Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

318 ci mileage

• 12-11-2009 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi guys, just a quick question to those of you who know better.

I am looking at a 2002 bmw 318ci m sport and it has 89,000 miles on the clock. Should this amount of mileage be an issue or can I be reasonably assured that the car will have many more miles of 'trouble free' mileage ahead.

Comments

I bought my 318 ci with 87k and I have 121k on it now. I have had no major problems. The biggest expense( apart from tyres) was new front wishbones which goes on them all really. Other than that its only been small things for instance the thermostat decided to stick open just last friday, a few hours after I had passed the nct:rolleyes:, but again you can get one from the north or UK for small money and its easy to fit. I also service it myself which saves a nice bit and they are a very easy car to service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmyskank

Cheers Nox,

I have seen a nice one so I am tempted to go ahead and buy it. Would the wishbones be expensive to repalce in a garage do you know?

jimmyskank wrote: »
    Cheers Nox,

I have seen a nice one so I am tempted to go ahead and buy it. Would the wishbones be expensive to repalce in a garage do you know?

I sourced them up the north and all in including delivery they coat in the region of 250 euro, they were the correct Febi Belstien ones also not cheap ones which can be got for less but wont last. I paid about another 100 euro to a local mechanic to fit them so all in around 350 euro. Keep clear of BMW garages though as up would be talking 800 euro+ for it.

They may even have already been done on the car or may not go for a long time yet but just keep it in mind that it is a common thing that goes around the 100k miles.

I will post up a few things to look out for in the test drive later but I'm too busy now.

edit: Its the bushes on the wishbones that actually go but for the e46 3 series you have to replace the whole wishbone to replace the bush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jimmyskank wrote: »
    Cheers Nox,

Just remember that another 11k miles and it will have reached the 100k miles Irish mental barrier of being worthless, over the hill and ready to implode. This will impact it's resale value so take this into account when buying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I sourced them up the north and all in including delivery they coat in the region of 250 euro, they were the correct Febi Belstien ones also not cheap ones which can be got for less but wont last. I paid about another 100 euro to a local mechanic to fit them so all in around 350 euro. Keep clear of BMW garages though as up would be talking 800 euro+ for it.

They may even have already been done on the car or may not go for a long time yet but just keep it in mind that it is a common thing that goes around the 100k miles.

I will post up a few things to look out for in the test drive later but I'm too busy now.

edit: Its the bushes on the wishbones that actually go but for the e46 3 series you have to replace the whole wishbone to replace the bush.

Wrong. The wishbone bushes certainly do go around that mileage, but CAN be got seperately to the wishbone arm. There is a bottom ball joint in the wishbone arm which also goes, and THAT requires you to replace the arm. So before anyone goes spending a fortune on arms, check for play in the ball joint first, if there's no play then the arms are fine, just get the bushes.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wrong. The wishbone bushes certainly do go around that mileage, but CAN be got seperately to the wishbone arm. There is a bottom ball joint in the wishbone arm which also goes, and THAT requires you to replace the arm. So before anyone goes spending a fortune on arms, check for play in the ball joint first, if there's no play then the arms are fine, just get the bushes.

You are correct but from my experience, my car and others the ball joint is often gone also and its recommended to change the whole unit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You are correct but from my experience, my car and others the ball joint is often gone also and its recommended to change the whole unit anyway.

Thats well and good if they are gone, but advising someone to replace it anyway and not check it? They are expensive arms. Im all for maintaining cars properly, but for the sake of a simple check here somebody could save themselves a few quid.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats well and good if they are gone, but advising someone to replace it anyway and not check it? They are expensive arms. Im all for maintaining cars properly, but for the sake of a simple check here somebody could save themselves a few quid.

I wouldn't advise anyone to spend money where its not needed and of course he should check. I was just saying that more often than not the wishbone will have to be replaced as the ball joints will also be gone. If they are ok I agree just do the bushings.

Advertisement