd Choice-Cattermole
    4th Choice-Lucas

No Mascherano?

We'd still be sitting 7th in the table with 19points but instead we'd all be going crazy over rafa spunking £12m on 2 midfielders we don't need when we could of spend it on half decent defensive cover or a decent 2nd choice striker rather then boosting or 3rd choice midfielder options.

In the world of make believe yeh

No Mascherano?

Nope, no masch. lets go with the Sunderland midfield, because although lucas who has played every game for the team in 7th place is not good enough, the starting midfield for the team in 8th are....

• Advertisement

Nope, no masch. lets go with the Sunderland midfield, because although lucas who has played every game for the team in 7th place is not good enough, the starting midfield for the team in 8th are....

The team that beat Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Someone in the "How's our driving?" thread suggested a user cull would benefit this forum. It was shot down as it was argued that it would be too difficult to decide who should be culled.

I'm hoping this thread is a honeytrap to aid that decision.

I suppose Lucas was blowing up balloons that day was he, sabotaging us?

Get over it, they beat us, we're ahead of them, your logic is broken. Fully broken.

PiE wrote: »
    Someone in the "How's our driving?" thread suggested a user cull would benefit this forum. It was shot down as it was argued that it would be too difficult to decide who should be culled.

I'm hoping this thread is a honeytrap to aid that decision.

Gingers should be culled too but thats never gonna happen :D

I suppose Lucas was blowing up balloons that day was he, sabotaging us?

Get over it, they beat us, we're ahead of them, your logic is broken. Fully broken.

HAHA thats what he must have been doing when he was anonymous for most of the game. was wondering where he got to

So Liverpool are better then United? But you just previously Lucas won't even get into United squad? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

TheDoc wrote: »
    The Lucas focus for me rounds up my point on the liverpool midfield as a whole. A very average,mediocre, if not poor midfield. One decent or good performance from a liverpool player usually grabs the spotlight.

Yes, the Man U midfield of Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick and Scholes is worlds a part from Lucas, Mascherano, Aquilani and Gerrard.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yes, the Man U midfield of Anderson, Fletcher, Carrick and Scholes is worlds a part from Lucas, Mascherano, Aquilani and Gerrard.

yes it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Had high hopes for him when he joined the club, and obviously he didn't hit the ground running but never thought he was a poor player, and lately I think he has improved big time and is starting to perform to the standard we hoped he would eventually reach, still more to come from him in my opinion.

I think hes a similar type of player to Michael Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

yes it is

I'm not even going to bother.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not even going to bother.

right then Ill bother :)

you included an very average player in lucas with a player who has barely played in the PL

so at the moment utd's midfield is better

edit

btw I thought Gerrard is striker these days....

you included an very average player in lucas with a player who has barely played in the PL

edit

well to be fair, United's list is hardly glittering:

One is pretty good, one is average, one is good and the other is past it.

Mascherano is the standout midfielder on either side.
    I'm hopeful Aquilani can go a long way to filling Alonso's shoes

edit

well Lucas made ****e of Scholes and Carrick
    Mascherano is twice the player Fletcher can ever hope to be
    Gerrard is an attacking midfielder borderling striker, but can play anywhere and pretty much would make **** of all your players.

And yes Aquilani hasn't played really in the league at all.

I don't see how you can say your midfield is better, nobody with the dynamism of Gerrard, nobody who can do what masch does (fletcher does an ok impression), Carrick adds little to nothing, Scholes is essentially finished.

Hargreaves could potentially change things if he can get and stay fit but that's a big if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For all this talk about midfielders, I can't for the life of me see why you'd include Gerrard in there anymore. Sure he can play there, but by in large, he doesn't. He plays in a very similar position to Rooney actually. He is effectively a withdrawn striker, by far his best position and the best thing that Rafa has done at Liverpool imo is getting the best out of him there.

Liverpools midfield in reality consists of Mascherano, Lucas, Aquilani and Plessos.

Anderson and Fletcher/Hargreaves imo is a better combination than Mascherano and Lucas. Whether Aquilani sets a higher standard we've yet to see.

oh, reading fail on my part. Infairness PHB, the last Gerrard played midfield was probably the last time hargreaves played there as well.

PHB wrote: »

Anderson and Fletcher/Hargreaves imo is a better combination than Mascherano and Lucas. Whether Aquilani sets a higher standard we've yet to see.

Well both lack creativity, Mascherano is the best of the four so i think Liverpool at least have parity there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Over 230 replies and over 3,000 views for a thread about an average midfielder in a struggling side, just when you think you've seen it all :eek:

Wonder if Lucas played for Wigan would the thread have got so much mileage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

you cant include plessis as 4th choice cm because realisticly if it came to it gerrard would be playing there ahead of him so yes you can still include gerrard there

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Sizzler wrote: »
    Wonder if Lucas played for Wigan would the thread have got so much mileage?

Obviously not, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

oh, reading fail on my part. Infairness PHB, the last Gerrard played midfield was probably the last time hargreaves played there as well.

Gerrard played centre mid against Burnley this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Havent really read through much of the thread but good OP. Ive been one of Lucas' biggest critics. Absolutely hated him since hes been here. Just didnt think he was good enough.

But he is showing signs of improvement and he was brilliant against United. But his problem is that to much has been asked of him. Hes basically filled into Xabi Alonsos role.

I still think Lucas isnt good enough to start in the squad but given time he could become a quality player. Its not his fault our squad is relying so heavily on him but he does get alot of unfair stick. Partly due to alot of games passing him by and he doesnt really do anything progressive alot of the time. A good squad player at present.

Give him time though and he could really become something special. Look at how much Fletcher of united has come on the last few years.

I really hate Voronin though.

well Lucas made ****e of Scholes and Carrick
    Gerrard is an attacking midfielder borderling striker, but can play anywhere and pretty much would make **** of all your players.

And yes Aquilani hasn't played really in the league at all.

I don't see how you can say your midfield is better, nobody with the dynamism of Gerrard, nobody who can do what masch does (fletcher does an ok impression), Carrick adds little to nothing, Scholes is essentially finished.

Hargreaves could potentially change things if he can get and stay fit but that's a big if.

hold on here

lucas as iv said turned up against utd but in other games he has played bad, that doesnt mean he is better than the utd cm

I do love liverpool fans changing Gerrard's position to argue thier point, he is a striker end of so doesnt count

the same masch that has ****ed up a couple of times this season? yes great player but fletch is closer that you like to say
    scholes is finished :D ya good one

he still miles a head of lucas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Absolute bollocks again. I'm gonna think you said this in the heat of the moment but to be so brazen to suggest this shows how biased you are and that there is no point in debating.

At the moment Masch is better alright but to suggest that above is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

17 pages since yesterdy night. A boy Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

RasTa wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks again. I'm gonna think you said this in the heat of the moment but to be so brazen to suggest this shows how biased you are and that there is no point in debating.

At the moment Masch is better alright but to suggest that above is laughable.

i agree the above is a joke and i'm a pool fan,not a huge DF fan either but Masch is probably the best eg. of a one trick pony(tackles,fouls that's all) you'll ever see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

From F365
    wrote:
    LIVERPOOL WANT £14m FOR LUCAS
    If some sections of the Liverpool support were in charge of the club instead of Rafa Benitez, one suspects Lucas Leiva would be out on his arse sooner rather than later.

However, Rafa seems to like him. So much so, that if you believe The Daily Mirror, he has put a £14million price tag on the midfielder after 'a couple of top European sides' asked about him.

Given the lack of cash around at Anfield, these mysterious sides (and frankly, we're not surprised that they're trying to keep their interest quiet - think of the shame!) hoped to get Lucas on the cheap, but Rafa has apparently told them 'No dice'.

Or at least very expensive dice.

£14m :eek: BRILLIANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

From F365

what a joke...surely he's worth 20.:D

From F365

Would any club be crazy enought to spend that sort of money on him.

From F365

I personally think he's a snip at that price ;-)

I personally think he's a snip at that price ;-)

14m is cheaper than anderson cost united. I compare the two them as they are of similar age and play similar enough position.

One thing's for sure we would make a profit if had to be sold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement