Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucas "fu*king" Leiva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

barely average.

go into more detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Headshot wrote: »
    go into more detail

He's nowhere near as good as say, Gerrard, Masch, Xabi etc. IMO, he is very workmanlike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

He's nowhere near as good as say, Gerrard, Masch, Xabi etc. IMO, he is very workmanlike.

He is more workmanlike than Javier Mascherano?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

mayordenis wrote: »
    He is more workmanlike than Javier Mascherano?

don't know about that but as a Lucas hater from the start i'm starting to think he's not as bad as first thought
    he's not good enough for pool but i would have him in the team b4 Mash,also the other night v Villa i thought he did ok,beter imo that Aqua who must have given the ball way about 10-15 times,trying too hard i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

heavyballs wrote: »
    don't know about that but as a Lucas hater from the start i'm starting to think he's not as bad as first thought
    he's not good enough for pool but i would have him in the team b4 Mash,also the other night v Villa i thought he did ok,beter imo that Aqua who must have given the ball way about 10-15 times,trying too hard i think

Aqua will come good, I think? Dunno if Lucas has it in him to get any better.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Aqua will come good, I think? Dunno if Lucas has it in him to get any better.....?

I think he has. He's only 22 and getting better all the time. I'm not neccessarily saying he has a future at Liverpool, he may not be given time.

But i can see Lucas being a fantastic little player, especially when in his late twenties!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo Lucas is a class act now. I've watched Liverpool a couple of times this season and I've been very impressed by him. He made a few high profile errors in the past but week in week out I think the lad is top notch and getting better all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

ah the age old arguement(for the last couple of years anyway:D)

the lucas haters are the ones that are looking for reasns we dont have 11 world class players. they have no reason to actually hate lucas. they will slate him for giving away silly free kicks and possesion whil trying to work the ball upto the front. but the haters wont slate gerrard for giving away a peno, diving or constantly wanting to take corners that he always wastes.

the lucas lovers will argue that lucas is the only one of our center midfield(not counting gerrard) that can pass the ball forward. he is the only one good on the ball(ironiclly). his work rate is up there with kuyt and often passes gerrard with performances this season. he is still only 22. gerrard only became the player he is now the year before benitez arrived(arguably only the year benitez did arrive. he was 24 in 2004).

why cant lucas improve? he is still young. he is good on the ball. likes to get forward. works hard off the ball. does this not sound like a fav captain of ours???

i hope lucas is with us for another 10 years. he can be a driving force in our midfield. he isnt even injury prone....................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Lucas has the potential to become a Liverpool legend imo.
    No i'm not joking ,he's a 22 year old with a starting berth in one one the biggest clubs in the world,that's pretty impressive,by any standards.

He's getting better with experience and will continue to do so, good luck to the lad,I hope he shines and proves all the doubters wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lucas has the potential to become a Liverpool legend imo.
    No i'm not joking ,he's a 22 year old with a starting berth in one one the biggest clubs in the world,that's pretty impressive,by any standards.

Said 'biggest' club in the world only has 3 CM's? Anyway who should be dropped when Masch comes back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

ziggy wrote: »

As a Liverpool fan I have to say certainly when it comes to Lucas the majority on this site are bonkers.

He's not good enough for us, never will be and once we get rid of our manager Lucas will not be far behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

The thing is, as soccer fans, we're obliged to support all our players. I wouldn't fault any Liverpool fan for defending him, and I can see where the haters' coming from. There's probably a player at every club in a similar position. Nani for instance. Eboue, Malouda, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

A decent player but not a great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

If anybody sees fit to call him not good enough, you're watching the wrong sport.

If you watch us for five minutes highlights on a weekly basis and respect the opinion of the cockney press then I understand. But if you actually watch our games you will see what a player he can become.

fkt wrote: »
    If anybody sees fit to call him not good enough, you're watching the wrong sport.

If you watch us for five minutes highlights on a weekly basis and respect the opinion of the cockney press then I understand. But if you actually watch our games you will see what a player he can become.
    Will he player of the decade in 2019. No

Will he player of the decade in 2019. No

So you're telling me you have to the best player of a decade to be a success?

So you're telling me you have to the best player of a decade to be a success?
    No. to his credit he gives a bit of muscle in the midfield but he is no Gerrard or Alonso.

No. to his credit he gives a bit of muscle in the midfield but he is no Gerrard or Alonso.

He's 22 years old. A bit early to judge don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is that a trick question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

He cant tackle without fouling people and he cant shoot!!So to sum up hes bloody useless,and any liverpool fan who thinks the opposite is frankly dillusioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

decies wrote: »
    He cant tackle without fouling people and he cant shoot!!So to sum up hes bloody useless,and any liverpool fan who thinks the opposite is frankly dillusioned.
    Scholes cant tackle. By your logic your disillusioned and Scholes is bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

dillusioned isn't a word.

He can tackle, He can shoot, He passes very well, but yep anyone just grabbing the tabloids to get some "insight" is going to think this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

He's like Anderson at United - has potential but just needs time imo, he has the work ethic and he's bulked up considerably in the last year. I don't think I'm dillusional in believing in a player who plays for the club I support.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PaulieC wrote: »
    He's like Anderson at United

jeez man, low blow. thats not really called for. lets keep it civil!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

copacetic wrote: »
    jeez man, low blow. thats not really called for. lets keep it civil!:p

My sincere apologies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am of the same opinion before and after his mild improvement.

A very limited player who can do a bit of everything but excels in nothing in particular.

Perspective needs to be kept - he is still young but I think it is fair to say a bigger improvement will be needed to keep him an Anfield regular for years to come.

He's 22 years old. A bit early to judge don't you think?
    He's no Gerrard. But its an unfair comparison to be fair. Like you said hes 22. Not young or good enough to deserve his own thread IMO.

• Advertisement

He's such an easy scapegoat. Remember the two victories against Man Utd this year. Carrick didn't get a sniff. Lucas was at the heart of both games.

I just can't argue with you people any more. Is there any chance that you can ban me? I could go on an abusive rampage but it's the new year so lets end my voyage on the 'soccer' forum peacefully.

Farewell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lucas has taken the place of peter crouch as the media/opposition fans liverpool donkey

lucas needs to do more of this though (his ball for gerrards 2nd goal and liverpools fourth), its clearly in his arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

decent player and hes young

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

thats one and only time he has made a pass like that,,
    every team needs player like lusas,, we got two, thats de prob, two dogs in midfield, masch and lusas, great if u want to be a mid table team,but we want more this is liverpool, not hull
    midfielder needs to score at least 5 goals in league,we get none from masch and lusas,
    would like to see masch lusas and aqualani in team, but how/../??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He remains no world beater, but he doesn't hide when the chips are down. Super attitude. You have to appreciate that as a fan, and it's a key quality one would need if they were to significantly improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

quality player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what I have started to notice from hom lately is he is now looking for a foprward pass nealry all of the time whereas 6 months ago he was always playing it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lad keeps getting better & better, another excellent game from him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Lad keeps getting better & better, another excellent game from him today.
    Colossal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    what I have started to notice from hom lately is he is now looking for a foprward pass nealry all of the time whereas 6 months ago he was always playing it back

Ive noticed this too and its great to see. A year ago if I seen him starting and a player like Aquilani on the bench id of been think wtf? But hes such an important player to the team now.

And Il admit I use to hate seeing him start games for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I will echo LL here, still don't think he is a world beater or anything but he really steps up when the heat is on.

Babel was so disappointing for me. He came on fresh and did practically no closing down, he is not going to get many more chances if he carries on in the same vein for me.

Was that a Gerrard corner we scored from by the way? JESUS

Also, does anyone else cringe when Stevie picks the ball up on the left and shapes to cross into the ball with his right ala McGeady?

EDIT: Sorry, forgot what thread this was - went a bit OT.

• Advertisement

yeah watched him yesterday and again his work rate is good. Just dont know if he is what we want going forward. No game time for Aqua yesterday which looks as if Rafa is not prepared to play him where games are likely to be tight.

Lol, When did this thread get dug up.

Happy with Lucas, he had a great game yesterday. He's come on leaps and bounds this season.

Fair fúcks to him after all the criticism he recieved. Obviously a very strong character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

o game time for Aqua yesterday which looks as if Rafa is not prepared to play him where games are likely to be tight.

Violent!

Lucas is getting there, he is limited but has spirit and application and has learnt how to avoid giving too many easy free kicks away.

The next Kaka alright

[quote=[Deleted User];64353639]The next Kaka alright[/QUOTE]

47 posts in the soccer forum?

He'll be better than Kaka!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

rarnes1 wrote: »
    47 posts in the soccer forum?

He'll be better than Kaka!

34 actually and less then a month, still not back into my old account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I have to say, I thought the Everton midfield would eat him up after Masch had to move to RB. He really is earning his spot in the team at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

This man plays his heart out for the team..Although he is not as techinically gifted as some of the other Brazilians what he does do,he does it very Well..Once again yestereday he played his heart out in the Derby against Everton.Last ditch tackles and putting himself about the place.

Lucas is never going to hit a 40 yard pass like Xabi Alsono, He is never going to score a screamer like Gerrard, but what he will do and has done very well all season is put the foot in and got stuck in and try his best.Against Manchester Utd he was a class act...He didnt give them any time on the ball and hounded them down.

This man takes too much stick from people..I dont think people actually see this mans work work.Its unreal.When your at games you see more than what you see on the tele, and constantly he is tracking back and also trying to get forward,Stoke away being a very good example of him getting forward.

My point is,Lucas is never going to set the world Alight with cracking goals,or amazing Passes, but what he will give you,is determination,passion and a willing to work his socks off.The mans attiude is great too..When he was getting slated by the media, and also been booed by a certain section of Liverpool fans,he still got on with his game and never complained..Top bloke in my opinion and a very useful player..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bigron2109 wrote: »
    This man plays his heart out for the team..Although he is not as techinically gifted as some of the other Brazilians what he does do,he does it very Well..Once again yestereday he played his heart out in the Derby against Everton.Last ditch tackles and putting himself about the place.

Lucas is never going to hit a 40 yard pass like Xabi Alsono, He is never going to score a screamer like Gerrard, but what he will do and has done very well all season is put the foot in and got stuck in and try his best.Against Manchester Utd he was a class act...He didnt give them any time on the ball and hounded them down.

This man takes too much stick from people..I dont think people actually see this mans work work.Its unreal.When your at games you see more than what you see on the tele, and constantly he is tracking back and also trying to get forward,Stoke away being a very good example of him getting forward.

My point is,Lucas is never going to set the world Alight with cracking goals,or amazing Passes, but what he will give you,is determination,passion and a willing to work his socks off.The mans attiude is great too..When he was getting slated by the media, and also been booed by a certain section of Liverpool fans,he still got on with his game and never complained..Top bloke in my opinion and a very useful player..

his rage of passing at Gremio was very good, and his 30 yard shots were quite good too.

he seems a completely different player now...

although

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

That cannot be the same player :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement