Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVENT 27-29/08/2010 : Nom-con

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Hotaru wrote: »
    With a month to go until Nom Con, any boardsies planning on attending? I really hope I can - looking for a house for the coming college year at the moment so if that's all sorted by then, I'll certainly be popping over.

Maybe, just maybe.

I think I'm being dragged by the rest of the Pokéforum peeps for the tournament :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I'm going. Though the 35 euro is a BIG put off...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Xinkai wrote: »
    I'm going. Though the 35 euro is a BIG put off...

I couldn't agree more. Sorry Nate. That is very pricey for an anime event.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

It's not, really. Tickets for conventions in England like Kitacon, Ayacon and Amecon usually set me back over forty euros, and that's before I get flights, hotel costs and all the money I'll be spending on merchandise. But it's worth it when they run events and panels from dawn until dusk, and Nom-Con will be doing the same.

Missiechan wrote: »
    It's not, really. Tickets for conventions in England like Kitacon, Ayacon and Amecon usually set me back over forty euros, and that's before I get flights, hotel costs and all the money I'll be spending on merchandise. But it's worth it when they run events and panels from dawn until dusk, and Nom-Con will be doing the same.

Ok. I say it will be great fun. I am hoping to come along on the Saturday.:)

Edit: I was just saying it seemed alittle expensive as from my own expereince running events, I learned that you should never charge a big amount into a new running event unless you are very certain that you can give your attendees what you promise. In most cases, new run events are charged on a cheap basis and then if things go well then you can charge your attendees more the next year because they are certain the event will be good. Anyway I am just saying this for feedback and I am sure you all know what you are talking about but just saying it anyway.

I am hoping this event goes well as it is great to see more anime events and cons popping up in Ireland. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Haven't registered yet but I'm planning on going.

Actually, to be honest, after this;
    Missiechan wrote: »

I am seriously thinking of not going. I think people have the right to vice their opinion. If you are working for an anime convention or an event and is trying to encourage people to come reacting like the above is not going to help.

I am seriously thinking of not going. I think people have the right to vice their opinion. If you are working for an anime convention or an event and is trying to encourage people to come reacting like the above is not going to help.

That's fair enough. You're welcome to come along if you change your mind. And you certainly have a right to voice your opinion, just as I have a right to disagree and offer a different perspective.

When I went to Auchinawa in Scotland the first year it ran and likewise Kitacon, they charged the standard fee for conventions in the UK, which was around 40 pounds (pretty much 45 euros). They started at 10am almost every morning and ended at around 2am, or they just kept going through until the next morning. That's a big strain on staff but it made for a wonderful event-filled convention, so to my mind it's worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

i am going. cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Hi there, I can't access the Nom-con site at work so I'm hoping to get some advice here ...

My daughter and her friends want to go. We did the pre-registration and went on holidays and when we came back she'd received an e-mail saying:

"Please be aware that the last date for Payment is the 3rd of August, if you have not paid by then, you may be removed from the registration list."

We were away when it came in so she got it after the "last date".

Does this mean that people who turn up on the day can't pay in then?

Edit: Thanks for the feedback folks, managed to get in touch with them and it's all clear now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm going with 3/4 of my friends. I preregged but couldnt pay as I was away on holiday.

People who turn up on the day will get in, the prereg just means pay in advance and get some extra goodies in a bag.

LittleBook wrote: »
    Hi there, I can't access the Nom-con site at work so I'm hoping to get some advice here ...

My daughter and her friends want to go. We did the pre-registration and went on holidays and when we came back she'd received an e-mail saying:

"Please be aware that the last date for Payment is the 3rd of August, if you have not paid by then, you may be removed from the registration list."

We were away when it came in so she got it after the "last date".

Does this mean that people who turn up on the day can't pay in then?

I'll have a quick word with the person in charge of registration, we'll get back to you as quick as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

I don't really see anything offensive in what she said but you're more than welcome to give feedback. I'm sure any advice or support another anime con organiser such as yourself can give would be be very helpful to us.

While the price is higher than your own event, our costs are higher in many areas and any money we get will all go into the anime community in Ireland.

Just to remind you we're all volunteers and nom-con is a non-profit event funded by pre-regs from all you amazing people who have sent in money, and also a few highly dedicated individuals who have generously lent their savings.

Thanks to all who pre-reged! It is our first year and I'm sure there'll be a few hitches no doubt but we hope you'll enjoy what we're spent a year working diligently on ^^

Archeotech wrote: »
    I don't really see anything offensive in what she said

It was unprofessional. She should have explained and responded in a more kind and professional manner.
    but you're more than welcome to give feedback. I'm sure any advice or support another anime con organiser such as yourself can give would be be very helpful to us.
    Glad I can help. I hope all is going well with Nomcon, I look forward to it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Yeah she would be fine. The age group is usually diverse, from 10-30somethings. There wouldnt be anything offensive or crude or such. Just a bunch of guys and gals obssessed about the world of Anime and Manga :pac:

great thanks guys, i said to her parents on Saturday night and they are fine with it.

But i told herself and jesus she was nearly bouncing off walls - i havent seen her smile so much since is was a baby :D (she had been told she couldnt go)

now i have two problems i am have been informed that i have to dress up :eek::confused: well many people be dressed up ? and what in gods name would i be dressing up as (i am assuming i cant go as princess Fiona) :pac:

the other thing is where do i get the tickets from

thank you

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Genesisgoboom

irishbird wrote: »
    great thanks guys, i said to her parents on Saturday night and they are fine with it.

But i told herself and jesus she was nearly bouncing off walls - i havent seen her smile so much since is was a baby :D (she had been told she couldnt go)

now i have two problems i am have been informed that i have to dress up :eek::confused: well many people be dressed up ? and what in gods name would i be dressing up as (i am assuming i cant go as princess Fiona) :pac:

the other thing is where do i get the tickets from

thank you

IB

Hi there

You don't have to dress up, but I would say most of the people there will be, as for getting tickets, you need only turn up to the event to get them, Pre registration is closed now, as all our orders have gone through, but tickets are on sale on the day of the event ^__^ so no worries there.

Hope to see you at the con!

Lorraine

thanks guys,

apparently I HAVE TO DRESS UP :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Is there only t-shirts for pre-regs or is there just limited t-shirts at the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

irishbird wrote: »
    apparently I HAVE TO DRESS UP :(:(

When it comes to an anime con, that's a good thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Genesisgoboom

Funky wrote: »
    Is there only t-shirts for pre-regs or is there just limited t-shirts at the door?

Depending on printing costs, we might have a few extra for the door, as it is our first year, we are on a very tight budget ^___^

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    When it comes to an anime con, that's a good thing ;)

i will googling away at the weekend - i have no idea what this anime thingy is :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So, who from A&M is going to this?

I shall be in attendance on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, cosplaying as Death the Kid. Anyone here wanna meet up for some A&M Boards drinks? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'm still not sure what I'm at yet.

Hopefully gonna make it for a day trip on Saturday, doubt I can make the whole weekend :(

I'm still not sure what I'm at yet.

Hopefully gonna make it for a day trip on Saturday, doubt I can make the whole weekend :(

Boo-urns! :P

The events on Friday and Saturday night run up til 2am also :D jpop Rave party ftw :P

The events on Friday and Saturday night run up til 2am also :D jpop Rave party ftw :P

Want. To. Go. :(

I'm moving back to Dublin the the week after, BOO not having accomodation for Nom Con (and not being able to afford a hotel >_<).

Trying to sort out crashing at a friends so fingers crossed :D

Want. To. Go. :(

I'm moving back to Dublin the the week after, BOO not having accomodation for Nom Con (and not being able to afford a hotel >_<).

Trying to sort out crashing at a friends so fingers crossed :D

Cool, well if ya need any help, or wanna crash at our hotel room then do, im sure the staff won't really notice anyway :pac:

Yep I will be there and now I am going the whole weekend.:D I will be dressed as a generic anime schoolgirl in a kogal vest. I am looking forward to the timetable to be up. I really want to know what events will be on.
    BOO not having accomodation for Nom Con (and not being able to afford a hotel >_<).

My mate is coming with me from Cork and she is staying in a hostel which costs her only 12E a night. The hostels in Gardiner St tend to be very cheap. I hope you can find accommodation.:)

Yep I will be there and now I am going the whole weekend.:D I will be dressed as a generic anime schoolgirl in a kogal vest. I am looking forward to the timetable to be up. I really want to know what events will be on.

My mate is coming with me from Cork and she is staying in a hostel which costs her only 12E a night. The hostels in Gardiner St tend to be very cheap. I hope you can find accommodation.:)

Timetable has been up for a few hours now

http://www.nom-con.com/Friday.pdf
    http://www.nom-con.com/Saturday.pdf
    http://www.nom-con.com/Sunday.pdf

Looking forward to the Karaoke, jpop disco, workshops and ahem... teh Hentai Panel :pac:

teh Hentai Panel :pac:

*gasp* I will be going to that.;)

• Advertisement

Ooooh, that hostel sounds promising, I've off to research now! :)

And the hentai panel...unmissable I feel! :p

Advertisement