Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Recommendation Please (email, internet, etc)

• 12-11-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have an old Nokia 6xxx phone with Vodafone, has served me well, but time for an update now Christmas is approaching.

Key Features:
    - Tri or Quad Band
    - Wifi
    - Bluetooth
    - Email: Hotmail & Outlook 2007 work email access primarily
    - MS Synch capability e.g. Outlook calendar synch, etc
    - Internet (wifi primarily)
    - SMS
    - IM (e.g. MSN messenger)
    - Camera (nice to have)
    - MP3 (nice to have)
    - Radio (nice to have)

Operator:
    Am with Vodafone prepay but most of the family are O2.

Form factor:
    Am open...

Price Range:

€200 or less (€300 at absolute max for the 'bees knees' of a phone)

I was thinking the E63 seem niced, but am open to options !

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Ok, I have an old Nokia 6xxx phone with Vodafone, has served me well, but time for an update now Christmas is approaching.

Key Features:
    - Tri or Quad Band
    - Wifi
    - Bluetooth
    - Email: Hotmail & Outlook 2007 work email access primarily
    - MS Synch capability e.g. Outlook calendar synch, etc
    - Internet (wifi primarily)
    - SMS
    - IM (e.g. MSN messenger)
    - Camera (nice to have)
    - MP3 (nice to have)
    - Radio (nice to have)

Operator:
    Am with Vodafone prepay but most of the family are O2.

Form factor:
    Am open...

Price Range:

€200 or less (€300 at absolute max for the 'bees knees' of a phone)

I was thinking the E63 seem niced, but am open to options !

E71 is a savage phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

kearnsr wrote: »
    E71 is a savage phone

Thanks, but when I compare to the E63, for €100 more is it really worth it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Nokia 5800 is decent enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'd say your best option, especially considering you require exchange syncing, would be to go for a Nokia Series 60 handset, e.g. E63, E71, E72, 5800 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

I use everything u require..got a nokia 95 8gb..i know its outdated now but still one hell of a phone!!can get an unlocked one on ebay for bot 180 :)

• Advertisement

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    I use everything u require..got a nokia 95 8gb..i know its outdated now but still one hell of a phone!!can get an unlocked one on ebay for bot 180 :)

I got my 5800 for 140, and i think they're selling in meteor for about 200-240.

8gb memory too, pretty decent imo.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Nokia 5800 is decent enough too.

The better half has one of these, so they might be mixed up. ;)

eddiem74 wrote: »
    The better half has one of these, so they might be mixed up. ;)

if she has a red one get a blue one, or vice-versa. :pac:

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I'd say your best option, especially considering you require exchange syncing, would be to go for a Nokia Series 60 handset, e.g. E63, E71, E72, 5800 etc.

I'll take a look at a few in person at the weekend, and see how they feel.

Should I just look to pickup from O2 or Vodafone online or would any of you recommend looking elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

E63 or e71!!! One caveat: you say 'camera would be nice to have': both have a cam, both are underwhelming. Alright-ish in good light, badbad indoors! Just so you know. E71 has obviously the classier look. On the other hand many ppl reckon the 63's keypad's better...

Also note: e72 is about to be launched(it's out in UK), so price for e71 might come down to make room on shelves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

PS

Have had both, Vodafone- and O2-branded: neither had any software/firmware issues worth mentioning, so in this case I'd say o2 or Voda are ok - generally unbranded/simfree is better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Steer Clear of the E63, I have one and it freeze on incoming calls. It is a Known issue with no solution thus far from Nokia.

I'm now using E71 instead, It is a Brilliant phone

Thanks everyone for the previous posts, but I held off purchasing over the Holidays, and intend to purchase in the next few weeks, under the cover of a birthday pressie. ;)

Now that sales, etc. are starting, is there anything else I should consider or where is the good value to be had?

Many thanks ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

It's already been said but E71 is great. Iwas hankering for an iphone but recession lowered my budget. Got brand new e71 unlocked off ebay for under 200euro and delighted. Great internet/email connections and a nice heavy but slim handset (not like plastiky 5800). In no rush to upgrade!

Advertisement