Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retailers braced for major slump in Christmas sales

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Scofflaw wrote: »
    One for the economists, really, but I don't think you can pay a premium for Irish goods or services without encouraging inefficiencies.
    Yes that must be true.

But then again having retail staff, for example, on the dole isn't very efficient either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

For anyone looking for anything, but Id imagine particularyly alcohol in the run up to Christmas, check out Dealhunter.ie, Sainsburys are currently offering 2 crates of beer or cider for £15, once you purchase over £20, you pay 10% commision on the total, with free delivery to Dublin! I went up there recently and will not be doing it again, time, toles, traffic, fuel etc! but with Dealhunter, you litterally dont have to leave your couch to get the amazing prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

taconnol wrote: »
    Yes that must be true.

But then again having retail staff, for example, on the dole isn't very efficient either.

i can see what your getting at alright, but price in the current climate has to be based upon value for money. If people were ahown that such goods were value for money, regardless of price, then the purchase would make sense. If you can't show value, then people won't purchase your product and but the cheaper alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

they deserve it they ripped us all off for the last 10 year and i would call on all consumers to buy just what they need and teach the irish retail one last lesson this xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

taconnol wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this issue up again but I'd rather not start a new thread.

My question is about competitiveness vs supporting the local/Irish economy. As I understand it, the more money spent by Irish consumers the better for our economy. But then again, this can lead to inefficiencies in the market (ie high, uncompetitive prices). So is there any sort of maximum premium that the consumer can consider to balance out these ideas?

I read an article about a town in the US where Borders wanted to open a large store. The local bookshops in the town commissioned a report that showed that of every $100 spent in their shops, c.60% (can't remember exactly how much) would stay in the local economy but for every $100 spent in Borders, only $20 (or so) would stay in the local economy.

So how much of a premium is it worth paying for Irish goods to support the local economy, but also ensure you're not encouraging inefficiencies?

I'd have to say none.

It may sound ridiculous but I reckon we'll have to damage our country more in order to set things straight in the long run.

Continuing to pay high Irish prices is feeding the problem and not the solution in my opinion.
    By the looks of things the govt. will never have the sense to lower Vat and other such rates in order to be more competetive. They will continue to increase Vat, tax income and just about everything else they can.
    If people head North, and the Republics exchequer is hit, they will incease these taxes again in order to make up the difference.
    So instead of being loyal to those who continue to shop in the Republic, they are infact, ripping them off as gratitude for their business.

I think everybody has to continue to hunt for bargains across the border and hopefully when the country is actually, 100% on its knees, the govt. will cop on and change their strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Given the amount of muppets I saw running around Dundrum Shopping Centre yesterday like headless chickens, there is still obviously way to much money around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Given the amount of muppets I saw running around Dundrum Shopping Centre yesterday like headless chickens, there is still obviously way to much money around!

Yesterday was Sunday, its family day out. Watch what bags they are carrying rather what Sunday lunch they are having, question is are they really spending enough in the shops?
    I'd say no, as the exact same thing happened last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

gurramok wrote: »
    Yesterday was Sunday, its family day out. Watch what bags they are carrying rather what Sunday lunch they are having, question is are they really spending enough in the shops?
    I'd say no, as the exact same thing happened last year.

I agree, people go out to look and window shop in the meccas of the 21st century ie the shopping centres/malls. It does not mean they are buying.

In fairness, keep in mind that it's only half of the country that are in a position to need to look for bargains.

The other half are still exceedingly wealthy...and that's why these places are still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I agree, people go out to look and window shop in the meccas of the 21st century ie the shopping centres/malls. It does not mean they are buying.

Ive been looking at people in shops wondering if they are actually just browsing. But i can confirm ,they are still buying. The vast majority of the country is not on the breadline, despite what makes headlines.

Those who always had money to spend, still have money to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Ive been looking at people in shops wondering if they are actually just browsing. But i can confirm ,they are still buying. The vast majority of the country is not on the breadline, despite what makes headlines.

Those who always had money to spend, still have money to spend.

Funny that. I noticed the likes of Dunnes/Penneys where you can get cheap clothing to be packed and yet the moderately expensive ones like Oasis\Burtons to be empty.
    Of course some will have money to spend who still have good jobs, the numbers of these have decreased. Its a money crunch out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There are great bargains everywhere at the moment and rents are gone down.

Glad I got another job, everything is so cheap, I get first pay cheque on Friday and will be treating myself to some new clothes and maybe a computer game or two :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Well speaking as a Dad here with two kids, I've saved an absolute fortune this year (yet again) by shopping online and doing both Santa and clothes shopping through the interwebs from mostly UK retailers with absolutely no problems at all.

When it comes to money and the ability to save as much as is possible while still managing to give the kids a good christmas, patriotism goes completely out the window and I have absolutely no shame in that at all. Family first, everything else second.

The prices still being charged here in Ireland for goods, especially clothes, are absolutely terrible, I don't know how they continue to get away with it.

I bought two Helly Hansen jackets for my kids from a UK place online, which I initially heard about on Boards' Bargain Alerts forum, for around 30 euro each, free postage. Same jackets in town my girlfriend seen for 125 euro each ? Seriously, wtf :eek:

Same place, I bought two pairs of "designer" jeans for myself for 25 euro, I mean really good jeans they are - I can't imagine what I'd be charged for them here in Ireland. Everlast hoodies, top quality, 15 euro. Everlast and Regatta T-shirts, 3 to 5 euro each.

Irish retailers need to bring their prices down to acceptable and respectable levels or people will just continue to shop elsewhere. We are afterall part of Europe so they can all just shut up about patriotism to be perfectly honest.

The country chose to vote in favour of the Lisbon Treaty and as far as I'm concerned now my "country" as such is not Ireland but Europe and that treaty was the nail in the coffin of any patriotism (apart from football!) I felt for Ireland. I am a European, I am from Europe and I will do my utmost to spend my money in my country, Europe, to get the best deals and savings that I can.
    Ireland as a nation needs to just wake up and adjust itself, it's market, it's trade and economy to the simple fact that we are only a very small nation, an Island and a name - our country for all intents and purposes is Europe.

You can choose to remain a local retailer and sell locally to your nation or you can adjust and choose to compete in the European market while passing on considerable discounts to your local customers while still maintaining a profit. You can do that now and build up a base for yourself for the future, or you can bury your head in the sand and continue whining, boo hoo, "dey tuk ar jabs" - No, they didn't, they just took your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Nehaxak wrote: »

The country chose to vote in favour of the Lisbon Treaty and as far as I'm concerned now my "country" as such is not Ireland but Europe and that treaty was the nail in the coffin of any patriotism (apart from football!) I felt for Ireland. I am a European, I am from Europe and I will do my utmost to spend my money in my country, Europe, to get the best deals and savings that I can.
    Ireland as a nation needs to just wake up and adjust itself, it's market, it's trade and economy to the simple fact that we are only a very small nation, an Island and a name - our country for all intents and purposes is Europe.

Exactly. When it comes to the free market, we are all Europeans now. I wouldn't mind, but the business community were actually pushing us to vote for the Lisbon Treaty. Did they not realize what being a member of Europe actually means?

And lets not forget that Fianna Fail told us all to shop around.

Advertisement