Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVENT 27-29/08/2010 : Nom-con

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

So whats A&M most looking forward to this weekend?

I'm personally looking forward to BlazBlue on sat & Super Street Fighter 4 on Sunday =]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I might go for some part of Saturday, but meeting up with a large group of people unrelated to the con later that day, so not sure if it'd really be worth it (or worth €20) for a half-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jengalen

I just saw that Chris Patton isn't going. He was the only reason I was gonna go. This sucks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got off work Friday so I'll be there all day Friday as well as the weekend instead of just the Friday night onwards as originally planned :P

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I'm good for this! Pre regged quite some time a go so I'm really looking forward to it :) If you see Monkeyto, feel free to say hi!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

more questions :)

is this in Jurys Hotel ? It just say D4 hotels Dublin and there are 3 of them in Ballsbridge.

also i cant see a start and finish time :o

thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As far as I'm aware it's in the Ballsbridge Inn hotel. Starts Friday at 3pm and wraps up at 10pmish on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

prob going to spend a lot of time in the trade hall. already in the pokemon tourney and prob going to go in for SSIV as well. looks like a pretty great schedule IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

When's the hentai panel?

Also, I want to sell stuff on Saturday but can't make today because of work. Anyone know if this is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    When's the hentai panel?

Its on at 12.30 on the Saturday night in the Mezz I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Just got back home now!

2nd place in the pub quiz. Woot!

Yeah last night was good. Hotaru are you up today? There's a,few boardsies around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

RARGH no :(

Couldn't get anywhere to stay in Dublin in the end and I'm entirely broke so couldn't even afford a hostel. Ugh.

Ended up a Street Fighter tourney in Limerick with the boyfriend instead >_< :p

Hope it's going awesome guys, and I'll DEFINITELY be around for Eirtakon \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ebaysellerrob

cosplay in ireland,is this just gonna be a bunch of guys in dresses????what it been like last few days,do you not think the hentai thing is gonna make alot of weirdos(like the one whos wife died and started dressing in her clothes straight away)come to this event which seems like a broad range of ages would go to

i was there today. enjoying it for the most part. did not stay for hentai panel. already paid too much in parking charges. gonna leave the car behind tomorrow. john swasey was awesome, a really funny guy. his panel was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

cosplay in ireland,is this just gonna be a bunch of guys in dresses????

Oddly enough my main complaint with cosplay has always been the fairer sex cosplaying male characters (ie Ritsuka, Ciel Phantomhive etc.) but I've never been to an Irish cosplay event so it may be different here :pac:

really how strange I suppose there may not be as many tomboy charcaters for girls???Was hoping to go see the speaker from full metal panic...anyone know if that idea for a film with the guy from high school musical is going to happen or even true,he is a bad choice the person that should be cast is a younger keanu reeves, think about it a wooden(in a good way) acter who is use to doing action films and seems out of place in most situations

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I ended up not going as my mate was sick. I have been hearing good reviews about it. :) Hope all is going well and will try and defo make it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm just back in from the weekend there. It really was a fantastic first run as a convention, fair dues to all involved. I tip my bandana to you.

Sairus wrote: »
    I'm just back in from the weekend there. It really was a fantastic first run as a convention, fair dues to all involved. I tip my bandana to you.

Any major highlights?

• Advertisement

47910_434758492421_509472421_4999268_3261168_n.jpg
    My photos on fb are very biased towards me as my friend had the camera :P there should be plenty more popping up eventually. I went as Death the Kid of course.

It was a fantastic weekend IMO. Best Irish con I've been to so far. Some very good cosplaying and some really sound new friends were met :P Definately going back next year

Delighted to hear it went well!

Cheers for the photos and videos too - really appreciated! :D

Only went Saturday.

Good bits:
    Really open venue.
    Enthusiastic con goers.
    FANTASTIC cosplayers.
    A really dangerous dealer's room (dangerous for my wallet) :pac:

Bad things:
    The Tekken setup was laggy as all hell :(
    I lost a Fate/Stay-Night wall scroll...
    Staff were too bureaucratic about carding for Hentai panel -- thus I missed it (bros before pron)

Undecided:
    Being the only guys buying beer :rolleyes:

Overall, this was a really nice experience. Looking forward to next year.

good points
    the John Swasey panel was my personal highlight. the team giblets panel was aweseome too. agree that the trade hall was very dangerous. i spent waaaaayyy too much money. some of the cosplay was amazing and there was a good balance of guys and gals. got exposed to some new shows in the screening room i had not come across before and will definitely check out.

bad points

more organization needed on the videogame tournaments.
    because it was a small con some of the guests cancelling really hurt them.
    i ended up going on my own and 90% of the attendees were under the age of 20 and that kinda felt weird. im 29 btw

overall as a first run it was great. i can never make it to eirtakon so this was my first con but i defintely want to travel and see others now. i have the fever for conventions now. totally sucks going back to reality and back to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Was a great performance for a first con. Venue was a nice size, very few issues with crowding despite a decent number of people being around. The staff were pretty cool and with the exception of the hentai panel they pretty much did a perfect job in my opinion. Trade hall was awesome. Cosplay was great and the atmosphere was pretty cool.

Not enough older people(over 18) would be my only complaint but I guess that's not really something in the hands of the organisers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Glad you all enjoyed it.:)

My friends little girl was fair too young for it.:(

i couldnt find a start time so she had me there for 9am, didnt get in the door until 10.15am, by 10.30am she had spent all her money and seen everything.

at 10.45am, we left.

Drove home at 1pm, someone gave another €20 - back in the car, drove for an hour in traffic so she could spend her €20 - we were there for about 10 mins - back in the car and drove home.

she keeps talking about when i bring her next year - she had been told to ask her uncles :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

Thanks all for the feedback, we did our very best and although we had a few hiccups, we had a great time running it and we were glad to see that everyone had such a good time. And now to address the issues:

I was one of the girls running the hentai panel, and I'm sorry if some of you couldn't get in, but we had warned about photo ID being needed several times on the forums and at the con, and once more in the conbook. This is to protect the con, some people (like me) look underage and are much older, and some people look to be in their twenties and are actually teenagers. I even had people I personally know to be over eighteen bring ID to set a good example. Your assurance that you are the right age just isn't enough unless I know you personally, and if we were to get in trouble for having an underage person in the room that means no more hentai panel for next year, and that's not fair on the other congoers.

K.O. Kikki, a lot of stuff was lost over the three days and the majority of it was handed over to a member of staff. Did you check our lost and found? We'll probably have a thread about it soon on the forums so ask there, it's possible we have it and can get it back to you.

was gonna go to this,but then saw hentai on the billing and that mixed with cosplay can go very wrong.I dont see why there has to be hentai at a convention that is open to all ages even if that area if photo id required.It seems like its sending out mixed messages and would prefer to have seen that area used for other things(would have loved a full metal alchemist panel).I doubt comic con has ever had to resort to any sort of adult enterainment(dont bring up any over 18's anime or video games).At least a noticable percentage of the people that went to the con seem to have wanted access to the hentai panel-perhaps you attracted a certain type of audencie that conflicts with the overall vibe of an otherwise successful con.Hope to see this evolve over the next few years and become a little more all ages

Dude, the hentai panel was after midnight -- all the young 'uns had gone home! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Missiechan wrote: »
    Thanks all for the feedback, we did our very best and although we had a few hiccups, we had a great time running it and we were glad to see that everyone had such a good time. And now to address the issues:

I was one of the girls running the hentai panel, and I'm sorry if some of you couldn't get in, but we had warned about photo ID being needed several times on the forums and at the con, and once more in the conbook. This is to protect the con, some people (like me) look underage and are much older, and some people look to be in their twenties and are actually teenagers. I even had people I personally know to be over eighteen bring ID to set a good example. Your assurance that you are the right age just isn't enough unless I know you personally, and if we were to get in trouble for having an underage person in the room that means no more hentai panel for next year, and that's not fair on the other congoers.

K.O. Kikki, a lot of stuff was lost over the three days and the majority of it was handed over to a member of staff. Did you check our lost and found? We'll probably have a thread about it soon on the forums so ask there, it's possible we have it and can get it back to you.

Missiechan you were the highlight of my weekend ;)

Advertisement