Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Think Cannabis should be Decriminalized in ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd kill for a doobie right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'd kill for a doobie right now.

"doobie doobie do....." :pac:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

zootroid wrote: »
    By the way Jakkass, I suggest you read reefer madness by Eric Schlosser.

I don't think that America is paradies and I'm quite aware that it has numerous issues of it's own. I do think that we can control issues of marijuana consumption, and prostitution more effectively with police force than legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Decriminalization would be a good step forward, but still not enough. You will still have the problem of cannabis being illegal, of criminals making vast fortunes, of no regulation of who gets to buy the drug and of no tax revenue going into state coffers.

You can go on and on about the possible risks of cannabis use, such as how it may lead people (who are already susceptible to mental health problems) to develop schizophrenia, but the fact is people will still try out these substances (and others legal or not) and strive for different experiences, history proves this and the curious nature of the human species will ensure this continues long until such a time as we evolve/mutate into a bland new species devoid of any senses and lack any urge to try something new, to do something differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Jakkass wrote: »
    It is a general expectation that the State would aim to keep the general population as safe as possible. I don't think I'm comfortable with legalising something that could result in a lot of people having schizophrenia, and not only that but the taxpayer having to foot / subsidise the medical bills to boot.

Legalising it would be more expensive than keeping it illegal.

That's assuming many more people do it. You're forgetting its already easy to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    This country is bad enough with the drink and fags not to have this on top. Our society is bad enough as it is:rolleyes:

just incase you have not noticed this is already a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weedfreedomtinp

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Very important to note also that a high majority of gardai would be in favour of legalisation.

hands up who has ever seen two stoners brawling outside the chipper/taxi rank??? Anyone? No? Thought not.

It would need to be stritly 18+ though as it's not suitable for developing brains.

Here's a list of powerful people/groups against it though:

1. The Church(s)
    2. The VFI
    3. Various parents associations
    4. Some from the medical profession
    5. Organised criminal gangs, provo's, etc
    6. The pharmaceutical industry
    7. Politicians
    8. International pressure
    9. The Irish Tourist Board (possible negative connotations for ireland's image abroad)

And perhaps to counter some groups in favour:

1. The Gardaí
    2. Some from the medical profession
    3. Cadbury's, Mr Tayto et al :D
    4. The Tax Man (Move him up to #1).
    5. The Irish Tourist Board (from a revenue standpoint)

Look, its only an academic thread anyway as its not going to happen any time soon.

The State of California legalised it but the DEA doesn't recognise state law (as opposed to federal law) so they continue to shut down dispenseraries.

If this gets resolved at federal level in favour of CA, it should pave the way for other states, domino effect, etc

good comment well spoken,, i think now the government in the usa have said they will stop raiding these medical outlets..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUziSfMwAw&feature=related

Advertisement