Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday night boxing

Options
  • 12-11-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Next Saturday will see an boxing promotion at UL. Local man Andy Lee will take on french boxer Affif Belghecham. The undercard is also quite interesting and will feature another local man, Wille "Big Bang" Casey. Willie is a member of the well known Casey family from Southhill and undoubtedly many of the clan will be along to support him. Not sure who Willies opponent is but he would be well advised to have a helicopter on standby to make a quick escape afterwards. The UL security staff should be in for a fun night also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Are you serious??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

yes I am

read about it here

feck!Is this guy a bad egg too?

I suppose he is a decent lad, if I attended the fight though it's not him I would be worried about. Imagine sitting in the middle of 1000 Casey for an hour or more.

Well they have such a bad name for trouble and crime hard to think he's decent.No doubt the caseys will wreck the place after drinking like they have done in loads of venues and pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Willie Casey is a decent guy, and there has been no trouble at his fights before he turned to the paid ranks and none in the one fight he has had so far as a pro.

The lad has worked bloody hard to get to where he is right now, and he probably has had to work a bit harder than most, as he has had to overcome many people's preconcieved views on him just because he comes from a traveller background.

The two on the thread before me are bang out of order, especially as neither are going to the fight on Saturday, and by the sounds of it, have never seen Willie fight in the ring before, and they could not have heard of any problems at any of his other fights, because there was no trouble at any of them.

I have crossed paths with him on a number of occasions, through my own involvement in boxing, and found him to be a determined and nice bloke.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Willie Casey is a decent guy,

exactly what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

People knock the travellers for all sorts of reasons (some of them valid I have to admit).

However, if this guy is making it as a sportsman he deserves the total backing of the people. Let him be a role model to young traveller kids, show them what work, focus, and discipline can do.

I'll only get to watch on telly but best of luck to him and Andy on the night.

so it will be on the tele? Great!

mike kelly wrote: »
    exactly what I said.

No you said that you suppose he is a decent lad, and then went on to comment about if you were at the fight that it was not him you would be worried about, and to imagine sitting in the middle of 1000 Caseys for an hour or more.

You also made a comment about the UL security being in for a fun night, and that his opponent should have a helicopter ready to get away in.

If you thought he was a decent guy and if you have been to any fight that he was involved in, then you would know that what you said is pure rubbish, as there has been no problems at his fights.

If you have never seen his one fight as a pro which was in the Killarney INEC, and have never been to any of his amatuer fights, then how can you even comment on what would be in the crowd?

It strikes me that you have not been to any local amatuer fight nights, because if you had, then you would know how ridiculous the idea of loads of Caseys, or anyone else for that matter, turning up to cause hassle is.

Just because the lad has Casey as a surname, does not mean that he will have troublemakers who share the same surname in the crowd. Yes some of those that he is related to are trouble, but Willie and his direct family should not be painted with the same brush.

Seems to me that this thread was started to try and get a reaction.

I guess you will be sitting at home watching it on the telly, now that you know it is on tv, hoping to see the Caseys cause trouble on national tv.

Jamie Power from Limerick is also on the undercard. Why didn't you start a thread about him? He is originally from Norwood park, and will have people from there and surrounding areas like Garryowen at the venue to shout him on. Maybe a few of them might be rough and be out to cause trouble too?

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    People knock the travellers for all sorts of reasons (some of them valid I have to admit).

However, if this guy is making it as a sportsman he deserves the total backing of the people. Let him be a role model to young traveller kids, show them what work, focus, and discipline can do.

I'll only get to watch on telly but best of luck to him and Andy on the night.

That's just it. He already has been. He went to school, ok only as far as fifth year, but he was the first kid in his direct family to do so. Since him, many of his brothers and sisters have gone on to do the leaving cert and some are in college now.

He has always spoken well in any interviews, and always stresses the need to work hard and to stay out of trouble.

The lad will never scale the heights of boxing, I don't think anyone will think that, especially as he is coming into the pro ranks so late in his life. But If he can make a living out of it whilst he is there, then fair play to him.

Once he hangs up his gloves, he can then stay in the sport as he has some of his qualifications to be a boxing coach already gotten, and that will stand to him if he decides to go further within that side of the sport .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Arsonist wrote: »
    not sure its on tv due to football but not sure what time the fights r starting

I think only Andy's fight will be on TV as the coverage starts at 10:30 approx on RTE, but I could be wrong. What time does the first fight start?

Best off luck to all the local guys involved!! :D Come on Limerick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's an important soccer match, but I think RTE in general need to spread the sports budget out a bit.

Individual sports are as valid as team sports. Don't forget - our boxers have acheived way more internationally than any Irish association football team. If we want a future crop, they need role models and those role models must be visible to kids.

I just assumed they would show it. Sorry if I mislead anyone. I hope I'm not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Personally, I wouldn't feel one bit comfortable sharing a room with a collection of Caseys. Given that it's in a room hosting a boxing match and the highly charged atmosphere it generates, even more so.

It's great that the young Caseys are doing so well in the educational system. Now if they would just stop terrorising elderly people in Southhill that would be mighty altogether.

It's great that the young Caseys are doing so well in the educational system. Now if they would just stop terrorising elderly people in Southhill that would be mighty altogether.

Would that be the Caseys from Keyes parks that you are talking about now? Or would it be the Casey family that live in O'Malley park? Or would it be one of the Casey families that live in the clonlong halting site in Southill? The point is that there are loads of Casey families, some have been involved in loads of crime, but some have not.

Maybe you should actually figure out which of the Caseys that you are worried about, before just assuming that Willie Casey and his family are the ones that cause the hassle in Limerick.

Seems to me that you are more interested in talking about the Caseys and tarring all of them with the one brush, than you are about the boxing at the weekend.

Maybe they should just cancel the whole thing because the Caseys will ruin it. :rolleyes:

Strange how none of the other times when he was fighting that none of the crime Caseys were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Edit: not going to bother getting into it.

Would that be the Caseys from Keyes parks that you are talking about now? Or would it be the Casey family that live in O'Malley park? Or would it be one of the Casey families that live in the clonlong halting site in Southill? The point is that there are loads of Casey families, some have been involved in loads of crime, but some have not.

Maybe you should actually figure out which of the Caseys that you are worried about, before just assuming that Willie Casey and his family are the ones that cause the hassle in Limerick.

Seems to me that you are more interested in talking about the Caseys and tarring all of them with the one brush, than you are about the boxing at the weekend.

Maybe they should just cancel the whole thing because the Caseys will ruin it. :rolleyes:

Strange how none of the other times when he was fighting that none of the crime Caseys were there.

I'm talking about the Caseys from Clonlong. My apologies if Willie is actually from another Casey family. I'm sure that are are quite a number of Casey families in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Lads, this is turning into handbags at high noon! Who cares where he's from!! He's doing a good thing and has a tough fight ahead of him on Saturday night. We should all be supporting him on Saturday. If you want to go to the fight then do. If you don't want to go to the fight, then don't go!! I, for one, will be watching it in the pub with a cold pint!! :D

I'm talking about the Caseys from Clonlong. My apologies if Willie is actually from another Casey family. I'm sure that are are quite a number of Casey families in Limerick.

Willie's family lives in Clonlong, along with a number of other Casey families that are related.

I have no doubt that there are Caseys causing trouble in Southill, but I would lay money that Willie and his siblings are not the ones causing that hassle.

From spending quite a bit of time in the Southill area at the ABC there, I would go as far as to say that it is the kids of the O'Malley Park Caseys (related to the Clonlong Caseys and to the Keyes Park Caseys) that cause most of it.

I know I got annoyed with you in this thread, but it was because I felt you were trying to make more of an issue about potential trouble based on a surname than you were trying to talk about the upcoming bout. I meant no offence towards you personally in what I was saying.

Also because I know how bad some of the people with the Casey surname are in that area, and I do not want him to get tarred with that brush. He had no choice in who he is related to, but the way he dedicated himself to boxing to avoid ending up, as in being involved in crime, like some of those who share his surname is commendable.

I have seen Willie in bursts over the last 15 years, in bursts because I was not living in Ireland the whole time during that period, as I would see him in training at two of the clubs in Limerick, the Southill ABC and Lady Of Lourdes ABC, plus he popped out to where I was in St Francis ABC a couple of times, and I can safely say that Willie has grown into being a pretty well rounded guy who is very proud to be a traveller, but he does not expect special treatment because of that fact, and he is determined to make the most of his chance at boxing.

He is also a guy who is fiercely defensive of the Southill name, and one of the big things for him about turning pro, is to be able to raise enough money to buy a house outright in Southill for his OH and his four kids. At 27 he will only have a finite amount of time to earn that money from boxing so I would not begrudge him the shot at his dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

No you said that you suppose he is a decent lad, and then went on to comment about if you were at the fight that it was not him you would be worried about, and to imagine sitting in the middle of 1000 Caseys for an hour or more.

You also made a comment about the UL security being in for a fun night, and that his opponent should have a helicopter ready to get away in.

If you thought he was a decent guy and if you have been to any fight that he was involved in, then you would know that what you said is pure rubbish, as there has been no problems at his fights.

If you have never seen his one fight as a pro which was in the Killarney INEC, and have never been to any of his amatuer fights, then how can you even comment on what would be in the crowd?

It strikes me that you have not been to any local amatuer fight nights, because if you had, then you would know how ridiculous the idea of loads of Caseys, or anyone else for that matter, turning up to cause hassle is.

Just because the lad has Casey as a surname, does not mean that he will have troublemakers who share the same surname in the crowd. Yes some of those that he is related to are trouble, but Willie and his direct family should not be painted with the same brush.

Seems to me that this thread was started to try and get a reaction.

I guess you will be sitting at home watching it on the telly, now that you know it is on tv, hoping to see the Caseys cause trouble on national tv.

Jamie Power from Limerick is also on the undercard. Why didn't you start a thread about him? He is originally from Norwood park, and will have people from there and surrounding areas like Garryowen at the venue to shout him on. Maybe a few of them might be rough and be out to cause trouble too?

ok first off the other posters have really good points. this family is TROUBLE. im not in anyway insinuating that willie or his mom or dad are because i dont know. but this family is scum. everywhere they go they cause trouble. they beat up old women in cars outside graveyards. burn houses down. shoot and kill. beat guys up outside pubs with baseball bats.

i will not be going out to see the fight and would advise against my friends or family going as i fear it would be unsafe. as i said willie could be the nicest bloke youd ever meet but i would take the chance.

jamie was mentioned being on the undercard in the last thread.

any word on who else is fighting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Baldie wrote: »
    Lads, this is turning into handbags at high noon! Who cares where he's from!! He's doing a good thing and has a tough fight ahead of him on Saturday night. We should all be supporting him on Saturday. If you want to go to the fight then do. If you don't want to go to the fight, then don't go!! I, for one, will be watching it in the pub with a cold pint!! :D

is it def on tv because the irish match aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

christ lads get over it....why does every big even in this city have to be dragged into the dirt by people...ive attended andys last two fights in ul....plenty of the caseys at both fights not one bit of bother... there is a couple of the younger members of the travelling community recently started using the gym in ul and there alot better mannered than some of the pigs that use the place...your last name doesnt define the person you are....

The reason the Caseys have such a bad name is easy,just google all the crimes they have done and thats what they got caught for,not the stuff they got away with.

Someone here said there was 3 different families,but kess73 said that the clonlong,keyes park and o malley park Caseys are all related

Im sorry willie could be a good guy,but the bad ones will jumping on his bandwagon.Just google some of their crimes and ask any decent people in the area

christ lads get over it....why does every big even in this city have to be dragged into the dirt by people...ive attended andys last two fights in ul....plenty of the caseys at both fights not one bit of bother... there is a couple of the younger members of the travelling community recently started using the gym in ul and there alot better mannered than some of the pigs that use the place...your last name doesnt define the person you are....

Ive yet to meet a good mannered traveller,ask anyone working in pubs in town what the young Casey crowd are like.No doubt their getting free gym membership under some bullcrap community scheme

so the Caseys do attend boxing matches. Good to know that.
    With all due respect, the only way you would know there was any bother would be if it happened to you. If two of the Caseys stopped you and demaned your wallet, or just hit you a slap, what would you do? Fight them? tell the Guards?
    and if it happened on the middle of O Connell street no one would see anything

Ive yet to meet a good mannered traveller,ask anyone working in pubs in town what the young Casey crowd are like.No doubt their getting free gym membership under some bullcrap community scheme

Yeah all travellers are bad mannered, everyone from Moyross or Southill must be trouble. Actually if we are going by stereotypes you must be a criminal or drug user because you are from Limerick.

Nobody has said that a good number of the Caseys in Limerick are not trouble.

I have defended Willie Casey and his immediate family, not all the Caseys in Limerick. The Caseys that were at the last two Andy Lee fights were mostly there through the boxing clubs, and they will cause no hassle at any boxing event in Limerick, otherwise they know that is that for those involved with the local clubs.

I hope you lot make just as big a fuss when the next Munster game rolls around, because there are a couple of high profile Limerick criminals from the Weston area that attend a lot of Munster games and Young Munster games also. Best not go to those games either lads, god knows what might happen.

I hope you will be moving out of Raheen as well Vamp, because I know you won't want to live there anymore as there is part of the Casey family living in there too. Not a million miles from Raheen foodstore.

I just cannot believe a fighter who will be on the untelevised part of the show has people talking more about who might be in the crowd than what will be happening in the ring.

Advertisement