Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVENT 27-29/08/2010 : Nom-con

Options
  • 12-11-2009 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

For August 2010 I'm proud to proclaim that a new anime convention is to take place in Dublin! Myself and a gang of illustrious and amazing conspirators have been plotting this con in the utmost secrecy since the summer till we were sure it was definitely going ahead and we had all the groundwork started.

Nom-con shall be taking place in D4 Hotels in Ballsbridge, Dublin on the 27th - 29th of August 2010!!

A lot of money is being spent into this con and there'll be loads of events, some new, some old, plus we got some great ideas which we will unveil over the coming months so stay tuned to our website and forums at

http://www.nom-con.com Expect more updates and changes to the site as it's still undergoing construction ^^

We'll be taking over the hotel and hope to have events running till crazy hours cause we got 24hr access to the facilities ;) Also we've secured some sweet deals on the accommodation for you all to stay over

Anyways we hope everyone here will help and support us as we try to do something pretty big and of the highest standard and we hope you will love and enjoy it

Oh and there will be drink at it ;)

Nom-ConPostersmaller.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

sounds awesome

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cool. fix your site, looks crap :p

other than that, sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

cool. fix your site, looks crap :p

other than that, sounds interesting!

+1 and spellcheck. (Tournemants)

I am interested in this, I gotta say, but I have to ask, will D4 hotels still be around then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

A year advance? Wow guess its never too early to start planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

damn right! ^^ Got lots of work to do! Expect to see more work on the website over the months plus we hope to open pre-reg in the next couple of months. =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Its great to see another con starting up - and having the info out now is fantastic, getting the date into people's head already etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm delighted the information is up, Liz was telling me about it ages ago. I'm sure the UL anime society will go like they did to the con this year, and I'll get my posse to go
    ^3^
    Supportness

Thanks guys =) Look like we'll be getting a good turnout for it from the reactions at Eirtakon over the weekend. Thanks to everyone at the con who wished us well =)

Our webmaster is currently doing exams at the mo but he'll get on top of the site asap =)

New updates on the website at www.nom-con.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

It's great to see another con start up but that price is a bit steep don't you think?

• Advertisement

Sadly yes the price is a little higher than some other cons in Ireland but so's our costs especially with it being the first year (many many thousands @~@). For the 35euro weekend entry you'll be getting a large classy venue in the city centre, free t-shirt, con bag and an overall good quality experience.

I explained about the costs on our forum if you wanna take a look, but we will be aiming to deliver a great experience with prizes, freebies and events to keep you happy. =) Also bear in mind where the event costs more for many you'll be making savings on accommodation and travel.

anyway topic here!
    http://www.nom-con.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=discussionthread&action=display&thread=81&page=1

Forgot to update here but we now have a guest confirmed along with traders and also pre-reg is open =) More updates to come in the near future! XD Also we hope to have a few surprises for attendees on the weekend itself ^^

Remember all of us are volunteers working hard for a good cause and your money and attendance will be what makes the weekend and we hope there'll be many more cons to follow! =)

If you live in the Dublin area or have friends you can crash with then travel to the con is very cheap. You don't have to book a room in the hotel but it's a nice convenient facility I think ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mkvenner

Ive never been to an anime convention and it sounds its going to be great, so im gonna do everything in my power to go to this!

and i wish the organizers the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The guy wrote: »
    It's great to see another con start up but that price is a bit steep don't you think?

Not considering similar cons in the UK charge £45

Mkvenner wrote: »
    Ive never been to an anime convention and it sounds its going to be great, so im gonna do everything in my power to go to this!

and i wish the organizers the best of luck!

Thanks man!! ^__^

Well cons are pretty expensive to run. It's not like any of them are pocketing the money. A lot of them in the UK actually only break even! O.O

We're doing pretty well on the price especially considering we're in one of the largest hotel conference centres in the country! ^^

Oh! Almost forgot! There's a new update on the site. We've got more guests, more traders, and more event info! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Soccertainer

Sounds cool. I'll probably go if I can convince anyone to go...It doesn't seem to be too well promoted? If I hadn't logged onto boards I'd probably not have heard of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

how much is the accomidation in the hotel anyhoo??^^

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Soccertainer

Considering going but my friends aren't...they think i'm a geek. Which of course, I am!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just go dude. You'll meet plenty of people there with similar interests. It feels a bit daunting going to the first one by yourself, I've been there. But within 10 minutes you'd be chatting to a few people at it, trust me :D

Sounds cool. I'll probably go if I can convince anyone to go...It doesn't seem to be too well promoted? If I hadn't logged onto boards I'd probably not have heard of it...

Well still our first year so it's pretty tough getting word out but we've distributed 6,000 flyers to key events in Ireland and the UK and have posters up around Dublin city center and some other places along with having pages on facebook, bebo, DA, and Animexx ;) Even so any help anybody can give in spreading the word would be hugely appreciated! :)

As for accommodation there should be link on the site :)
    http://www.nom-con.com
    70euro a night is pretty steep if just one of you taking the room so it's recommended you buddy up and the price drops like stone =) Anyway you don't have to get accommodation but it is pretty handy especially if in cosplay.

Also if going on you're own a good idea is to bring a camera or cosplay. Helps break the ice and you'll get chatting loads of people who want to take your picture or you take their picture ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

sounds awesome. going to register for this straight away. prob end up going solo but who cares.

Thanks man! ^^

Hi all, we're going to having a cosplay picnic this coming saturday! ^___^

nom-concosplaypicnic.jpg

The plan should be something like this =)

12-1pm: meeting at FP for voice actor signings then leaving at 1pm. Arrive early if you want to see the voice actors Tara Platt (Temari) and Yuri Loenthall (sasuke)

1.30pm: Arrive at Merrion Park for picnic, photo shoots, and maybe pokemon DS gaming (everyone usually brings them anyway). We shall be accepting pre-reg for Nom-con if you wanted to pay by cash. Exact change will be a huge help but we'll have some spare change. Think Liz and Sinead might be there a little earlier if you wanted to skip FP?

4pm or a little later: Head off to get dinner?

Here's the facebook event page =)
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=130959760253348

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LadySaphira

The picnic t'was awesome fun for me!

I think our next event will go just as well if not better next month.

Have a look at the details for the next event when their up and try come along! Also you can pre-reg then to save yourself the trouble of paypal or postal order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sex pigeon

Sounds daycent!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

brillant - would this be suitable for a manage nut 11year old? it mys friends daughter? thats all she reads, watches, she is also making her manga book and her illustrations are great - considering her age.

i would to be able to bring her to this

Yeah she would be fine. The age group is usually diverse, from 10-30somethings. There wouldnt be anything offensive or crude or such. Just a bunch of guys and gals obssessed about the world of Anime and Manga :pac:

yep and we'll have age ratings on any of the anime being screened =) Once you're about to look after her it should be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Beankyu

That's a good idea.
    Just look over all.

Hire Java Developer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

With a month to go until Nom Con, any boardsies planning on attending? I really hope I can - looking for a house for the coming college year at the moment so if that's all sorted by then, I'll certainly be popping over.

Looking forward to anything in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Hotaru wrote: »
    With a month to go until Nom Con, any boardsies planning on attending? I really hope I can - looking for a house for the coming college year at the moment so if that's all sorted by then, I'll certainly be popping over.

Looking forward to anything in particular?

I might be going, maybe just for the one day. It depends if I have money.

Advertisement