Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"All the Way Round" Charity drive pre event photo meetup

• 12-11-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly I'd like to thank AnCathDubh for allowing me to post this here and all the helpful information thus far.

Ok, bit of background to a charity event that I'm trying to organise.

Due to the popularity of boards.ie's motors section a private forum was set up for regular users of the forum where meets could be set up and everyone talks about cars and gets some food etc..

Due to the success of the motors offline forum I want to see if we can organise a charity drive around Ireland in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.

It was suggested to me that we get some pictures of some of us and the cars for media release material and a website and so it was also suggested to ask in here to see if anyone wants to help pr contribute ideas.

What were hoping for is 4 or 5 photographers from here to come along to a motors offline meet and get 4 or 5 different sets of photos to pick and choose from, giving us different styles etc..

However we also lack a creative edge over in motors offline so we were hoping ideas as to a location, set up and any other cool ideas for the pictures.

The cars are not a defined group, we simply a bunch of men and women that like all sorts of cars so you have all sorts of cars in there which may present a problem? or may allow people to get creative?

AnCathDubh has also recommended me get a model to pose wit the cars to make it more professional, so were lso looking for help with that.

So basically what I'm asking is:

for ideas on what location to shoot, ideas for setting up the cars and owners so that it looks professional.

For a group of photographers willing to come to a meet up and get a set of photos there willing to let us use.

For help with getting and organising a model.

As its for charity we unfortunately cant really offer any money and I know its a lot to ask but its for a good cause and we can come to some sort of arrangement as to advertising if a photgrapher wants some.

sorry about the long post, any questions feel free to post here or pm me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sounds great! I'll be up for any assistance with photos. I tried to get to a couple of the motor meets before but one thing or another usually got in the way.....
    I presume it will be starting in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

Wow fair play Draffodx, what a great charity idea! If you want a location near Dublin I would suggest the beach at Bettystown, cars always look great on the beach IMO. Oh and count me in as interested in tagging along too :D you can check out my car stuff over on my flickr. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I'd be up for it, I've been looking to get more involved in motor photography. Any idea when the next meet will be? I'm very time poor atm :(

EDIT: also I'm a member of a car forum, it's new and has a small number of regular posters but if you guys could benefit from the help of another club just let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevemcc

Hi guys, I think this is a great idea, and count me in. I'm a Dub but living in Mullingar so I might suggest to go for a drive to the lakes in Mullingar (only 45mins from Dublin), where there are car parks beside or overlooking the lakes.
    How many cars normally turn up to these events?

How about some group shots like this?

3722990039_80cde993c8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

^^^^^^^^^^^ Love that idea.

There's a quiet street in the Dublin Docklands that's very well lit

CSC_0418.jpg?t=1258149435

underground and multi storey car parks can be good spots too, depending on what kind of look you're going for

Brndn wrote: »

Hace you got a spare forklift and about 20 flashes? :D
    Seriously though, brilliant idea that could be done with some proper planning!
    m_s_nixon wrote: »
    There's a quiet street in the Dublin Docklands that's very well lit

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt263/m-s-nixon/CSC_0418.jpg?t=1258149435

underground and multi storey car parks can be good spots too, depending on what kind of look you're going for

+1 for underground carparks.....for free lighting they can't be beaten
    4061957961_199b56fa93.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

thanks for all the ideas!

Next meet is actually tomorrow morning, a rolling road day up in belfast but we could hold a meet specific for the photo shoot, the weather might hamper things unless we go for multi story or underground parking style.

I like the ideas of goin to a beach and the lakes though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

draffodx wrote: »
    thanks for all the ideas!

Next meet is actually tomorrow morning, a rolling road day up in belfast but we could hold a meet specific for the photo shoot, the weather might hamper things unless we go for multi story or underground parking style.

I like the ideas of goin to a beach and the lakes though

I have an idea on a venue for the shoot. I'll discuss it with you tomorrow. And I also know some models who would do this for free seeing as it's a charity gig

• Advertisement

if you're going to go through the hassle of getting the location, the cars, the models and the photographers you should think about doing something with the images to try and raise more money for charity (calendars etc.)

If people don't want their license plates shown you could try and get some boards.ie decals and stick them on the reverse side of the license plates for the shoot

Hace you got a spare forklift and about 20 flashes? :D
    Seriously though, brilliant idea that could be done with some proper planning!

I think it could be done handy enough: camera on tripod, couple of ninjas running around popping flashes and composite a few shots together.
    Just my 2 cents but as this is all about boardsies and their cars why would we want models? Surely its a bit misleading and a bit 'max power'. We could do a few group shots with the guys and gals standing proudly in front of their cars or the cars lined up outside a cafe in 'risky devils' style eg:

IMG_2388r.jpg

My other idea would be a chase shot with a few cars in it, probably using my car rig like Longshanks an I did together a while ago, except maybe with 3 or 4 cars in the shot. Just a few things to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

^^^^^^^^^^ love this too.

I may have (mis)led the discussion on having models when having the initial chat with draffodx before it hit the forum. I suppose my thinking was around this being used for some larger publicity drive and not that boardsie's wouldn't be photogenic ;) but models may just be that bit more comfortable being photographed for something that would go into a publication /publicity drive; plus perhaps more capable of taking direction and more used to striking kinds of pose. But if you think it wouldn't suit then I think dispense with it.

I think the owners with their cars is the way to go, maybe something like this from Paddy's website. I really like his shot of Dean Kearney

My votes on the ninjas!!

prius-ninja.jpg

I actually like the idea of using models, but it would have to be done in a different way to the max power style mentioned, more professional and up market if you get me.

It would give us a choice of a different style of photographs anyway along with the cars and owners

Were going to be discussing this at the next Dublin meet along with all other aspects of the charity drive, theres a karting meet tonight and after that Onkle will be starting the thread for the next Dublin meet,

They usually take place on a weekday evening in Dublin so if anyone would be interested in joining us then let us know.

EDIT: this is just a normal meet up to discuss ideas not the actual photo shoot meetup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

draffodx wrote: »
    Were going to be discussing this at the next Dublin meet along with all other aspects of the charity drive, theres a karting meet tonight and after that Onkle will be starting the thread for the next Dublin meet,

They usually take place on a weekday evening in Dublin so if anyone would be interested in joining us then let us know.

EDIT: this is just a normal meet up to discuss ideas not the actual photo shoot meetup

Karting meet is over now so I'll get working on the next Dublin meet. Probably sometime over the next 3 weeks

Is this photoshoot still happening? I'd like to get involved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Any chance that I could be involved in both?
    I'd like to do the drive and have a large(ish) pool of friends etc.. who would sponsor me. I also really enjoy talking pics of cars, my own included :)

Is this photoshoot still happening? I'd like to get involved :)

Yeh, I've got a new job and had to move to Dublin so things have been slower than I hoped at the start of the year.

But evenings are getting longer now so I hope to get the photoshoot organised, even a sort of setup meet where we all meet up, get to know each other, come up with ideas, get a few test shots and organise for the proper shoot?
    DK32 wrote: »
    Any chance that I could be involved in both?
    I'd like to do the drive and have a large(ish) pool of friends etc.. who would sponsor me. I also really enjoy talking pics of cars, my own included :)

Yep, no problem, I'm currently waiting to see if I can get a .ie domain for the website, then we have guys organising pricing for accomadation, route finalisation, corporate sponsorship packs.

If anyone is interested in helping out with the organisation of the event give me a pm

Ok guys,

the ball is starting to roll on this,

So with the evenings beginning to stretch I'd hope to get an evening sunset shoot somewhere around Dublin area.

So if you would be interested stick your name on the list and I'll send a pm when a location and date is chosen:

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

1) Dan King

1) Dan King
    2) Longshanks100 (Kevin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

3) swingking (Stephen)

Were having a motors offline meet this Thursday the 25th at 7pm in Dublin

if anyone wants to join us and help us with ideas for the photoshoot we'd be very grateful, pm me for location

Ah crap. The 25th doesn’t suit me. I’ve a once off late work thing on from 5-9pm in Ashbourne.
    Is this just a pre-meet up for ideas and the like?

Ah crap. The 25th doesn’t suit me. I’ve a once off late work thing on from 5-9pm in Ashbourne.
    Is this just a pre-meet up for ideas and the like?

Yeh its just a meet to sort out stuff with the event and anyone who wants to come along with photographic expertise is welcome.

We will be having another one not long after to finalise stuff on a Saturday

• Advertisement

Cool....although weekend of 6-7th march is out for me too. If that's the date you had in mind then work away without me

I missed this, i wouldn't have been able to make last night anyway. Count me in for whenever the photoshoot is taking place. Is there a date set yet?

I missed this, i wouldn't have been able to make last night anyway. Count me in for whenever the photoshoot is taking place. Is there a date set yet?

Not yet, if anyone is on facebook a group has been set up

I'm not sure how to link to it but search 'allthewayround' to join and keep up to date

I had a search (on my phone) for that facebook group but can't find anything...

I dunno how to link to groups on facebook :o

if you want to pm me your info I'll add you on facebook and invite you to the group.

To get this done and dusted could someone here pick a location to shoot and give a few dates they'll be available and we'll pick one and stick to it

Public forum has been set up on boards for the event, you can find it here

And I've set up a photography thread there so any one interested should get over there and actively take part.

Thanks in advance :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement