Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft to ban 1million xbox users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

just want to ask about what he said

"To be honest, I've contemplated whether to move to Playstation 3 or buy another Xbox. I wouldn't do it again but I really don't know if I'm going to get the Xbox again now."

But as the ps3 can't be modded do you think a lot of people will move to it
    if my 360 or ps3 died without any comeback for a return i would buy a new one as i have a lot of games for them.
    but when it's pirated games that will just get you banned again and won't work on a unmodified 360 there's noting keeping someone from moving to ps3.

will these people go legit with a new system and have to buy the games this time.
    change to ps3 and still buy real games
    or keep pirating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I think you keep all your achievements and your gamertag, friends list ect, So i guess thats a reason to just replace the xbox itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I have to say this was genius on the part of Microsoft, hammer down on pirates the week of MW2, priceless. I've personally been thoroughly enjoying playing MW2 myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

niallon wrote: »
    I have to say this was genius on the part of Microsoft, hammer down on pirates the week of MW2, priceless. I've personally been thoroughly enjoying playing MW2 myself!

Same thing happened when Halo 3 came out, surprised this is on the front page.

That Raz guy is a right tool, "I steal £600 worth of games and this is how they repay me?!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

it could be worse for these people if they used a credit card for the live fee

it has your real name and address

we f**k your 360 now pay us for damages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Same thing happened when Halo 3 came out, surprised this is on the front page.

This is the first time Microsoft have banned over half a million. It's a lot of people to get banned, much more than any other wave before it. There is even talk this is not a wave at all, more an implementation of a new policy because they've finally got firmware flashed xboxes dead to rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

1 in 20 Live users had modded consoles though? That's insane! I feel I should have better weapons or something online due to the fact that there's a good chance most of the other feckers I'm playing against are playing for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

title incorrect

Microsoft ban 1 million Xboxes is what actually happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

all i can say is thank god.

there is someone on my friends' list i wont mention is name tho
    and he has his xbox flashed and one of his xbox's got banned about a week ago, and he tried to sell the banned xbox for about 120euro. pray that no1 bought it.

he's using another xbox now that he kept as a spare incase he did get banned, smart*ss

he always tried to convince me to get my xbox flashed, by sayin im stupid for buyin games wen i can get them for free.........

as tempting as that sounded, id rather come out of gamestop/xtravision with my dignity intact. i have no problem buying games atol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Toosey

serves them right ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Raz; "I was pulling my hair out thinking, 'No, why me?'"

Seriously? Seriously? Raz goes on to say games are too expensive and that he saved himself up to £600 by having his console chipped. This is a 25 year old stating these facts and still has to ask "Why me?"

A day in a medieval stocks outta sort him out.

I'm surprised at an article by the BBC basically condoning console modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Varik wrote: »
    just want to ask about what he said

"To be honest, I've contemplated whether to move to Playstation 3 or buy another Xbox. I wouldn't do it again but I really don't know if I'm going to get the Xbox again now."

But as the ps3 can't be modded do you think a lot of people will move to it
    if my 360 or ps3 died without any comeback for a return i would buy a new one as i have a lot of games for them.
    but when it's pirated games that will just get you banned again and won't work on a unmodified 360 there's noting keeping someone from moving to ps3.

will these people go legit with a new system and have to buy the games this time.
    change to ps3 and still buy real games
    or keep pirating

im startin to wonder if thats why a few people think the PS3 is "garbage" as opposed to the 360

(ive no preference, i like both)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I'm surprised at an article by the BBC basically condoning console modding.

I thought that article about Raz was a bit odd as well, but that could have been the point. Publish his comments to show how daft he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I'd say it's more likely that MS make a big show of this to gain the confidence of games publishers so that they don't abandon the console due to loss of revenue than some weird conspiracy to keep the modding community alive and forcing people to buy new consoles to play their stolen games on. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

"I steal £600 worth of games and this is how they repay me?!"

OK, I don't believe that Raz would spend 600 pounds on games. He downloads 600 worth of games, but that's different. But supposing it was true that's 600,000,000 pounds worth of lost revenue, if the claim of 1 million getting banned is correct. That's hitting everyone from retailers, graphic designers, printers, transport, musicians, artists, coders, developers, publishers and of course Microsoft (and I'm sure many others too). In business terms, that is fcking collossal.

It's really not that surprising that people are complaining about how crappy the manual in CoD:MW2 is, me included.

EDIT: Actually I would easily buy a game per month, and at a conservative 45 euro per game that would come to 540 a year, so that's not too far off the 600 and I'm certainly not the hardest of core gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

Serves them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

seriously they deserve it cheating feckers! also means lot less scummers on live ;) and why should we all pay for games to enjoy and they rob em?

btw maybe games would drop in price if theft wasnt happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

aha. ahaha. ahahahahahahahahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

consultech wrote: »
    aha. ahaha. ahahahahahahahahaha.
    consultech do you realise that if developers dont make enough from titles then they will go bank and if that happens gaming could end up in the history books!

i take from your laughing that you abuse the system????

a sham that this banning hasnt happened sooner!!

well done MS:cool:

i take from your laughing that you abuse the system????

I'm actually laughing at the suggestion of M$ dropping their prices. Hard luck for not getting that, it was fairly apparent.

... and how do I "abuse" the system? Where have I ever associated myself with piracy (specifically)? I haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

seriously they deserve it cheating feckers! also means lot less scummers on live ;) and why should we all pay for games to enjoy and they rob em?

Do you enjoy it when you put your hand in your pocket and all you feel is your leg? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I like the way raz tries to put it back on Miscrosoft by saying maybe ill go to PS3 now. Its like a shop lifer saying ive been robbing out of this shop for the last year i got caught and im so upset with the shop i might go to the shop down the road to rob in future.:D

But I think this works both ways if we are buying proper consoles and games then developers that claim piracy is going to kill them shouldn't do things like Activsion deciding to charge 70euro for MW2 just "because they can", or The guy behind God of war telling customers to F*** off because they want to trade games in after they finish them.

They should'nt also threaten shops like gamestop to pay them a % of their used games profit or they will "run them out of business by switching to digital downloads" ( yes they actually said that scumbag bully boy statement).

It works both ways if developers want us to support them they also have to understand that we need to be supported to and not ripped off.

Its kind of hard to feel sympathey for developers that make comments like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I like the way raz tries to put it back on Miscrosoft by saying maybe ill go to PS3 now.

Damn Miscrosoft!
    They should'nt also threaten shops like gamestop to pay them a % of their used games profit or they will "run them out of business by switching to digital downloads" ( yes they actually said that scumbag bully boy statement).

Why shouldn't game developers get a cut of pre-owned sales? If I spend 12 months developing a game, its bought 10 times by 10 different people, I get 1/10 of the slice of pie, actually, its not even 1/10th, because Gamestop get their cut off the first sale. Then gamestop make 100% pure profit from the other 9/10 sales. Thats fair, right? You take someone elses work, and make vastly more money from it than they do.

If I was a game developer, I'd be moving towards cutting out the middle man, who makes more cash than the people who actually make the game. I seen Far Cry Instincts Predator released in March 2006, in Gamestop in Galway, pre-owned, STILL being sold for 40 quid...

Of that 40 euro:
    The people who let it sit on the shelf get 40 of it.
    The people who made the game get 0 of it.

Now if thats not a bad deal for developers, I don't know what is.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

Why shouldn't game developers get a cut of pre-owned sales? If I spend 12 months developing a game, its bought 10 times by 10 different people, I get 1/10 of the slice of pie, actually, its not even 1/10th, because Gamestop get their cut off the first sale. Then gamestop make 100% pure profit from the other 9/10 sales. Thats fair, right? You take someone elses work, and make vastly more money from it than they do.

If I was a game developer, I'd be moving towards cutting out the middle man, who makes more cash than the people who actually make the game. I seen Far Cry Instincts Predator released in March 2006, in Gamestop in Galway, pre-owned, STILL being sold for 40 quid...

Of that 40 euro:

Well see thats a very simplistic way of looking at things and your maths just doesnt work if 1 person buys 1 copy then how can 9 others buy a used version ? for the 9 people to buy 9 used copies you have to sell at least 4/5 new versions then have them traded back in. Unless of course you reckon the same 1 copy will be traded in 9 times which happens very rarely.

Also the mark up on new games is pretty small for shops i dont think small shops could survive on the mark up they get on new games so with out trade in's they would have to jack up the price of new games and again developers would get hurt as less people could afford it. (Do you know how much a shop pays for a copy of MW2? 50 euro ! thats how much. Gamestop has to sell 100 copies at 55 euro to make 500 euro, out of that 500 euro they have to pay rent,staff and utillity bills.)

Do BMW get any cut from the sale of used BMW's ? No they dont but when some one trades in their old BMW for a new one they make money from the new sale. Everytime some one trades an old game in against a new one the developers get money.

I know for a fact i could not afford to buy more than 1 game a month for 50 euro if i didnt have trade in's. So if developers go to digital downloads the amount of games i buy will drop from about 4-5 a month down to 1 a month maybe even less. Which in turn will make piracay of games far more enticing to those that will look to steal games.

Which do you think will hurt them more loosing out on a tiny % of used game sales or loosing up to 75% of all new game sales.

Look at the last month you had pro evo, brutal legend, borderlands, operation falshpoint, MW2 and uncharted 2. All of which i bought so each one of those developers got their sale and got their cut. If trade ins where not available i would have only been able to afford 1 game which would have been MW2 so the only dev/publisher to get money would be the huge evil activision and all the other smaller developers would have lost out. That i feel would hurt the industry an awfull lot more. because all you will be left with are the huge developers that roll out franchises every year rather than develop new games.

And that doesnt even take into account all the other aspects the printers, the delivery drivers all the guys working in the shops etc. You need to look at the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Damn Miscrosoft!

Of that 40 euro:

Good point indeed man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Very clever by MS but obviously it won't stop these machines from playing pirated games but Live is now such a vital part of the whole show.

No downsides to this for MS:

1) Get rid of 1M modded consoles off Live.
    2) A huge amount of network bandwidth gained at no cost.
    3) Instantly killed the secondhand market so will push new 360 sales through the roof this Xmas.

Had an old modded Xbox when I was a student but now I have the cash to be totally above board...see you all on Live:)

Very clever by MS but obviously it won't stop these machines from playing pirated games but Live is now such a vital part of the whole show.

No downsides to this for MS:

1) Get rid of 1M modded consoles off Live.
    2) A huge amount of network bandwidth gained at no cost.
    3) Instantly killed the secondhand market so will push new 360 sales through the roof this Xmas.

Had an old modded Xbox when I was a student but now I have the cash to be totally above board...see you all on Live:)

Most modders saved enough money from not buying games/from selling games to less tech-savvy mates to simultaneously run a second xbox for clean, live play.

Also: This is actually not as good a long-term move as it may appear (once you get past the likely ~$100m console sales!). M$ have attracted global attention to the relative ease of modding their console for pirated games, as well as - as gleaned from a little research - the fact they only ban in yearly waves; so a year's unhindered free gameage is but a mod away for a plethora of existing xbox owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Of that 40 euro:

I can see what you mean here, however, if you apply the same logic to non-gaming scenarios ... Try a second hand car. If you buy a used car, do Toyota or Ford get a cut? They've spent billions developing the car, and yet one of their models can be sold or resold a number of times and have a number of owners and they only get the money for the first time the car is sold.

Don't get me wrong, I hate that most shops charge ridiculous prices for used games. If the developers took their cut, this price would only go up further.

Going to a download model would be great if there were savings to be made - but it seems for now that most Games on Demand games on the service are charging almost the full "bricks and mortar" retail prices. For the negligible difference, call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer to have a physical box and a disc that I could resell or trade-in.

Going to a download model would be great if there were savings to be made - but it seems for now that most Games on Demand games on the service are charging almost the full "bricks and mortar" retail prices. For the negligible difference, call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer to have a physical box and a disc that I could resell or trade-in.

This is it. you would expect since there is no cost in printing disks shipping costs etc you would expect DD to be a lot cheaper but now in a lot of cases the Digital copy is just as expensive (and in the case of the last 2 DD games i bought it was actually cheaper to get the disk in the shop than to download it !!). And you cant trade it in if it turns out to be rubbish. Imagine you bought Haze as a digital download for 50 euro and you where stuck with it for ever !! At least i was able to trade it in 2 days later and i only lost around 20 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

to all those saying it serves them right, ye would have done it too if ye were bothered or if ye knew what ye were doing , not that i flashed my xbox or anything.

Advertisement