Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft to ban 1million xbox users

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Deserve it for stupidity tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You have to enter your email in order to read that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yup, totally deserved it. Don't do the crime if you want to play online

Correction: an e-mail address. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

racso1975 wrote: »
    http://e-edition.metroireland.ie/2009/11/12/index.html?p=1

just a heads up

Maybe a slight over reaction by Raz

Thread in console modding.

I got banned. If you can't do the time don't do the crime and all that.

I care not about having no more xbox live, but an xbox live ban should NOT result in Microsoft disabling a feature that has nothing to do with XBOX live (Banned users with the latest dashboard cannot install games to their hard drive). This is the most significant thing for me and has truly pwned a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

It's been all over Google news this morning too, here's another link http://www.pcworld.com/article/182010/microsoft_bans_up_to_one_million_users_from_xbox_live.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Thread in console modding.

I got banned. If you can't do the time don't do the crime and all that.

I care not about having no more xbox live, but an xbox live ban should NOT result in Microsoft disabling a feature that has nothing to do with XBOX live (Banned users with the latest dashboard cannot install games to their hard drive). This is the most significant thing for me and has truly pwned a lot of people.

They should be even more strict imo and brick the consoles...
    Should teach the cheeky bastards for playing online with pirated games

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

just put in a random one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

tman wrote: »
    They should be even more strict imo and brick the consoles...
    Should teach the cheeky bastards for playing online with pirated games

I'm 50-50 on whether they should have bricked the consoles tbh. Really is nothing short of cheeky putting them online though. No sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Serves em right really, cheat and get caught, and you get f*cked like you should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Proper order.

If you were messing with the console then you knew the risks and this was always going to happen some day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Have heard that there is new firmware on the way next week to combat this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if you get banned from live is it your account that gets banned or is it your xbox itself?

kearnsr wrote: »
    if you get banned from live is it your account that gets banned or is it your xbox itself?

You get console banned. Recover your gamertag to another console (because the one on the banned console will be corrupt) and play away. You will lose acheivements earned since you last connected to Live.

It's on hold. Nobody has any idea how Microsoft detected firmware. But this is a discussion best left for the modding forum :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You get console banned. Recover your gamertag to another console (because the one on the banned console will be corrupt) and play away. You will lose acheivements earned since you last connected to Live.

Ah ok. So is it through the MAC address they ban you?

kearnsr wrote: »
    Ah ok. So is it through the MAC address they ban you?

ConsoleID, which is built on your manufacturing date & MAC address. Hard/Impossible to spoof and get away with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

AdMMM wrote: »

Raz; "I was pulling my hair out thinking, 'No, why me?'"

Seriously? Seriously? Raz goes on to say games are too expensive and that he saved himself up to £600 by having his console chipped. This is a 25 year old stating these facts and still has to ask "Why me?"

A day in a medieval stocks outta sort him out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Didn't this happen the last several times? How hard would it be for microsoft to slip in a update which will read the firmware directly off the dvd drive, if it is modified Microsoft should be able to see this easily, as they would have checksum matches of official factory firmwares and could compare them to the modified ones, just a thought..

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

yoyo wrote: »
    Didn't this happen the last several times? How hard would it be for microsoft to slip in a update which will read the firmware directly off the dvd drive, if it is modified Microsoft should be able to see this easily, as they would have checksum matches of official factory firmwares and could compare them to the modified ones, just a thought..

Nick

They can. They will always be able to. They built the machine ffs.

The reason they don't insta-ban people for having a modded f/w is that it is a very finely balanced cash cow for M$. They ban in waves, same time every year, to generate christmas sales of new xboxes. They flag people throughout the year and drop the "ban hammer" over a 72 hour period. Same thing every year. I was banned on Monday, but I was probably flagged a couple of months ago. The reason they don't insta-ban is they would kill the modding scene. They let people play away all year in their false sense of security, paying a year's XBL membership each as they do. They make millions from modders, without it costing them a whole lot.

So I'll wait for this to blow over, buy a new xbox and get the new firmware, and play for another year unperturbed. I know this because M$ is a money-hungry kunt who don't give a shíte about the games developers who piracy actually hurts; moreover they just want to make 10% extra per year in new console sales to banned users. That's why it's no surprise that they haven't banned Xbox Live ID's, leaving every user with a reason to rebuy a new console.

The way I see it, €120 per year for a new console isn't bad for 50 odd games.

consultech wrote: »
    They can. They will always be able to. They built the machine ffs.

The reason they don't insta-ban people for having a modded f/w is that it is a very finely balanced cash cow for M$. They ban in waves, same time every year, to generate christmas sales of new xboxes. They flag people throughout the year and drop the "ban hammer" over a 72 hour period. Same thing every year. I was banned on Monday, but I was probably flagged a couple of months ago.

So I'll wait for this to blow over, buy a new xbox and get the new firmware, and play for another year unperturbed. I know this because M$ is a money-hungry kunt who don't give a shíte about the games developers who piracy actual hurts; moreover they just want to make 10% extra per year in new console sales to banned users. That's why it's no surprise that they haven't banned Xbox Live ID's, leaving every user with a reason to rebuy a new console.

The way I see it, €120 per year for a new console isn't bad for 50 odd games.

LOL. So what should MS do if they do care about developers? Ban you straightaway? It's almost like they're trying to make money off the console, the ****ers.

I miss the days when games consoles manufacturers weren't about the money, they just wanted to bring a little happiness to the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I know this because M$ is a money-hungry kunt who don't give a shíte about the games developers who piracy actually hurts.

I think you just insulted yourself there too, since you admit to pirating games.

You guys get what you deserve if your console gets banned.

amacachi wrote: »
    LOL. So what should MS do if they do care about developers? Ban you straightaway? It's almost like they're trying to make money off the console, the ****ers.

Basically, yeah. If they cared about the development houses they would act immediately, but cost themselves millions... So they won't be doing that anytmie soon. The people who modify their xboxes are never gonna pay full whack, for anything, and M$ have accepted that. It's like a nightclub letting people in when they know they're sneakin a naggin in in their handbag/pocket. They might as well make the cover charge, cloakroom fee, and mixer costs from them, otherwise they won't come at all. If M$ banned immediately these people would just stop playing xbox, coz they've obviously gone to some bother not to pay full price for the games.

rizzla wrote: »
    I think you just insulted yourself there too, since you admit to pirating games.

You guys get what you deserve if your console gets banned.

Well spotted... No flies on you.

EDIT: ... and if we're being technical; No I didn't. I simply stated I was banned - for what violation of terms I didn't say - then expressed an opinion on the thought process behind a "pirate"'s (ARRRR) actions. Never once did I discuss doing anything illegal personally.

Basically, yeah. If they cared about the development houses they would act immediately, but cost themselves millions... So they won't be doing that anytmie soon. The people who modify their xboxes are never gonna pay full whack, for anything, and M$ have accepted that. It's like a nightclub letting people in when they know they're sneakin a naggin in in their handbag/pocket. They might as well make the cover charge, cloakroom fee, and mixer costs from them, otherwise they won't come at all. If M$ banned immediately these people would just stop playing xbox, coz they've obviously gone to some bother not to pay full price for the games.

And just how much do MS actually make from the sale of a new console?

amacachi wrote: »
    And just how much do MS actually make from the sale of a new console?

If it's sold to the retailer at ~€180 for full Elite set; I would imagine somewhere around €150-160? I dunno, I'm open to correction on this from someone who knows (unlikely tbh). Factor in XBL etc and it's a few quid per modder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

He said 'I sign in online next thing I see your console has been banned'. I was destraught at the time. I was completely gutted. Its like telling someone their dog just died

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If it's sold to the retailer at ~€180 for full Elite set; I would imagine somewhere around €150-160? I dunno, I'm open to correction on this from someone who knows (unlikely tbh). Factor in XBL etc and it's a few quid per modder.

Well I guess if they are making the XBox for as little as $20 then that may explain some of the manufacturing faults. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

AdMMM wrote: »

That article is hilarious, poor Raz. I feel bad for him :rolleyes:

Advertisement