Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

food C&C

• 12-11-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Ok, So I'm being very brave and putting up my first photos for c&c. I've feeling my DOF was a bit narrow. The great thing about this shoot what that I got to taste everything afterwards :D It is food for the newly revamped Exchequer bar in town.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The normal expert on food photography isn't around any more.

But, from my view - brilliant photos.

Nice use of DOF to focus on the foods.

Maybe you should focus in more (or crop in more) to bring the food out more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

#1 - Very good, but there's a lot of empty foreground space that kind of pushes the food too far back in the photo.
    #2 - Great photo. Excellent use of DOF here for me isolating the cheese and ham.
    #3 - Another great photo. Again, I would crop out the front edge of the table, but it's not as distracting as in #1. Love the bokeh you managed to capture in the this one
    #4 - Seems a little over exposed for me. And the positioning of the Bokeh just above the desert is slightly distracting. It would have worked really well slightly away from the main subject.

4 very good photos, but the #2 and #3 are excellent. Definitely the 2 winners for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm not mad on the first one and the second one could have done with less dof in my opinion but as a whole they afre very good images. I would agree with Paul on cropping a little tighter on the last two, the crop of the second and angle are both perfect imo.

Just note that for images such as these you do not need the norm crop ratio, you can crop to whatever suits the image i.e. a little closer to a square foor the last two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Nice C&C Karma, besides that I think the pictures are fantastic too.
    I like the way they look as if they're about to be eaten, whereas a lot of people do them as if they're just put together to be photographed for one of those cheesy menus etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'm not mad on the first one it's a bit too Tilt-shifty looking. There is a lot of foreground in it.

But otherwise a good job.

Thank God I waited till lunch time too look at these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Thanks everyone. I certainly felt that the first had too much nothingness at the front but didn't know how to rectify it. A different proportion crop would work better.
    I find the last one boring to look at as it's so centred. I probably should have put it off center with a spoon to fill the space?
    btw, even though the first is the least popular photo it is absolutely DELICIOUS!!! :D

Image #4 - I'd crop away the left side of space, and crop down to just above the ice-cream/cream.

Image #3 - I'd crop up to the napkin, and crop away the far tables/

Image #2 - I'd crop up to the start of the board, and then crop away everything after the board.

Image #1 - Tough one, since it's so wide, but I'd certainly remove most of the foreground space. Maybe crop tight to the board on the left, and even crop off the tail of the board on the right.

Just my opinion.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and should have posted before I sent to client as they are all over their promotional sites now. Will know better next time :)

As long as the client is happy, what people on boards think isn't important. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

If the client has them on there site. Then job well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

trishw78 wrote: »
    If the client has them on there site. Then job well done.

Ditto to above. They are excellent photos, a set to be proud of. And I've no doubt the client thought the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Gorgeous set of images.. I actually like the space in the shots, theres no hard rules to shots like this and I think food photography is one of the areas where you can let your creativity run wild.. Great colours aswell..

thanks again, it was my first time taking photos of food. Also first time taking interiors commercially but quite nice to take pics of things that weren't moving for a change;) Some of the rest are here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Paulw wrote: »
    As long as the client is happy, what people on boards think isn't important. :D
    For future customers it could be. ;)

I suppose it forces you to up your game next time and possibly think differently about how shots can be posed to make the client happy rather than satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

squareballoon, a very nice set of photos and you obviously went to a lot of preparation and trouble to get them as perfect as possible. It is a pity that on the Gallery the spelling of culinary is wrong which is not your fault.
    ( Browse the selection of images of our venue and culnary extravagance ).

thanks for that pixbyjohn. I'll try and let them know about the spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

were these taken on the premises? maybe a table cloth might have enhanced it a bit?
    good shots all the same i'm not sure about the Bokeh itwas making me a bit dizzy
    I must try this at some point myself - hopefully not my own cooking - it wouldn't be suitable for publication :)

well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I'm not mad on the first one and the second one could have done with less dof in my opinion but as a whole they afre very good images. I would agree with Paul on cropping a little tighter on the last two, the crop of the second and angle are both perfect imo.

Just note that for images such as these you do not need the norm crop ratio, you can crop to whatever suits the image i.e. a little closer to a square foor the last two.

I dont think you could have less dof in the second, its already wafer thin. I expect you mean more dof?

For me the last two are really nice and I would have scrubbed the others or changed around. Maybe shoot narrow dof and wide dof to give you a choice. I would have a worry about the sharpness in the second last with such a narrow dof.

There are another couple that I took where the dof was too thin and ruined the shot but because they were shot on the premises and were being looked at over my shoulder by willing eaters I had to work quickly.
    They don't have table cloths and because it wasn't specifically a food shoot I just used what was there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement