Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Lux23 wrote: »
    A sense of humour is also an attractive trait don't you think?

Was that meant to be funny? Can't really tell unless you include :rolleyes: this boyo. My apologies. But you did hit the nail on the head there it's exactly what I've been saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

prinz wrote: »
    Was that meant to be funny? Can't really tell unless you include :rolleyes: this boyo. My apologies. But you did hit the nail on the head there it's exactly what I've been saying.

But who would say that seriously? How could you think that was a serious comment?

But who would say that seriously? How could you think that was a serious comment?

Judging from what I see on the average night out I think a lot of Irish women think exactly that tbh. A belt/skirt and a dash of fake tan seems to equate to a license to act/do/say whatever the hell they please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I've only ever really encountered this negative attitude towards Irish women here on boards tbh. Most Irish men I know in real life love Irish women.

The stuck up/god's gift/queue jumping type exists everywhere, it's not exclusive to Irish women at all - in fact the two worst offenders I've come across for this in Ireland were foreign - one Spanish, one Polish. None of the Irish women I know would be like this at all.

I think though that the Irish as a nation lack self confidence, both men and women, and a lot of them don't know what to do with their sexiness which can result in both the male phenomenon of getting too drunk for the dutch courage and using messy and awkward chat ups - and the female response of not knowing how to handle an approach by someone who fancies them and it coming off as stuck up or aloof.... I dunno just my take on it.

I will say this though - the foreign men who have chatted me up over the years do use a different approach - more along the lines of a compliment or
    coming straight out to say they like you, instead of something like 'nice tits' or 'I definately would' that I've had off Irish guys. I still prefer Irish guys though :)

(I don't get the fake tan thing though it has to be said.... it just looks too obvious on our Irish skin. I leave my skin pale and almost every day I have one female friend or another ask me would I not go for a spray tan :eek:)

Good post.

Judging from what I see on the average night out I think a lot of Irish women think exactly that tbh. A belt/skirt and a dash of fake tan seems to equate to a license to act/do/say whatever the hell they please.

Prinz, you usually speak such sense so I´m shocked reading your posts to be honest. Such hyprocricy. A proportion Irish men are just as much a disgrace on your average Saturday night as women and you´re clearly choosing to turn a blind eye to it and only see what you want to see. Wake up man! A lot of Irish men act like complete and utter tosspots nationwide in Ireland at the weekend..puking on the street, starting fights with bouncers, starting fights with each other, groping women´s backsides, falling around unable to walk, abusing passers by...I´ve never come across that kind of behaviour any where else except maybe East London. If you believe that all Irish men behave with dignity and finesse on a Saturday night, then you´re either blind, lead a very sheltered life and never go out weekends, conveniently choosing to ignore the obvious or choosing to ignore it in your posts to strengthen your argument. Was watching the game (Ireland)the other night in a pub in here Spain...Ireland V France in a French pub...the pub was full of French, me and 4 lads from Ireland (I wasn´t with them but spoke to them during the game....they couldn´t string two words together)...France won the game, Irish lads started on a group of French lads....I was bloody mortified.

These are not the majority but if you think Irish men are in a position to make the kinds of comments on this thread without it being a pot calling the kettle black scenario, then your argument is seriously, seriously flawed and you have no legs to stand on, frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

liah wrote: »
    I'm expecting an awful lot of Mary Harney jokes in this thread, but I have a question.

Liah I'm so sorry we all seem to have missed this part of your post. I'll start the ball rolling with the biggest joke of all - Mary Harney is our health minister and Tainiste despite having no mandate after her party was annihilated in the last election.:eek::D:p
    Holmer wrote: »
    I find that coming home from holiday, you can stand in any departure hall in Europe and you'll know the queue that's waiting for the flight to Dublin. You know the Irish head when you see it abroad. Although it might have as much to do with the amount of lardasses (male and female) that are waiting in line. And the way they dress

Absolutely - I also find it easy to spot Irish when abroad like randomly on the street. As other mentioned before I think this is to do with posture. There's definitely an Irish posture. Comes from generations of oppression (British/Religious/whatever), getting rained on and getting whacked on the arse by teachers with canes. Rain and opression/depression causing the hunched shoulders and whacks on the arse causing the imploded arse with secondary sagging :D:P I'm applying this to both genders by the way!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    This whole thread is just 36 pages , and counting, of thinly veiled racism. Welcome to AH:)
    Its mostly Irish people talking about other Irish people so I don't see how you can call tha racism
    Oh Prinz we all know its looks that win in the end, who needs manners and grace when you have a rack that will awaken the dead.

Ever hear of gravity ? Think if you've spent years relying on the rack that once things start heading south you're gonna just magically develop a personality ???:p

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Prinz, you usually speak such sense so I´m shocked reading your posts to be honest. Such hyprocricy. .

In fairness he says Irish people in general are just a bad lot so he wouldn't disagree with you there.

@Opinion guy ever heard off plastic surgery? ;)

A lot of Irish men act like complete and utter tosspots nationwide in Ireland at the weekend..puking on the street, starting fights with bouncers, starting fights with each other, groping women´s backsides, falling around unable to walk, abusing passers by...I´ve never come across that kind of behaviour any where else except maybe East London.

You apparently missed my post from earlier:
    You haven't been out in a while have you ? Thats how the girls are actin these days. Last time I was out some random Irish girl picked a fight with my friends GF - I mean physically tried to pick a fight (my mates mental Irish girlfriend was too drunk to really notice thou so nothing came of it - thank god). The same fighty girl then proceeded to try and chat me up 15 mins later seemingly having forgotten trying to pick the fight (the magical powers of alcohol). When I pretty much blanked her she somehow thought it was ok to grab my ass. Actually, not ok.
    I have NEVER seen a foreign girl acting like this (Hmmm ok outside of UK Temple Bar stag parties that is).

:D

In fairness he says Irish people in general are just a bad lot so he wouldn't disagree with you there.

@Opinion guy ever heard off plastic surgery? ;)

Oh. OKay, Didn´t read all the posts. Okay...I direct the post at everyone else who´s knocking JUST Irish women.

You apparently missed my post from earlier:

But the post wasn´t directed at you??? :confused:

I´m saying Irish men are no better end of. A man starting a fight is no more acceptable than a woman doing the same. It´s unacceptable behaviour all round.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise I'd intruded into your pm discussion. mmmm no wait i'm fairly sure this is a public discussion board :p

your post just mirrored mine so much it seemd apt to point it out to you

hmmm maybe go read the thread...

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realise I'd intruded into your pm discussion. mmmm no wait i'm fairly sure this is a public discussion board :p

your post just mirrored mine so much it seemd apt to point it out to you

hmmm maybe go read the thread...

Not saying that....if you´re saying girls start fights, then I won´t disagree with you, I see it all the time and it´s disgusting. Unless you´re saying Irish women´s behaviour is worse than Irish mens, then I´m not going to argue with you. You don´t need to point anything out to me....I have a grand, big pair of eyes stuck to my face, thanks....but some people on this thread choose not to utilise them.

All 37 pages of this crap? I have things to do, man and I´ve heard it before.

Edit: I´m a tired and cranky and need to vent my spleen somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To go back to the alcohol thing, actually that's something I find really unattractive - in both men and women.

I was talking to an absolutely lovely guy this weekend - he seemed genuinely nice, chatty and fun, in his late 20s - but he proceeded to get absolutely ossified. We were all in a big group, so there was always somebody on the dance floor, but he wouldn't go near it until he was nearly falling over. I had a few drinks myself and was mellow but not tipsy, and spent most of my time out dancing. I genuinely don't get the extreme lack of confidence we have as a nation. I used to avoid dancing completely because I was so self conscious, but jaysus, on a night out you can't really have the craic without a bit of bopping! It definitely shouldn't be something you have to be locked to contemplate.

We just don't love ourselves for what we are, we're always looking over our shoulders thinking the better looking people are judging us. In truth, the "better looking people" are just as p!ssed in an attempt to hide their own insecurities. It shocks me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

You haven't been out in a while have you ? Thats how the girls are actin these days. Last time I was out some random Irish girl picked a fight with my friends GF - I mean physically tried to pick a fight (my mates mental Irish girlfriend was too drunk to really notice thou so nothing came of it - thank god). The same fighty girl then proceeded to try and chat me up 15 mins later seemingly having forgotten trying to pick the fight (the magical powers of alcohol). When I pretty much blanked her she somehow thought it was ok to grab my ass. Actually, not ok.
    I have NEVER seen a foreign girl acting like this (Hmmm ok outside of UK Temple Bar stag parties that is).

but that's just it you see. irish girls have no interest in nice guys. they treat the nice guys like sh*t, so the nice guys go find themselvs nice foreign girls instead. the foreign ladies tend to appreciate a nice guy more

Anyhow - I do think the Irish girl bashing has gotten a bit excessive on this thread.

I never said there isnt any who do things like that had Irish girls try to start fights with me before,but thats because those ones are lunatics.
    I was out with my Bf in Germany in a club and there was girls trying to grab his Privates and banging into me and when i would go to bathroom would come over and try it on with him :(And was not just a random night was alot of them. So as usual not exclusive to Irish women either.

Same as Irish Guys seem to pass over the nice girls and have no interest in them and treat them like shiat.Its same on both sides.;)
    Difference i choose to see the good ones that are around in Ireland and that is a hell of alot more than the ones people are describing all over this thread.And every one of the other countries have their ones to.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d-cmGNiISo french women fighting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9gq3SsnNw8&feature=related dont know where this one is.

How lady like please there is women all over world who are rude drunk and unlady like.

And many more from all over world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Prinz, you usually speak such sense so I´m shocked reading your posts to be honest. Such hyprocricy. A proportion Irish men are just as much a disgrace on your average Saturday night as women and you´re clearly choosing to turn a blind eye to it and only see what you want to see. Wake up man! A lot of Irish men act like complete and utter tosspots nationwide in Ireland at the weekend..puking on the street, starting fights with bouncers, starting fights with each other, groping women´s backsides, falling around unable to walk, abusing passers by...I´ve never come across that kind of behaviour any where else except maybe East London. If you believe that all Irish men behave with dignity and finesse on a Saturday night, then you´re either blind, lead a very sheltered life and never go out weekends, conveniently choosing to ignore the obvious or choosing to ignore it in your posts to strengthen your argument. Was watching the game (Ireland)the other night in a pub in here Spain...Ireland V France in a French pub...the pub was full of French, me and 4 lads from Ireland (I wasn´t with them but spoke to them during the game....they couldn´t string two words together)...France won the game, Irish lads started on a group of French lads....I was bloody mortified.

These are not the majority but if you think Irish men are in a position to make the kinds of comments on this thread without it being a pot calling the kettle black scenario, then your argument is seriously, seriously flawed and you have no legs to stand on, frankly.

+1

Unless you´re saying Irish women´s behaviour is worse than Irish mens, then I´m not going to argue with you. You don´t need to point anything out to me....I have a grand, big pair of eyes stuck to my face, thanks....but some people on this thread choose not to utilise them.

All 37 pages of this crap? I have things to do, man and I´ve heard it before.

Edit: I´m a tired and cranky and need to vent my spleen somewhere...

See if you'd utilised those big eyes of yours to read the thread, you'd see on most every post I'd made on this thread I'd said it applies to the guys too. And you wouldn't have taken what prinz said out of context also. So maybe if you have things to do don't waste your time reading the last few posts and chipping in out of context ? Seems you could use the time better

shqipshume wrote: »
    Difference i choose to see the good ones that are around in Ireland and that is a hell of alot more than then the ones people are describing all over this thread.

Really thou ? Are there? If so, where do they hang out ?Cause what the men on here are saying is that that hasn't been their experience.

See if you'd utilised those big eyes of yours to read the thread, you'd see on most every post I'd made on this thread I'd said it applies to the guys too. And you wouldn't have taken what prinz said out of context also. So maybe if you have things to do don't waste your time reading the last few posts and chipping in out of context ? Seems you could use the time better

Really thou ? Are there? If so, where do they hang out ?Cause what the men on here are saying is that that hasn't been their experience.

That's not true OG have a read through the thread alot of men are saying Irish women are fine and that they have seen bad behaviour in other countries too. You want Eve to read the whole thread so maybe you should go through it too.

Also on the girls fighting thing, recently I have started on by two girls both of who were not Irish so my experience is completely different to you. Also the only time I can think when another woman blatently came on to my boyfriend (At the time) was when we were in holidays in Prague and it was local women. Now I am sure plenty of Irish women do these things but it hasn't been my experience just as your experience has been the opposite doesn't make it the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Holmer wrote: »
    I find that coming home from holiday, you can stand in any departure hall in Europe and you'll know the queue that's waiting for the flight to Dublin. You know the Irish head when you see it abroad. Although it might have as much to do with the amount of lardasses (male and female) that are waiting in line. And the way they dress

Not hard to miss. I also recognise other Paddies by the way they stand. They are also generally younger than everyone else. In a big enough group. Wearing tracksuits and Celtic tops (fairly easy to spot) white as snow or red as lobsters or a bit of both. Generally smallish and a bit stocky. Shaved heads, some have acne, they are generally in good spirits. The women will have died blonde hair with dark roots. Or dark hair and a ging load of fake tan. Again, smaller and stockier than others. Some may have a bit of a face on them but if you bump into them or something, they will apologise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

WindSock wrote: »
    Not hard to miss. I also recognise other Paddies by the way they stand. They are also generally younger than everyone else. In a big enough group. Wearing tracksuits and Celtic tops (fairly easy to spot) white as snow or red as lobsters or a bit of both. Generally smallish and a bit stocky. Shaved heads, some have acne, they are generally in good spirits. The women will have died blonde hair with dark roots. Or dark hair and a ging load of fake tan. Again, smaller and stockier than others. Some may have a bit of a face on them but if you bump into them or something, they will apologise :pac:

I really hope this Isn't how everyone else sees all Irish people.

Not all Irish people are stocky, pale or red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

WindSock wrote: »
    Not hard to miss. I also recognise other Paddies by the way they stand. They are also generally younger than everyone else. In a big enough group. Wearing tracksuits and Celtic tops (fairly easy to spot) white as snow or red as lobsters or a bit of both. Generally smallish and a bit stocky. Shaved heads, some have acne, they are generally in good spirits. :pac:
    You've described me to a tee,there.
    Uncanny.

That's not true OG have a read through the thread alot of men are saying Irish women are fine and that they have seen bad behaviour in other countries too. You want Eve to read the whole thread so maybe you should go through it too.

Also on the girls fighting thing, recently I have started on by two girls both of who were not Irish so my experience is completely different to you. Also the only time I can think when another woman blatently came on to my boyfriend (At the time) was when we were in holidays in Prague and it was local women. Now I am sure plenty of Irish women do these things but it hasn't been my experience just as your experience has been the opposite doesn't make it the rule.

Ok look obviously as I said earlier I'm generalising. Of course you get fighty chicks everywhere. But in most other countries apart from ireland and the uk girls getting drunk and leery on a weekend would not be considered normal like it is here (oh and Essex in particular specifically Dukes nightclub in chelmsford. Anyone know it ? Jesus Christ the girls there are actually scary - as in hang around in asbo-gangs and look like they might turn on anyone at anytime....much like the guys... but it's really such a special special place - don't go if you are not prepared to be shocked:eek:. its kind of like being David Attenborough observing the mating rituals in a strange new creature or something). I can also say - I've noticed here that from the mids 90's to the mid-noughties the attitude of irish women changed. now some of that is good and liberating etc etc - but seems like its gone too far and some girls now try to out lad the lads. And ironically enough the lads have gone the other way to some degree. back in the mid 90's the people i knew going out and pulling randoms and then boasting about it were lads, now its mostly girls i here doing this whilst lads don't seem to be into it so much. so oddly enough just as girls don't like a man who is to feminine in outlook and attitude, guys don't like girls who act too masculine either.

but if you bump into them or something, they will apologise

OH GOD I forgot about this. The passive aggressive fake apology. That uniquely Irish habit. I HATE this. I mean I do it myself but I even hate myself a little bit for it - its just too deeply ingrained in me I guess. Classic example of Irish saying things indireclty. so indirectly in fact that we use the word sorry in the precise opposite way its defined. arhghghghg headmelt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

The answer lies within the question.

Prinz, you usually speak such sense so I´m shocked reading your posts to be honest. Such hyprocricy.......

Absolutely. Start a thread about Irish men and I'd be happy to contribute. However, the negative attitude (unfriendly, immediately defensive bordering on aggressive, unmannerly etc) is something that is relatively new in Irish women and is deeply (to me anyway) unattractive. Personally I hadn't actually noticed a lot of it until my OH started pointing things out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Absolutely. Start a thread about Irish men and I'd be happy to contribute. However, the negative attitude (unfriendly, immediately defensive bordering on aggressive, unmannerly etc) is something that is relatively new in Irish women and is deeply (to me anyway) unattractive.

Would you see it as some bizarre side effect of the "entitlement" and "confidence" as defined in the Celtic Tiger legacy? It probably manifests itself across certain age groups and that's how it manifests itself in a certain bracket of young women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Alot of teenage girls in this country are either overweight or ugly.

All the potentially good looking ones are fat and all the ones that are in shape look like arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Even Kyle Reese in The Terminator found Irish women unattractive:
    .....The 600 series had rubber skin. Men spotted them easy. But these are new.....Sweat, bad breath, everything.....I had to wait 'till she put on her fake tan before I could zero her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Liah I'm so sorry we all seem to have missed this part of your post. I'll start the ball rolling with the biggest joke of all - Mary Harney is our health minister and Tainiste despite having no mandate after her party was annihilated in the last election.:eek::D:p

Absolutely - I also find it easy to spot Irish when abroad like randomly on the street. As other mentioned before I think this is to do with posture. There's definitely an Irish posture. Comes from generations of oppression (British/Religious/whatever), getting rained on and getting whacked on the arse by teachers with canes. Rain and opression/depression causing the hunched shoulders and whacks on the arse causing the imploded arse with secondary sagging :D:P I'm applying this to both genders by the way!

Its mostly Irish people talking about other Irish people so I don't see how you can call tha racism

Ever hear of gravity ? Think if you've spent years relying on the rack that once things start heading south you're gonna just magically develop a personality ???:p

Generalisations and derogatory remarks about a nation and comparisons with others to illustrate "percieved" advantages. You can be racist towards your own people and there's such a thing as positive racism too.

BTW, i love the rest of your post:)

Absolutely. Start a thread about Irish men and I'd be happy to contribute. However, the negative attitude (unfriendly, immediately defensive bordering on aggressive, unmannerly etc) is something that is relatively new in Irish women and is deeply (to me anyway) unattractive. Personally I hadn't actually noticed a lot of it until my OH started pointing things out.

Talk to any of the older generation, or watch some reeling in the years type stuff.
    And you'll hear similar complaints.

We are individuals, we shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush because we share the same island and bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Fake tan. Very unattractive.

Well I like many other girls enjoy pampering myself once a week getting a tan so screw you and all the men that thanked the above post if you look at me with disgust maybe try talking to me and realising i'm nice then wait til you see you'll be booking me in!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

Warfi wrote: »
    Listen buddy, I'm too good for ya :D:p

Not a very good comeback.

At all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

Irish wimmins make the rocking world go 'round.

The Few.
    The Proud.
    The Gaelic Gals.

Teutorix wrote: »
    Alot of teenage girls in this country are either overweight or ugly.

All the potentially good looking ones are fat and all the ones that are in shape look like arse.

People like you should be lined up and shot :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

There are some very good looking Irish girls. Also, some not so good looking Irish girls. Having travelled quite a lot though I will say that in my opinion, we have a higher proportion of mingers than a lot of places.

I'd also be inclined to go along with the view that certain Irish women seem to have attitude issues, this is not necessarily the good looking ones either! Obviously this doesn't apply to all Irish girls, in fact I'd say it applies to a minority, but it certainly seems more obvious than in other countries I've been to.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    People like you should be lined up and shot :mad:
    i said alot of them... jeez :( (try taking a walk down a street in any town and count the obese teenage girls, fun game)

Teutorix wrote: »
    i said alot of them... jeez :( (try taking a walk down a street in any town and count the obese teenage girls, fun game)

Likewise with men. This thread is so sexist

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Likewise with men. This thread is so sexist
    its way more common with girls as males tend to play more sports, etc.

Not being sexist, im actually no athlete myself to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

donster79 wrote: »
    Not a very good comeback.

At all.

I beg to differ.

must've hit a raw nerve :D

As I said before, where do you come into this?? If you say it applies to guys too, then were on the same page. I¨m not arguing with YOU (as I already said), I´m arguing with those who say the problem with Irish drinking culture and acting the gob****e and our problem with our weight and fitness is solely a female issue. If you don´t agree with this, then why are you getting offended and ansty about what I say? What´s the story with the sarcasm??? I apologised to Prinz! Chill out!

This thread has been done a million times and it´s completely retarded. It´s 37 pages of mainly hateful tripe that´s just nasty and uncalled for and I´m sick to the teeth of reading this ****e repeatedly. I´ve had a long day at work and I don´t want to read this when I come home.

On a whole, the Irish as nation are a hell of a lot friendlier and open than a lotEuropean nations I´ve encountered....but we have a serious drinking problem, male and female. Why always focus on the negative?? Seriously...it´s absolutely retarded (sorry, don´t frequent AH much so I guess I´m missing the point).

our problem with our weight and fitness is solely a female issue.
    that'snot what i said, i said it was more prevalent in girls (in the teen years) Which is quite true because even in my school there are very few males that could be called fat / obese but there are quite a few girls that could be described as "large"

I would think that in the adult population weight is probably as big or bigger a problem with men.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its defo both genders. It's not just here either. I mean while the Spanish as adults appear to be smaller, they now have the highest obesity rate among kids.

I think a lot of it is cultural. While the Irish have made a huge contribution on the world stage, little of it has been in the visual arena. Our style, appreciation and taste for want of a better word in that area aren't as developed as in many other cultures. Add that we have been a fairly poor country until relatively recently and you can see how style for both genders has been put on the back burner.

Then there's our diet and its history. We have no real Irish cuisine(and no, coddle doesnt quite cut it). Hell we're an island surrounded by sea yet we eat the least amount of fish when compared to our european neighbours(the UK isnt far behind). Irony aint in it. Though I blame the church for that one in a strange way. Fish was eaten on fridays as a penance and I think some of that has filtered down to today.

So as we have no culture of food, we have tended to go for the more stodgy stuff as meat and two veg of our grandparents doesnt quite cut it anymore(though our grandparents were far thinner so its not our DNA), so maybe that's where the comfort food vibe comes from? With the add on of our not quite hot, not quite cold kinda meh climate. :confused:

Then add as a few others like Panda100 mentioned our daily exercise/sport facilities or deplorable lack of them and you can see a general pattern. Yes there are facilities but they're aimed at those who have a specific need for them, rather than everyone or mostly everyone. The gym is seen as something to specifically do as opposed to something that's part and parcel of most peoples lives. Then again look at the cost of them. Then our public transport is shíte, our cycling infrastructure is shíte so many just drive everywhere.

TBH I can see why many Irish people don't look as fit and healthy as they might be and deserve to be. Hey I count myself in that group too. I may be skinny, but I'm sure as hell not healthy. I'm just skinny because I eat feck all. There are many many so called "fat" people who are far far healthier than me. What I have noted though as cos Im skinny when overseas and those timeshare chancers or tourist shop owners try to get my attention, I have never had one kick off in English, always another language(swedish for some mad reason??? or french??). Once in the Canaries with an Irish woman mate of mine who is equally scrawny, I actually had two guys say to us, "Irish? no?, you dont look Irish" When pressed they both said "oh the irish are usually plumper". Have heard the same in Greece, France, Italy and Spain.

I would have said though that the germans, the british and the southern French are just as stocky as us TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LEONKING

anyone been to a gym lately, if so you will see that the best looking and fittest women in there are not irish.

was talking to a polish girl recently and she basically said that if they don't look after themselves then the men won't be interested in them. not like in ireland that we will go home with anything after we have had a few drinks.

throw in pasty skin and the fact that they have absolutely ****e dress sense and the irish women are in general brutal.

the truth hurtss

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea and Irish men are to write home about? Chunky with dubious dress sense. EG no man over 30 and defo anyway chunky should wear those long shorts and sandals. It's wrong. It doesn't look cool. You don't look look hip. Just stop. You nonce. Though I have gathered Irish men are well endowed as far as reports go, so hey we're doin alright. Plus Irish women are much better endowed and shaped in the bewb dept. So munters we may all be but bigger wilies and bewbs make up for it. That and the ability to crack up laughing when both are first brought out on display in the bedroom. Result. Take that you stylish Parisiens with your flat chest and tiny manhoods. Overcompensation I say :p:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Meh, my pale skin suits me - I'd look utterly ludicrous with fake tan on, and all I can muster when it's sunny is a bit of a "glow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, my pale skin suits me - I'd look utterly ludicrous with fake tan on, and all I can muster when it's sunny is a bit of a "glow".

Glowing red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

LEONKING wrote: »
    anyone been to a gym lately, if so you will see that the best looking and fittest women in there are not irish.

was talking to a polish girl recently and she basically said that if they don't look after themselves then the men won't be interested in them. not like in ireland that we will go home with anything after we have had a few drinks.

throw in pasty skin and the fact that they have absolutely ****e dress sense and the irish women are in general brutal.

the truth hurtss

Hmmm and did she not tell you that most of them are here without a men? :rolleyes: Truly where I work there are so many Polish good looking girls but they are still looking for men :rolleyes: paradox

Sorry for off-topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

Warfi wrote: »
    I beg to differ.

must've hit a raw nerve :D

Bit of a bore arent ya Warfi...

ZZZZZZ.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

donster79 wrote: »
    Bit of a bore arent ya Warfi...

ZZZZZZ.....

Less of that, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Eh? Since when did Irish men not like Irish girls? No one ever told me? :eek:

• Wibbs wrote: »
    Though I have gathered Irish men are well endowed as far as reports go, so hey we're doin alright.

Not from what I've seen :(
    Plus Irish women are much better endowed and shaped in the bewb dept.

Well, perhaps that has to do with being chubby (not being bitchy but it's true!) :confused: Boobs are mostly fat. Yes there are some size 8 girls with huge jugs but not too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

[quote=[Deleted User];63080014]Well, perhaps that has to do with being chubby (not being bitchy but it's true!) :confused: Boobs are mostly fat. Yes there are some size 8 girls with huge jugs but not too many.[/QUOTE]

Very true, when my weight goes up or down my boob size follows accordingly.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement