Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TIFF/jpeg??

• 12-11-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi all - I was hoping you could help me. I am ordering some prints of photos from the National Photographic Archives, and there is an option to receive either TIFF or Jpg images.

I am getting them as a xmas present - I hope to print and frame them. What option is best for me to get - TIFF or Jpeg?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

tiffs are uncompressed files so technically they are better. in reality it may not make any difference to the prints depending on their size

but as they give you the option ask for a tiff. seems strange they'd give away the digital file when you ask for a print?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The TIFF is a lossless compression, so all the data is there. JPEG is a lossy compression, so the smaller the file the more data is lost.

If size is an issue (ohh arrr missus!) then take the JPEG's but otherwise go for the TIFF's. You can create JPEG's from the TIFF's (assuming you have rights to do so)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

TIFFs can also be 16bit so they can contain a lot more information than 8bit JPEGs.
    You have no idea of the level of compression in the JPEGs they might send you so take the uncertainity out of the equation by getting TIFFs.

I would also check where you want to get them printed that they support TIFF. It would be odd if they didn't but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you're printing small (A3 and under), then go for jpg.

If you're printing large (A3 and larger) then go for tiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

They are costly, but once you confirm they are for personal use you choose either a TIFF or Jpeg (Same price) and they send you them on CD:
    http://www.nli.ie/en/copying-services.aspx

First time doing this so I'll report back once I get them, thanks for the advice, I'll get TIFF :)

Edit: Just saw Paul's comment above - I want three, as a triptych, so it will be A4 or smaller..... Paul - why Jpeg for smaller images??

• Advertisement

For the smaller print images, you generally don't need that high quality of tiff.

When you print large, then the quality becomes very important.

In many cases, you can print a very small jpg (under 1mb in size) up to A4 without too much problem. Obviously, the better the quality, the better it is, but only up to a point.

If you're printing a 6x4 print (standard small photo), then using a tiff is overkill. But, when you're printing A1, then the jpg may be lacking, while the tiff is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Thanks Paulw, so if they are the same price I may aswell go ahead and get TIFF in case a member of my family wants it large? (It's an old pic of their hometown, they may want to display it v.large in their pub or something if they know I have it)

What I'm trying to ask is, if I get a TIFF and print it small, will it be worse quality than a Jpeg?

If you ever want large, then you're better off getting the tiff.

You can always convert the tiff to jpg, if needed.

tiff will never make a worse quality print than jpg, but it's just overkill. Compare it to using a jet engine in a mini. :D

Also, just FYI, displaying it in a pub isn't personal use, that would be considered commercial use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Personally I dont think it will lose quality in a small print, I could be wrong, I tend to print from jpeg up to 10x12 but I always use tiff when printing large on canvas, something I learnt from Steve. Obviously Steve will be able to explain ins and outs but I think it is pretty much covered above, I would recommend using him for your finished product though as he can print and mount them together and have them ready for you pretty quickly at a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

LOL at all the overexplanation! The first reply answered the question. Short answer: get the TIFF. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Education, education, education.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DotOrg wrote: »
    but as they give you the option ask for a tiff. seems strange they'd give away the digital file when you ask for a print?
    as the photos are (i assume) copyright free, and it's a tax-funded organisation, there isn't the profit motive there possibly. plus, you may find that the contents of the archive belong to 'the people of ireland'.

i assume the jpg and TIFF files are of identical resolution?

Advertisement