Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30m shore dives?

• 12-11-2009 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've a few 30m dives to log, been waiting on an opportunity for a while but our club boat is out of action a lot recently. Anyone know any spots along the west or northwest that you can get to 30m off the shore?

I've heard you can get 30 in Killary off Rossroe on high tide with a bit of fining but most of my diving has been off Rossroe so I'd like to try somewhere different!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

You might get one at high tide from the lighthouse at Johns Point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Kilkee, Co.Clare .The back of pollock holes. The Crab's back or Myle's Creek.
    Will be a rare occasion to dive these sites from shore this time of the year.

Myles easily goes 30+ but is a treacherous trek to the entry point, across the pollock holes. Fantastic Dive though.

Crab's back strarts from the furthest out pollock hole, starts from 3 metres and goes 40+ as you head in the direction of the Pinnacle. You'd want to be familiar with the location and the effect of tides on entry and exit.

Contact the local dive centre to get advice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

loctite wrote: »
    Kilkee, Co.Clare .The back of pollock holes. The Crab's back or Myle's Creek.
    Will be a rare occasion to dive these sites from shore this time of the year.

Myles easily goes 30+ but is a treacherous trek to the entry point, across the pollock holes. Fantastic Dive though.

Crab's back strarts from the furthest out pollock hole, starts from 3 metres and goes 40+ as you head in the direction of the Pinnacle. You'd want to be familiar with the location and the effect of tides on entry and exit.

Contact the local dive centre to get advice.

AFAIK the Dive centre is operating some weekends up to Xmas (Weather permitting etc) 065 9056707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

gary82 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've a few 30m dives to log, been waiting on an opportunity for a while but our club boat is out of action a lot recently. Anyone know any spots along the west or northwest that you can get to 30m off the shore?

I've heard you can get 30 in Killary off Rossroe on high tide with a bit of fining but most of my diving has been off Rossroe so I'd like to try somewhere different!

Thanks!

St JOhns Point in Donegal.

Killary Fjord i think is about 28m in the middle if memory serves. obviously tide dependant. Plus its diveable in any weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Peace wrote: »
    Killary Fjord i think is about 28m in the middle if memory serves. obviously tide dependant. Plus its diveable in any weather!

You can definitely get 30+ in Killary, but as a shore dive Rossroe is prob your only bet, and the OP's already done that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

You will defo get 30 off the steps in St johns but why? all the life is on the wall theres just sand at 30+. Also you will get near enough 30 at thumb rock in mullaghmore on a high tide but again why? if its just to rack up your 30m dives a couple of metres wont make a huge amount of odds ie. a 27m dive can be counted as a 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

You will defo get 30 off the steps in St johns but why? all the life is on the wall theres just sand at 30+. Also you will get near enough 30 at thumb rock in mullaghmore on a high tide but again why? if its just to rack up your 30m dives a couple of metres wont make a huge amount of odds ie. a 27m dive can be counted as a 30.

I've just to log a few 30m dives before going for my club diver (cft) test... I know you could probably round up a 28etc but I'd rather hit that 30 on the dive computer! ;) Can't afford to go with a dive center at the moment and rarely have access to a boat so if I get a few shore dive locations I could convince a club diver to tag along for a few dives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

gary82 wrote: »
    I've just to log a few 30m dives before going for my club diver (cft) test... so if I get a few shore dive locations I could convince a club diver to tag along for a few dives!

Check your logbook.
    The rules state any dive over 25m must be done with a Leading Diver or above.
    Also, if there is any training element involved in the dive (which I believe there would have to be) you must do it with an Instructor.

Short cuts usually have a habit of biting you in the a**

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

seadeuce wrote: »
    Check your logbook.
    The rules state any dive over 25m must be done with a Leading Diver or above.

Oops yeah I actually knew that... the guy I was thinking of is actually qualified, usually takes people on their first 30s!

Advertisement