Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Eh, yes it was. Try triple checking.

Then ..

And then ..

Now are you going tell me that Foodie66 didn't make the same mistake as I did and read the above as 'ejaculation'?

Strange how you have a '66' in your username also and you picked 'this' post on the thread from last night out of all the others .. hhhhmmmmmmm.

Bye now .. :)

You were the one that brought it back up not me :)

Quite the conspiracy theorist aren't you.

66? :rolleyes:
    foodie66 wrote: »
    And i didnt get it wrong, i meant it in that context YOU took it up wrong!! :pac:

Seeing as they said it then yeah i believe it.

You seem to have a problem with being wrong! Typical Irishman :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

there is an undeniably high level of friction between the sexes in this country,

There is a TV show tonight on RTE at 9.30pm called Battle Of The Sexes, should be good for a laugh.
    So, your thoughts?

Maybe you could start a thread called 'Battle Of The Sexes - TV Show - Discussion' for perople to post on as they watch it or afterwards.

Not sure if it would be okay for AH but maybe on the TV forum. PM me if you do as I'll be watching.

http://tvsales.rte.ie/autumn/content/factual/battle_sexes.html

thermo66 wrote: »
    Quite the conspiracy theorist aren't you.

66? :rolleyes:

Yup, love a good Sherlock Holmes mystery me (Moon landings?, meh :D)
    Seeing as they said it then yeah i believe it.

Even if the context that the original comment was made wouldn't make any sense? Well done.
    You seem to have a problem with being wrong! Typical Irishman :pac::pac:

Eh, I was the one who admitted I read it wrong. If you mean with Foodie saying she didn't read it as 'ejaculation' then you should read OJ's book .. he says he didn't do it you know.

Whatever Foodie66, eh sorry, Thermo66 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

xmcp wrote: »
    We're an ugly race. End of. A lot of Irish lads are short with bad faces. But, jesus, nearly 90% of Irish women over the age of 23 are obese, around here anyway. My father even said it a while ago, Irish women are really letting themselves go.

If anyone wants proof, browse plentyoffish.com for a while.... then go look at Scotland, which I thought would be as bad. No, we're definitely the worst. Ugliest white people in the world unfortunately :-(

Well I reckon you are talking crap, but then again I did read a study recently that fat people tend to be as fat as the people around them so maybe you just hang around with alot of fat people.

Oh and Scotland has a higher rate of obesity rate then Ireland does.

Yup, love a good Sherlock Holmes mystery me (Moon landings?, meh :D)

Even if the context that the original comment was made wouldn't make any sense? Well done.

Eh, I was the one who admitted I read it wrong. If you mean with Foodie saying she didn't read it as 'ejaculation' then you should read OJ's book .. he says he didn't do it you know.

Whatever Foodie66, eh sorry, Thermo66 :)

Im sorry you are talking in riddles now...

Right ok im Foodie66 ... happy now? :confused:

Even though ive been thermo66 for a year but sure anyway. Double identiies rock!!!

Even though ive been thermo66 for a year but sure anyway. Double identiies rock!!!

It was a joke .. hence the ":)"

Your the one that posted the .. "What's your point?" .. stating that it was a man that made the remark ,when you knew fine well that it was Foodie that I 'claim' made the snide comment.

If she did or didn't read it wrong is irrelevent as you still knew that I wasn't bugged at what Grandmaster had said, so the "What's your point?' post was bogus!

Troll much?

And if that's a 'riddle' also .. I couldn't care less.

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

This is in reply to a quote from me that was in response to the following about men in nightclubs.

Actually no, it was in response to a number of people's comments about people - both men and women - being drunk on a night out. It was a response to an attitude that exists in a lot of both men and women that means they can't dance, talk to someone or consider themselves to have had a successfully enjoyable night without confirmation via blackouts and / or a killer hangover the next day.
    What I was saying is women complaining about 'drunk men' in nightclubs and saying 'Sober Up' is a bit rich. If you want 'Sober men' don't go niteclubbing.

I go clubbing about twice a month these days with usually a dozen or so people and I can tell you that 99% of the time it is women who are see falling in the gutter and puking.

And your point is? I think it's disgraceful to see anyone, either male or female, in that state of inebriation. I complain about very drunk women as much as very drunk men. I believe it shows very little self respect. My point neither specified one sex over the other in terms of prevalence of the above behaviour, nor said that it was something one sex over the other should be more careful about. It's something we should all be aware of.
    Who suggested that?? I suppose this in response to me saying it's nonsensical to be looking for sober men in a nightclub at 2am :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised as juding by your above comments it would a your idea of hell what with people getting drunk from consuming alcohol and all that unwanted attention.

Oh please! Drink, be merry, just don't put yourself in jeopardy with the volume of alcohol you drink. Know your limit and stick to it. I don't care about anyone having a few drinks and enjoying themselves, but I just can't see the point of getting so drunk you can't remember what you did and potentially putting yourself in huge danger at the same time. Is there really something wrong with that? You make me sound like I believe everyone should be a pioneer. I see nothing wrong with drinking - my issue is with drinking to gross excess. I believe it's disgusting, very unappealing regardless of whether you're male or female. People getting stupid drunk are neither funny, nor clever, and I don't believe I'm wrong to be unimpressed by it.

As for the "unwanted attention" comment - I enjoy meeting new people, it doesn't mean I want to go home with them all - or necessarily any of them, for that matter. You yourself have repeatedly said that any girl could bring one of 50 guys home after a night out. So I, and people like me, should never venture outside our front doors if we're not looking for a one night stand? As someone who doesn't do the whole one night stand thing I'm not entitled to go out and have a laugh with my friends or meet new people, in a niteclub or bar, because you think I should be up for it in case you want to chat me up? Effectively that's what you've said. I shouldn't disagree?

Well, I have to be honest and say for me at least it is about 50% of women that will say thanks and only around 10% of women.

Well, I ALWAYS do and I can't understand people that don't. It doesn't take much to me considerate. Nothing infuriates me more than rudeness.

Then you're a rarity. People in general have become so much more self centred than they were before - especially in urban areas. I'm from a rural area, and have to say that the people at home behave much differently to those in urban areas, even those in close proximity to each other, with regard to consideration and politeness towards each other. Even at that, people are much more focussed on themselves over the past few years. Hopefully that's one thing the recession will fix - it's already having an effect on other people's consideration of each other in a positive way from what I can see.

It's not just some. That's the point. God I would love to set up some hidden cameras around doorways on Grafton St and get it all on film.

Yes, it is just some. How do I know that? Well (let me just do a quick check in case I've changed anatomically without noticing) I'm female - verified! - and I not only hold doors for people but couldn't imagine walking through one that's being held for me without saying thanks. Then again, I must be the only female on the planet who is like that - even your own girlfriend is a rude b!tch, really, since (I'm going out on a limb here) she's female too.
    This is a total myth. This whole 'bitterness effect' that women churn out time and time again. As soon as any many dares to say that women are ruder than men in society then they must be bitter. It's simply just not the case.

Except it's not! I'm not physically attractive, I've mentioned that before, and I've had to turn men down repeatedly - feigning relationships, lesbianism, you name it - to try and get my point across without point blank telling a guy I'm not interested in an offensive way and some men NEVER accept it. When they finally get to a point where they realise it's not going to happen they'll throw a spiteful c0ck tease, ice queen, b!tch or stupid slu7 at you to get a dig in because you've bruised their ego and they're bitter. I don't deny that some women are rude, but you claim male bitterness is a myth and expect me to swallow it? I don't have to want to spend time with every man who talks to me. I will be polite, but when I politely say no, I don't expect to have to make up excuse after excuse, and make the excuses as soft on a man's ego as possible, when he's making a nuisance of himself. Why is that so hard to accept? I honestly think some men believe it's their divine right to score on a night out and are determined that they will, whether any women find them attractive or not.

Some? Come on .. when your out in a club and your in the ladies you hear the way women talk. I don't hear it but have been told by girls that it is a very catty atmosphere and in general women are very very unapproachable when out.

Once again, yes, some. Not all women are nasty to each other, whether you believe me or not. Funnily enough, some of us do actually like each other. You seem to forget that, as you go through life, not every person will be nice. You take the ones who are with you and you leave the ones who aren't behind. I don't dwell on catty comments a girl might make to another one in a niteclub toilet because for every catty comment someone throws at someone else, there are a number of women complimenting someone else's clothes, make up, bag, hair etc. I'd prefer to take the pleasant conversations I've had with other women in the loo with me and so I forget any b!tchy comments there might have been.
    If you know someone in their group it is easy but to approach a strange woman is a minefield. Approaching a strange guy for a woman is easy as he will never tell you to f*ck off and turn to his mates and blank you. If this does happen then it is very very rare as most Irish guys just wouldn't be like that.

Rubbish. As many men as women out there believe they are gods gift. I have seen men use strange women as pawns when trying to get back at a friend for something. It's despicable behaviour and grossly undermines the confidence of the person being used as a pawn. Irish men are not the saintly victims you paint them to be.
    Well of course he's going to think your interested in him. If a guy strikes up a conversation with you when your in a club or bar would it not cross your mind that he is interest in you?

Women expect far too much from men.

How could that wreck you head? It wrecks my head that it wrecks yours :)

He might think you're interested, and you might actually have been interested initally, but if you talk to him for a few minutes and it turns out he's acting like a prick and you then want to get away, how easy is it? Why does there have to be a huge song and dance about simply ending a conversation and leaving it at that? Some - many, even - men seem to think that starting a conversation means much, much more than it actually does. They come on too strong, then get hurt when you back away and then attack because their pride is wounded.
    just read what you said there again. Do you have any idea what that sounds like? That is so conceited. can you imagine a guy coming on AH and saying ..

"You can't strike up a conversation with a women in a club without her assuming you're interested in her. Having a random chat with some girl at a bar does not mean I'm looking for a map to get into her knickers".

Now what would you feel about a guy that said that, honestly. I bet you'd think he was a smug git who needed to be get over himself and you'd be right.

Honestly? I'd have no problem with him saying that. Genuinely, I love getting to know people, but I hate the pressure of trying to get rid of them when you're not interested and they can't accept it. It takes from a good night out and ruins the whole thing. Sure, if you hit it off, that's great. It's when you don't and the guy in question won't accept it because he's determined to pull - and he couldn't care less who - that things go pear shaped. When that kind of pressure is almost a given, is it really, genuinely any wonder why some women won't even go as far as engaging in a conversation with a strange man?

I'm not saying all Irish men are like the aforementioned drunken, obnoxious louts. Many are lovely, intelligent, entertaining and very funny. The problem is that most of them seem to think that they have to behave like drunken a$$holes and it's so off putting. I do like Irish men, just not Irish men on a pulling mission that turns them into obnoxious d!cks.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to write an essay!

It was a joke .. hence the ":)"

Your the one that posted the .. "What's your point?" .. stating that it was a man that made the remark ,when you knew fine well that it was Foodie that I 'claim' made the snide comment.

If she did or didn't read it wrong is irrelevent as you still knew that I wasn't bugged at what Grandmaster had said, so the "What's your point?' post was bogus!

Troll much?

And if that's a 'riddle' also .. I couldn't care less.

Merry Christmas.

I don't undertsand what you are saying and I am not a troll, i made very valid points i think. If they are not to your liking that doesn't give you the right to call me a troll!!

And quit with the Xmas racket its only November. You are worse than Debenhams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

We're an ugly race. End of. A lot of Irish lads are short with bad faces. But, jesus, nearly 90% of Irish women over the age of 23 are obese, around here anyway. My father even said it a while ago, Irish women are really letting themselves go.

Out of curiosity, where is 'around here'?

Also there's no such thing as an ugly race. People come in different shapes and sizes. What's ugly to you is beautiful to someone else.

• Advertisement

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Actually no, it was in response to a number of people's comments about people - both men and women - being drunk on a night out. It was a response to an attitude that exists in a lot of both men and women that means they can't dance, talk to someone or consider themselves to have had a successfully enjoyable night without confirmation via blackouts and / or a killer hangover the next day.

And your point is? I think it's disgraceful to see anyone, either male or female, in that state of inebriation. I complain about very drunk women as much as very drunk men. I believe it shows very little self respect. My point neither specified one sex over the other in terms of prevalence of the above behaviour, nor said that it was something one sex over the other should be more careful about. It's something we should all be aware of.

Oh please! Drink, be merry, just don't put yourself in jeopardy with the volume of alcohol you drink. Know your limit and stick to it. I don't care about anyone having a few drinks and enjoying themselves, but I just can't see the point of getting so drunk you can't remember what you did and potentially putting yourself in huge danger at the same time. Is there really something wrong with that? You make me sound like I believe everyone should be a pioneer. I see nothing wrong with drinking - my issue is with drinking to gross excess. I believe it's disgusting, very unappealing regardless of whether you're male or female. People getting stupid drunk are neither funny, nor clever, and I don't believe I'm wrong to be unimpressed by it.

As for the "unwanted attention" comment - I enjoy meeting new people, it doesn't mean I want to go home with them all - or necessarily any of them, for that matter. You yourself have repeatedly said that any girl could bring one of 50 guys home after a night out. So I, and people like me, should never venture outside our front doors if we're not looking for a one night stand? As someone who doesn't do the whole one night stand thing I'm not entitled to go out and have a laugh with my friends or meet new people, in a niteclub or bar, because you think I should be up for it in case you want to chat me up? Effectively that's what you've said. I shouldn't disagree?

Then you're a rarity. People in general have become so much more self centred than they were before - especially in urban areas. I'm from a rural area, and have to say that the people at home behave much differently to those in urban areas, even those in close proximity to each other, with regard to consideration and politeness towards each other. Even at that, people are much more focussed on themselves over the past few years. Hopefully that's one thing the recession will fix - it's already having an effect on other people's consideration of each other in a positive way from what I can see.

Yes, it is just some. How do I know that? Well (let me just do a quick check in case I've changed anatomically without noticing) I'm female - verified! - and I not only hold doors for people but couldn't imagine walking through one that's being held for me without saying thanks. Then again, I must be the only female on the planet who is like that - even your own girlfriend is a rude b!tch, really, since (I'm going out on a limb here) she's female too.

Except it's not! I'm not physically attractive, I've mentioned that before, and I've had to turn men down repeatedly - feigning relationships, lesbianism, you name it - to try and get my point across without point blank telling a guy I'm not interested in an offensive way and some men NEVER accept it. When they finally get to a point where they realise it's not going to happen they'll throw a spiteful c0ck tease, ice queen, b!tch or stupid slu7 at you to get a dig in because you've bruised their ego and they're bitter. I don't deny that some women are rude, but you claim male bitterness is a myth and expect me to swallow it? I don't have to want to spend time with every man who talks to me. I will be polite, but when I politely say no, I don't expect to have to make up excuse after excuse, and make the excuses as soft on a man's ego as possible, when he's making a nuisance of himself. Why is that so hard to accept? I honestly think some men believe it's their divine right to score on a night out and are determined that they will, whether any women find them attractive or not.

Once again, yes, some. Not all women are nasty to each other, whether you believe me or not. Funnily enough, some of us do actually like each other. You seem to forget that, as you go through life, not every person will be nice. You take the ones who are with you and you leave the ones who aren't behind. I don't dwell on catty comments a girl might make to another one in a niteclub toilet because for every catty comment someone throws at someone else, there are a number of women complimenting someone else's clothes, make up, bag, hair etc. I'd prefer to take the pleasant conversations I've had with other women in the loo with me and so I forget any b!tchy comments there might have been.

Rubbish. As many men as women out there believe they are gods gift. I have seen men use strange women as pawns when trying to get back at a friend for something. It's despicable behaviour and grossly undermines the confidence of the person being used as a pawn. Irish men are not the saintly victims you paint them to be.

He might think you're interested, and you might actually have been interested initally, but if you talk to him for a few minutes and it turns out he's acting like a prick and you then want to get away, how easy is it? Why does there have to be a huge song and dance about simply ending a conversation and leaving it at that? Some - many, even - men seem to think that starting a conversation means much, much more than it actually does. They come on too strong, then get hurt when you back away and then attack because their pride is wounded.

Honestly? I'd have no problem with him saying that. Genuinely, I love getting to know people, but I hate the pressure of trying to get rid of them when you're not interested and they can't accept it. It takes from a good night out and ruins the whole thing. Sure, if you hit it off, that's great. It's when you don't and the guy in question won't accept it because he's determined to pull - and he couldn't care less who - that things go pear shaped. When that kind of pressure is almost a given, is it really, genuinely any wonder why some women won't even go as far as engaging in a conversation with a strange man?

I'm not saying all Irish men are like the aforementioned drunken, obnoxious louts. Many are lovely, intelligent, entertaining and very funny. The problem is that most of them seem to think that they have to behave like drunken a$$holes and it's so off putting. I do like Irish men, just not Irish men on a pulling mission that turns them into obnoxious d!cks.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to write an essay!

Well said!!! I think a lot of guys would be mortified in the cold light of day if they could see the way they approach women on a night out. There was one post earlier in the thread advising a guy who was afraid to approach a girl on a night out to 'just go up and chat to her and START KISSING HER NECK'. Just like that... and women are supposed to find that attractive!!

I don't undertsand what you are saying and I am not a troll, i made very valid points

You came on and said:
    Yes If memory serves me correctly that was made by a MAN so what is your point?

When you KNEW I was refering to Foodie66 saying:
    foodie66 wrote: »
    eh ok ... maybe outlaw pete can help you with that one, I hear he's an expert with that :D:D

When people say things for effect that is obvious they do not believe people usually call suggest they are 'trolling' .. which is what I did, with a question mark.

You knew I wasn't refering to anything a man said or implied, so why say it then?

And quit with the Xmas racket its only November. You are worse than Debenhams[/quote]

There was one post earlier in the thread advising a guy who was afraid to approach a girl on a night out to 'just go up and chat to her and START KISSING HER NECK'. Just like that... and women are supposed to find that attractive!!

Eh, they were joking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

:eek:

They were!?! Uh-oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I think Irish women are very pretty! I work in a bar and half the staff are Irish and the other half are foreign and I gotta say we're all more "ourselves", we're young, upbeat, healthy looking, "normal" weights, friendly personalities, while the others are as another poster said size 6, more serious, grumpy, judgemental etc. It's ridiculous! When we get our break me and my mates go and get food while all they do is smoke! Surely that's not normal like what's attractive about that! I think Irish men shouldn't be so quick to judge! All of yas are going on about how the polish n all keep themselves in good shape and all which is a load of BS. They don't eat they just smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

You'd be surprised to find out how many guys actually think that is a way to approach a girl in a nightclub. I couldnt even count the amount of times I've had some guy just come up and grab me on a dancefloor, and expected me to swoon at their feet. And if I dont, I'm a total bitch. This happens to all girls, numerous times on any night out.

• Advertisement

beanyb wrote: »
    You'd be surprised to find out how many guys actually think that is a way to approach a girl in a nightclub. I couldnt even count the amount of times I've had some guy just come up and grab me on a dancefloor, and expected me to swoon at their feet. And if I dont, I'm a total bitch. This happens to all girls, numerous times on any night out.

This exact thing happened me last night in work, a guy just came up to me and started chatting me up, then asked me what age I thought he was and I said 28 (he turned out to be late 30's, i'm a terrible judge of age!!) then kissed me on both cheeks. Majority of guys are just out to boost their egos

They weren't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xmcp

Notorious wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where is 'around here'?

Also there's no such thing as an ugly race. People come in different shapes and sizes. What's ugly to you is beautiful to someone else.

West Clare... gene pool VERY small out here, haha.
    Lol, don't give me that relativism crap. We're an ugly race, accept it! Get 100 lads and women from Ireland and 100 lads and women from Sweden and show them to 100 lads and women in China, Nigeria and Texas and we'll see who they'd prefer to roide.

Take me, I'm 5'10", which is pretty average for a male in Ireland, chatting to Danish girls in London who were taller than me, they said I'd be small in their country. Needless to say I went home alone!

West Clare... gene pool VERY small out here, haha.
    Lol, don't give me that relativism crap. We're an ugly race, accept it! Get 100 lads and women from Ireland and 100 lads and women from Sweden and show them to 100 lads and women in China, Nigeria and Texas and we'll see who they'd prefer to roide.

You my friend need to grow the fcuk up. That's a ridiculous statement to make! You get good and bad everywhere, accept it! :rolleyes:

beanyb wrote: »

'Cos most Irish guys have no game, except to grab women on dancefloor from behind, turn them around and hope for the best. You NEVER score decent women on the dancefloor, anyone with any bit of game knows that.

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    You my friend need to grow the fcuk up. That's a ridiculous statement to make! You get good and bad everywhere, accept it! :rolleyes:

It's my opinion, don't get so defensive! I'm saying it for the lads as well, probably more so!

It's my opinion, don't get so defensive! I'm saying it for the lads as well, probably more so!

Well I don't find the Irish lads unattractive! And I doubt the majority of Irish women do either! Maybe you're just picky! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

And we're done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement