Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Revolt - Guess whos leading the chant?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If we can't look after our own, why should we look after the rest! only when we get our own house in order should we then extend the hand of charity. We spend hundreds of millions in foreign aid, yet thanks to our mismanaged little country we have thousands of Irish families living in poverty with many others rapidly heading towards it. It's an old Irish failing - 'lets show how wonderful we are', we'll bend over backwards for the foreign national and treat our own like ****e. The days of trying to look good are surely over now, charity must begin at home. The days of posturing for the cameras must end, so lets grow up. unfortunately we might not get the same 'Kudos' or PR mileage out of looking after the 'oul' paddies. As a former colony ourselves we really owe nobody nothing, we have no collective guilt/debt owed, unlike the French, British, etc, etc. indeed it was the 'poor Irish' that built America, Canada, Australia, and Britain to name but a few. They slept in stables, on railway tracks and in building sites. They knew nobody owed them anything and they had nothing except for their honor, integrity, seat and blood. Maybe it's time people from other nations learned a little from this ethos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

If we can't look after our own, why should we look after the rest! only when we get our own house in order should we then extend the hand of charity. We spend hundreds of millions in foreign aid, yet thanks to our mismanaged little country we have thousands of Irish families living in poverty with many others rapidly heading towards it. It's an old Irish failing - 'lets show how wonderful we are', we'll bend over backwards for the foreign national and treat our own like ****e. The days of trying to look good are surely over now, charity must begin at home. The days of posturing for the cameras must end, so lets grow up. unfortunately we might not get the same 'Kudos' or PR mileage out of looking after the 'oul' paddies. As a former colony ourselves we really owe nobody nothing, we have no collective guilt/debt owed, unlike the French, British, etc, etc. indeed it was the 'poor Irish' that built America, Canada, Australia, and Britain to name but a few. They slept in stables, on railway tracks and in building sites. them anything and they had nothing except for their honor, integrity, seat and blood. Maybe it's time people from other nations learned a little from this ethos!

''we have thousands of Irish families living in poverty''

What a sad parochial hypocritical post this is. How do YOU define 'poverty'? Poverty in Ireland does not equal real poverty in Africa or what we went through during our nineteenth century famine. What we are going through today is nothing compared with what our ancestors suffered and unfortunates today in many other parts of the earth are going through.

If we can't look after our own, why should we look after the rest!

This post would not be out of place in North America back in the last century.

This was common mantra in places like New York, Boston, Newfoundland that the poor Irish had to listen to (whoin your own words 'built America, Canada, Australia, and Britain to name but a few. They slept in stables, on railway tracks and in building sites'. ) on disembarking from the flee-ridden coffin ships barely alive. That, my friend, was real poverty.

When you are stuffing your face with turkey and Christmas pudding in a few weeks time you might reflect on this.

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I'm quite sceptical about the subjects of the protest. One of the biggest things mentioned is the lack of hot water. There are two stories, the residents say the water was gone for days, the Department of Justice say it was gone for a matter of hours and was rectified as soon as the management were informed. I've got to say I believe the Department of Justice on this one, surely if the situation was as bad as claimed there would be more than 1 in 6 of the residents outside? I assume they were all on site (perhaps foolishly) since I would hope that if they had jobs to take them away for the day, that they would be renting their own accomodation?

As for the heating issue - buy a heater! If you can afford to run, insure and tax a car you can afford 20euro for a cheap electric heater. Not the most efficient of things, but it does the job.

So on to the washing machine situation - once more I fail to see the problem. The university accomodation I lived in for a year had 4 washing machines for approximately 1,000 residents, all of them adults. Occassionally you had to wait an hour to get to use one. That was it. While one for 200 people is not ideal perhaps, it shouldn't be a difficulty once people are willing to take turns.

As for this beautiful complaint:
    Other residents from Iran, Pakistan and Iraq said that the food was terrible and that the only thing they liked were the chips.
    Perhaps someone can clarify for me - do the residents have no access to the kitchens themselves? If not, why not? Surely if the food is a problem, a simple request to be allowed prepare your own food solves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

talk about an own goal. Surely these people must realise the effect that rightly or wrongly the Pamela case has had on the confidence that "Irish people" have with respect to the validity of their asylum seeker claims.

The sad thing is because of the fishy goings on with regards the Pamela case and that she has been portrayed as to be lying about her circumstances that the general public now view ALL similar claims with a large degree of scepticism.

To my mind this has been the main outcome with regards this case - ASs have now been tarred with the same brush and because her supporters have fought so vehemently to defend her that they have painted themselves into a corner and now can never say that maybe she was lying.

Because of this the credability of her supporters will now be questioned in future cases - such as this one.

Pamela is seen as an exaggerater and a bit of a bluffer - and by having her at the front of this protest the other protestors will possibly be seen in the same light. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

...that the general public now view ALL similar claims with a large degree of scepticism.

I don't.

• Advertisement

I don't.

well I have read a lot of your posts and I would put you into the category of person that has flushed their cred down the pan by defending lies.

Also in my experience you are not reflective of general feeling around Sligo towards Pamela.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

well I have read a lot of your posts and I would put you into the category of person that has flushed their cred down the pan by defending lies.

Also in my experience you are not reflective of general feeling around Sligo towards Pamela.

"Flushed my cred down the pan". I had CRED?! Who knew..

I didn't defend lies. I defended a person who I believed at the time to be telling the truth.

I am also not bothered what the "general feeling around Sligo" is, I'll make up my own mind.

"Flushed my cred down the pan". I had CRED?! Who knew..

I didn't defend lies. I defended a person who I believed at the time to be telling the truth.

I am also not bothered what the "general feeling around Sligo" is, I'll make up my own mind.

fair enough.

Advertisement