Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft to ban 1million xbox users

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I see what you mean, but the car industry is completely different in so many ways...
    Don't get me wrong, I hate that most shops charge ridiculous prices for used games. If the developers took their cut, this price would only go up further.

Price remains the same, but the developers get their due cut. That would be ideal, but the greed of the likes of Gamestop means this is unlikely.
    Going to a download model would be great if there were savings to be made - but it seems for now that most Games on Demand games on the service are charging almost the full "bricks and mortar" retail prices. For the negligible difference, call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer to have a physical box and a disc that I could resell or trade-in.

I do prefer to physically have the box, but maybe if companies ran their own delivery service. As in, you order straight from IW, as you would from play.com. P&P would be less than the cut that bricks and mortar places are getting. Still wouldn't solve the problem of the second hand market...

Or a better idea, maybe if developers came together to set up their own store(s). The prices could be more reasonable, as you are cutting out the like of Gamestop. The proportion of revenue you get from the business every month, would be proportional to the amount of revenue your products brought in (so if IW generated 50%, they'd get 50, if EA generated 10%, they'd get 10). All the profit goes to the creators, none to the rip off merchants in the middle. Game dev's could give back to the customers who put food on their table. Unlikely, but when you cut out the greedy middle man, its better for everyone.
    This is it. you would expect since there is no cost in printing disks shipping costs etc you would expect DD to be a lot cheaper but now in a lot of cases the Digital copy is just as expensive (and in the case of the last 2 DD games i bought it was actually cheaper to get the disk in the shop than to download it !!). And you cant trade it in if it turns out to be rubbish. Imagine you bought Haze as a digital download for 50 euro and you where stuck with it for ever !! At least i was able to trade it in 2 days later and i only lost around 20 euro.

You essentially paid 20 euro for a rental, and traded it back in, so they could flog it off for 4 or 5 euro less than their normally high price. As an example, Gamestop would basically make 100% profit from a practically full priced sale, creators get nothing. That just seems wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    to all those saying it serves them right, ye would have done it too if ye were bothered or if ye knew what ye were doing , not that i flashed my xbox or anything.

Not true. I know exactly how to mod an Xbox. I had a modded original Xbox for the last few years. But thats when I was a fairly poor student, I'm no longer that poor student. If I can afford to buy a 42" HDTV (1500e), a Mac Mini (934e), bits and bobs costing 150e and grab a copy of COD MW2 just in the last week...then I think I have no need to pirate software anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

glad the recession didnt affect you hideous ape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

glad the recession didnt affect you hideous ape.

Well I work hard for it, earned every cent and I've paid my dues in lots of crappy jobs. Now though things are good! Recession...what recession...LETS BUY DUNE-BUGGIES:)

Live is too short, if you have the money then spend it!

I now value other peoples work a lot more though so I always pay where its merited. A lot of people today have this idea that because something is possible then its almost like an entitlement. Using that logic I could just steal a TV or attack someone at an ATM to cover the cost of my next game.

Games are not a necessary living expense...if you have food, rent and bills sorted and have something left over for entertainment then fine. But if buying games is that big a financial issue for someone then frankly they should be less worried about gaming and more worried about their financial situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

consultech wrote: »
    I'm actually laughing at the suggestion of M$ dropping their prices. Hard luck for not getting that, it was fairly apparent.

... and how do I "abuse" the system? Where have I ever associated myself with piracy (specifically)? I haven't.

So then... why were you banned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

to all those saying it serves them right, ye would have done it too if ye were bothered or if ye knew what ye were doing , not that i flashed my xbox or anything.

im saying it serves them right, and i was banned by them a few years ago for the same thing

it served me right then too

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Helix wrote: »
    im saying it serves them right, and i was banned by them a few years ago for the same thing

it served me right then too
    yea it happend to me 2 years ago too and I will admit it served me right. Learned my lesson since then though and have been a good little boy even though it was tempting to go back to my old ways!:P

I'd say alot of people who got banned this time around will just splash out for games in future and just wont be bothered flashing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    yea it happend to me 2 years ago too and I will admit it served me right. Learned my lesson since then though and have been a good little boy even though it was tempting to go back to my old ways!:P

I'd say alot of people who got banned this time around will just splash out for games in future and just wont be bothered flashing

I dont know if they will splash out on games in future...

I mean, they can still use their console offline, right? So all they need to do is pick up a new console. They'll then have one for offline games, and the other one only for games with MP (which they buy). You could probably even swap the hard drives between the consoles providing you don't play any games early (on the offline one) and swap it to the new one and play online....

I don't know if that works or not, but I'd say you can swap them, as long as you aren't seen playing games early.

I don't have a flashed console.... maybe I shouldn't be giving people ideas!

Advertisement