Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gah - not all smooth sailing after all

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mmm ok, I'm getting this now. Reminds me of a phrase I heard the last day "The more we know, the more we know we don't know".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

johngalway wrote: »
    Mmm ok, I'm getting this now. Reminds me of a phrase I heard the last day "The more we know, the more we know we don't know".

"Irish bull" just about sums up the whole firearms situation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

johngalway wrote: »

You mean the Cheneyism:
    Known knowns, the things we know that we know.
    Known unknowns the things we know we don't know.
    and unknown unknowns, the things we don't know we don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
    Donald Rumsfeld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

IRLConor wrote: »

Bloody stupid anyway, they should just stop regulating the sale and possession of moderators. The only additional danger from them is if someone unscrews one and belts you with it.

Hello IRLConor,
    I am shocked that you would make such a statement,
    Do you not realise that "Experts" have determined that moderators look scary and are therefore inherently dangerous!

Are you claiming that you have a more informed opinion than someone in the DOJ that has studied in detail the vast amount of anecdotal evidence presented by the esteemed research facility……………….

The action movie university of ballistics, movie land Hollywood California USA?

:rolleyes:

Dvs.

• Advertisement

I got my certs today including one for the Shotgun I applied for, But the cert is kind of strange, The Gun is a Remington 870 12g but the cert I received is for an "Unknown shotgun by Remington"
    Has anyone else had this on their certs or is it just mine?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this on their certs or is it just mine?

Not mine personally but a lad in the club showed me his rifle license before and because the Garda database had no record of the make and model his license just says "rifle of unknown make". Yours at least says Remington. He could find another rifle (different make) with the same serial number and pass it off as licensed.

Odd, to say the least.

EDIT; To clarify, the lad put the details of his rifle on his application, they could have just taken the discription from his application and googled it to confirm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I put make and models on my application forms.

Licenses came back with only "Rifle by Remington", "Rifle by SAKO", "Shotgun by Baikal".

No mention of models.

It's definately a PULSE problem, either it doesn't accept anything more than Make or they aren't bothered filling it in.
    Could be a problem for another guy with a Remington in .20G with the same serial #?

I thought that serial were unique to each gunand their configuration unique to each individual maker so that no two gun worldwide could have the same serial number I had a shot gun that at one time was licenced as a "Sharezzo" when in fact it was a "Rota", a CZ that was licenced as Brno the name is irrelevant its the barel number that identifies the gun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are 4gun, and there is no crossover in serial numbers to avoid such confusion. My post was one of a hypothetical situation.

I had a case of this last year. Had CZ bruno for plinking rabbits. Took 4 months from when i bought it to actually using it. Turns out someone in Wexford was claiming the same serial number as was on my rifle. I produced import papers from the dealers, licenses, the rifle itself all at my local station and everything was verified, but still there was a problem. Turns out the local Gardai (Wexford) didn't bother their b***** to go, or call in the other fella, and check his serial on his rifle. The numbers were the same but he had the letter A infront of his number were as mine had no letter at all. My license was correct his was not. Got it sorted but it could have been done in a day if they had bothered to check things out. Technically for the duration of the investigation i had no license and when i asked about my rifle i wa told the party line "it'll be okay, work away we'll get it sorted".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

It's bull when you think about it, we're told that firewarms licencing is such a serious issue nd we had people on here stressing themselves out over undotted "i" and uncrossed "t" while those in charge take a "whatever" attitude to them
    It just goes to show that TPTB never felt a serious threat from licenced firearms ,they just wanted certain types out of civillian hands for their own personal agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

4gun wrote: »
    I thought that serial were unique to each gunand their configuration unique to each individual maker so that no two gun worldwide could have the same serial number I had a shot gun that at one time was licenced as a "Sharezzo" when in fact it was a "Rota", a CZ that was licenced as Brno the name is irrelevant its the barel number that identifies the gun

Not true! I had the situation where a liscense was not issued for my Anschutz.22 for four months,as the PULSE showed my rifles SERIAL Nr had been sold to a fellow in another part of the country.His rifle was a BRNO with the same SERIAL number.
    Serial numbers are not the be all and end all of identification.however logically if you have ANSCHUTZ serial nr 1234 liscensed to Grizzly 45 and BRNO serial 1234 to Joe Bloggs.It might prevent such mistakes??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Common sense would tell you that a serial number would only be unique for a gun by a specific maker of a specific type and in a specific caliber. I would for example not be one bit surprised to find three Browning pistols with for example serial number 123456 but one would be a 7.65 dating back to sometime in the 1940's the second one a 9mm GP built in 1947 and the third one a 5.7mm built the day before yesterday.

Advertisement