Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest relief

Options
  • 12-11-2009 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've just bought a house (first time buyer) and mortgage was drawn down yesterday by solicitor. Can someone tell me if mortgage interest relief is worked out on calender year (meaning I only have 1 month of relief for year 1) or from day mortgage is drawn down (Year 1 will be Nov '09 to Nov '10).

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Year 1 for you is 2009 (As in Jan-Dec 2009). You will get TRS for whatever interest you pay (assuming you haven't paid over your ceiling!) between now & 31st December @ 25% until the end of this year.

Year 2 for you will start January 1st 2010.

Year 7 for you will be January - December 2015.

So, Starting Jan 2016 you will no longer be entitled to TRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

jeckle wrote: »
    Year 1 for you is 2009 (As in Jan-Dec 2009). You will get TRS for whatever interest you pay (assuming you haven't paid over your ceiling!) between now & 31st December @ 25% until the end of this year.

Year 2 for you will start January 1st 2010.

Year 7 for you will be January - December 2015.

So, Starting Jan 2016 you will no longer be entitled to TRS.

Is it really the case? Seems overly unfair, to be honest. Like a legal loophole in favour of the State (as opposed to most other loopholes exploited against the State).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

none wrote: »
    Is it really the case? Seems overly unfair, to be honest. Like a legal loophole in favour of the State (as opposed to most other loopholes exploited against the State).

Fraid so mate. I rang them earlier this year to check same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

cheers for the bad news!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Start in jan 2010 and forget those two months
    Bought a house in 0ct 2006 didnt apply for relief untill may this year
    started filling in from jan 2007 on advice of my accountant
    but it takes a long time before i get it
    already waiting for 6 months of their repayments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

is this possible? when filling application form on revenue website, they ask when you paid first mortgage payment.

Advertisement