Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV around the NUIG area, on public roads

Options
  • 12-11-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted 2 cameras mounted on a steel pole around NUIG... portable jobbies. One is mounted at Wards Shop, facing to the entrance of NUIG there (the pedestrian entrance beside the canal) and the other one is accross from AIB at Newcastle, facing the Distillary Road entrance.

Anyone know what the story is with these? I presume they belong to NUIG?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Haven't they been there years?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Haven't they been there years?

Nope, these have gone up recently'ish. They're a temp thing, mounted on a pole, with a big box (for battery/recording I assume) on the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Most likely for traffic flow. I'm sure you've noticed the "cables" on the Salmon Weir bridge and on Newcastle Rd. for testing the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah there seems to be a massive traffic flow survey done, with cables on lots of roads. Also someone posted about surveyors on the road from Moycullen a while back iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Hopefully they're strengthening the case for the bypass being built by counting traffic volumes within the city. Not sure how that would involve Moycullen road though?...although I suppose it depends on where on that road they were counting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Those cables are everywhere! I've never seen so many down at one time anywhere before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

They're also counting students in college! At all the main building entrances there's people with a line of about 6 metal clickers.... clicking certain ones depending who passes.... I don't like it. :mad:

gary82 wrote: »
    They're also counting students in college! At all the main building entrances there's people with a line of about 6 metal clickers.... clicking certain ones depending who passes.... I don't like it. :mad:

What? In the NUIG?

Give an example of a building that's doing it. I must see this.

This has nothing to do with traffic flow (But I do know the black things on the roads you're talking about)

These cameras are not pointing onto main roads, they're pointing down Distillary Road (OK I know cars drive up/down there), and the pedestrianised road accross from Wards corner shop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

What? In the NUIG?

Give an example of a building that's doing it. I must see this.

It wasn't today the 12th but they were outside the canteen doors and the library and also outside the main concourse doors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

They've installed CCTV Cameras on many floors in GMIT as well this semester.

Preparing for the upcoming riots :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

hehe saw the girl with the clickers there beside the cloak room. hilarious...we were thinking of walking in and out of doors over and over to screw the numbers....but we didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gary82 wrote: »
    I don't like it. :mad:

Yeah, it's really horrible that anyone should be collecting actual statistics, which can be used as a basis for decisions about what resources should be used for.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

There is one mounted on No. 8 Newcastle Road, pointing towards the entrance to NUIG opposite the post office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Just spotted 2 cameras mounted on a steel pole around NUIG... portable jobbies. One is mounted at Wards Shop, facing to the entrance of NUIG there (the pedestrian entrance beside the canal) and the other one is accross from AIB at Newcastle, facing the Distillary Road entrance.

Anyone know what the story is with these? I presume they belong to NUIG?

John, did it look like this?
    Click thumbnails for full size images
    th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjUuanBn.jpg th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMuanBn.jpg

This camera was on the Quincentennial Bridge just before the Ocean Race.

Those cables are everywhere! I've never seen so many down at one time anywhere before!
    Yeah I have never seen so many either. I think I remember reading in Commuting & Transport a while back that a similarly huge survey was being done in Limerick.

It'll be interesting to see the results of the traffic counts.

Does anyone know if there is a traffic counter on Bishop O'Donnell/Seamus Quirke Road? I don't think there is which is very surprising considering it is the one road where an upgrade at some eventual stage is a possibility.

aido179 wrote: »
    hehe saw the girl with the clickers there beside the cloak room. hilarious...we were thinking of walking in and out of doors over and over to screw the numbers....but we didn't

Saw these people counters as well. Was thinking it would be funny to gather a big group of people and run past at the same time; the counter person wouldn't have a hope of counting everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I saw a camera just like that outside Trinity in Dublin recently, any connection?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with traffic flow (But I do know the black things on the roads you're talking about)

These cameras are not pointing onto main roads, they're pointing down Distillary Road (OK I know cars drive up/down there), and the pedestrianised road accross from Wards corner shop

When I saw the camera on the Quincentennial Bridge during the summer I presumed it was counting traffic but after reading this post it has crossed my mind that all of these cameras could be counting pedestrians/cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its a pity they couldn't have done their major traffic survey before fucking up the Monivea Road/Huntsman junction... :rolleyes:

Kev - Exact same as those pics, yeah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Saw the same camera's at the gmit roundabout a couple of months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Something similar near the border of Shantalla merging to Rahoon Rd.

big-brother-is-watching-you1.jpg

Advertisement