Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would a free / rental bicycle scheme work in Ennis?

• 12-11-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Since there is no proper urban public transport could this be the answer? The Dublin scheme seems to be a success despite the controversial deal with JC Decaux.

I subscribed a few weeks ago to DB's and have been on them. Drop off points could be located at the Height, Lifford, Cathedral and all the roads leading into town.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Since there is no proper urban public transport could this be the answer? The Dublin scheme seems to be a success despite the controversial deal with JC Decaux.

I subscribed a few weeks ago to DB's and have been on them. Drop off points could be located at the Height, Lifford, Cathedral and all the roads leading into town.
    I would really doubt it work. Ennis is not exactly the most cycle friendly town. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I always thought that schools should run something like this, would be nice and handy, 4 different drop off points, 7 if you include primary schools.

I think Ennis would be perfect, close down the town to cars, pedestrianize Abbey St. from the Queens (access to car park and Cusack Park), O'Connell St. to Old Ground, Market past Xtravision, have a "loop" around town, it would be perfect for bikes then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'd say that was going a little far. I live about a mile out of town and about half the time I go there on foot. When the weather is bad (and it often is) I take the car. You pedestrianize the whole town center and everything will move out to those characterless industrial estates.

Every try and bring more than a small bit of shopping on a bicycle? It can be tricky.

I'd say if it pays for itself then the council would be stupid not to try it. And whatever about it being dangerous cycling in Ennis (I don't think it really is) it's a thousand times worse in Dublin and the scheme seems to be working well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You'd need a large urban sprawl for it to work. Ennis ain't big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Most of the bikes would find themselves up on the back of a famous flatbed truck in town. They would be stripped of all the non-metal componants and turned into god knows what.

No... Ennis people would not take to the idea. First of all, we dont have a cycle lane network. Secondly, we dont have the "Dutch" cluture when it comes to practical ways of getting around... a bike to most people never enters their mind, thus they stick to their steel coffins and walking.

So building a cycle lane network would just be a waste of energy as you need to create the demand for bike use in the first place. Rent a bikes are great, but only in large metropolitan areas where it is feesible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would put the Dublin system as relatively confined. A system in town could circle say two miles out each road leading into town. It would certainly give taxi drivers a run for their money. :D

These bikes have a small basket for carrying stuff.
    Most of the bikes would find themselves up on the back of a famous flatbed truck in town. They would be stripped of all the non-metal components and turned into god knows what.
    Not with the amount of CCTV around town, I'm sure all bike stations would be situated in full view of them and monitored 24/7 on top of that all Dublin Bikes are fitted with security screws and each one is Etagged, I'm not sure of the range but the locking system can identify them.

No... Ennis people would not take to the idea. First of all, we don't have a cycle lane network. Secondly, we don't have the "Dutch" culture when it comes to practical ways of getting around... a bike to most people never enters their mind, thus they stick to their steel coffins and walking..
    Thats what they thought in Dublin, anything offered free people will jump at, The council would have to discourage cars by putting restrictions in certain streets around town.

The only thing I could see against the scheme would be the lack of advertising potential for the company fronting the deal. Apart from a few mobile phone service providers, maybe Micky D's I don't think they would get the same following as in Dublin, it would have to be more funded my the council and that would be a fat chance. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Agree with this, Ennis is too small. I cycle around Ennis a lot, traffic can be bad and the streets too narrow, it results in pedestrians overtaking me a lot as I wait for cars to move on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ennis is definitely too small for a scheme like this, and not just the town. As an urban are, it stretches to maybe two miles outside the town centre, give or take. That's a 30 minute walk, tops. Not viable, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

Ennis Town Council have recently put up signposts around the town for a "Historic Town" type of tour...check it out on

http://www.ennistowncouncil.ie/newsandpr/HistoricTown.html

I think you are meant to walk the 4 routes but it might be a better idea to hire out some bikes ..i am not that fit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Like something that they've got going on in Amsterdam?

We talked about this is Geography class last year actually. The teacher said that the bicycles would probably end up floating in the river...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Like something that they've got going on in Amsterdam?

We talked about this is Geography class last year actually. The teacher said that the bicycles would probably end up floating in the river...
    TBH there was horror predictions for DB and many believed that some would end up in the Liffey within weeks including myself.

However two months on and Dublin has been one of the most successful cities in Europe operating the scheme so much so that there is talk of expanding it. These bikes won't float in the Fergus, they weigh an absolute ton and only have three gears so there would't exactly be a market for stripping them.

The locking / docking system they use is superb in that they can't be nicked from the racks. People who hire them are going to be extra careful with them not to loose their deposit of e150.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Not a hope of this working in Ennis haha,shocking idea :eek:

Advertisement