Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Revolt - Guess whos leading the chant?

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I know the Pamela Izevbekhai subject has been talked to death, but this has rattled my cage.

They were on the rant about how they only had one washing machine and no hot water for a few hours, and they only like the chips?
    "They are cutting costs and using us as scapegoats. We have children, and new-born children in this place and they are cold. The temperature in the rooms is the same as it is out here. We have begged, tried to have meetings with them [management] and they keep giving us political promises that they will do these things. The boilers are not working for two months, I have been here for almost five years and this is an ongoing problem.

Blah blah blah...... Are they seriously saying that they should be exempt from cost cutting meaures when this government is putting their hand in the pocket of every citizen in this state and taking money away from us? Oh please!

They came here in the good times, when the country was loaded with cash. Now that things are tight, they should feel the pinch just as much as the rest of us. tbh, if all they have to complain about is no hot water for a few hours (statment from the government said a faulty part needed replacing) then they have got little to be moaning about. The bank isn't going to knock on their door to take their house away from them because they can't afford the payments are they?

Sorry, but that needed to be said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

don't know the full ins and outs of it but I thought a third paerty private company ran that building on contract for the government and I wonder has their funding actually been cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One washing machine for 200 hundred people
    No hot water for four days (just read it again they have hot water for a few hours a day)
    No heating for last two months

Something has gone wrong somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I am not concerned about this protest. What can/will they do when we and the authorities ignore the protest?

We are not responsible if this is not the Ireland that the people traffic guy in Africa or wherever promised them. They should be grateful for what they were given to be honest. Imagine if, God forbid, Ireland broke down into some nasty civil war and you managed to get out to France. Would you go complain to the French govt about not being given stuff? :rolleyes: Boundless cheek.

BTW - you know something is wrong with the system when somebody has been residing there for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Sorry, I know the Pamela Izevbekhaisubject has been talked to death, but this has rattled my cage.

They were on the rant about how they only had one washing machine and no hot water for a few hours, and they only like the chips?

Blah blah blah...... Are they seriously saying that they should be exempt from cost cutting meaures when this government is putting their hand in the pocket of every citizen in this state and taking money away from us? Oh please!

They came here in the good times, when the country was loaded with cash. Now that things are tight, they should feel the pinch just as much as the rest of us. tbh, if all they have to complain about is no hot water for a few hours (statment from the government said a faulty part needed replacing) then they have got little to be moaning about. The bank isn't going to knock on their door to take their house away from them because they can't afford the payments are they?

Sorry, but that needed to be said.

This post reminds me of an episode of RTE's ''Reeling in the Years'' TV programme where we see the oul' bigot from Galwaymoaning about the fact that a poor traveller woman having the nerve to have accepted a local authority house from the council.... beside HER, and that was 1967! Intolerance is alive and well 40 years later.
    It's a bit annoying all right but at the end of the day, they are human beings...just like you and I. How would any of us like to be in that position. How long would any of us put up with living like that. We are not that badly off just yet that we cannot continue to look after these unfortunates.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

This whole thing just shows the inevitable failures built into the Government's 'Disaster Capitalist' tendencies.

Globe House (or St Lawerence's Industrial School as it was known to Sligo people in days of yore) is a privately contracted business.

If the residents having expressed their grievances to the Landlords don't have any joy they should then contact the relevant Govt Dept.

However, when highlighting the internal micro-management of this privately run (but publicly funded) institution -- when presumably trying to curry further favour -- in light of the current climate which has seen the announcement of the likes of Stiefel closing down and a stringent Budget around the corner, I am afraid, those who constantly profess to the world their sense of entitlement, might bring the old adage, 'beggars can't be choosers', to mind.

To my mind it was quite apparent this was a quickly orchestrated media-stunt replete with childishly drawn up posters and having got attention from local media organs when engaged in casting up the most unconvincing emotive arguments concerning the conditions at Globe House.

I did also find it interesting to note that slap bang in the front of this 'demo' -- was Dearest Pamela of the no Solicitors Representing Her in the Supreme Court, Iz to the fore.

I know that bleeding hearts will consider this puerile -- but of the about 15 demonstrators, considering one of the major complaints was heating, but one chap standing outside wearing shorts!

Boucher Hayes when in Sligo could have done a slot following his once Cause Celebe in pursuit of the missing birth cert!! May he could chase the Supreme Court Judges around country boreens when they hand down their verdict? That I would like to see.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

At the end of the day, if meetings with management have failed then they have every right to protest.

Living in a place that doesn't even have basic provisions like having hot water and heating and only one washing machine for 200 hundred people is not somewhere most people would like to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

At the end of the day, if meetings with management have failed then they have every right to protest.

Living in a place that doesn't even have basic provisions like having hot water and heating and only one washing machine for 200 hundred people is not somewhere most people would like to live.

They are painting a false picture here. Are we realistically expected to believe that they have had only one little domestic washing machine for the entire populus of the site? I very much doubt it, and that is the picture they are trying to paint.

And oh, hells fire, they have no hot water and this has been going on for months - Won't someone think of the Children!

Anyone even considered that their protest is a load of guff to try to get our very own Pameal into the media again? They did a good job of it.

Are we back to the stage where we are blindly believing what a bunch of protesters say over anything else? The Government issued a statement saying that there was no hot water for a few hours which was repaired. but hey, who am I to consider both sides of the story, lets jump on the bandwagaon again and blindly believe the ranting of a bunch of protesters.......

Lets face it, Pamela would never lie about anything..... Oh wait... she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think using Pamela as spokesperson was rather unwise. We have seen plenty of ineffectual protests in Sligo recently, but that's got to be the winner.

Nevertheless, if there is indeed just one washing machine, whether industrial or domestic, that's not enough for a residence that size. And one would assume that the basics of heat and water are provided consistently, barring occasional break-downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Bigmac, your a racist

I don't think so. I think he's just a cranky old man. (No idea whether he is old or not - but he's definitely cranky.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was briefly listening to Ocean fm this morning and someone from Globe House was saying she was very happy living there and that conditions are not as bad as they were saying.

SSSShhhh now, don't be a racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

While I find it very hard to be interested in other peoples washing machines; I am prepared by bitter experience to believe in any rapacity of the Irish Landlording classes. Most of the anti refugee sentiments here are available in any Taxi cab and I loathe to voluntarily engage in a dialogue of the deaf with their proponents.

What does interest me is the window it offers into the modern Irish mind, the complacency, the self regard, the narcissism and sense of invulnerability engendered by our recent and brief fling with prosperity. While you affect to be outraged by this protest you are secretly delighted, enabled to indulge your innate sense of superiority,and for you to be superior there must of course be lesser beings to lord it over.

Mr Big Mac and friends do you know your Good Book? and do you know your history? I doubt it because if you did you would remember

Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye too were strangers in the land of Egypt.
    -- Deuteronomy 10:19

and then keep your mouths shut.

Re A Certain Cyber Troll

Regarding your Good Book of propaganda -- In my opinion, it's simply just another book of Fairy Tales peddled as a tool of the greatest Opiate of the Masses, but keep inhaling its fumes if its what assists you in getting through the day (and more probably night as Brendan Behan would say).

Your Good Book offered as the Word and the Light to Druidic Ireland with tales of Miracles and Redemption, as opposed to logic and good sense. Why don't you try to make you're own mind.

I doubt you have ever even read the Bible or analysed its meanings -- if you did you wouldn't make such simplistic declarations.

Unfortunately for the Bigot's mind, like the eye, reacts with greater light shone upon it by refracting. As the Bard cited concerning interpretation of the Bible to suit hypocritical desires and agendas, the Devil can cite scripture for his own purpose.

You can keep your Bible-Bashing Pontifications for someone who really cares.

Back to this thread, here's one:

What do you do when your washing machine breaks down?
    Give her a slap!:mad:

It could have been worse! I could have told you the Blonde joke!:p

Oh no, I'm a misogynist, now!!! Awaiting self-righteous avalanche:D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Was in Egypt before and hope to head there again in May so no need to be a stranger there. Everyone I met was very friendly some lads even had the cupla focal.

Have to agree with red re the insights to the Irish mind never thought we are as racist as we are and sure paddy is fameous the world over as an emigrant . Some will come back and say we built amerikay etc and worked whereever we went but these people are allowed work here and although we have a worldwide reputation its not for working its for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

+1 on that Ted........never before have we had an opportunity to be racist and now that circumstances have conspired to present that chance, some are grabbing the opportunity with both hands:(:(.

I am hopeful that there is in the German a word that describes the actions of a person who wishing to seem clever achieves the inverse, and if there is not then Shelly River you deserve no less.

Not done trolling?:D

Ha Ha - That is possibly one of the most bizarrely cryptic illogical outpourings I have ever read -- are you sure you're not morphing into David Icke??:o:confused: You should drop him a line.

Why don't you attempt to keep whatever fevered ramblings enter your strange consciousness to the topic of the tread -- in this instance the sad artificial and unconvincing claims may last week at Chapel Hill -- quote Ocean FM: 'we are dying!':cool:

SR, I am ashamed to say that I am as equally indifferent to the protest as I am to conditions at this premises. It being between Landlord-Tenant-Occupant or Landlord-State-Refugee. I am here merely as a student of stupidity.

• Advertisement

This had been ascertained quite a while ago, ref to Post 6 on this Thread for example.

Peace, light and harmony.

I think using Pamela as spokesperson was rather unwise. We have seen plenty of ineffectual protests in Sligo recently, but that's got to be the winner.

Nevertheless, if there is indeed just one washing machine, whether industrial or domestic, that's not enough for a residence that size. And one would assume that the basics of heat and water are provided consistently, barring occasional break-downs.

I agree. I also think people have too easliy jumped on the bandwagon again here taking the word of protesters as gospel, without considering the other side of the arguement. This could, and was confirmed to be an occasional breakdown with regards to the hot water, but people were immeidately raving about the fact that there was no hot water for weeks, and wasn't it so terrible etc.....
    While I find it very hard to be interested in other peoples washing machines; I am prepared by bitter experience to believe in any rapacity of the Irish Landlording classes. Most of the anti refugee sentiments here are available in any Taxi cab and I loathe to voluntarily engage in a dialogue of the deaf with their proponents.

What does interest me is the window it offers into the modern Irish mind, the complacency, the self regard, the narcissism and sense of invulnerability engendered by our recent and brief fling with prosperity. While you affect to be outraged by this protest you are secretly delighted, enabled to indulge your innate sense of superiority,and for you to be superior there must of course be lesser beings to lord it over.

Mr Big Mac and friends do you know your Good Book? and do you know your history? I doubt it because if you did you would remember

and then keep your mouths shut.

Why thankyou for that remarkable insight into my psyche there red. I feel such a sense of enlightenment now....
    10:19? I'll remember that the next time I'm bored in a hotel and find the gideons bible in the drawer...........:rolleyes:

Now, bible bashing aside, I do know my history, so please explain how were we strangers in ireland historically? Weren't we the ones invaded by the engilsh and the normans?
    Wexler12 wrote: »
    Bigmac, your a racist
    Post reported - Knobhead!

I don't think so. I think he's just a cranky old man. (No idea whether he is old or not - but he's definitely cranky.)

Less of the old thankyouverymuchindeed. I'm only 27!

statler_waldorf.jpg

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I

Why thankyou for that remarkable insight into my psyche there red. I feel such a sense of enlightenment now....
    10:19? I'll remember that the next time I'm bored in a hotel and find the gideons bible in the drawer...........:rolleyes:

Now, bible bashing aside, I do know my history, so please explain how were we strangers in ireland historically? Weren't we the ones invaded by the engilsh and the normans?

I will try and explain and as slowly and simply as I can. God is saying to the Israelites as a people to be nice to foreigners because the Israelites where once foreigners in another peoples country and they ought to remember that the experience was not always very nice. I used this a metaphor for the fact that Irish people too were and still are foreigners in other peoples countries and we too should know that to be away from home is not always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Bigmac, your a racist

just because some one doesn't have your views doesn't make him/her racist.

I didn't see any racist comment.

A lose statement like this is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I will try and explain and as slowly and simply as I can. God is saying to the Israelites as a people to be nice to foreigners because the Israelites where once foreigners in another peoples country and they ought to remember that the experience was not always very nice. I used this a metaphor for the fact that Irish people too were and still are foreigners in other peoples countries and we too should know that to be away from home is not always nice.

And a lot of racism is done with the bible in hand. Even based on the bible.

Not to mention the wars, violence and intollerance.

What has that got to do with people saying they are "dying in there!!!" , don't have a washing machine, and have no heat or hot water? Nothing to do with race whatsoever.

What has that got to do with people saying they are "dying in there!!!" , don't have a washing machine, and have no heat or hot water? Nothing to do with race whatsoever.

It has nothing to do with imminent mortality, domestic applicances, ambient temperature of air and water or race, and I open to correction but I do not think I adverted to any of those issues in that particular post.

I'm not religous, so maybe someone can find me a passage from the bible that equates to this: :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 seancoistine

Arrieve in AUstralia as an asylum seeker and you spend your time in a detention camp with barbed wire.

Break out and get caught and your are out.
    The public debate on asylum/emigration has been owned by dogmatic liberals, any dissent is shouted down with 'racist'. These people will have to be confronted with their records. They have imposed a cost on the country of hundreds of millions per year.

Advertisement