Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying Hardwood flooring

Options
  • 12-11-2009 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey. The floor boards in my 60's house need replacing. When I took up the carpet, it had been glued on, so that done a bit of damage taking that off. Then I varnished it way to dark, and alot of the boards are cracked, or cut in two. So long story short, time to replace.

Can anyone advise, is this something you would recommend someone take on them selves? Any tips or information I will need. I dont like the look of semi solid flooring, its kinda fake wood look, so I dont really want to just lay that on top of it. Also I want to put down insulation under the floorboards, since I think the floor is a big loss of heat. Anyone any experience doing this?

[edit] Can anyone recommend a type of wood, lightish, that looks aged. Also anyone know how thick it needs to be? [/edit]

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 builder34

hi

recently done same job in house in town complete refurb , architect required that we make sure existing vents are clear and install 100 mm xtratherm ridgid insulation on treated batons also time to level up floor at this stage if necessary then to lay 18 wbp (water based ply) and glue engineered flooring in place costly enough but sound job, can be done easily enough but depends on experience i would reccomend if going to this extreme not to take a chance and get a quote from a few carpenters

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

oxygen wrote: »
    I dont like the look of semi solid flooring, its kinda fake wood look, so I dont really want to just lay that on top of it.

I think you're confusing semi-solid with laminate.

Laminate is a melamine board with a photo of a wood grain printed on top.

Semi-solid is also known as engineered flooring. It's basically stable plywood with 3-6mm thick veneer of solid wood bonded on top. The top veneer is 100% genuine solid oak, birch, beech, walnut, etc. so I fail to comprehend how it could possibly look fake. They come pre-finished in gloss, semi-gloss or satin lacquer.

Advertisement