Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autochk.exe

• 12-11-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

My Packard Bell laptop needs to be fixed.

I installed a very old program from a freeware CD (some graphics tools or other) during the Summer and began to get "Autochk.exe" can not be found error messages.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=228146&start=0

The version of Windows was not fully Kosher to begin with and now I need to start from scratch.

Should I buy a Windows XP CD?

I spent a night downloading all the programs needed in order to reboot, and got a certain distance before coming up against a request for the CD to be uploaded.

I am relatively able to follow instructions, but do not know how to scrub a drive and reinstall.

Any links to how to proceed would be very welcome, please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I think I may have killed it.

This gives some idea of the traumas this brand has caused over the years:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/08/packard-bell-debuts-15-6-inch-easynote-butterfly-m-laptop/

However, when it works I really find it very reliable.

Is there anything I can do to revive a laptop that has just one little led light still glowing on the top left hand side of the keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

By removing the battery I can now start the computer from the mains successfully.

The CD player is broken and I cannot open it, but I have an external CD/DVD player with usb.

I can access the Bios (F2) and with F12 have tried to restart. However this does not work with any of the options given and Windows continues to try to upload, always giving the autoexec not found error.

I can access the dos command as well, but do not know how to proceed.

Any links or guidance would be very welcome, please.

I have thought of downloading Ubuntu and loading it alongside Windows, using an external hard drive.

Advertisement