Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Well, I can say that it 1000 times worse now than ever.

In the mid 90's I feel with the whole 'girl power' vibe that came along, women have just becoming ruder and ruder.

You can't turn on a TV ad these days without seeing some guy being the butt of a joke. Advertisers relaise that is what women want and they sell it too them in spades.

Soaps are the same. I am sick and tired of seeing violence towards men being a joke. A women kneeing a man in his testicles will often be followed by cheering and laughing.

You may say 'it's just a soap' but ut reflects society as a whole.

Girl power,that was a myth.The only girl power that went on was in England but they have always been rather loud(not all)

Ads with guys as butt end of jokes? How is that Irish womens fault?

Wow seriously you really over seeing that i dont know any women who would think that is comedy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Also, I think .. the only women who know what it is like to be a man are overweight women. Over the years I have noticed that in society they get treated the same as men.

I have seen guys let women past in a bar and an overweight girl with get blanked. Same with doors I have noticed the odd time but still men are in general just far far more considerate when it comes to things like doors and driving.

Although, in saying that - an overweight girl will still get ten guys chasing her at 1am :D

shqipshume wrote: »
    Girl power,that was a myth.The only girl power that went on was in England but they have always been rather loud(not all)

A myth? You think the whole 'Women are more independant these days' is a myth?

Come on. More women went to work in the last 20 years than ever before and so their disposable income wnet through the roof. This was mistaken for more power and hence we had Destiny's Child signing a load of crap and then girls went and believed them.

End result - rude women.
    Ads with guys as butt end of jokes? How is that Irish womens fault?

Oh, it's not your fault - it's just feeding you what you want to consume.
    Wow seriously you really over seeing that i dont know any women who would think that is comedy :confused:

Oh come on. When women see a male character in something like Coronation St get a knee in the balls they laugh. Guy's getting slapped in the face is a regular occurance on TV.

You just don't notice it as it's not important to you maybe. I notice as female violence towards men in the media has been something that has bugged me for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

No I answered you pages back. Funny how you're avoiding my answer :rolleyes:

Yes I was wondering this myself. 'Self hating Irish' perhaps ?

+1. Definitely a race. Highest rates of several genetic diseases worldwide including CF, haemochromatosis and several others. Makes us genetically distinct from other Europeans including the English.

Some of the guys and gals are petty bitching here you care correct. I'm sorry others are trying to give considered answers. Whether you like to hear it or not there are some genuine reasons behind this. If you want to go jumping into gender roles then fine go for it and ignore the legitimate things being said.

Yeah this cuts both ways too as I've gotten this from girls who were interested until they asked me was I Canadian and I said no I'm irish. they then almost immediately turned their backs on me. To be honest I had a good laugh at their pettyness. (Incidentally I could just as easily have lied thru my teeth if I were the typical Irish man-bastard shqipshume thinks us all to be)

Eve_Dublin I also want to say I was unduly cranky with you before so I apologise

No problemo.

Eve_Dublin I also want to say I was unduly cranky with you before so I apologise
    Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    No problemo.

Get a room :rolleyes:

:D

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I can see why many Irish people don't look as fit and healthy as they might be and deserve to be. Hey I count myself in that group too. I may be skinny, but I'm sure as hell not healthy. I'm just skinny because I eat feck all. There are many many so called "fat" people who are far far healthier than me. What I have noted though as cos Im skinny when overseas and those timeshare chancers or tourist shop owners try to get my attention, I have never had one kick off in English, always another language(swedish for some mad reason??? or french??). Once in the Canaries with an Irish woman mate of mine who is equally scrawny, I actually had two guys say to us, "Irish? no?, you dont look Irish" When pressed they both said "oh the irish are usually plumper". Have heard the same in Greece, France, Italy and Spain.QUOTE]

This is true Wibbs. Skinny does not necessarily equal healthy. Just a few little anecdotes.

My housemate is a Spanish guy, very slim, good-looking...but I came home last night and found 20 empty crisp packets on the couch...that was his dinner and there was also an ashtray with about 30 fag butts stubbed out. Every morning I find the remanants of his so-called dinner..empty packets of processed chorizo slices, those Ramen instant noodles, more crisps...the fridge is taken up with my food....I am bigger than him. I´m not overweight but I´m definitely larger and taller than him. Most night I eat two portions of veg, a piece of fish, a bit of rice or a spud. I eat healthy and I´m most definitely healthier than him. I never eat burgers, chips or crap food and I eat at least 6 or 7 portions of fruit and veg a day...but I´m bigger than most girls here. I walk absolutely everywhere but I´ve no time for much else. I do try and jog at weekends if I´m not too knackered.

The Spanish smoke like troopers...no other nation smokes as much in Europe...but they´re slim. Smoking reduces your hunger. Do the maths. Not saying this applies to the majority but using cigarettes as a diet aid is common.

I lived with a polish couple for 2 years in London. The girl was absolutely obsessed with her weight and was miserable over it. For her dinner every night she had a can of beer heated up on the oven hob and some sausage....and that´s it. When I was going through a bad period on my life (broken heart), I lost a shed load of weight and she consoled me by saying "well, at least you´ve lost lost of weight!". I hadn´t eaten in about 3 weeks. She was a lovely girl but for her, it was of the utmost importance to maintain her weight and sacrificed her happiness and food as a result. She looked fantastic...but she was hungry and miserable.

I´ve a few more examples and i´m not b*tching and saying that foreigners eat unhealthily but there is a misconception that slimness equates to healthiness. I lived in Argentina....women AND men are stunninginly gorgeous, slim etc...but Argentina has the highest rate of Anorexia in both sexes after the States...women in their teens and twenties and men over 40.

What is the ideal weight? It´s getting smaller and smaller as the years pass. You see some chicks from the continent who are so small that they must eat vitually nothing to maintain this size. Gym membership in Spain is the most expensive in Europe, so I´m guessing women have to maintain their weight in other ways if they can´t afford it. Don´t be fooled people.

No doubt about it, we have an obesity problem in Ireland. I don´t believe the problem is with the traditional Irish dinner of 2 veg (good for you) and meat (good for you also in small quantities). I grew up on that stuff...my whole family did and we were all skinny. We had no dessert and there were never any biccies in the house. It wasn´t because my mother was super-health concious before her time, it because my parents were too skint to splurge on this ****. It´s junk food pure and simple. The problem started in Britain and as we know, all bad things that begin there, end up in Ireland before you know it.

It´s happening in Spain right now. The children are larger than their parents. I´m seeing the exact same thing as I see in Ireland....kids sitting on buses with a can of coke in one hand a packet of crisps in another and their bellies spilling over their little legs. Very sad. These kids will grow up exactly like their equivalents in Ireland.

The point I´m trying to make is I´d rather date a guy who eats his healthy three meals a day, is perhaps larger than your average continental man but is healthier because he´s eaten something of substance, doesn´t smoke like chimney because I don´t want to bury him before he´s 50 and isn´t obsessed by physical appearance. There´s more to life than that and there´s nothing more boring than someone drowning on about their weight.

Don´t be so shallow and fall for the aesthetics. Being slim means feck all if your rotting on the inside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

prinz wrote: »
    Ask anyone who deals with the public regularly. I have, and by far the worst offenders for being curt, impolite, rude, loud, unmannerly etc are Irish females from about 15 - 30. For things such as skipping a queue, no hello, no goodbye, no please, no thank you etc, for complaining over nothing looking to see a manager and try to get freebies etc, to insulting staff. I have heard it from bar staff, mobile phone shop staff, airport staff.. male and female. They have told me that the majority of troublesome and obnoxious customers are young Irish women.

I would partially agree with you and have heard same many times from bth genders too. The word you hear repeated a lot is harsh. That said one on one among my customer base and in biz dealings I prefer to deal with women. Always have. They are far better, less moany customers than men(who are mostly convinced they know more than me and it becomes a píssing contest) so with "strangers" as it were I would agree with you, but when engaging directly and building a one to one relationship I would prefer women over men.

I would say when the dating game comes into it though, your angle is more prevalent sad to say.
    Your right though and I would put the age group at 20 to 40. I find girls younger than 20 are generally nice and women over 40 become polite.
    I would broadly agree.
    My theory on this is that when most women hit 40 there looks alone no longer open doors for them. They find that the things that seem to come so easy to them when younger no longer do.
    And for a lot of that reason too. Obviously as a general thing. This is very evident with women who stand out as being a "cut above" the rest. I would say that happens in all cultures, but here it does seem more prevalent. I have found beautiful women from overseas are still going to be a yes or no thing freindliness wise, but it's more 50/50 not 90/10 like here. There does seem to be an sense of entitlement that's stronger here(among men too but it comes out differently).
    Like Billy Connolly says 'The queen thinks the world smells of fresh paint".
    True it is down to perception alright.
    Everyday, I let people out of sideroads, I hold open doors when I feel it approperiate, I'll step off a footpath or adjust my way of walking or the speed I'm walking at if it is helpful for someone that is in my way or me in theirs.

Now, I can hand on heart say, that 99% of guys will say 'Cheers mate' or 'Nice one' or 'Thanks' or give me a 'nod' in the case of driving or flash their hazzrads.

However, Women will just walk through a door I hold open like I'm a f**king bellboy or their personal butler. On footpaths they don't move an inch to accomodate you while your walking sideways trying not to step in front of traffic.

While driving, when you let them out they do the same thing and act like it was their devine right to be let out. Don't get me started on women walking holding umbrellas.
    Again I would have to admit broadly true, though I would say it's more 60/40 myself. Maybe that's my perception skewing things though as I may be putting out a different vibe in the first place.
    Women in society really do need to take a long hard look at themselves and realize that they are of no more importance than a man. When we are walking and driving, where we are going is just as important to us as where you are going is important to you and some manners in society wouldn't go amiss.
    Maybe the men are equally to blame if this is the case though? If women are acting like this, why? No one acts like a dick for long if they dont get away with it. Who is enabling this behaviour if it exists? I would say many men do. I've seen it too. I've seen a woman come out with stuff with (younger)men and at men that I simply wouldn't stand for. I would ignore her or politely ask her to leave the group. In fact if I havent said something it was usually another woman who told her to cop on. For some reaosn there are an awful lot of spineless men out there when it comes to women. They may be bang on in other arenas but not there. Thats the biggest change Ive seen in 20 years. Not so much the women, more the men. If you treat someone like a superior rare creature, dont be too shocked if that person acts that out. My humble anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Don´t be so shallow and fall for the aesthetics. Being slim means feck all if your rotting on the inside.

Well said.

The past few years nearly all the people I have known that died of cancer or heart attacks were slim.

I was very ill for years and had to eat well just to get from day to day and had people talk at me and say things like 'Jasus, I eat Mars Bars for breakfast and live on junk and not a bother on me".

Two people in particular said that to me and on my life they both died this year from cancer in their 30's. Know a few people in their 40's who got heart attacks also and they were like rakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Great points Eve_Dublin and I agree with the angle on the Spanish. They do tend to smoke like troopers(like the greeks, french and the italians to a lesser extent). Their diet is very variable. Few eat a meditereanian diet. There portions tend to be less though. Their kids are now the fattest in europe too. as for gym membership costs, it sooo depends on where you are. The gym prices I saw in Madrid were far lower than here. Less than half the price(unless there's been a big change in 4 years of course). Plus they also have many many more free or damn near free public amenities than we do here. In madrid I can go swimming, play tennis, badminton etc and it would cost me nada. Try that here.

As far as obsession with weight. Yes that can be the case, but equally that can often be a cop out too. Like was said before "oh would you want to be with someone who is hungry all the time?" That notion is upheld about women more so than men. Women will say "oh look at her she must starve herself". You wont hear men say that about other skinny men. The fact is a lot of people just dont eat as much or have as much of an appetite as others. I know a fair few thin women. Most just have small appetites. Like the men.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

This is true Wibbs. Skinny does not necessarily equal healthy. Just a few little anecdotes.

I lived with a polish couple for 2 years in London. The girl was absolutely obsessed with her weight and was miserable over it. For her dinner every night she had a can of beer heated up on the oven hob and some sausage....and that´s it. When I was going through a bad period on my life (broken heart), I lost a shed load of weight and she consoled me by saying "well, at least you´ve lost lost of weight!". I hadn´t eaten in about 3 weeks. She was a lovely girl but for her, it was of the utmost importance to maintain her weight and sacrificed her happiness and food as a result. She looked fantastic...but she was hungry and miserable.

Bizarre that you said this. I thought about this earlier in the thread when Irish women were bein slagged off for their weight and It made me think of my mates girlfriend. Shes Polish too and very skinny. Any time we're all together she refuses to eat complaining that If she does she'll get fat. She is very strict on herself.....I'm fairly sure she drives him nuts complaining about her weight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

Not every girl is like this but the vast majority of Irish girls are. They are spoiled for a choice and boy do they know it.

LMAO!!! Eh did you hit your head very hard when you were trying to get bk to hear Outlaw Pete??

Spoiled for choice?? I bloody wish!

Maybe the men are equally to blame if this is the case though?

Equally to blame? If you notice above a poster asked me how is that's women's fault and I said it wasn't and never went any further with it.

I shall now.

I think this is 100% mens fault. 100%!!

Your teach people how they should treat you and as a society we have allowed women to treat men (and other women to some extent) like crap.

Men would simply now get away with how a woman behaves in society. If we walked through a door and just rolled our eyes at another guy we'd most likely get a box in the mouth.

I posted this before but I remember my Dad noticing girls being cheekt and rude to men years ago and he said to a mate of mine that he shouldn't let his girlfriend speak to him like that. He started telling us that if you allow woman to treat you like that one day they'll well just be walking on men.
    If women are acting like this, why? No one acts like a dick for long if they dont get away with it. Who is enabling this behaviour if it exists? I would say many men do. I've seen it too. I've seen a woman come out with stuff with (younger)men and at men that I simply wouldn't stand for. I would ignore her or politely ask her to leave the group. In fact if I havent said something it was usually another woman who told her to cop on. For some reaosn there are an awful lot of spineless men out there when it comes to women. They may be bang on in other arenas but not there. Thats the biggest change Ive seen in 20 years. Not so much the women, more the men. If you treat someone like a superior rare creature, dont be too shocked if that person acts that out. My humble anyway.

Couldn't argree more and I applaud you for having the bottle to say it. Be warned though. Right now there is a big oppurtunity for someone to slap you down on this thread and in so doing, impress the female Boardsies which brings me to another point.

You said "for some reason" but we both know the reason. The reason is sex. Men want pu**y and woman have pu**y and that in a nut shell is why make take the crap in society that they do.

There is no other reason that men have for being spineless, that I can see at least.

I was watching a docu there last week about nightclubs in 50's London and the difference is crazy. Maybe society has to swing this way to compensate for how far the other way it was as women were like dolls and daren't look at another guy or they would be dragged home and most likely get a beating.

So maybe men being secondclass citzens in this day and age is just a transitional period that the western world must go through in order to get some sort of fair balance bewteen the sexes.

foodie66 wrote: »
    hit your head very hard when you were trying to get bk to hear Outlaw Pete??
    Spoiled for choice?? I bloody wish!

Stalker!! :D

Of course women are spoiled for choice. If you come out with me tonight I can get you 50 guys that will shag you! Easy!

Now I know what you'll say -- "Yeah, drunken fools who want one thing".

And yes, they may very well be but seriously show me one guy who can 50 girls to shag him tonight.

You ARE spolied for choice. That's not an opinion - that's an observational fact.

As far as obsession with weight. Yes that can be the case, but equally that can often be a cop out too. Like was said before "oh would you want to be with someone who is hungry all the time?" That notion is upheld about women more so than men. Women will say "oh look at her she must starve herself". You wont hear men say that about other skinny men. The fact is a lot of people just dont eat as much or have as much of an appetite as others. I know a fair few thin women. Most just have small appetites. Like the men.

I really don´t want to come across as the girl knocking women for being slim but I´m simply explaining my observations of this country. The women here are gorgeous...FAR more good-looking than their male conterparts (lots of men here are fat and you don´t see as many fat chicks) I´m not overweight but I would definitely be larger than most girls here..but I´m still quite healthy. I live in Madrid and live close by to a gym and you see people constantly going in and out...lots of women here are slim but also toned...the women over 22 definitely take better care of themselves than most Irish women I know...but the amount of people outside this gym smoking is shocking. The smoking culture here is disgusting..and I´m a (trying to quit at the moment) smoker and I´M even disgusted. Smoking booths in the baggage collection area, smoking sections in offices, smoking in pubs and bars, smoking in office receptions, smoking staff in banks and the metro....it´s completely acceptable to be a heavy smoker here regardless of your sex..it´s almost expected that you ARE a smoker. That ain´t good. I don´t know if it´s worse eating a diet of chips and burgers almost every night of the week or smoking 20 fags a day and more at weekends.

The point I´m trying to make Wibbs is that I´ve lived with lots of girls (Irish, chinese, polish, spanish, British-Indian, American) and I´ve seen some very unusal eating habits. Being slim doesn´t necessarily mean you´re taking care of yourself. You still need your balanced diet, no matter how small the portions are, to stay healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Get a room :rolleyes:

Typical Irish male....reading into things that aren't there:rolleyes:
    <opinion guy makes one of his trademark side switches in attempt to play up to female readers :P>
    For her dinner every night she had a can of beer heated up on the oven hob and some sausage....and that´s it.

:eek: Christ. Thats revolting.

Of course women are spoiled for choice. If you come out with me tonight I can get you 50 guys that will shag you! Easy!

And yes, they may very well be but seriously show me one guy who can 50 girls to shag him tonight.

You ARE spolied for choice. That's not an opinion - that's an observational fact.

Hmmm no. I know guys who could have a choice of 50 women in a night if they wanted. But thats mainly down to having both looks and personality

Also, I think .. the only women who know what it is like to be a man are overweight women. Over the years I have noticed that in society they get treated the same as men.

I have seen guys let women past in a bar and an overweight girl with get blanked. Same with doors I have noticed the odd time but still men are in general just far far more considerate when it comes to things like doors and driving.

Although, in saying that - an overweight girl will still get ten guys chasing her at 1am :D

Trust me gentlemen are few and far between these days. I said it earlier on this thread that Ive had to haul a suitcase back and forth on a bus from Cork for a yrs while in college and have been helped once in those three years by a non irish guy so don't try and make out that irish fella's are all polite and helpful!!

Are there girls with a chip on their shoulders?? Sure! Generally girls with too much to drink or who are waiting for a Brad Pitt lookalike. I dislike those girls immensely. Are we all like that? No! I am not rude to guys who come up to me, ill chat to them or whatever but if im not interested and its pretty clear from the lack of flirting its up to the guy to accept that... not keep going to the extent where they are annoying me or feeling me up/making crass comments. Alcohol doesn't help fella's to know when a girl isn't interested either and why guys get so drunk when they are trying to score escapes me... its not attractive!! I know it takes guts to open yourself up to rejection but i know for a fact that most guys would get a lot further if they were more on the sober side!

Hmmm no. I know guys who could have a choice of 50 women in a night if they wanted. But thats mainly down to having both looks and personality

There's always someone who comes on to support the ladies :p

Collin Farrell couldn't get 50 chicks in a night. 50 cock teases maybe.

Their kids are now the fattest in europe too. as for gym membership costs, it sooo depends on where you are. The gym prices I saw in Madrid were far lower than here. Less than half the price(unless there's been a big change in 4 years of course). Plus they also have many many more free or damn near free public amenities than we do here. In madrid I can go swimming, play tennis, badminton etc and it would cost me nada. Try that here.

Prices have definitely gone up considerably in the past few years from what I´m told. I´ve been told gym prices are the most expensive in Spain by those in the know. And don´t forget this country is in recession BIG style. 20% unemployment and rising. I checked out the prices in my local gym the other day (even though it´s not my thing and realistically, if I become bored of something quickly, I won´t stick with it) and I can´t afford to join and this is one of those chain supposedly cheap gyms. Anyway, the gym is not for most people. People have great intentions but they´ve also got the longest working hours in Europe and if I had to work from 8am in the morning to 8pm at night, I´d be in no state to spend my free time in the gym

What´s my point? Sorry...forgotten....diigressing big time.

• Advertisement

He really could. He really, really could. Some men just have it. Colin Farrell has it and he´s IRISH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Damn right he could. I've seen first hand the effect that lad has on women. Trust me mate, he could get alot more than 50.

don't try and make out that irish fella's are all polite and helpful!!

Irish men are gentlemen for the best part. Have an English girlriend of my gf's staying with us right now and she's yapping away about friendly and polite Irish Men are and she's right.

I love Irish men so much I wish I were gay!
    Ive had to haul a suitcase back and forth on a bus from Cork for a yrs while in college and have been helped once in those three years

I would put any amount of money that you didn't get help because you were giving off the 'stay the f**k away from me attitude'.

Guys do not know where we stand these days. You could offer help and be told to f**k off, or worse. On the Luas I offered a woman my seat one day and she ignored me and turned around and another women right in front of her said "Keep you seat, you'll get no thanks these days love".
    Are there girls with a chip on their shoulders?? Sure! Generally girls with too much to drink or who are waiting for a Brad Pitt lookalike. I dislike those girls immensely. Are we all like that? No!

I never said 'All Irish girls' .. I said generally and I have a gf who's not and as I said she has some friends who are like her and some who are not.
    I am not rude to guys who come up to me, ill chat to them or whatever but if im not interested and its pretty clear from the lack of flirting its up to the guy to accept that...

Good, nice to hear .. both sexes should have the same level of respect for each other.
    not keep going to the exten
    t where they are annoying me or feeling me up/making crass comments.

I would never excuse that. You'll always get cu*ts.

Alcohol doesn't help fella's to know when a girl isn't interested either and why guys get so drunk when they are trying to score escapes me... its not attractive!! I know it takes guts to open yourself up to rejection

Well, your a rarity of you care.
    but i know for a fact that most guys would get a lot further if they were more on the sober side!

Start chatting to a girl without alcohol :eek:

:D

Damn right he could. I've seen first hand the effect that lad has on women. Trust me mate, he could get alot more than 50.

How many would he get of he wasn't Colin Farrell?
    Some men just have it. Colin Farrell has it and he´s IRISH.

Yeah, money & fame .. if he was Tom Ryan from Drumcondra there is no way he'd get that level of girls.

Come on. Girls go for status.

I love how the percentage of men who think Irish women are hideous are going up and down every few minutes. .10% more Irish men think were a hideous bunch of decrepates than about 7 minutes ago....or are we getting more hideous by the minute? I´ll check back on the stats in about 7 hours time after the men of Ireland get paralytic and wake up in beds all over the nation beside one of us hideous beasts with heads like chewed chewing gum. Doesn´t matter what you say people and how repulsive you find us, things will carry on as they always have.

Yeah, money & fame .. if he was Tom Ryan from Drumcondra there is no way he'd get that level of girls.

Haha. Rubbish. The man is a RIDE pure and simple. Stop being so jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Some girls go for status.
    Colin Farrell is a good looking guy. He would get women famous or not just like a few lads I know. I'd say their on par with him looks wise and they have girls fighting for them so I think Tom Ryan would still be in with a chance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

I've read most of the thread but not all so here's my contribution:

Irish girls are NOT 'so unattractive' - there are unattractive ones yes, just like there are in in race/country. Do not be fooled into thinking otherwise, as it doesn't make any sense.

Regarding the whole size issue - if smaller sizes are the only thing that contribute to a woman being 'attractive' then perhaps some people believe particular races are more attractive than others. Again, size/body type alone can not be used to determine 'attractiveness', as I am a bigger lady and have never been short of male attention [and I'm not conceited, I have generally lowish self confidence but feel it's time for the truth!]

Also, I'm a size 16, and never usually have problems getting this size - often it's the sizes 8 - 12 that are gone. Thinking of all the women I know; friends, family, people I work with, I would say the majority of them are a size 10 or less. My housemates are both size 8. At work, only one other lady would be a similar size to me - the rest, much smaller. So the comment that Irish women are so much fatter, is ridiculous. I think maybe when SOME women hit 30, 40 and 50, THEN there are more 'bigger' sized ladies about [14 - 16].

Fact: Overweight women aren't totally unheard of in Poland.

Women are made THINK that men find skimpy clothing SEXY and ATTRACTIVE - this is to be blamed on the media - magazines, pop 'stars' like Girls Aloud or Britney Spears, and I suppose the fantasy land of high shoes and stockings. Women are tricked into thinking men like this. But wait no, men DO like this. I never dressed like this in public as I don't have the body for it, but women who DO dress like this get much more male attention - clearly not off the pure male Boardies though it seems. Check out any of the forums where ladies post up pictures - the ones with a bit of boob on show or sexy outfits are the ones that get all the 'thanks' and appreciation! It's the exact same on a night out. Many women dress on a night out for male attention.

Finally, some men prefer curves. Some don't. Some men prefer foreign looking women, some don't. My friend got loads of attention in Poland and Croatia for having red hair, men here would rather chop their toes off with a rusty saw than go out with a 'ginger', some men like brunettes, some prefer blondes. It's all personal taste and preferences, and I'm sick of Irish men slagging off Irish women.. Ever hear of respect for others' opinions???

TBH I can see why many Irish people don't look as fit and healthy as they might be and deserve to be. Hey I count myself in that group too. I may be skinny, but I'm sure as hell not healthy. I'm just skinny because I eat feck all. There are many many so called "fat" people who are far far healthier than me. What I have noted though as cos Im skinny when overseas and those timeshare chancers or tourist shop owners try to get my attention, I have never had one kick off in English, always another language(swedish for some mad reason??? or french??). Once in the Canaries with an Irish woman mate of mine who is equally scrawny, I actually had two guys say to us, "Irish? no?, you dont look Irish" When pressed they both said "oh the irish are usually plumper". Have heard the same in Greece, France, Italy and Spain.QUOTE]

My housemate is a Spanish guy, very slim, good-looking...but I came home last night and found 20 empty crisp packets on the couch...that was his dinner and there was also an ashtray with about 30 fag butts stubbed out. Every morning I find the remanants of his so-called dinner..empty packets of processed chorizo slices, those Ramen instant noodles, more crisps...the fridge is taken up with my food....I am bigger than him. I´m not overweight but I´m definitely larger and taller than him. Most night I eat two portions of veg, a piece of fish, a bit of rice or a spud. I eat healthy and I´m most definitely healthier than him. I never eat burgers, chips or crap food and I eat at least 6 or 7 portions of fruit and veg a day...but I´m bigger than most girls here. I walk absolutely everywhere but I´ve no time for much else. I do try and jog at weekends if I´m not too knackered.

The Spanish smoke like troopers...no other nation smokes as much in Europe...but they´re slim. Smoking reduces your hunger. Do the maths. Not saying this applies to the majority but using cigarettes as a diet aid is common.

I´ve a few more examples and i´m not b*tching and saying that foreigners eat unhealthily but there is a misconception that slimness equates to healthiness. I lived in Argentina....women AND men are stunninginly gorgeous, slim etc...but Argentina has the highest rate of Anorexia in both sexes after the States...women in their teens and twenties and men over 40.

What is the ideal weight? It´s getting smaller and smaller as the years pass. You see some chicks from the continent who are so small that they must eat vitually nothing to maintain this size. Gym membership in Spain is the most expensive in Europe, so I´m guessing women have to maintain their weight in other ways if they can´t afford it. Don´t be fooled people.

No doubt about it, we have an obesity problem in Ireland. I don´t believe the problem is with the traditional Irish dinner of 2 veg (good for you) and meat (good for you also in small quantities). I grew up on that stuff...my whole family did and we were all skinny. We had no dessert and there were never any biccies in the house. It wasn´t because my mother was super-health concious before her time, it because my parents were too skint to splurge on this ****. It´s junk food pure and simple. The problem started in Britain and as we know, all bad things that begin there, end up in Ireland before you know it.

It´s happening in Spain right now. The children are larger than their parents. I´m seeing the exact same thing as I see in Ireland....kids sitting on buses with a can of coke in one hand a packet of crisps in another and their bellies spilling over their little legs. Very sad. These kids will grow up exactly like their equivalents in Ireland.

The point I´m trying to make is I´d rather date a guy who eats his healthy three meals a day, is perhaps larger than your average continental man but is healthier because he´s eaten something of substance, doesn´t smoke like chimney because I don´t want to bury him before he´s 50 and isn´t obsessed by physical appearance. There´s more to life than that and there´s nothing more boring than someone drowning on about their weight.

Well said! Im 5'7 and luckily slim even though i do have a sweet tooth. But if i was to start putting weight on there's no way id resort to starving myself or taking laxatives (like a friend of mine who's metabolism is now shot to hell and she is v overweight). People should eat healthily and move more and be sensible about it. Striving to look like a supermodel can only lead to bad things! Most of them are naturally beanpoles or they are taking hunger repressents!

Haha. Rubbish. The man is a RIDE pure and simple. Stop being so jealous.

I'm jealous of his money but trust me, my comments about him not getting as many girls if he wasn't famous is a simple fact.

I could name another 100 men who women go weak and the knees for and if they weren't famous women wouldn't f**king look twice at them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Colin farrell is an unattractive Irish woman now?

/shrugs.

Good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

I'm jealous of his money but trust me, my comments about him not getting as many girls if he wasn't famous is a simple fact.

I could name another 100 men who women go weak and the knees for and if they weren't famous women wouldn't f**king look twice at them.
    Never took to George Clooney or Colin Farrell or any of those 'rides' really. Give me any one of the Irish rugby team......actually, just Tommy Bowe will do! :)

Colin farrell is an unattractive Irish woman now?

/shrugs.

Good.

Jasus, sure we went off-topic ages ago, we thought you were gone out for the night :p

*Moves the sofa back to where it was and tops the Vodka bottle back up with water.

Yeah thats the difference in men and women. A lot of women are not into one night stands with random people and there's also an increased awareness of going home with strange men ... generally not a good idea! Women just want to be romanced before getting into the sack, men just want to hit the sack... thats a generalised view of course. And by romance i don't mean wined and dined and treated like a queen, i mean actually getting to know a guy and having them respect you... most guys couldn't give a ****e about any of that as long as they sealed the deal! FACT! If that makes you think we are above everyone well then yeah i must be one of those women with a chip on her shoulder you talk about! Proud of it!!

Yeah thats the difference in men and women. A lot of women are not into one night stands with random people and there's also an increased awareness of going home with strange men ... generally not a good idea! Women just want to be romanced before getting into the sack, men just want to hit the sack... thats a generalised view of course. And by romance i don't mean wined and dined and treated like a queen, i mean actually getting to know a guy and having them respect you... most guys couldn't give a ****e about any of that as long as they sealed the deal!

If you read my post above I said that most women think that men are only out for one thing. If women actually gave guys a chance they might be surprised. Guys do have emotions too you know. We too are capable of love and affection.
    FACT! If that makes you think we are above everyone well then yeah i must be one of those women with a chip on her shoulder you talk about! Proud of it!!

No, your tilting what I said.

I didn't say that majority of Irish girls were stuck up for not wanting 'one night stands' and it's disingenuous of you to imply that I said as much.

What I said was that the way women treat men and respond to them by abusing them and insulting them makes them stuck up. They take male attention for granted and it is this which has given Irish women the bad name of having a 'chip on their shoulder'. I woud call it more a case of being spoiled as I have already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Its because half the girls in ireland have boys haircuts and look butch these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

In fairness, a lot of Irish girls have what me and my mates have dubbed the "Irish arse", which is usually a fairly wide set of hips, but looking side on it's flat as fook, have to say, as a bloke, it's incredibly dissapointing, you can meet an amazingly good looking girl, and then she has an ass like a fookin ski slope! :(

But the thing is, most Irish girls are without a doubt, the most beautiful girls I've seen, but the whole ass thing is in furiating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

its not an unattractive thing, for the most part they are bloody gorgeous, its just that they eat too much, drink too much, and talk too much. Just go out on the town any weekend and watch them behave like lads, shouting and roaring, puking and fighting in the streets, fukin sickening.

FunnyStuff wrote: »
    its not an unattractive thing, for the most part they are bloody gorgeous, its just that they eat too much, drink too much, and talk too much. Just go out on the town any weekend and watch them behave like lads, shouting and roaring, puking and fighting in the streets, fukin sickening.

Right... and its so attractive for girls to watch lads being like that!! So hot!!

Works both ways sunshine!! :cool:

You ARE spoiled for choice.
    That's not an opinion - that's an observational fact.
    Yeah thats the difference in men and women. A lot of women are not into one night stands with random people and there's also an increased awareness of going home with strange men ... generally not a good idea! Women just want to be romanced before getting into the sack, men just want to hit the sack... thats a generalised view of course. And by romance i don't mean wined and dined and treated like a queen, i mean actually getting to know a guy and having them respect you... most guys couldn't give a ****e about any of that as long as they sealed the deal!
    No, your tilting what I said.

I didn't say that majority of Irish girls were stuck up for not wanting 'one night stands' and it's disingenuous of you to imply that I said as much.

What I said was that the way women treat men and respond to them by abusing them and insulting them makes them stuck up. They take male attention for granted and it is this which has given Irish women the bad name of having a 'chip on their shoulder'. I woud call it more a case of being spoiled as I have already said.
    My point is that its that its a lot easier for men to opt for a one night stand than most women, in that regard men have more choice!
    If women actually gave guys a chance they might be surprised. Guys do have emotions too you know. We too are capable of love and affection.
    And i know guys have feelings etc too :rolleyes: But from a woman's perspective most guys coming up to you on a night out are p!ssed so its not as clearcut as 'giving them a chance' . Its trying to understand a word they are saying!! If guys didnt get so bladdered you wouldn't see half as many girls with 'chips on their shoulders' Drunk isn't attractive... so sober up boys!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

"We don't!!" :)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

My point is that its that its a lot easier for men to opt for a one night stand than most women, in that regard men have more choice!

Let me get this right.

Your saying that men have more choice on a night out cause men can opt for a one-night-stand? What??
    But from a woman's perspective most guys coming up to you on a night out are p!ssed so its not as clearcut as 'giving them a chance' . Its trying to understand a word they are saying!! If guys didnt get so bladdered you wouldn't see half as many girls with 'chips on their shoulders' Drunk isn't attractive... so sober up boys!!!

Sober up? Then what are they doing in a nightclub at 2am then? Looking for sober men??? :rolleyes:

Let me get this right.

Your saying that men have more choice on a night out cause men can opt for a one-night-stand? What??

A lot of girls are not into one night stands!! Especially past a certain age and especially with strangers. A LOT of men would jump at the chance!! And they don't have to worry that the person they get lucky with is going to turn out to be a rapist! ... You may laugh but it would be a very stupid girl who went home with a stranger they just met an hour earlier. And like it or not that kind of thing goes thru a lot of girl's mind when she meets a guy in a nightclub! Men don't have the same worry so can therefore pick and choose who they wan to approach. If a girl wants a one night stand (and wants to be sure they're safe) they probably have to go with a friend with benefits thing. Therefore men HAVE MORE CHOICE!!!

Sober up? Then what are they doing in a nightclub at 2am then? Looking for sober men??? :rolleyes:

There'sa difference between having a few drinks and being incoherant/crosseyed/a plain annoying git!!!

A lot of girls are not into one night stands!! Especially past a certain age and especially with strangers. A LOT of men would jump at the chance!!

Who's talking about one night stands?

My comments were about how women dismiss guys and are rude to them in clubs. Guys who are not drunk by the way.
    Men don't have the same worry so can therefore pick and choose who they want to approach.

So men have more choice as women are afraid they will be raped. You say that as if you almost believe it yourself.

Most women out tonight will have got lots of male attention while most men won't. They are the facts and you can spin this into a 'women are afriad of men' debate if you want but it is just farcsical at best.
    Therefore men HAVE MORE CHOICE!!!

If you say so ..

There'sa difference between having a few drinks and being incoherant/crosseyed/a plain annoying git!!!

Who said there wasn't? Have you ever heard men talk about women they way just have regarding attention of the opposite sex.

If a guy said he was at a nightclub last night and I just couldn't meet a girl as they were all incoherant/crosseyed/ annoying bitches! who were just looking for sex ..

You'd laugh your ass off at them and tell them they were an obnoxious jerk and maybe they should have just tried chatting with one of these girls instead of assuming what they wanted.

Who's talking about one night stands?

My comments were about how women dismiss guys and are rude to them in clubs. Guys who are not drunk by the way.

So men have more choice as women are afraid they will be raped. You say that as if you almost believe it yourself.

Most women out tonight will have got lots of male attention while most men won't. They are the facts and you can spin this into a 'women are afriad of men' debate if you want but it is just farcsical at best.

If you say so ..

Who said there wasn't? Have you ever heard men talk about women they way just have regarding attention of the opposite sex.

If a guy said he was at a nightclub last night and I just couldn't meet a girl as they were all incoherant/crosseyed/ annoying bitches! who were just looking for sex ..

You'd laugh your ass off at them and tell them they were an obnoxious jerk and maybe they should have just tried chatting with one of these girls instead of assuming what they wanted.

You ARE spoiled for choice.
    That's not an opinion - that's an observational fact

LOL, Uh you brought up one night stands!!!

Anyway some ppl like to sleep around here so... night night

LOL, Uh you brought up one night stands!!!

Anyway some ppl like to sleep around here so... night night

I never said you only had to sleep with the 50 guys once did I?? I was thinking more of a polygamy ranch we could set up .. like the one on Oprah :D

nite nite ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I've really only seen this among Irish women in Ireland, for some reason Irish women abroad don't act in the same way. So maybe it's something to do with the atmosphere that exists over here in pubs/clubs. I've just come back from Australia, and found there to be a much more friendly and relaxed atmosphere when going out there when compared to Ireland. And Irish people in general seem a lot happier/friendlier/more relaxed when abroad. Which is probably why we have a reputation for being friendly, as I don't see it in Ireland.

But anyway, I've seen some appalling behaviour from Irish women over here, and at the end of the day it costs nothing to be nice.

zootroid wrote: »
    I've really only seen this among Irish women in Ireland, for some reason Irish women abroad don't act in the same way. So maybe it's something to do with the atmosphere that exists over here in pubs/clubs.

I've noticed that too. I pulled a girl in on holidays two years back that I wouldn't have a hope with back home. 10/10 she was.

Maybe it's that there are sooo many men chasing girls in Ireland that a lot of c**k blocking goes on and they respond to that?
    zootroid wrote: »
    But anyway, I've seen some appalling behaviour from Irish women over here, and at the end of the day it costs nothing to be nice.

Exactly and if 10% or so of girls are lovely the why can't the rest be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Women.

Oooooooooooooooooh! Tough thing for me to try and explain.

The amount of women I have invested into doing the whole "talk to her" or "in a relationship" thing has destroyed my confidence in trusting women.

I'm nowhere near bad with connecting with women but I ain't no Casanova or have chisled looks, I just look average.

I have met some fantastic sound women in my time but in general I find that their personalities destroy everything they imagine themselves / like others to see.

And women can be cruel, cruel beings. More so than lads (Yea, we have our bad moments but we're on about women here for now) Not so much what happened to me or my friends but what I hear / see from other people I know.

Honestly, though as I'm trying to think of a story after drinking all night I'm just gonna conclude that my experiences from women have left me with an incredibly low opinion of them in general. On face-value I will treat you as much I treat everyone else and give you plenty of time, I'm just far more weary and untrusting of you. *curls up in shower crying while cutting myself*

Seriously though, things that haunt my mind is when I see girls spread rumours about a fella they like that "he raped me" / "he beat me up" is sick, sick shìt. It's not clever, and it's one of the lowest forms of attention.

Cutting or threatning to kill yourself for attention (yes, even a lad's) is the lowest form and one I'm so sick of women telling me (As in I'm the neutral guy that these things can be told to)

Still waiting on that girl to change my perspective, I know they exist somewhere but.................

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Still waiting on that girl to change my perspective, I know they exist somewhere but.................

That's the spirit.

I was at the Hothouse Flowers last night at the Academy and it was full of single hot girls after Liam O'Manonlai don't ya know. But should I be single anytime soon and I'm going back to one of their gigs :)

I agree though, Men are far nicer and much much more trustworthy than women in general. Much more straightforward also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Girl-friends seem a lot more bitcher about each other rather than lads. If you spread a bad rumour about a lad mate for something small / insignificant you'd have the head battered off ya and you be banished / become less trustworthy.

Bah, that's my input on this thread before the liberals come and call me a sexist pig.

Speaking of which:

Why do women wear white when they get married?

It's because ALL domestic appliances come in white!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement