Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish men find Irish women so unattractive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I have not read any of this thread. Won't try to pretend otherwise. Some Irish women are hallions are beasts and some are the most beautiful things you could ever lay your eyes on. Just as with every nationality and race. I can't help but feel this is sh1te thread. The majority of Irish men marry Irish women. I mean, wtf.

Now where's my whisky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

To put it very bluntly:

On average:
    Irish women are overweight and have been spoiled rotten by their fathers so now have delusions of being princesses...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Pace2008 wrote: »

No idea where the hell they got that figure from, I was over there a few months back and I think I saw one over weight woman.. :confused:

Maybe they hide them away or something, or maybe they class a size 8 or 10 as obese.. cause they are far from it over there.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Pace2008 wrote: »

*titters*

They're weighted averages...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

And Irish women are not the only drunks in the world. All of the English speaking countries in the world are as bad as us. Aussie girls are total pissheads, same with Kiwis. I had some girls from New York visit me here in the summer and they got twisted the whole time they were here. My friends in the UK are all pissheads. My ex was Canadian and drank as much as me.
    Who cares if we drink too much and aren't as bloody "sophisticated" as French people or whatever? I like getting drunk sometimes and I like a girl who likes to get wasted for no reason every now and again. Vive la binge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I think Irish women are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

"Of course, they all have lovely bottoms"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I like Irish women...
    they just don't seem to like me!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Ok, I'm a lady and I have to say, yes, there are plenty of Irish women who are thunderin bitches, and I have to say, any eastern european girls I've met (and I know a few) have been all lovely girls - I think a lot of Irish girls are very insecure?! I have my moments myself :D

BUT, these girls who you talk of, that are complete snobs, and refuse to talk to you - I can bet that they're the ones frequenting haunts such as Krystle, Lillies, Howl At The Moon, etc (now I like HATM - but I have witnessed quite a few of these situations going on there!) They're the ones that are plastered in fake tan, hair extensions, and a face full of war paint - the ones that think they are better than anyone else in the room.

Maybe lads, try going to "normal" pubs/clubs (Club Nassau - i DARE ya! ;)) where there isn't such a pretentious clientele, and people just wanna have a bit of craic, not standing there posing for photos that they're gonna upload on their facebook the second they get home.

Don't tar us all with the same brush either - I'm really pale so I have the sense not to wear fake tan, as I know I'll look ridiculous (pale is in now, don't ya know!), I don't skip queues, or embarrass a fella if he's trying to chat me up NICELY (ie. NOT slapping my ass, or trying to grope me anywhere else, or slurring so much I can't understand him - if ye do any of these things, ye deserve a slap)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Irish women are great to look at.

Not sure about them personality wise, they don't talk to me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Well firstly just to answer Liah's OP. I think there are a lot of irish women that are physically attractive. I think if you go to anywhere in Ireland, you will find fabulous looking women there. Without question. However for me personally, physical attraction is only part of the package and I find that personality wise, there are a lot of women who seem to be letting the side down. And yes, I'm sure there are a lot of men who do that too. But that needs it's own separate thread! :)

I think however one of the problems is that many irish women believe that every man that approaches them has an agenda and is to be treated suspiciously at best and vilified at worst. I think this is sad because when I've lived and travelled abroad, the women I've encountered have been more relaxed and more open to having a conversation with you. I'm not saying that you can't get that here too but in my own experience it's just incredibly rare.

Irish women have a lot of potential in my opinion. They're gorgeous, they can be incredibly funny, interesting and fun to be with. But many of the ones I've met seem to have an entirely negative mindset. And if you question that worldview you are told that you are just 'intimidated by a confident woman who knows what they wants' in a rather hostile manner.

Confidence is something that comes within in my opinion. It's not brash and it's not obnoxious. A woman reading a book alone in a pub or coffee shop is confident because she's not afraid to be on her own and she can do her own thing. Real confidence for me is not dogmatic or aggressive. So when I see real confidence, I'm not intimidated, I'm pleased for that person that they're living their own life.

But getting back on topic, I count many wonderful Irish women as my good friends but to be honest in my own experiences, I'm not sure I would date another one right now. Too much high maintenance and negativity in my encounters to be honest.

Obviously it goes without saying that these are just my own experiences. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong...or indeed right!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Apolloyon wrote: »
    Obviously it goes without saying that these are just my own experiences. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong...or indeed right!;)

You hit the nail on the head, what I have been trying to say all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

irish women imo are stuck up gits not all but alot,whenever i spend time in the uk women are much easier to chat to they seem to approach the guys more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sleepy wrote: »
    To put it very bluntly:

On average:
    Irish men are overweight and have been spoiled rotten by their mothers so now have delusions of all women living up to being their mothers...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Where's Hells Bell gone? I was thoroughly enjoying her independant woman stance. So cute playing business woman!

Also she pretty much personifies exactly what i was talking about RE what irish girls are striving to be in my post way back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

prinz wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head, what I have been trying to say all along.

Prinz why do you care you are getting married ;)

shqipshume wrote: »
    Prinz why do you care you are getting married ;)

Just want what's best for Irish girls ;) The Irish look is massively popular at home and abroad. Just needs the attitude to match it.

Plus I'm sick of explaining it to friends who can't understand why they're single.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've been all over the planet and I can say that Ireland has its fair share of stunners and bad lookers, no less or more so than elsewhere. Beauty is just in the eye of the beholder.
    ...But that said - I've been to Sweden a few times and I'm starting to suspect that someone is putting something in the water!
    I'm probably wrong but there appears to be a higher percentage of absolute real stunner's over there than any other place I've been to.
    Even better, the females are so open minded about sex and being nude. If there is a heaven, I want it to be like Sweden. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Just want what's best for Irish girls ;) The Irish look is massively popular at home and abroad. Just needs the attitude to match it.

Plus I'm sick of explaining it to friends who can't understand why they're single.

Ok so what exactly do you think Irish women should change? Because frankly if a man doesn't like me as I am then why would I want to be with him? And why would he be approaching me in the first place?

That's what I don't get about alot of this. There seems to be alot of men saying that when they approach a girl to chat her up shes rude to him but then he says all Irish girls are fat, ugly, ignornant anyway so why did he bother in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

That's what I don't get about alot of this. There seems to be alot of men saying that when they approach a girl to chat her up shes rude to him but then he says all Irish girls are fat, ugly, ignornant anyway so why did he bother in the first place?

Because...after having dealt with sometimes vicious rejection/attitude by Irish women, maybe some blokes develop a defence mechanism akin to:

'Fcuk 'em! Don't want to deal with them anymore. Sure they're only a bunch of fat, ugly b!tches anyway'

They may not have thought that way to begin with but a few bad experiences can hurt and cause them to become very negative about Irish women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Don't know if it's been said before but my opinion on the whole thing is the old chestnut 'the grass is always greener on the other side'. My reasons are that any males I've met abroad and decide to come to Ireland for a visit usually say all my girl mates are absolutely stunning when all I see is freckles and pale faces. I think it's just because we take it for granted and is why we're all so obssessed with Latino girls, they're a rarity.

Happened to me in Mexico, I went for lunch with these two Danish girls from my hostel, not particularly stunning but very Scandinavian looking (blond hair and white skin) and all the Mexicans were all over them, completely ignoring the smoking hot latino girls walking by that I was fixated with. Then down in Colombia, the most amazing girls I've ever seen were chatting me up and I'm no 'Jon Bon Jovi'!

...In hindsight...what the hell am I doing back in Ireland?!?

Lux23 wrote: »
    Ok so what exactly do you think Irish women should change? Because frankly if a man doesn't like me as I am then why would I want to be with him? And why would he be approaching me in the first place?

I don't think Irish women should change anything, I am explaining why I didn't find a lot of Irish girls attractive. I am explaining why foreign in-laws are shocked by what they see when I take them out in Dublin. I have already gone though the things that could change.

I never said anything about the looks. Irish girls can be as hot or as not as anyone else IMO, in many cases the actual pysical good looks and strong points are ruined by the girls themselves.

Like I said before, I'm not focusing on trying to pick a girl up. I am looking at the bigger picture, friends, people you meet through work, random strangers on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

Ok, I'm a lady and I have to say, yes, there are plenty of Irish women who are thunderin bitches, and I have to say, any eastern european girls I've met (and I know a few) have been all lovely girls - I think a lot of Irish girls are very insecure?! I have my moments myself :D

BUT, these girls who you talk of, that are complete snobs, and refuse to talk to you - I can bet that they're the ones frequenting haunts such as Krystle, Lillies, Howl At The Moon, etc (now I like HATM - but I have witnessed quite a few of these situations going on there!) They're the ones that are plastered in fake tan, hair extensions, and a face full of war paint - the ones that think they are better than anyone else in the room.

Maybe lads, try going to "normal" pubs/clubs (Club Nassau - i DARE ya! ;)) where there isn't such a pretentious clientele, and people just wanna have a bit of craic, not standing there posing for photos that they're gonna upload on their facebook the second they get home.

Don't tar us all with the same brush either - I'm really pale so I have the sense not to wear fake tan, as I know I'll look ridiculous (pale is in now, don't ya know!), I don't skip queues, or embarrass a fella if he's trying to chat me up NICELY (ie. NOT slapping my ass, or trying to grope me anywhere else, or slurring so much I can't understand him - if ye do any of these things, ye deserve a slap)

THIS!!!!

I don't mind talking to fella's in a pub if they are nice and polite not coming up saying 'Ye'v a grand arse' or learing at you crosseyed half p!ssed! Its not attractive and its annoying especially if they keep hassling you. Why would anyone be bothered talking to anyone like that! :confused: I know some girls can be stuck up but going to all those exclusive, pretentious clubs is not really going to help you find a nice girl. The facebook comment was hilarious btw!!!

As far as the way girls dress... well im only in my mid-late 20's and im shocked at the way girls dress but thats not just an irish thing. Less is more these days it seems! Except when it comes to fake tan and make up. I used to house share with a girl who actually made me feel like a freak because i didnt wear fake tan! She'd even feel ugly herself if she didnt wear tan every day!!

I think describing a whole nationality as beautiful/ugly is ridiculous. There are beauties and ordinary in every country. I don't think we are half bad here at all!! The teens nowadays should lose the inclination to become L.A trash though! I thank God im not a teen nowadays!

So yeah guys next time your out, try not to get so drunk, be polite, act like you want to TALK to the girl not get into her knickers and you may get further. Gentlemen are few and far between it seems. And if a girl is being a b!tch just walk away!

foodie66 wrote: »
    well im only in my mid-late 20's...

Going out on a limb here, but, are you 27 and a half?

I know some girls can be stuck up but going to all those exclusive, pretentious clubs is not really going to help you find a nice girl.

What's the excuse when it's not in a club? When it's just an encounter on the street? A friend of mine works in a store in Grafton St and has told me that girls are head and shoulders above the fellas for being rude, ignorant, abusive etc. It's not just the night/dating scene. It's everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Women are women:) love them all.

What's the excuse when it's not in a club? When it's just an encounter on the street? A friend of mine works in a store in Grafton St and has told me that girls are head and shoulders above the fellas for being rude, ignorant, abusive etc. It's not just the night/dating scene. It's everything.

Bet if he tried Henry Street he wouldn't have that problem!

Bet if he tried Henry Street he wouldn't have that problem!

I've had that problem in Henry Street so I don't see your point. This isn't a "class" problem, it's a gender issue. I live out the northside and see it all around me.

I disagree, I actually would say it is a class issue - not necessarily girls that ARE actually upper class, but who THINK they are, hence thinking they're better than everyone else and not giving said fellas the time of day.

I find though if you're vouched for, i.e. you're a friend of a friend and introduced to girls here, they're generally really nice. I've only ever got hostilities from strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Irish girls are the hottest girls in the world, aint nothing like em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I disagree, I actually would say it is a class issue - not necessarily girls that ARE actually upper class, but who THINK they are, hence thinking they're better than everyone else and not giving said fellas the time of day.

I'm not sure - see the amount of clothes strewn on the floor in Penney's women department vs neat stacks in men's... hardly upper class hunting ground :)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Almost, not quite ;););)

It can't be a class issue if it's based on people who think they're one thing or the other :confused: Some of the worst examples I have seen has been on the bus to Ballymun, involving girls who I doubt have class aspirations. Again as I said working in a busy shop on Grafton Street, the clientele aren't reserved to certain "types".

herya wrote: »
    I'm not sure - see the amount of clothes strewn on the floor in Penney's women department vs neat stacks in men's... hardly upper class hunting ground :)

:pac: I had forgotten that one, my OH has mentioned that, along with the opening of packages etc and then dumping the lot when you decide you don't want them after all. Another thing my OH has mentioned is Ladies toilets.....

Edit: Plus a brother-in-law has a rented apartment, had it leased to 3 women sharing, late twenties, all jobs etc, in the end he had to get professional cleaners in after them, cost way more than their deposit on the place.

I find though if you're vouched for, i.e. you're a friend of a friend and introduced to girls here, they're generally really nice. I've only ever got hostilities from strangers.

Good point and probably would apply to me too. If im honest im wary of strangers these days because there are so many wacko's out there. Its probably just protecting themselves more than bring a b!tch for some girls. But that doesnt mean i would be rude and tell them to fk off (unless they were acting the maggot :D), it just means im not going to go home with them! Its just the way it is these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 AmazingMan

I think most irish women are decent, I mean you do get a fair few of the younger ones acting like spoilt brats or little divas, I don't know if that's what the whole girl power of the spice birds through to katie price as role model has ingrained in them, but they should realise that there is a world of difference between a classy lady and a stuck-up pouting slimy soulless selfish diva, the wimmins should try to fall on the right side of that line, unfortunately a lot of them these days are going the other way and mistaking acting like an egotistical bollox for being a powerful and assertive woman, they may learn one day but heh I'm not waiting or hoping for that transition, I just run a mile whenever I see this type around

THIS!!!!

I don't mind talking to fella's in a pub if they are nice and polite not coming up saying 'Ye'v a grand arse' or learing at you crosseyed half p!ssed! Its not attractive and its annoying especially if they keep hassling you. Why would anyone be bothered talking to anyone like that! :confused:

Yes thats true and the only times I can remember seeing girls beng rude or when I have been rude is when the guy behaves like the above. So maybe the lads complaining here may need to rething their chat up routine, I do honestly believe its very rare for anyone to be rude to someone just because they are chatting them up.

So maybe the lads complaining here may need to rething their chat up routine, I do honestly believe its very rare for anyone to be rude to someone just because they are chatting them up. I don't believe to be honest.

A couple of weeks ago a girl walking in front of me on o'connell st. fell and I just instinctively went and offered her a hand up. She told me to f*** off (in those words - and she wasn't some scumbag either). This has nothing to do with being chatted up by drunken guys, it's an attitude problem that ye're better than everyone else, that no one can say anything to you etc, if they do obviously they're jealous or insecure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Yet another very common trait of Irish women - the hiding of their age. Who give a flying **** what someone's age is, but posting on a forum saying your in your mid-late 20s is hilarious.... absolutely!

A couple of weeks ago a girl walking in front of me on o'connell st. fell and I just instinctively went and offered her a hand up. She told me to f*** off (in those words - and she wasn't some scumbag either). This has nothing to do with being chatted up by drunken guys, it's an attitude problem that ye're better than everyone else, that no one can say anything to you etc, if they do obviously they're jealous or insecure.

Wow, way to generalise!! I'd be delighted if a guy came to help me up if i fell. Embarrassed yes but i'd be happy to know there were some gentlemen around! I can't tell you the amount of times iv gotten the bus with a huge suitcase and have been half strangled trying to get it on and off the bus and a line of guys will just stare at you!! One guy who did help me wasn't Irish.... just saying!!!

Yet another very common trait of Irish women - the hiding of their age. Who give a flying **** what someone's age is, but posting on a forum saying your in your mid-late 20s is hilarious.... absolutely!

Ah FFS, talk about fussy and pedantic! And you accuse women of being nagging! LMAO!

Glad i amused you though, what with my absolutely average looks and all at least I can make fella's laugh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ah FFS, talk about fussy and pedantic! And you accuse women of being nagging! LMAO!

Glad i amused you though, what with my absolutely average looks and all at least I can make fella's laugh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    We all say stupid things on boards, I make my fair share. But why say im in my mid-late 20s. **** it, why not just tell someone you age?

If you want to hide your age from people in everyday life, thats fine, deny the aging process like the vast majority of western society but I just find it very amusing.

Why bring in the 'average looks' bit? Whats that got to do with hiding your age from forum users?

Wow, way to generalise!!

I'm not generalising, I am just saying it is a very common very unattractive trait that exists. Obviously not every Irish woman is like that but a lot. It's down to the mistake of believing being loud, gobby and obnoxious equates to being independent and confident.

Hells Belle there if you review her contributions to the thread pretty much encapsulated what I was on about. Instead of coming on and posting like you have done in a logical way she came on immediately in the defensive, claimed all the guys posting negative comments were basically insecure bitter sad mammy's-boys who were never going to get laid, then went on about how if we have a problem with Irish girls it must be because we're chauvinists and want them barefoot in the kitchen, speaking only when spoken to. All nonsense, but it she lived up to the stereotype of the kind of girl I mean. When called on it she went on to say how 'proud' she was to be educated and employed - is that such an achievement in today's world? Basically she was using those as excuses that meant she could behave any way she saw fit and wasn't it great!

..and THAT is the attitude problem some ( and by some I mean a lot because I have seen it again and again) Irish girls have, an attitude I have yet to come across anywhere else, it's a major form of superiority complex.

I fell in front of a bunch of lads once and all they did was laugh at me. So I guess thats how Irish men behave all the time. Some people have the attitude problem your talking about but it is by no means just an Irish thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Oh no. The rolleyes are out...

Stupid thread is stupid.

We all say stupid things on boards, I make my fair share. But why say im in my mid-late 20s. **** it, why not just tell someone you age?

If you want to hide your age from people in everyday life, thats fine, deny the aging process like the vast majority of western society but I just find it very amusing.

Why bring in the 'average looks' bit? Whats that got to do with hiding your age from forum users?

LOL, why would i deny the aging process?? Especially seeing as i am in my MID-LATE 20's?? Hardly ancient am I? So I didn't want to give my exact age on a message board .... so sue me!!! Says more about you that it stood out to you than it does about me!

Also if you look at the title of the thread then you will find that my 'average looks' comment was very relevant!

I fell in front of a bunch of lads once and all they did was laugh at me. So I guess thats how Irish men behave all the time.

If you said that's how a lot of Irish men behave, than yeah I'd agree with you. I'm not all Irish men so it doesn't bother me. If you say you don't find Irish guys attractive again, doesn't bother me.
    Some people have the attitude problem your talking about but it is by no means just an Irish thing.

Personal experience tells me it is. Have yet to come across it as prevalent anywhere.

Abigayle wrote: »
    Oh no. The rolleyes are out...

Stupid thread is stupid.

Yet your posting on it...

so stupid!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Jeez, I dunno what the big deal is about Irish girls in AH.

As with every nationality of people from around the world, some are gorgeous, some are not, some are really nice people, some are horrible.

In general though I think if you approach Irish girls nicely, wherever it may be, 9 times outta then they are nice back to you. Fair enough sometimes you might discover after 5 minutes that you have nothing in common, no loss, have a good day, bye bye.

Then again if you approach them in a drunken state and make some thinly veiled suggestion of casual secks, what do you expect?

My 2c

Go Irish girls!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement