Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

I don't believe its about looks, its more about attitudes of Irish women and to be honest most Irish girls come across as if they are above us mere mortal Irish men, gods gift to us if you will. Women in general may well be gods gift to us men folk and should be treated that way, but i don't need that rubbed in my face every time i try and talk to an Irish girl in a bar or club.

The foreign ladies on the other hand have a complete different attitude and approach you as an equal, much more desirable. :D

Awaits to be burned badly..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I dont give a fuk where someone is from , if they're hot they're hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭mandysmithers

murfie wrote: »
    I don't believe its about looks, its more about attitudes of Irish women and to be honest most Irish girls come across as if they are above us mere mortal Irish men, gods gift to us if you will. Women in general may well be gods gift to us men folk and should be treated that way, but i don't need that rubbed in my face every time i try and talk to an Irish girl in a bar or club.

The foreign ladies on the other hand have a complete different attitude and approach you as an equal, much more desirable. :D

Awaits to be burned badly..........

If that's your opinion on 'most' Irish women, then don't bother chatting them up anymore. As I posted earlier, neither I, nor my friends, would be so rude to someone who came up to chat to one of us. And I don't know many girls who would be like that, in fact, I'd be hard pushed to think of any girls of my acquaintance at all who would be like that.

F*cking generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Irish women have the best loyalist most decent personalities on a whole compared to any other nationality in world.(Excluding the small very small few)

Funny how non nationals find Irish women attractive and sweet and friendly,and marrying them and not marrying their own so more attractive then Irish women :rolleyes: .

Some Irish women find Irish men rude loud lacking in charm and not good looking and not very gentleman like.;) So even stevens :D

As for taking care of themselves,i think the Irish women are heads above Irish men in dress sense:),(again except for the few and same in every country in world) and non Irish men dress immaculate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Having been a fair few places around europe, I've noticed a few things. If you pick a group of say 18 year olds, Irish women can defo hold their own in most company. Yes the foriegn types may be more exotic, but objectively the Irish are fine.

Fast forward 10 years... Then you see the difference. Both men and women here tend to get so called middle aged spread far more quickly than what Ive seen of other cultures. This is a fairly new thing too. well last 20yrs anyway.

Go to any airport in europe and finding the line for Ireland is pretty easy. We're just generally dumpier and stodgier for want of better words. Less elegance going on. In both genders BTW.

You see this in dress sizes. Go to a general shop like dunnes etc in any other major european capital city(outside of The UK) and try finding a size 20 or 22 in the rack for young women. With an ex in Italy(her being italian) I noted this. In spain the same. I actually asked where were the size 16s and was told that was more for a specialty shop. I kid thee not. You will also see a fair bit of stock of size 4 and 6.

Its a lifestyle thing not a gene thing IMHO

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If that's your opinion on 'most' Irish women, then don't bother chatting them up anymore. As I posted earier, neither I, nor my friends, would be so rude to someone who came up to chat to one of us. And I don't know many girls who would be like that, in fact, I'd be hard pushed to think of any girls of my acquaintance at all who would be like that.

****ing generalisations.

+1
    Totally agree with you any Non Nationals i know say Irish women are so friendly and nice to be around and chilled.
    I have never seen any Irish women mean to anyone who approached them out,and my friends who are Ukrainian would snub men in a heart beat.

On top of that i saw someone say Irish women are fatter? that's a load of codswallop.
    Just because the stick insect fashion is in them other countries doesn't mean we all want to be bones.
    Irish women have women bodies not little boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

1st of all...what an absolutely brilliant thread, even if my blood was boiling reading Hells Belles posts!

Seriously, what a way to live up to the stereotypical image I have built up in my mind of Irish women. I work as a DJ and 90% of the **** and abuse I get on a nightly basis at weekends comes from...Irish women! The English girls and 'foreigners' (can never really tell where theyre from) are nearly always polite and friendly and will say stuff like 'if this song fits in for ya, could you play x song please?' and they generally go away happy, because their attitude is good.

irish girl comes up 'i want a song played. britneys new one..when can you play it? thats not quick enough. no you have to play it, its my birthday.' i generally will refuse to play the song out of spite then (unless its a necessary type of song) and they then threaten me with my boss. i tell them to work away, since my boss also hates girls who do this, and has told me to be as rude as i like.

my gf is from asia, and a nicer girl you couldnt meet. no ego, no attitude, and gorgeous too...irish girls need to get a grip.

btw...good luck with the wedding prinz.

liah wrote: »
    In fairness.. it is After Hours. :pac:

Also, it was just one incredibly egotistical and hypocritical poster who dragged the entire thread into complete disarray.. it wasn't too bad before that.

Curious as to why people are attacking my OP though, considering I said nothing but good things about the girls :(

Don't worry about it Irish men like to dump on Irish women all the time and they wonder then why they are unapproachable :rolleyes: Because they treat women with utmost respect and courtesy and so nice to be around when drunk and falling down shouting and cursing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

ottostreet wrote: »
    1st of all...what an absolutely brilliant thread, even if my blood was boiling reading Hells Belles posts!

I aim to please, being AH an all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always find its the losers who end up going out with foreign nationals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

shqipshume wrote: »
    On top of that i saw someone say Irish women are fatter? that's a load of codswallop.
    Just because the stick insect fashion is in them other countries doesn't mean we all want to be bones.
    Irish women have women bodies not little boys.
    Womens bodies are a good thing. I dont like boys bodies, but one doesnt have to go from one extreme to the other you know. Fit and healthy look for a start.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I aim to please, being AH an all.

How was your lunch meeting? Liberate a few business deals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Irish women are as good looking as any other group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Lux23 wrote: »

Ha!! I might take offence to that if I wasn't laughing so much. Are you bitter? The truth is hard to swallow I know.
    I am married to a non-Irish girl, am i a complete loser? I was blasted for making a generalisation, looks like it goes both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

:rolleyes: wow just wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bernie_Bernbaum

I've only ever really encountered this negative attitude towards Irish women here on boards tbh. Most Irish men I know in real life love Irish women.

The stuck up/god's gift/queue jumping type exists everywhere, it's not exclusive to Irish women at all - in fact the two worst offenders I've come across for this in Ireland were foreign - one Spanish, one Polish. None of the Irish women I know would be like this at all.

I think though that the Irish as a nation lack self confidence, both men and women, and a lot of them don't know what to do with their sexiness which can result in both the male phenomenon of getting too drunk for the dutch courage and using messy and awkward chat ups - and the female response of not knowing how to handle an approach by someone who fancies them and it coming off as stuck up or aloof.... I dunno just my take on it.

I will say this though - the foreign men who have chatted me up over the years do use a different approach - more along the lines of a compliment or
    coming straight out to say they like you, instead of something like 'nice tits' or 'I definately would' that I've had off Irish guys. I still prefer Irish guys though :)

(I don't get the fake tan thing though it has to be said.... it just looks too obvious on our Irish skin. I leave my skin pale and almost every day I have one female friend or another ask me would I not go for a spray tan :eek:)

segaBOY wrote: »
    How was your lunch meeting? Liberate a few business deals?

Good actually, I've been up since 6 fine tuning our reports and it looks like it worked, my colleague is on the phone with them getting a nice order on the back of our teams work, we hopefully can keep all our staff now (thanks be to whatever god you choose) :D*

*sorry for going off topic again but I don't feel like arguing anymore, we'll be cracking out the bubbly soon!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Womens bodies are a good thing. I dont like boys bodies, but one doesnt have to go from one extreme to the other you know. Fit and healthy look for a start.

Most Irish women i know ranging from ages of 18 to 45 take care of themselves and do not go overboard on weight wise.Young girls i do know and mid 20's who put on weight is due to the pill and other reason.
    Irish women on a whole are slim in general.In a class of 36 girls when i was 18 there was only 2 larger girls.In a school of about 3 thousand girls,I saw i would say five larger girls and that was about it.The ones who are married and with their husbands some might put on weight.But the whole Irish women are fatter is a complete load of bull.

murfie wrote: »
    Ha!! I might take offence to that if I wasn't laughing so much. Are you bitter? The truth is hard to swallow I know.
    I am married to a non-Irish girl, am i a complete loser? I was blasted for making a generalisation, looks like it goes both ways.

Your supposed to laugh.

Good actually, I've been up since 6 fine tuning our reports and it looks like it worked, my colleague is on the phone with them getting a nice order on the back of our teams work, we hopefully can keep all our staff now (thanks be to whatever god you choose) :D*

*sorry for going off topic again but I don't feel like arguing anymore, we'll be cracking out the bubbly soon!

That's brilliant news. Pretty sweet that you can do all that and manage to browse boards inbetween!!

Cheers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Were they TPS reports?

Who's arguing? Question asked, question answered according to each individual's personal experience, simple as.

as I've been up since 5am and got my stuff finished by 12 I thought I'd torment a few boardsies while having a cup of tea and a break - my guilty pleasure. And your excuse would be?

Ps its legal to have 15 min break for every 4 hrs you work. I also have an office to my self so I can do what I like as long as the work gets done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There are AMAZING looking Irish women out there but on the whole the Irish arent as attractive as other nationalities. Im sure Irish women would say the same of Irish men. We just dont stack up against mediterranean people or some South American countries. Theres a reason Miss World is won by Venezuela so many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think though that the Irish as a nation lack self confidence, both men and women, and a lot of them don't know what to do with their sexiness which can result in both the male phenomenon of getting too drunk for the dutch courage and using messy and awkward chat ups - and the female response of not knowing how to handle an approach by someone who fancies them and it coming off as stuck up or aloof.... I dunno just my take on it.

I think this part is very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Most Irish women i know ranging from ages of 18 to 45 take care of themselves and do not go overboard on weight wise.Young girls i do know and mid 20's who put on weight is due to the pill and other reason.
    Irish women on a whole are slim in general.In a class of 36 girls when i was 18 there was only 2 larger girls.In a school of about 3 thousand girls,I saw i would say five larger girls and that was about it.The ones who are married and with their husbands some might put on weight.But the whole Irish women are fatter is a complete load of bull.

We're not talking about elephants, we're taking about spare tyres and general all-round flabbiness and pudginess. For which, come to think of it, Irish men tend more towards than the women.

Agricola wrote: »
    There are AMAZING looking Irish women out there but on the whole the Irish arent as attractive as other nationalities. Im sure Irish women would say the same of Irish men. We just dont stack up against mediterranean people or some South American countries. Theres a reason Miss World is won by Venezuela so many times.

But this is the point.Other nationalities find Irish very attractive.Pale skin blue,green eyes and brunettes blonds and the few red heads.
    Irish have soft features.
    In your eyes and others we don't.
    I think we do :cool:

But this is the point.Other nationalities find Irish very attractive.Pale skin blue,green eyes and brunettes blonds and the few red heads.

Its all about the exotic for people. And for some drunken elephants in Celtic shirts/fake tan are very exotic.

Attractiveness isn't only physical. It's also how you behave, your attitude, how you present yourself etc, and this is where people are saying Irish girls ( not all, but a lot) fall down for the most part.

prinz wrote: »
    Were they TPS reports?

if you mean Toilet Paper Sheet no it wasn't but we tendered for the work, then had discussions with the customer, had just what they wanted and it looks like they have accepted. Still waiting for colleague to get off the phone but she's having a great laugh with whoever she's talking to. Not a bad mornings work. And I get to get a few backs up, happy days :pac:

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    We're not talking about elephants, we're taking about spare tyres and general all-round flabbiness and pudginess. For which, come to think of it, Irish men tend more towards than the women.

Irish women with spare tyres :eek: And you lean mean sexy Irish muscly beer belly less are a treat :D
    Lucky Irish women aren't as fussy or alot of you wouldn't be born :D

• Advertisement

Attractiveness isn't only physical. It's also how you behave, your attitude, how you present yourself etc, and this is where people are saying Irish girls ( not all, but a lot) fall down for the most part.

And i said funny how non nationals find their own women are lacking in them qualities and Irish women have them.;) That's what i am saying.

Its all about the exotic for people. And for some drunken elephants in Celtic shirts/fake tan are very exotic.

Wow where do you frequent.Because that's a huge generalisation :rolleyes: Time for you to change venues.;)

I think that has alot to do with drinking too much though. Personally I think that's our biggest problem, its easier to lose weight etc etc but our reliance on alcohol socially is what seems to be the problem here.

Thats what I think anyway. Oh not just for women, men are worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

The grass is always greener etc. .

as I've been up since 5am and got my stuff finished by 12 I thought I'd torment a few boardsies while having a cup of tea and a break - my guilty pleasure. And your excuse would be?

Ps its legal to have 15 min break for every 4 hrs you work. I also have an office to my self so I can do what I like as long as the work gets done.

I mostly work in Paris, fly home to NY the odd time for this on off thing I've got going with a NY Times Journalist. She's very independent altogether.

Wibbs wrote: »

Its a lifestyle thing not a gene thing IMHO

Yes but who wants to spend their life with a permanently hungry person?

Liah I've heard this bashing our home grown bs from men of all different nationalities.
    It is a self esteem thing on their part. Women in foreign countries are easier targets, and they care less about their opinions if they do get shot down.

Wow where do you frequent.Because that's a huge generalisation :rolleyes: Time for you to change venues.;)

Oh Coppers, The Kestral, The Palace all fine establishments

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is a self esteem thing on their part.

Sorry, but an Irish girl dressing like a thai hooker to go on a cold November night in Dublin has nothing to do with my self esteem.

Sorry, but an Irish girl dressing like a thai hooker to go on a cold November night in Dublin has nothing to do with my self esteem.

They also cost more than $5 :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

But it's a fact - please don't take as a jibe, this is a measurable fact. In Polish high street clothes go from 6 to maybe 14, in most shops you'd be hard pressed to find 14. My sister is size 14-16 and is considered seriously biggish in Poland. She was overjoyed to discover that she can get clothes in any shop here as most of them stock up to size 20, in Poland she had not much choice other than specialty shops and frumpy granny clothes they stock.

I gave up on trying to find size 8 in Irish shops. Even 10s are often hard to find as I experienced this weekend trying to hunt them among the piles of 12 to 16s.

This is not a critique, merely an observation. I think it boils down to cultural background - when a Polish girl finds out her size 10 clothes are tight alarm bells go off and it's automatically jump on your bike fitness time.

Oh Coppers, The Kestral, The Palace all fine establishments

They are fine establishments? :D

Honestly maybe you guys need to look at yourselves and your approaches to these girls who are rude.Because i have never seen any of what you say about Irish girls attitudes.And the beer guzzling and dressing like that i have seen very little.And wrong to generalise because then we can about men to:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If you're going to talk horse sh!te then at least leave more than 5 posts space before telling related lies. You wil be exposed
    SHENNANIGANS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

segaBOY wrote: »
    They also cost more than $5 :mad:

Damn right.

Ten dolla is too buku.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If you're going to talk horse sh!te then at least leave more than 5 posts space before telling related lies. You wil be exposed
    SHENNANIGANS

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

*it's fun watching people hang themselves

Prinz if I'm on the right line of thinking the only girls who would "dress like Thai hookers" would be fairly young and therefore for the most part uninterested in settling for the first guy they come across (except maybe just for that night) especially if he is so locked he can't zip up his pants.

So maybe thats why young Irish guys find young Irish women stand offish. I don't think many Eastern European/American/British girls under 25 would be much different in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Yes but who wants to spend their life with a permanently hungry person?.

And keeping your weight under control equals starving yourself.... how? :rolleyes:

Prinz if I'm on the right line of thinking the only girls who would "dress like Thai hookers" would be fairly young and therefore for the most part uninterested in settling for the first guy they come across (except maybe just for that night) especially if he is so locked he can't zip up his pants.

You're not. This applies right on up the line. Not always to the same extent, or not always regarding less clothing, but the same attitude. Also it not only applies to nights out/trying to score but just general interactions on a day to day basis.
    So maybe thats why young Irish guys find young Irish women stand offish. I don't think many Eastern European/American/British girls under 25 would be much different in that respect.

Oh but they would. I've been out in Dublin many times with the fiancées friends and siblings, cousins, etc, also in-laws from another European country.. and they can't believe the way Irish girls especially dress in the pubs and clubs, even on the street in the middle of the day. You'd quickly get a non-complimentary name for yourself.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    SHENNANIGANS

Just to clarify, I was up at 5 to get washed dressed and made up, and in the office at 6 along with the rest of my colleagues so we could nail this thing. I work normal office hours usually. Is that enough info or would you like to know what I had for breakfast?

I dislike you calling me a liar, bitch if you like but not liar.

You're not. This applies right on up the line. Not always to the same extent, or not always regarding less clothing, but the same attitude.

Oh but they would. I've been out in Dublin many times with the fiancées friends and siblings, cousins, etc, also in-laws from another European country.. and they can't believe the way Irish girls especially dress in the pubs and clubs, even on the street in the middle of the day. You'd quickly get a non-complimentary name for yourself.

I know a few Eastern European girls that dress like hookers so I don't think thats much of an argument. Do you ever go to the Czech Inn? I went to a Slovakian hen party there once and several of the girls had skirts just covering their nether regions. I was being mocked for covering up so I find what your saying strange, sure loads of Irish girls dress like hookers but this is universal.

shqipshume wrote:
    As I said the average 18 to say 22 year old is pretty much the same as overseas. Pretty much. Beyond that I've defo noted differences in sizes. In both genders too. Walk down a street in Milan and compare it to a street in Dublin. There is an appreciable difference in the amount of bigger women. I'm not talking obese and it does depend on what one defines as bigger. This is not an attractiveness thing as such. A lot of men like more curves on a woman. On the street in milan you will see many more small framed women. I'm not talking about anorexic 5ft 19 size 8's either. I know womens sizing is a minefield but lets take the average idea of it. You will see more 14 - 16 sized mid 20's women in Dublin than in say Milan. You will see more (non bony) size 8's in Milan. In somewhere like Slovakia the difference is even more marked. The overall average will be smaller. The Irish would generally be taller and bigger framed though so that's a lot of it too. Irish women seem to have bigger boobs too. Bonus for breast men:)
    Yes but who wants to spend their life with a permanently hungry person?
    You see this is a thing I've noticed being trotted out. They're not permanently hungry. This notion that a slim woman is permanently hungry is a bit a a silly one IMHO. Would anyone say the same of a skinny man? I seriously doubt it, yet the notion that a slim woman must be always hungry and counting calories is a very common one.

I have known quite a few slim women and all but one just didnt have big appetites(and she lived in the gym). That was mostly why they were skinny. It's why I'm skinny. I just dont eat much. Im not permanently hungry either. Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat something. Plus if you're smaller to start with you're going to need less calories anyway.

Maybe its part of the irish diet that makes people more hungry in a way. I do think the weather does anyway. In 30 degree heat Id eat even less than I do now. I just wouldnt be interested.

Liah I've heard this bashing our home grown bs from men of all different nationalities.
    It is a self esteem thing on their part. Women in foreign countries are easier targets, and they care less about their opinions if they do get shot down.
    I would agree with a lot of that yes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement