Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair play to this Judge

• 12-11-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1112/richardsonp.html

Three men were convicted of kidnapping the family of a Securicor driver and forcing him to hand over €2.28 million in cash have been sent to prison.
    Jason Kavanagh, of Parslickstown Court in Mulhuddart, and Mark Farrelly, of Moatview Court in Priorswood, were both sentenced to 25 years in prison, while 61-year-old Christopher Corcoran from Bayside Boulevard was jailed for 12 years.
    Judge Tony Hunt described the gang as 'inhuman monsters'.
    Advertisement

He said the fact that all three men were fathers meant they had a clear insight in the primal terror they inflicted on Paul Richardson and his family.
    He said sentencing should reflect both punishment and deterrent and he said that society was now affected by a spate of these so-called 'tiger kidnappings'.
    He said he did not know where the term came from or what happened in the animal kingdom, but he said the kidnapping of women and children preyed on the greatest fear of a father and had no place in a civilised society.
    He said this crime was a foul and repulsive cancer which when located must be subjected to radical and aggressive treatment.
    He said that it did not affect those at the higher echelons of our banking institutions but struck fear into the hearts and homes of ordinary decent family. No ordinary family working for a bank or financial institution can rest easy from the fear of such an ordeal, he said.
    The judge said he was satisfied that if the spate of these goes un-checked, an innocent parent or child will be maimed or killed. This case, he said, set the precedent for this criminal activity and that these men today cannot complain if they are to become the example and that their sentences are to serve notice on others who may become involved in such cruel and degrading treatment.
    He said as well as the direct horror for the victims and their families, there was a wider concern.
    He said the money taken in these cases could serve only two outcomes: the premature retirement for those involved - which he did not believe was the aim - or the proceeds would become the seed capital for further criminal ventures, namely drug trafficking and the importation of guns to protect turf.
    The judge also commended the bravery and the resilience of each member of the Richardstown family. He said the intangible damage done to Paul Richardson would be permanent in some degree, but he said he hoped the passage of time would ease those feelings

Finally they are giving out proper sentences!!! See you in 2034 you scummers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

fair play is right.

Now to catch the Dublin gang leaders and do same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I used to live beside one of those guys, never thought he'd be a kidnapper.

Hopefully the sentences will actually deter some people but then again, scumbags were never the brightest bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

What you have there is one single judge with a bit of perspective, no doubt this case will be appealed on severity of the sentance, and a more spineless judge in a higher court will reduce the sentances. pity because that judge seems to be having the right idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Fair play indeed, I just hope they don't let them out early or anything for "good behavior".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

tribulus wrote: »
    I used to live beside one of those guys, never thought he'd be a kidnapper.

Hopefully the sentences will actually deter some people but then again, scumbags were never the brightest bunch.
    Yeah, I live around the corner from one of them too. It was a bit of a shock when we heard what he did, but then again he was the spitting image of the General so we should of known!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, I live around the corner from one of them too. It was a bit of a shock when we heard what he did, but then again he was the spitting image of the General so we should of known!

LOL, the same guy so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

These are sentences that fit the crime,i dont care what it costs build more prisons and hand out heavier and heavier sentences,the criminals will eventually get the message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dovers

foinse wrote: »
    What you have there is one single judge with a bit of perspective, no doubt this case will be appealed on severity of the sentance, and a more spineless judge in a higher court will reduce the sentances. pity because that judge seems to be having the right idea.

I don't think that will happen. As this was the first case of it's type it will set the "precedence" for all future sentencing in this type of crime. All other judges in the future will have to use this as a guide when sentencing. So happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

These are sentences that fit the crime,i dont care what it costs build more prisons and hand out heavier and heavier sentences,the criminals will eventually get the message

As long as the prison isn't built in your back yard? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Dovers wrote: »
    I don't think that will happen. As this was the first case of it's type it will set the "precedence" for all future sentencing in this type of crime. All other judges in the future will have to use this as a guide when sentencing. So happy days.

Actually Dovers, these scum have the right to appeal the sentances put upon them by this judge to a higher court, This sentence would have been passed down in the circuit criminal court, that means that these idiots can appeal to the high court, and it is with the appeal court that the final decision lies. So it is perfectly conceivable that the high court judge after listening to the case again, could decide to lower the sentence due to whatever "mitigating circumstances" (sob story) these drains on society have.

It is the final decision on sentencing that sets the precedence, ie the high court judge can overrule the decision of the circuit court judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I used to live around the corner from the same guy (the general lookalike!!). He did most of his work sitting at the bar in the local boozer so I couldn't fathom how he was able to scheme so much pi$$ed up all the time. Seemingly he turned up to court most days in a right auld state, lubed up on porter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Relevant wrote: »

scummers ? if that ment not having to work a crappy job ( i.e tesco's, lidl, being mary harney ) then id do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I think the term 'inhuman monsters' sounds a bit undignified coming from a judge, and should have been left to the gutter press, but I think he was right to set an example and I agree with the sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Severe sentence on the scum of society. Sounds good and proper to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Pdfile wrote: »
    scummers ? if that ment not having to work a crappy job ( i.e tesco's, lidl, being mary harney ) then id do it.

Am I reading this wrong or are you saying you'd kidnap a family before woring in Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I think the term 'inhuman monsters' sounds a bit undignified coming from a judge, and should have been left to the gutter press.

Have to disagree with you there, i think the shoe fits perfectly and if anything shows the judge to be taking a brave stance against criminals who are so often coddled by the legal system.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Naos wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong or are you saying you'd kidnap a family before woring in Tesco?
    seems that way to me too

I like this, its about time a judge came out and said what most of us are thinking, and hes the one with the power to do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Naos wrote: »

yup, nobody gets hurt unless they want to be, i take the money from the bank bsatards and re-invest it in the public.

Now don't get me wrong, rules get broken, lifes at risk etc...

if you don't scare yourself at least once a day your not living... also who the fcuk wants to work in tesco ? its cool when your in school and all but when you pass 18 its lame.

Class.. Their sentance is longer than I've been alive and that feels like fekin ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Which is why Ireland's in the mess it's in. Get rich quick at someone else's expense, rather than actuallyt earning it.

• Advertisement

Quandary wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there, i think the shoe fits perfectly and if anything shows the judge to be taking a brave stance against criminals who are so often coddled by the legal system.
    Actions speak louder than words, and I think the sentence speaks for itself. He could have called them a shower of ****, and I'd have agreed with him, but I just think the statement lacked a little gravitas.
    if you don't scare yourself at least once a day your not living... also who the fcuk wants to work in tesco ? its cool when your in school and all but when you pass 18 its lame.
    There's giving yourself a scare, then there's being unexpectedly scared out of your wits and possibly left with PTSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

yup, nobody gets hurt unless they want to be, i take the money from the bank bsatards and re-invest it in the public.

Think you could have done with a few more years in school by the sounds of ya.

Primary school drop-out, ya??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

yup, nobody gets hurt unless they want to be

From the news...
    He also expressed the hope that the family could move past their ordeal but noted Mr Kevin Richardson was clearly a “damaged man”.

“I express the sincere and profound hope that the passage of time will help him get past this. However he is not, and will not be, the same man as he was before March 13, 2005,” Judge Hunt said.

Inspector Scott said the family continue to suffer anxiety and post traumatic stress four years after the robbery and that Mr Richardson feels “the old Paul is dead” and a more serious, anxious and alert man is in his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hopefully the tougher stance taken by this judge will make other judges in similar cases act in the same way. The tiger raids that go on most be one hell of an ordeal for any family and I hope they serve every day of there sentences.

Well done justice system, for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

Class.. Their sentance is longer than I've been alive and that feels like fekin ages.

so youre 11 yrs old....? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

how long does a person get for murder or drug trafficking in Ireland? I don't remember hearing anyone geeting nearly as bad as these sentences....when you consider the blokes in England who got half the sentence for throwing acid on the face of the Kate girl which in my estimation is far far worse than what these guys did....different countries and all I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

People getting less for murder, rape and drug dealing is an absolute joke. It's a great stance for this judge to take, really shows what's lacking with the justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You obviously don't believe in mental trauma eh? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Right, I'm going to take you as a troll because I don't believe someone can be this stupid and naieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I've just discovered that i'm psychic. please allow me to profile you.

You have few friends, fewer qualifications, and you've been on the dole since you were eligible to receive it. you listen to aslan and tupac, and when you get on the bus you make a beeline for the upstairs backseat.
    and you've never voted.

am i right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Better off have sex with children you'll get less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

I disagree -
    Wayne O'Donoghue murders a young child and dumps his body and plays the innocent (and potentailly sexually assaults the child aswel) and he gets 4 years.

These guys pretty much rob a bank and gets 25 years.

I understand the ordeal of what the Richardson family went through but they will pull through.

I disagree -
    Wayne O'Donoghue murders a young child and dumps his body and plays the innocent (and potentailly sexually assaults the child aswel) and he gets 4 years.

I understand the ordeal of what the Richardson family went through but they will pull through.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

I disagree -

This sentence is against organised crime, not just a bank robbery.

I'd love to have seen the blood drain form their faces when 25 years was announced by the judge.

Unfortunately the sentance will prob be reduced on appeal to about half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Aank robbers are handed down more severe sentences because most Banks are tied in with Government money.

You can sell drugs and fiddle the kiddies but don't steal from the State.

Why do you think their clamping down on the smuggling of cigarettes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I disagree -

I think you will find that i am in agreement. I said they are "finally" giving out proper sentences.

The point of this thread is that in the past judges have given out overly lenient sentences, however todays sentence would indicate that the tide is turning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Future crim in the works here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I disagree -

u knew someone would bring up odonoghue twas only a matter of time :rolleyes:

fair play to this judge really really hope it dosnt get reduce on appeal but i bet it will be prob not in the high court but in the court of appeal it will be. it is the court of appeal that will set the precedence on weather or not they reduce the sentence or not

12 years for being a look out on something like this is proper order too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

An aspiring crim with the name 'Pdfile'...
    is that a freudian slip or some sort of sick joke?
    If ever there was a case for a username change....

wudangclan wrote: »
    An aspiring crim with the name 'Pdfile'...
    is that a freudian slip or some sort of sick joke?
    If ever there was a case for a username change....
    Oh god here we go why not call the guy a racist and anti semite while your at it.....

hilarious. neeeeeeeeeee naaaaaaaaawwwwwww, neeeeeeeeeeeee naaaaaaaaaaaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Way to feed the troll everyone :pac:

How much will it cost to keep these guys in jail? Over 10,000,000 I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

They're the first 'Tiger Kidnappers' sentenced and the state is making an example of them. Don't fuck with the state.
    Reduced on appeal, i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Wouldn't the death penalty be more appropriate? It would save the state millions in detention fees and and there will be absolutely no chance of reoffending. I would prefer to see the likes of these scum and the likes of Wayne O'Donoghue hung rather than being jailed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I disagree -
    Wayne O'Donoghue murders a young child .......(and potentailly sexually assaults the child aswel) and he gets 4 years.

Ha Ha. Wayne O'Donoghue could sue the hole off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Wouldn't the death penalty be more appropriate? It would save the state millions in detention fees and and there will be absolutely no chance of reoffending. I would prefer to see the likes of these scum and the likes of Wayne O'Donoghue hung rather than being jailed.

Leaving the rights and wrongs of the death penalty aside (not to mention the fact that WOD was only convicted of manslaughter so the death penalty would be bizarre), I don't think it actually saves money.

Assuming you mean something like the American capital punishment system(as opposed to some tin pot dictatorship) then there is a huge amount spent insuring that the death penalty is correct, teams of lawyers and independant third parties are paid to relook at the case in detail to insure there is no possibility of a miscarriage of justice.

So at the end of this process no money is actually saved over keeping them in prison for 30 years.

And lo, once again the death penalty rears its severed head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We need to introduce chain-gangs, let the fcukers give something back

Sure any whore can sit in a cell for 25 years, but 25 years of hard labor should be an effective deterrent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm sure I'm not the only one but.......... post reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

wow!, the standard for post of the day aint exactly high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

wow!, the standard for post of the day aint exactly high!

perfectly acceptable candidate for the accolade in my view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement