Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 or Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

Options
  • 12-11-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Quick straw poll.

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
    or
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770

Was going to go for the 4870 and upgrade to the 5850 next year but perhaps it would be best to go for the 5770 now (€22 extra) and not have to think about an upgrade till 2011 at earliest?

Will be using 2 monitors straight away (possibly 3 next year if the LCD TV 2nd monitor gets shanghai'd by kids / wife)

One or the other... 8 votes

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870
    0% 0 votes
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Neither. Go for the 5850 now and buy a 2nd next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Neither. Go for the 5850 now and buy a 2nd next year
    And where (and more to the point, when) is he going to be able to get one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Correct. No stock for the 5850 so its one or the other of the cards mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

Also, I'm not gonna quote figures or benchmarks here, however I am going to be bold enough to say that you know you're not getting anything more (performanc-wise) with the 5770 bar dx11 support. And if you're not gonna need more performancre than 4870/5770 (at least until 5850/70's become dirt cheap) then go with a 5770. You'd get more if you sell it second hand when there are dx11 games about.

Edit: Ok, I've just gone and looked at some benchmarks and youmight get a tiny bit more performance-wise with the 5770 - depends on which benchmarks you look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Brando we need to know what resolution your screens are. Whether you plan on using the two screens on an extended desktop setup(at the same time, but not in sync) or not.

Another deciding factor in which gpu to get would be what power supply you have, the exact model.
    This is very important as the 4870 and 58xx's are quite power hungry.

The 5770's are overpriced right now but, depending on your psu... it could still be a worthwhile option. The 58xx have also increased in price due to demand

You might aswell post your full system specs here and also what you'll be using the pc for too.

#}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Effluo wrote: »
    Brando we need to know what resolution your screens are. Whether you plan on using the two screens on an extended desktop setup(at the same time, but not in sync) or not.

Another deciding factor in which gpu to get would be what power supply you have, the exact model.
    This is very important as the 4870 and 58xx's are quite power hungry.

The 5770's are overpriced right now but, depending on your psu... it could still be a worthwhile option. The 58xx have also increased in price due to demand

You might aswell post your full system specs here and also what you'll be using the pc for too.

#}

The spec is included in THIS THREAD with the PC requirements in the OP and the decided spec at post 27 (note since swapped out 32Gd SSD for the 64GD SSD refereed to later on in the thread)

Monitors would be at 1920x1080 and would be 1 extended desktop for the majority of the time I am using the PC. The LCD TV (2nd monitor) would be used for streaming / sky multi-rooming / xboxing when not in desktop use.

Wife is actually suggesting opting for the three screen option which I may do post Christmas and for that I'll just get another of the 2ms LCD's refereed to in the thread mentioned above, which may leave the 5770 as the only real viable option (and for only €22 extra it might be worth the punt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

a little birdie tells me a certain irish retailer is getting a good few of these in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Anti wrote: »
    a little birdie tells me a certain irish retailer is getting a good few of these in soon.

The 5850? Who is getting stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Yes, do tell plz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Tease:P

C'mon tells the folks before they sell out

• Advertisement
Advertisement