Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

In fairness, the Irish women -slating has gotten seriously old at this stage.
    I mentioned in a previous Irish women slating thread that I prefered English men only to be reliably informed that they were all gay. :rolleyes: Sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

shqipshume wrote: »
    Because i am sick and tired of Irish men slating Irish women and then pointing to others and saying they should be more like that.Why the hell should they?
    If you don't like them don't date them and if you like look of non national good for you.Still doesn't give you right to make judgments on women/girls(same goes for your oh) you don't even know and don't want a life with.
    The OP asked a question and he provided the answer.

Oh, and of course he has the right to make judgments on anyone he likes. Where did you get the ridiculous notion that he doesn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

bronte wrote: »
    In fairness, the Irish women -slating has gotten seriously old at this stage.
    I mentioned in a previous Irish women slating thread that I prefered English men only to be reliably informed that they were all gay. :rolleyes: Sure.

Someone did ask.

I do think it's a bit silly to judge someone on their nationality. I've seen gorgeous Irish girls, Dutch girls, English, etc. Also seen absolute nasty-looking girls in all sorts of places. Hardly related to nationality.

Someone did ask.

I do think it's a bit silly to judge someone on their nationality. I've seen gorgeous Irish girls, Dutch girls, English, etc. Also seen absolute nasty-looking girls in all sorts of places. Hardly related to nationality.

Of course, but it's become a national sport at this stage. Some lads seem to take pleasure in it. It's horrible to be talked about in such a fashion. I agree, nationality doesn't have much to do with looks imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Of course, but it's become a national sport at this stage. Some lads seem to take pleasure in it. It's horrible to be talked about in such a fashion. I agree, nationality doesn't have much to do with looks imo.

It does though, at least a little. Some people find Asian or Middle Eastern or African or Eastern European or Scandinavian facial construction attractive, that has to do with nationality. It'd be a bit ignorant to say the Irish don't have a distinct look; they certainly do. The type appeals to some people and not others. Like.. I wouldn't necessarily find Asian men attractive, but I find Scandinavian men attractive as a rule.

liah wrote: »
    It does though, at least a little. Some people find Asian or Middle Eastern or African or Eastern European or Scandinavian facial construction attractive, that has to do with nationality. It'd be a bit ignorant to say the Irish don't have a distinct look; they certainly do. The type appeals to some people and not others. Like.. I wouldn't necessarily find Asian men attractive, but I find Scandinavian men attractive as a rule.

True.. I suppose I've just seen people I'd consider beautiful no matter where I've travelled. I don't think I look 'distinctly' Irish. I've been told I look norwegian etc.
    Still though, the whole "They're ugly, fat snooty princesses" rabble is very tiresome. I wish people wouldn't judge the lot of us on a few bad ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well there is a bit of a cultural problem. We've a much bigger difference in gender than most countries. Probably all those single sex schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

shqipshume wrote: »
    Also how they dress as well,like Irish men have even an idea how to dress at all :confused: Like hello jeans hanging off your asses and beer bellies hanging out,ever heard of a belt ? drinking till you cant see anymore and drooling all over the Girls in pub and clubs and cursing.

You haven't been out in a while have you ? Thats how the girls are actin these days. Last time I was out some random Irish girl picked a fight with my friends GF - I mean physically tried to pick a fight (my mates mental Irish girlfriend was too drunk to really notice thou so nothing came of it - thank god). The same fighty girl then proceeded to try and chat me up 15 mins later seemingly having forgotten trying to pick the fight (the magical powers of alcohol). When I pretty much blanked her she somehow thought it was ok to grab my ass. Actually, not ok.
    I have NEVER seen a foreign girl acting like this (Hmmm ok outside of UK Temple Bar stag parties that is).
    Lets face it ratio of good Irish men who have manners and dont treat Irish women like shiat is small percentage.
    but thats just it you see. irish girls have no interest in nice guys. they treat the nice guys like sh*t, so the nice guys go find themselvs nice foreign girls instead. the foreign ladies tend to appreciate a nice guy more

Anyhow - I do think the Irish girl bashing has gotten a bit excessive on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It'd be a bit ignorant to say the Irish don't have a distinct look; they certainly do

No way, people in Ireland look the exact same as British people

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    No way, people in Ireland look the exact same as British people

Similar to the Scots, maybe, but no, they really, REALLY don't. At least not like the English. I lived in England 6 months, and they definitely have a distinct look about them that is quite different to the Irish look.

Unless you're making a remark about Northern Ireland..

we'll have to agree to disagree. I lived over there for ages too and people would never have known I was Irish by looking at me. It's the same anywhere I've been.
    And any English people I know could easily say they are Irish and people wouldn't think any different of it.

we'll have to agree to disagree. I lived over there for ages too and people would never have known I was Irish by looking at me. It's the same anywhere I've been.
    And any English people I know could easily say they are Irish and people wouldn't think any different of it.

They have different facial constructions and colouring, as a rule. You'd find much more light brown as opposed to black hair in England, far more brown eyes as opposed to light eyes, larger eyes and larger noses but smaller/thinner mouths and they are quite lanky. Irish are quite dark (or ginger), are more likely to have light eyes than dark, are a bit smaller of stature though quite stocky, and more easily compare to the Scottish than the English, though the Scottish tend to be a bit.. "hardier" looking.

Also, the Irish have that weird pairing of black hair and freckles that I've never really seen anywhere else.

Obviously there's exceptions to every rule, but by "breed type" there are major differences, and I could tell the difference if you dropped me in either country, muted everyone, and took away all location indicators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They have different facial constructions and colouring, as a rule. You'd find much more light brown as opposed to black hair in England, far more brown eyes as opposed to light eyes, larger eyes and larger noses but smaller/thinner mouths and they are quite lanky. Irish are quite dark (or ginger), are more likely to have light eyes than dark, are a bit smaller of stature though quite stocky, and more easily compare to the Scottish than the English, though the Scottish tend to be a bit.. "hardier" looking.

Also, the Irish have that weird pairing of black hair and freckles that I've never really seen anywhere else.

Obviously there's exceptions to every rule, but by "breed type" there are major differences, and I could tell the difference if you dropped me in either country, muted everyone, and took away all location indicators.

To add to this, The English tend to carry themselves differently as well. Good posture in alot of them.

The Scots tend to hunch their shoulders.

Itish people are most relaxed about their stance!

hmmm ok I would like to see if you can spot the nationalities maybe if I sent u a picture or something, I'm not doubting you I just find this interesting!

The Scots tend to hunch their shoulders.

You CANNOT be serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

jenm8909 wrote: »
    Im an irish girl,

At the same time, after living away for nearly 7 years, and living with other nationalities. I have come back and been almost shocked by how alot of irish girls carry on.

Can you elaborate? Do you think they're stuck up or too laddish or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭gavney

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I

I think that both Irish men and Irish women are at fault where the whole "national dislike of each other" stereotype is concerned. Irish women occasionally do, when out in a group, have an attack-is-the-best-form-of-defence rule of thumb, they're abrasive and could do with chilling out and going with the flow - but they're also entitled to go out together for an uninterrupted night of fun. Irish men are no angels either. I had someone kick me in the ass this weekend for turning his friend down. Sure, he did it as a "joke", but I don't see that I was obliged to do anything more than say no, I'm not interested, but thanks. That SHOULD be adequate - but it's usually not. Lots of women I know pretend to have boyfriends or girlfriends just to avoid unwanted attention - I've done it myself. It's not done out of rudeness, rather people want to have their own night out and don't see why someone they don't know should be allowed to assume an obligation of them where none exists. We're all to blame, in different circumstances.

Well put!

hmmm ok I would like to see if you can spot the nationalities maybe if I sent u a picture or something, I'm not doubting you I just find this interesting!

Go for it, but keep in mind, I'm talking about people of full blood heritage, it's hard to place people who've had "mixed blood," like someone Irish who was with someone Scandinavian or whatever-- it'd be hard to pin. But, say, if you got a picture of a Murphy who's been a Murphy for the last 800 years, they're damn well going to look breed-standard Irish.. same as if you got a Cook who's been a Cook for the last 800 years, they're damn well going to look breed-standard English, you know?

So as long as it's a couple generations' worth of being Irish/English, it really wouldn't be hard to tell the difference.

Go for it, but keep in mind, I'm talking about people of full blood heritage, it's hard to place people who've had "mixed blood," like someone Irish who was with someone Scandinavian or whatever-- it'd be hard to pin. But, say, if you got a picture of a Murphy who's been a Murphy for the last 800 years, they're damn well going to look breed-standard Irish.. same as if you got a Cook who's been a Cook for the last 800 years, they're damn well going to look breed-standard English, you know?

So as long as it's a couple generations' worth of being Irish/English, it really wouldn't be hard to tell the difference.
    I'm a mixed blood Murphy from England that has had all range of places pinned on me 0_0 Are you talking about me?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

I find that coming home from holiday, you can stand in any departure hall in Europe and you'll know the queue that's waiting for the flight to Dublin. You know the Irish head when you see it abroad. Although it might have as much to do with the amount of lardasses (male and female) that are waiting in line. And the way they dress

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    I'm a mixed blood Murphy from England that has had all range of places pinned on me 0_0 Are you talking about me?

...methinks you missed my point entirely. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Interesting post.

I remember a few years ago when the Veronica Guerin film came out, I was watching Cate Blanchett being interviewed. She says when you have a particular type of accent, your face changes to accomodate the words (or something to that extent)
    She said something about changing the shape of her mouth because of the way we pronounce our vowels.

Cate

Cate as Veronica

I wonder if this has any truth in it? Do we have a certain 'look' from how we talk (along with other factors)

I think we also have thick eyebrows. The whole dark hair thing may be from our closeness to Spain.

WindSock wrote: »
    I think we also have thick eyebrows. The whole dark hair thing may be from our closeness to Spain.

We're close to Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

We're close to Spain?

Well yeah, from a coastal trading point of view. I'm sure those salty Spanish sea dogs left more than a few shipwrecks off the west coast ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well yeah, from a coastal trading point of view. I'm sure those salty Spanish sea dogs left more than a few shipwrecks off the west coast ;)
    Yes and when their own ships were sinking they paddled ashore at Kinsale and decided to settle there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I'm sure those salty Spanish sea dogs left more than a few shipwrecks off the west coast ;)

That's it there....we're a nation of shipwrecks. Case closed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

My own take on this subject is that the young ones of today(16-23 yo) are by far better looking and sexier than the equivalent back 10 years ago and girls above this age bracket. Call it better breeding, more money to spend on appearance, whatever but it is a FACT. It is the majority consensus of all lads of my age bracket. I am 30 by the way. There is simply no Irish women of my own age that are single that I can ever remember meeting who I would find attractive, and without wanting to blow my own trumpet I get plenty of offers. Most of these women have not looked after themselves as well as they could have and allied to the natural aging process where us men decline much better than you women this is the result of that.

Sadly most of these hot youngs do display some of the less desirable personality characteristics discussed on some of the posts here, more so in fairness than their older conterparts who are nicer and much more approachable. How much this is to do with the tick tock tick tock clock is another story.

donster79 wrote: »
    My own take on this subject is that the young ones of today(16-23 yo) are by far better looking and sexier than the equivalent back 10 years ago and girls above this age bracket. Call it better breeding, more money to spend on appearance, whatever but it is a FACT. It is the majority consensus of all lads of my age bracket. I am 30 by the way. There is simply no Irish women of my own age that are single that I can ever remember meeting who I would find attractive, and without wanting to blow my own trumpet I get plenty of offers. Most of these women have not looked after themselves as well as they could have and allied to the natural aging process where us men decline much better than you women this is the result of that.

Sadly most of these hot youngs do display some of the less desirable personality characteristics discussed on some of the posts here, more so in fairness than their older conterparts who are nicer and much more approachable. How much this is to do with the tick tock tick tock clock is another story.

You poor thing....you really are in a bind aren't you :(

Just because you're single doesn't mean you're a failure though (whatever nay-sayers may spout), keep the chin up :)

Warfi wrote: »
    You poor thing....you really are in a bind aren't you :(

Just because you're single doesn't mean you're a failure though (whatever nay-sayers may spout), keep the chin up :)

Hit a bit of a nerve there did I??:D:D

Hit a bit of a nerve there did I??:D:D

Just reading between the lines my dear man ;)

You'll get there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I don't necessarily think that's fair. There's an automatic assumption that when a woman reaches a certain point in her life she wants to settle down and have children, but I hardly think 30 is the upper limit of the female "sell by date" these days. I'm in my mid 20s, and while I would like to have a child, or if I'm lucky, children at some stage (I don't think I'd consider my life complete otherwise, but that's a personal opinion) I definitely don't see it being something I'll worry about for a good 10 years.

There's an automatic assumption that when a woman reaches a certain point in her life she wants to settle down and have children... I don't think I'd consider my life complete otherwise...

Ok my assumptions were correct then!
    Anyway you should try NOT to have kids. They're really bad for the environment.

Warfi wrote: »
    Just reading between the lines my dear man ;)

You'll get there :)

So I def hit a nerve then!!!:D:):D:D

How old are ya???

How old are ya???

Listen buddy, I'm too good for ya :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ok my assumptions were correct then!
    Anyway you should try NOT to have kids. They're really bad for the environment.

Yup, you were right. So right that I'm on my way out for an environmentally friendly hysterectomy when I've finished on boards.

I'd bow down to you, but the chain keeping me tied to the kitchen sink is too short, please forgive me.

Yup, you were right. So right that I'm on my way out for an environmentally friendly hysterectomy when I've finished on boards

Thank you, you're making a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

This whole thread is just 36 pages , and counting, of thinly veiled racism. Welcome to AH:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its such a load of s**t, if there is an AH in China there is probably a similar thread on 'Why do Chinese men find Chinese women so unattractive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Lux23 wrote: »
    Its such a load of s**t, if there is an AH in China there is probably a similar thread on 'Why do Chinese men find Chinese women so unattractive?

So what if there is :confused:

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    So what if there is :confused:

Just that its an grass is always greener and a complete waste of time discussing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Has it already been mentioned that Irish men are probably repelled on a genetic level, since we're all pretty much brother and sister in this gene-puddle of a country? Women, too!

Just that its an grass is always greener and a complete waste of time discussing it.

So it fits in perfectly with the rest of AH then :rolleyes: ..rant about christmas ads, oral sex habits of bats....etc etc

beans wrote: »
    Has it already been mentioned that Irish men are probably repelled on a genetic level, since we're all pretty much brother and sister in this gene-puddle of a country? Women, too!

Well at least cousins. I am so glad my mother married a man with the foreign drop or else I would be one of these ugly, fat alcoholic irish women that are so prevalent*.

*Joke

Ok Prinz whatever.

Well at least cousins. I am so glad my mother married a man with the foreign drop or else I would be one of these ugly, fat alcoholic irish women that are so prevalent.

Or you could be one of the average to great looking women with terrible manners a bad personality and a needless superiority issue. It's not all about looks, there's more to attraction than that.

Or you could be one of the average to great looking women with terrible manners a bad personality and a needless superiority issue. It's not all about looks, there's more to attraction than that.

Oh Prinz we all know its looks that win in the end, who needs manners and grace when you have a rack that will awaken the dead.

• Advertisement

This is After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

beans wrote: »

There's more genetic variation in an average colony of 30 chimps than in the entire Human race so its not just the Irish who have Bruncles.

Oh Prinz we all know its looks that win in the end, who needs manners and grace when you have a rack that will awaken the dead.

...and this is the attitude I dislike in (many) Irish women*

Applies equally to many Irish fellas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Holmer wrote: »
    I find that coming home from holiday, you can stand in any departure hall in Europe and you'll know the queue that's waiting for the flight to Dublin. You know the Irish head when you see it abroad. Although it might have as much to do with the amount of lardasses (male and female) that are waiting in line. And the way they dress
    Well I wouldnt say lardarses or be that cruel, but yes you can generally spot the irish line at the airport. It has come in handy at some of the bigger ones. An ex of mine from other shores was uncannily good at it.
    We're close to Spain?
    As windsock says trade route wise we are. Way back in the day its been like this. and we have a fair bit of tooing and frooing back and forth from the north of spain. Many ancient writers thought the same. Julius Caesar in his writings on the celtic campaigns mentions Ireland as being off the coast of spain. Indeed some evidence exists that we the Irish can trace our closest genetic relatives from 10,000 years ago to north spain.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

...and this is the attitude I dislike in (many) Irish women*

Applies equally to many Irish fellas.

A sense of humour is also an attractive trait don't you think?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement